Mourinho ditches the Lowry and gives fitness coach more prominent role

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...stars-gifted-home-comforts-Jose-Mourinho.html
  • United had been staying overnight at the Lowry ahead of home games for over a decade since Fergie was in charge, with Moyes and LVG continuing the tradition.
  • Mourinho believes players will benefit more from staying at home but the squad have been told the new arrangement will be monitored.
  • Most players have welcomed it, though some have reservations.
  • Carlos Lalin - fitness coach who worked with Mourinho at Real Madrid and Chelsea - now has more responsibility.
  • Medical personnel was reshuffled last month with first-team physio Neil Hough now heading the academy's physiotherapy department. Hough's deputy Richard Merron has now replaced him as first-team physio, with academy physio Jon Picot joining Hough in the first-team setup.
  • Lalin believed to be exerting greater influence, with Mourinho keen for the players' recovery process to be sped up.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Not sure I see the logic in doing away with the team being together from the night before the game.

binary bot
Remember reading about Guardiola and it being one of the things he changed at Barca, staying at home before a game - probably more placebo than anything else.

peridigm

So has this already happened prior to our first home game? If so, seems to be okay. If not, don't fix what isn't broken.

EyeInTheSky

I think this is more down to the fact that the press can't see who's in the squad/travelled the day before and have line up given away like we have seen previously.

This should also highlight any indiscipline from players

jeff_goldblum

To be honest I'd rather spend the night before any big work event in my own bed. Spending it in a hotel with your teammates is probably a hangover from the old school days when they'd probably have a few pints the night before.

klayton88

That's it. You can take this cover story as fact like the sheeple you are or you can finally just accept that the debt has just crippled us to the point we can't afford to put the whole team/staff in a hotel once a week. The players will be paying 5p for condiments next in the canteen. I'm sick of the Glazers bleeding our club dry without spending money (except Lukaku 70m, Pogba 90m, Matic 30-40m, Lindelhoof/Miki 30m) other than that they've bled us dry. Do FC United have a forum?
Any takers?

Gopher Brown

If the players are coming from a while away they might get stuck in traffic. Can you imagine being stuck on the M60 in a traffic jam at 2:57pm when you're in the starting XI?

Gopher Brown

That's it. You can take this cover story as fact like the sheeple you are or you can finally just accept that the debt has just crippled us to the point we can't afford to put the whole team/staff in a hotel once a week. The players will be paying 5p for condiments next in the canteen. I'm sick of the Glazers bleeding our club dry without spending money (except Lukaku 70m, Pogba 90m, Matic 30-40m, Lindelhoof/Miki 30m) other than that they've bled us dry. Do FC United have a forum?
Any takers?
Did you mean Flop-kaku, Flopba, Mat-flop and Mhk-can't hit the target-ian?

van Nistelrooy

Seems like the players didn't stay overnight at The Lowry against West Ham and I imagine it will be the same for Leicester this Saturday. With a later kick-off time, the players can meet up and have a meal together, where those few hours together should be sufficient to bond. I think if the players were just driving to Old Trafford themselves and going straight out to warm-up, the team harmony might suffer somewhat.

I'm all for the change if it makes the players happy. In fairness, they usually all look miserable turning up at the hotel the evening before a game. I just don't want to hear about Lingard and Rashford being up all night playing on FIFA.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Didn't even know that was a thing.
Not really sure how to feel about it. On one hand it might not matter an ounce, on the other it might a bit?

If the players are coming from a while away they might get stuck in traffic. Can you imagine being stuck on the M60 in a traffic jam at 2:57pm when you're in the starting XI?
That's gotta be a genuine concern. I'm guessing they'd have to be at the stadium early in the morning?

Hojoon

Not really sure how to feel about it. On one hand it might not matter an ounce, on the other it might a bit?

