Gaming Most hyped but ultimately disappointing game you’ve played

RedRocket08

From the recent releases: Starfield for me, seemed like Bethesda would finally get their act together for this but nope.

Shitshows from the start: Fallout 4 and Fallout 76 although I didn't buy that one, Haven't bought any of the MK games after X, haven't bought any of the EA FC/Fifa games since around 2013. Thought GTA V/Online was a bit mediocre as well and I don't have a lot of expectations for 6.

Cyberpunk - Pre ordered because TW3 is one my all-time faves and instantly regretted it on release. Left it till it got patched, and it actually became very good game, although not as good as TW3.

Stayed the from games like Star Wars, Diablo 4, Hogwarts Legacy etc. Hogwarts Legacy doesn't seem like a bad game though, but didn't think it lived up to the hype.

Games I'm playing right now - Alan Wake 2, Resident Evil 4, Stardew Valley

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
From the recent releases: Starfield for me, seemed like Bethesda would finally get their act together for this but nope.

Shitshows from the start: Fallout 4 and Fallout 76 although I didn't buy that one, Haven't bought any of the MK games after X, haven't bought any of the EA FC/Fifa games since around 2013. Thought GTA V/Online was a bit mediocre as well and I don't have a lot of expectations for 6.

Cyberpunk - Pre ordered because TW3 is one my all-time faves and instantly regretted it on release. Left it till it got patched, and it actually became very good game, although not as good as TW3.

Stayed the from games like Star Wars, Diablo 4, Hogwarts Legacy etc. Hogwarts Legacy doesn't seem like a bad game though, but didn't think it lived up to the hype.

Games I'm playing right now - Alan Wake 2, Resident Evil 4, Stardew Valley
What’s disappointing about Hogwarts Legacy isn’t that it’s a poorly made game, it’s that the story is absolute crap and the repetition of side missions is frustrating.

Gameplay and game engine wise is very good and Hogwarts itself is a phenomenal piece of game construction.

Similar things could be said about Ghost of Tsushima but the story in that and the sword play are enough to elevate it.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
I remember a game called Nights into Dreams that was supposed to be Sega’s answer to Mario 64 (which was fairly groundbreaking at the time).

Needless to say it was crap, a right flop and I ended up buying a Nintendo 64 and binning off my Sega Saturn

hobbers

AC3. The point where the franchise stopped being story and gameplay driven and became a giant map full of collectibles
Cyberpunk. My god the world was so bugged and lifeless.
Hogwarts. Too much energy spent building another giant empty map with endless collectibles while the actual main story was boring as feck.
Starfield. Empty, barren, pointless and a chore to play most of the time, like the previous 3.

Obviously anything made by Activision, EA or Ubisoft over the last 10 years has been dogshit.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
I picked FFVII remake like 1-2 years ago and didn't actually play it until today, always gave myself an excuse to play it later because Im tired from work and all that. 3 hours in and I'm bored already. Yeah the combat and graphics are nice but I bought this game knowing I had beaten the original 3 times, crisis core 2 times. It might be unfair to the game for not giving it more time but it is a lesson learned for me. I don't think I'd buy more remake games anymore because what I'm interested mainly is the story. If I already know 80-90% of the story or at least the concept behind it then it'll feel like rewatching a movie. And I'm defo not as excited for good graphics as I was back then, so it's not even a big plus anymore. All modern games look pretty now. And I also dreaded the forced slow walks in some areas.

I think all remakes will probably end up disappointing for me.

Last edited:

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
I'm playing through Elden Ring again before the dlc. Just beat Malenia. It only reminds me that people forget just how bad the engine is, and all the problems of DS2 just come back in ridiculous ways that got overlooked this time.

It's not a bad game, nothing from From is, but the fact everyone just accepts the flaws because "OMG IT'S OPEN WORLD!" (despite half way through, it's really fecking not) is grating.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
I'm playing through Elden Ring again before the dlc. Just beat Malenia. It only reminds me that people forget just how bad the engine is, and all the problems of DS2 just come back in ridiculous ways that got overlooked this time.

It's not a bad game, nothing from From is, but the fact everyone just accepts the flaws because "OMG IT'S OPEN WORLD!" (despite half way through, it's really fecking not) is grating.
All those games just have a cult following who wouldn't say a bad word no matter what happened to then, could literally fill them full of micro transactions and people would defend them.

