Gaming Most hyped but ultimately disappointing game you’ve played

Zen86

FF16. It was carried by the demo/intro which got the hype train going. It was pretty meh like most recent FFs after that.

Oranges038

Roberto Baggio Magical Kicks.

Took forever to load on the landline modem.

Hughes35

But you are literally asking for unique content with the storyline having you do different things!

The background is the easy part because they can reuse assets, but literally everything else you’re asking for would require much more development.
Well yes but their current story line also has you doing different things..... Just the different things are shit.

Moby

Dick
I don't know if we can say it was really hyped but people usually have good things to say about Subnautica, I spent a fair few hours doing it, thought it was a bit shite apart from the whole nice atmosphere etc which isn't enough for me.

Ainu

I don't know if we can say it was really hyped but people usually have good things to say about Subnautica, I spent a fair few hours doing it, thought it was a bit shite apart from the whole nice atmosphere etc which isn't enough for me.
I would say the early game is its weakest point, it's not until I got started with base building that I really got into it. But at the end of the day, not every good game is for everyone.

Moby

Dick
I would say the early game is its weakest point, it's not until I got started with base building that I really got into it. But at the end of the day, not every good game is for everyone.
Yeah definitely that's what I usually put down that to as I don't get much into these gathering resources and building kind of games, and I can understand the initial part would be the slowest. I did build the base with a few things but I don't think it provided something to motivate the player into continuing. I feel this is a kind of game which you can spend time with when you really have nothing else to do.

fergiewherearethou

Supports
Erik ten Hag
It’s just such a poor story and none of the characters have any depth what so ever. Compare it to the story in either red dead or iv and it’s just a bloated crap show.

you ask most people what the most memorable mission in that game is and I bet it’s either the boat heist mission or Trevor’s introduction where he kills JK(feck off with spoilers, the game is 10 years old) and it’s merely for the shock factor to see a main rockstar protagonist get disposed of so quickly.
I honestly quite enjoyed the characters, especially Michael and Trevor. I don't remember much of the story, as I played it twice and it was a long time ago, but I will play it again surely until VI arrives.
Even if you didn't like the story, which was less complex than RDR obviously and less good, but the graphics at the time, the complexity, the humor, the stuff you could do, were incredible, especially for an old game as it is.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
FF16. It was carried by the demo/intro which got the hype train going. It was pretty meh like most recent FFs after that.
Really? I was so close to buying it after the great demo.

Revan

Assumptionman
Watchdogs. Looked great in trailers and everyone was going nuts, the game was as generic as a game can be.

Cyberpunk. After The Witcher 3 being probably the best game of all time, everyone was excited for Cyberpunk. Then CD Project decided to release it around 2 years before it was ready and the game was completely broken.

Wing Attack Plan R

Watchdogs. Looked great in trailers and everyone was going nuts, the game was as generic as a game can be.

Cyberpunk. After The Witcher 3 being probably the best game of all time, everyone was excited for Cyberpunk. Then CD Project decided to release it around 2 years before it was ready and the game was completely broken.
Watchdogs was all pretty graphics and Cool Britannia. Totally generic. I did enjoy getting on a cargo drone and just flying around the city, though.

Cyberpunk with patches is a great game, though.

Chairman Steve

Diablo 3

Diablo 2 may be one of the best games ever made and I believe its the best game Blizzard have made to date. The hype for D3 was huge and it was so disappointing. The main campaign was shockingly short and too linear. The difficulty of it was surprisingly easy. The customisation of character was scaled back. I didn’t like the ‘always online’ element of it either.

And I didn’t like the general visual design of it. It was very bright colour-wise and borderline anime which contradicts the previous two Diablos which were dark, gritty and gothic.

It‘s the point where I realised Blizzard were no longer this top tier game dev studio anymore.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
This should be fun as I’m sure there’s a few that have come out over the years.

For me:

1. Hogwarts Legacy - beautiful to start, never finished it. Trash story and same same gameplay as you play through. Overrated but has so much promise to be made better.

2. Gran Turismo 5 - promised so much, delivered so little. GT7 is finally what was promised…. 12 years after.

3. GTAV - played this again recently and was reminded why I hadn’t played it in 8 years. The gameplay itself is fine but the story is hot trash. Absolute dog shit. A true lesson in people getting caught up in hype of a GTA game.

special mention to mafia 2 which is not a bad game, but nowhere near mafia 1. Cyberpunk has been made good apparently but I never bought into it.
Interesting because Mafia 1 is up there for me on this list. Very cool premise and mood but plays awfully. Maybe doesn’t count as I only played it last year, but that was because of how much hype it receives to this day.

