MotD 2020/2021

Jack-C20

Jenas actually speaking a lot of sense. It’s the end of days.
I’m rethinking everything. If he thinks the goal should have stood, maybe it was right to rule it out. Was actually very complimentary in general.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
How hot is Alex Scott today!

As per usual she shits all over the male guest.
Really? I thought their analysis was equally terrible. They're just stating the bleedin' obvious while stumbling over their words. They're not informative or articulate. It's like they'd won a competition to appear on MOTD for the evening.

Last edited:
Shearer, Jenas and Mitten talking about the protest

interesting.

it’s pundits the past few weeks who have got fans relied up - they have to take some responsibility.

it’s also clear that the likes of Shearer and Jenus (prick) don’t get it. It’s not just about the money spent. That’s all they focus on.

mitten missed a trick by not commentating on the lack of investment in the stadium.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
These same pricks see no issue with the City/Chelsea model either. Beyond dim.

DavidDeSchmikes

Good that Mitten brought up Bury and Macclesfield. Wonder if other fans watching today will try and protest against their owners (Newcastle, Arsenal, Oldham, Swindon etc)

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
So frustrating watching Jenas and Shearer saying “explain it to us”. Do your fecking research.

Shearer bringing up net spend just showed he doesn’t get it. I wish Mitten had told them it’s not the Glazer’s money we’ve been spending on transfers.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
So frustrating watching Jenas and Shearer saying “explain it to us”. Do your fecking research.

Shearer bringing up net spend just showed he doesn’t get it. I wish Mitten had told them it’s not the Glazer’s money we’ve been spending on transfers.
It was their money though. They could have spent less money on transfers and taken more money out of the club (dividends, debt repayments, whatever) I think that’s a fair point and it’s interesting to see our net spend up against oil money clubs that don’t need to be run as profitable businesses. The amount of money we’ve wasted is unforgivable but the amount of money invested seems reasonable enough to me.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
It was their money though. They could have spent less money on transfers and taken more money out of the club (dividends, debt repayments, whatever) I think that’s a fair point and it’s interesting to see our net spend up against oil money clubs that don’t need to be run as profitable businesses. The amount of money we’ve wasted is unforgivable but the amount of money invested seems reasonable enough to me.
It's not the Glazers money that's being spent.
There was a graphic doing the rounds last week showing the level of spending by each super League club and where that money has come from.
United's owners haven't put in a penny, the money spent was money made by United.

You can say that Woodward got the commercial side of the club right, but the Glazers have not invested their own money in the future of this club.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
There was a graphic doing the rounds last week showing the level of spending by each super League club and where that money has come from.
United's owners haven't put in a penny, the money spent was money made by United.

You can say that Woodward got the commercial side of the club right, but the Glazers have not invested their own money in the future of this club.
They own the club. That’s their money either way.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
It's quite clearly not, it's the clubs money,
Totally agree. As a season ticket holder seeing part time fans trying to justify the ownership model with ‘they own it’...they do...and it should never have been allowed. I’m proud of the stance we took today for Manchester. If you’re from Ireland and attend the odd game you’ll never understand. But keep on pretending you do.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
interesting.

it’s pundits the past few weeks who have got fans relied up - they have to take some responsibility.

it’s also clear that the likes of Shearer and Jenus (prick) don’t get it. It’s not just about the money spent. That’s all they focus on.

mitten missed a trick by not commentating on the lack of investment in the stadium.
I think one or both knew but it was scripted as a segway to let Mitten explain it's not about money spent. At least Shearer was definitely told to bring it up, because he was reading off a sheet.

Spark

? Am I missing something?
The club spends money that the club earns. They haven’t dumped a load of money in to spend on players (Abramovich - £1.3bn in “loans”, I believe). The club has spent within its means, despite the Glazers taking money out, unlike Chelsea and City - not that I’d want a sugar daddy either, point is those clubs are simply not large enough businesses to have been able to afford their expenditure in the past 15 years.

Whilst it’s the Glazers’ club (70% or whatever the number of shares that aren’t floated are), arguably it isn’t their money as they borrowed to buy it in the first place. United’s assets were used as collateral to fund the take over. Since then that debt has been repackaged a couple times, all the while various Glazers have personally profited by taking large dividends or dumping shares.

Ultimately the Glazers have taken far more money out of the club than they have put in. The club was earning a shit load of cash before they took over and it’ll continue to earn cash long after they’re gone.

They’re parasitic owners, end of.

@Champ correct me if I’m wrong.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello

Pundits have never seemed to grasp that the minute they stopped playing and started giving opinions, they basically became journalists. It used to manifest itself in a vaguely amusing reluctance to pronounce foreign names (let alone know anything useful about European opposition) but now it's a total ignorance of how English fans feel about their owners.

If they had anything about them they'd be getting clued up on how English fans feel but you just know that Shearer and Jenas will be content to go through the motions with a minimum of effort next week. They're stealing a living.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
The club spends money that the club earns. They haven’t dumped a load of money in to spend on players (Abramovich - £1.3bn in “loans”, I believe). The club has spent within its means, despite the Glazers taking money out, unlike Chelsea and City - not that I’d want a sugar daddy either, point is those clubs are simply not large enough businesses to have been able to afford their expenditure in the past 15 years.

Whilst it’s the Glazers’ club (70% or whatever the number of shares that aren’t floated are), arguably it isn’t their money as they borrowed to buy it in the first place. United’s assets were used as collateral to fund the take over. Since then that debt has been repackaged a couple times, all the while various Glazers have personally profited by taking large dividends or dumping shares.