I get they're a good challenge for people who like that sort of thing though.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
I picked FFVII remake like 1-2 years ago and didn't actually play it until today, always gave myself an excuse to play it later because Im tired from work and all that. 3 hours in and I'm bored already. Yeah the combat and graphics are nice but I bought this game knowing I had beaten the original 3 times, crisis core 2 times. It might be unfair to the game for not giving it more time but it is a lesson learned for me. I don't think I'd buy more remake games anymore because what I'm interested mainly is the story. If I already know 80-90% of the story or at least the concept behind it then it'll feel like rewatching a movie. And I'm defo not as excited for good graphics as I was back then, so it's not even a big plus anymore. All modern games look pretty now. And I also dreaded the forced slow walks in some areas.

I think all remakes will probably end up disappointing for me.
Yeah I've done this a couple times too, I loved a game, get the remake and am bored within the first 2-3 hours because it's either dated or I know the story and that's why I play.

I like remasters/remakes such as CTR and the crash series, but not story driven games.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
All those games just have a cult following who wouldn't say a bad word no matter what happened to then, could literally fill them full of micro transactions and people would defend them.

I get they're a good challenge for people who like that sort of thing though.
It's very cool to hate on DS2, despite Elden ring and Sekiro both using that version of the engine and the cheap shit level design.

They are challenging games, by far not the most, but the point was about learning how to play and master them. That is supposed to be the fun. Balancing it all with an open world was always going to be tough, and From did so much better than I expected on that front, but the fact it's still the same old ropey shite engine from 2009 and has all the same problems and then some from the supposed worst game in the series just really disappoints me.

Oh and then they doubled down on input reading to the "AI"...feck sake

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Cyberpunk 2077. It wasn't even a bad game, but after Witcher 3 I was disappointed. It was rushed to launch and it was clear where they had cut corners.

Fortunately the developers seem to be one of the last remaining AAA teams that actually have any semblance of respect for gamers, and since launch they've worked hard at making the game they promised. It's close enough and nowadays it's great to play, Choom.

Actually, no, it's not just great to play. It's fecking amazing. CDPR properly redeemed themselves after the initial feck up. I won't pre order another game ever thanks to them, but I still appreciate the work they put into fixing their mistakes. Reputation over initial profit. Respect.

Asger

I would say Valorant. It's basically Counter Strike with some magic shit..

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Yeah I've done this a couple times too, I loved a game, get the remake and am bored within the first 2-3 hours because it's either dated or I know the story and that's why I play.

I like remasters/remakes such as CTR and the crash series, but not story driven games.
Oh yeah some games have great replayability like crash and mario series. But most JRPGs don't have it unless if you're just attempting harder bosses or do challenges after beating the game just for fun. But replaying it more than a decade later with same stories, just different 'skin' isn't that interesting to me... my friends loved it, I don't. No matter how good the graphics are.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
I was really looking forward to Eiyuden Chronicle for God knows how long. Not sure how after raising most of the world's kickstarter money they release what looks like a PS2 game and have it full of bugs with shite performance.

Also has the worst voice acting ever. Just don't do voice acting if you're not going to hire competent people for it.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
I gotta say I don't understand the love for dragons dogma 2. Story is terrible. Companions literally don't matter. Towns are few and far between. Gameplay is loose to the point of being manic, and I'm constantly fighting the camera to actually target enemies. Finished it because I felt like I should, but the positivity is bizarre. Barely feels like the devs were done w it.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Would like to add Overwatch 2. It was so hyped back then, was going to be Blizzard's saviour. Ended up as a money grabbing unfinished crap on release.

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
I never felt it played badly on first playthrough, subsequent playthroughs I can see how it can be said to be poor. Not sure if it's aged badly, or it was just always bad.
It may not have helped that I played it a while after release and there are loads of games that play better. I really enjoyed the story mind but couldn’t get on with it.

That being said it’s so subjective because there’s been plenty of games that play like shit which I’ve loved so

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
It may not have helped that I played it a while after release and there are loads of games that play better. I really enjoyed the story mind but couldn’t get on with it.

That being said it’s so subjective because there’s been plenty of games that play like shit which I’ve loved so
I sometimes go back to games which I thought handled great and everything about gameplay was fine, but when I do go back, it's a horror show, clunky, slow, buggy movement and fighting. It's pretty weird how much smoother games get year by year, small tweaks make huge differences.

I know there was some improvements in Witcher movement in the options added in a patch at some point, tried it and didn't see much difference myself.