Zen86

Really? I was so close to buying it after the great demo.
I’m always a bit suspicious of new FF games these days, but the demo was great and had me hooked. It declined from there though IMO. The story weakens considerably and the actual gameplay becomes a bit monotonous.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
I’m always a bit suspicious of new FF games these days, but the demo was great and had me hooked. It declined from there though IMO. The story weakens considerably and the actual gameplay becomes a bit monotonous.
Im going to finish it because i bought it full price digitally. Despite some pretty fights and cutscenes it was such horrible design decision to have action game locked to super duper easy mode and very easy mode for 1st playthrough. I feel like to the most skillfull move you do is to remember to press r1 when there is qte telling you to do a dodge.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
God of War 2018. I borrowed it soon after release and just couldn't get into it. The gameplay felt generic, the characters never shut up, the story didn't grip me. Then I heard it was really really really good so I re-bought it and nothing changed.

Withnail

God of War 2018. I borrowed it soon after release and just couldn't get into it. The gameplay felt generic, the characters never shut up, the story didn't grip me. Then I heard it was really really really good so I re-bought it and nothing changed.
I hate those games. I tried a few and never saw the appeal.

I tend not to get involved in hype though. I'm usually a bit behind the curve so play games a good bit after they've come out when the price has come down and you can see what the concensus is.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
It was Red Dead 2 for me. I loved the first one, thought it to be one of the best games of PS3/360 era and one of the best stories in gaming. While the world they created in the second one was beyond fantastic, and the story held up very well, the mission structure with all the shooting got me disinterested halfway through and I had to genuinely force myself to finish it. It felt like if they made it a third shorter, with less insane shooting, it would have been a much better experience.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Elden Ring - I thought this might be the game to get me into the genre but no it’s still the same absolute mess of a story. I like the world but the loop just doesn’t work for me.

Ghost of Tsushima - it looks pretty and the combat is absolutely phenomenal, but the world itself and characters are the definition of bland and the quests are incredibly repetitive. I’d like to try it one more time on PS5 to see if I can finish it, but I just can’t bring myself back to it due to how bland the characters are

GTA 5 - would agree with other comments on here. It’s a pretty boring story and really for all the hype I think the Online is abit boring too.

Horizon 2 - I was never as big a fan of the first game as some so wasn’t mega hyped for 2. I just can’t bring myself to finish it as it’s just so bloated.

Assassins Creed Valhalla - I actually ended up really enjoying AC Odyssey despite it being incredibly bloated. I felt at the very least the gameplay was fun and could hold your interest. I don’t know what Ubisoft tried to do in Valhalla but they absolutely destroyed the combat. It’s not realistic and weighty, but it’s also not arcadey like it was in Odyssey. They managed to find a horrible middle ground where the combat had no weight and no real satisfaction. Shame as I think if the gameplay was fun I might have got through it!

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Yep, agree with you regarding Ghost of Tsushima. Bland lead character, repetitive 'save the villagers' side quests but good combat mechanics and the visuals and sound design are of high quality.
I lost interest in it though.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Has to be Cyberpunk. cDPR basically promised the best open world experience ever with loads of variety and options and delivered on none of it whilst also releasing a broken buggy messy.

Bobski

Horizon, Tsushima, games I tried through PS+ when I got my PS5 and were just dull, yet pretty versions of games that have been done 100 times in the last 10 years.

TrustInJanuzaj

Horizon, Tsushima, games I tried through PS+ when I got my PS5 and were just dull, yet pretty versions of games that have been done 100 times in the last 10 years.
Yeh that’s my issue with them. For me while I do get the criticism of a game like Cyberpunk (and the launch was a horrendous mess!). Fundamentally cyberpunk was trying to be far more adventurous than games like Ghost of Tsushima. I guess it comes down do what you’d prefer, a super polished experience but one which is largely abit empty. Or a game that doesn’t deliver on its promises but ultimately still delivers more than the vast majority of games on the market. Cyberpunk post updates and DLC is a cracking game and second only to Skyrim for me as an open ended role playing experience.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Cyberpunk - Loved TW3, so this must be amazing. No it fecking wasn't.
RDR2 - horse riding simulator, woohoo.
GTA5 - I get it, it's satire, so edgy, boooring.
Breath of the Wild 1&2 - Maybe I don't like open world games.
FF16 - I love a good cinematic action game. Love it more when it isnt easy enough me 0 year old daughter can beat it (fine, she's actually 1).

But, worst offender of all time, Command and Conquer 3 or is it 4? The one without base building. It's 4. Why wpuld you take the core part of your game out of your game, eejits.

Oh and Rome 2 Total War and Empire Total War at launch. Both great now. CA should just hire all modders and fire themselves.