Ultimately the Glazers have taken far more money out of the club than they have put in. The club was earning a shit load of cash before they took over and it’ll continue to earn cash long after they’re gone.

Thanks for this.

Said it perfectly.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer

This. People like Shearer but also fans believe that the Glazers spent money. No they didnt, they only bought shares as an investment. Thats it! So they take money out, not in. For them it is the same as buying stocks at another company and then demanding dividends. The club has to pay the interest, about a billion. That could have gone into the stadium, Carrington, players, wherever

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018

All correct and agreed. I think the only point that was being made was that the money that IS being devoted to transfers is still at the discretion of the owners and they could just as easily have NOT spent it, or not as much. I'm not arguing for the Glazer's at all, I agree that their model of ownership is pretty toxic and runs contrary to where we need to go.

pass.pass.pass

Part of the ex-footballer pundits' culture. Their current jobs are apparently beneath them because they used to be players (sh*t players in Jenas' case).

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
All correct and agreed. I think the only point that was being made was that the money that IS being devoted to transfers is still at the discretion of the owners and they could just as easily have NOT spent it, or not as much. I'm not arguing for the Glazer's at all, I agree that their model of ownership is pretty toxic and runs contrary to where we need to go.
They did so by protecting their assets. Look at our transfer window, most of them were shit. And they usually spent the year we didnt make the CL. As soon as we did, the spending decreased.

giggs-beckham

Clueless

Hello Dragons, I'm here today to ask for £75,000 in exchange for a 0% stake in my business.

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
They did so by protecting their assets. Look at our transfer window, most of them were shit. And they usually spent the year we didnt make the CL. As soon as we did, the spending decreased.
Again, not defending our spending or the Glazer's. Just saying that this distinction between 'their' money and 'the club's ' money is a bit of an artificial one.

They're taking what, 30m out of the club in dividends every year? And another 60 odd million goes out in interest payments on the debt they used to purchase the club. That's money that's not getting invested in the club that otherwise would be. The best part of 100m a year is being taken out of the club by them, and they didn't put a cent of their own money in to buy it. They used their connections to borrow money against the club's assets. That's why they're leeches and why everybody wants them out.

It's very different to clubs like Liverpool where their owners simply aim to buy low with their own money and sell high one day, without taking anything out in between.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
They're taking what, 30m out of the club in dividends every year? And another 60 odd million goes out in interest payments on the debt they used to purchase the club. That's money that's not getting invested in the club that otherwise would be. The best part of 100m a year is being taken out of the club by them, and they didn't put a cent of their own money in to buy it. They used their connections to borrow money against the club's assets. That's why they're leeches and why everybody wants them out.

It's very different to clubs like Liverpool where their owners simply aim to buy low with their own money and sell high one day, without taking anything out in between.
I get all of that. And I want them out for the same reasons.

I was only making the point that’s it fair to point out they’ve invested heavily in the squad to try and remain competitive since their golden goose, Fergie, retired. The table they showed in MOTD really brings it home just how heavily they’ve invested compared to other big clubs. And that it’s been sustained investment over a long period of time, often without CL income to offset the expenditure.

All of which isn’t going to make us an appealing purchase for potential future owners when they see so much money spent on signing new players and fans still singing about building bonfires with them on top.

cyberman

Its the way our club is run and the ESL ffs obvious as anything. How Shearer etc can sit there 2 weeks ago worrying about English football then act as if this isnt releated is mind boggingly naive or disingenuous at best.
They were a step away from killing our club 14 days ago

Dan_F

Unbelievable that the BBC are using Shearer’s quotes in their lead in story. “Protests described as unacceptable”. By who? Alan Shearer? Who cares what he thinks about United.

I get all of that. And I want them out for the same reasons.

I was only making the point that’s it fair to point out they’ve invested heavily in the squad to try and remain competitive since their golden goose, Fergie, retired. The table they showed in MOTD really brings it home just how heavily they’ve invested compared to other big clubs. And that it’s been sustained investment over a long period of time, often without CL income to offset the expenditure.

All of which isn’t going to make us an appealing purchase for potential future owners when they see so much money spent on signing new players and fans still singing about building bonfires with them on top.
Not taking more money out is a lot different to putting their own money in. Could they have stripped our assets to the bone? Sure. Does not doing so make them saints? Feck no.

We've spent a fortune with them at the helm. We could have spend twice as much if they weren't here.

Chairman Steve

Surprised Shearer couldn’t see the parallels of the Glazers and Ashley at Newcastle. Guarantee in some hypothetical scenario if ESL bosses posted an invite to Newcastle, Ashley would have accepted it in a heartbeat and no second thoughts whatsoever.

kidbob

interesting.

Yep early in the clip when he said it was a reaction to the last 10 days and the ESL then I knew he'd be full of shit. Its a reaction to what they have done after taking us over, even during the years where SAF covered for their bullshit and we were successful. Look at how they allowed us to replace Ronaldo and tell me that they 'invested' with a straight face. From even the early days they fecked us by not giving the funds to our best manager ever to really leave a proper team behind for his successor. Parasites is all they have ever been.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Little segment on Cavani and Greenwood - the master and the apprentice - on MOTD was very enjoyable to watch. Shearer absolutely purring about the pair of them. He may be a bit annoying as a pundit but he was a legitimately brilliant striker so coming from him that sort of praise means a lot.