Last edited:

Ainu

Yeh that’s my issue with them. For me while I do get the criticism of a game like Cyberpunk (and the launch was a horrendous mess!). Fundamentally cyberpunk was trying to be far more adventurous than games like Ghost of Tsushima. I guess it comes down do what you’d prefer, a super polished experience but one which is largely abit empty. Or a game that doesn’t deliver on its promises but ultimately still delivers more than the vast majority of games on the market. Cyberpunk post updates and DLC is a cracking game and second only to Skyrim for me as an open ended role playing experience.
As someone who only started playing Cyberpunk after 2.0, I still don't see it. It's a beautifully realized world but ultimately completely vapid, with no real reason to explore any of it. What it does well are things like characters and dialogue, but as an open-world game, I find it decidedly mediocre.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I'll get hate but I was hyped to play Breath of the Wild after getting my switch a few years back but I just don't enjoy it at all. No idea why really as those type of games are usually my favourites but I just found it boring and couldn't get into it. :(

weetee

Supports
no-one in particular
Think I‘m too old to get super excited about a ultra hyped game anymore so when it ultimately disappoints it‘s nothing unexpected anymore. But I remember playing the Doom3 (tech)demo eons ago which was a blast and a truly hyped game in an iconic franchise but once it finally dropped many years later it was super disappointing and didn‘t feel like OG Doom at all. Fun thing though, it’s still a good game once the dust settled..but no wonder they did a 180degree turnaround after it while taking a what felt like 10years long hiatus as well.

Star Wars Battlefront (the last two games) comes to mind as well.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
I'll get hate but I was hyped to play Breath of the Wild after getting my switch a few years back but I just don't enjoy it at all. No idea why really as those type of games are usually my favourites but I just found it boring and couldn't get into it. :(
I tried to get into it (and the sequel) several times, but it doesn't click with me either. The world just feels so empty and the combat with the degradable weapons is just stupid. Some of the puzzles are definitely cool, but I just don't really like puzzles.

I can never shake the feeling that Nintendo's IP's are immensely overrated. Or maybe I'm just too old or out of touch for Nintendo games. Though on the other hand I just beat Pokemon HeartGold for the umpteenth time on my old 3DS, so I can't be that old. It's the children who are wrong.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I tried to get into it (and the sequel) several times, but it doesn't click with me either. The world just feels so empty and the combat with the degradable weapons is just stupid. Some of the puzzles are definitely cool, but I just don't really like puzzles.

I can never shake the feeling that Nintendo's IP's are immensely overrated. Or maybe I'm just too old or out of touch for Nintendo games. Though on the other hand I just beat Pokemon HeartGold for the umpteenth time on my old 3DS, so I can't be that old. It's the children who are wrong.
The old Pokémon games are still great and I can blast through them but the new one is fecking awful and yeah, the new Zelda games just do nothing for me..understand how people like them but I just find them empty too.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
The old Pokémon games are still great and I can blast through them but the new one is fecking awful and yeah, the new Zelda games just do nothing for me..understand how people like them but I just find them empty too.
The Pokemon Arceus thing was decent imho. All the other Switch games are crap though, I agree.

As for Zelda, it's definitely a well crafted and charming game, but meh.

Ainu

It can be tempting to think of certain things as overrated, but most of the time it just boils down to not liking something that a lot of other people adore. Does that make it overrated? No, it just means it isn't for you.

Nintendo can sometimes (ok, often) get a free pass from the professional games media, but if there's one thing you can pretty much bet your house on, it's that every single one of their main IP games is of an incredibly high standard. That still doesn't mean everyone is going to love it though.

Edit: I realize I said almost the exact same thing about Cyberpunk just a few posts ago, without actually using the word overrated. :lol: Sometimes you just don't get certain games I guess.

Last edited:

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Final Fantasy IX - derivative gameplay and overall just weird.
Well... it's supposed to be a fantasy. I thought the story writing is excellent, granted it's a bit romancey. I don't understand why people think of it as weird, it was refreshing to see FF going back to it's root (demi humans, black mages, eikons, kingdoms, etc). Better than some edgy guy swinging gunblade "hurr durr I'm a quiet guy, girls go after me".

TrustInJanuzaj

As someone who only started playing Cyberpunk after 2.0, I still don't see it. It's a beautifully realized world but ultimately completely vapid, with no real reason to explore any of it. What it does well are things like characters and dialogue, but as an open-world game, I find it decidedly mediocre.
Yeh that’s fair enough, but it’s the same with Skyrim. Some people really don’t “get” it. Skyrim flourishes because it lets your imagination do the work. Create a character, create a backstory and create a play style that fits that imaginary narrative. Cyberpunk is slightly more restrictive but you can still easily do multiple unique builds, imagine multiple back stories (within the three backstories the game provides). Once I have that framework frankly I can do the rest. It’s why for me personally, while I like the Witcher and I’ve beaten it twice, it still doesn’t come class to the freedom of Skyrim. Believe it or not there’s really not many games that provide that so when they get that combination right of good world, good lore and freedom to choose your own character they tend to be special for me.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
GTA IV was probably my most hyped game, I wasn't disappointed but it never enchanted me like San Andreas and Vice City.