That's gotta be a genuine concern. I'm guessing they'd have to be at the stadium early in the morning?
Yeah, I think players have a prematch meal 3 hours before kickoff. They're probably required to meet at least 4-5 hours before the match starts. If they're worried about traffic I'm sure the club can still let players stay overnight at Lowry.

klayton88

Imagine the scenes if the team sheet comes out before a massive game, no Pogba no Lukaku. They had a sleepover and got got caught in traffic and missed the team coach.

King7Eric

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Yeah, I think players have a prematch meal 3 hours before kickoff. They're probably required to meet at least 4-5 hours before the match starts. If they're worried about traffic I'm sure the club can still let players stay overnight at Lowry.
If it's 4-5 hours before kickoff then it'd be a problem for the 12.30 kick offs. They'd have to reach by 7.30, meaning they'd probably have to get up around 6-6.30 in the morning. Personally, I would rather spend the night in the hotel in such a case, rather than have to get up at the crack of dawn. :nervous::nervous::nervous::nervous:

Dante

Average bang
"The squad skips the Lowry pre-match. Mourinho is still staying there."

Not that I particularly care, but the thread title is a bit misleading. I'd assumed Jose had finally put down roots in Manchester and bought a flat. Hopefully he still will at some point. I don't like the idea of our manager living like a tourist in the city. It doesn't feel right for someone whom I'd like to see build a dynasty over here.

PieCrust

I think there's more benefit to the team being together at a common location the night before a home match. It also sets into that hotel / togetherness routine for away matches. Keeps things standard / routine for every match.

I don't really buy the "trying to hide match day squad" argument. It's not a big secret who is going to be involved in the match day squad to the opposing team.

Hojoon

If it's 4-5 hours before kickoff then it'd be a problem for the 12.30 kick offs. They'd have to reach by 7.30, meaning they'd probably have to get up around 6-6.30 in the morning. Personally, I would rather spend the night in the hotel in such a case, rather than have to get up at the crack of dawn. :nervous::nervous::nervous::nervous:
I'd imagine so. I think it was in Rooney's biography where he mentioned he hated 12:00 kickoffs because it meant shoving pasta down your throat at 9:00am. Managers probably require the players to be extra early to check on them, get them settled in and even if they happen arrive late they'd still be on time for the meal. I bet a bunch of players don't even sleep before match days due to excitement/stress.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Don't think it's necessary to stay at the same place "for morale" when you're spending every day together anyways. It makes sense to me to make that Lowry change.

DannyDee

My guess is that they all meet at Carrington then are driven in by bus. It is probably much easier to do that logistically.

fretless

It's obvious what happened. While doing Jose's whites the Lowry staff mixed in a red scarf. Now he is stuck with a closet full of pink shirts and underwear.

This is merely revenge for that catastrophic mistake.

Summit

"do the dead, spread your seed and get out"
So has this already happened prior to our first home game? If so, seems to be okay. If not, don't fix what isn't broken.
I'm wondering when it started as well.

If it's just starting now I'm not sure what to think about this..
Yeah it looks like it. I remember someone on twitter saying Martial mustn't have been in the squad because he posted a picture on Intagram with his baby the night before our home game.

Eric Chin

I don't think this is a good thing.No doubt it keeps the player happy because they have more free time.But they have been paid for it.

They only play once or twice a week, so I don't think the club request was too much.

They have to make sure the player keep their body in tip top condition.They have their own professional dietitian, fitness expert taking care of their health before a match to make sure they last the 90minute intense workout.

Summit

"do the dead, spread your seed and get out"
I don't think this is a good thing.No doubt it keeps the player happy because they have more free time.But they have been paid for it.

They only play once or twice a week, so I don't think the club request was too much.

They have to make sure the player keep their body in tip top condition.They have their own professional dietitian, fitness expert taking care of their health before a match to make sure they last the 90minute intense workout.
and that will change from them being at home how?

Ashley R1+O

Fair enough, I always thought it was genuinely weird to see the players spend their preparation time away from home during a home weekend. Mourinho seems to run a tight press ship so I wonder if it has anything to do with pre-match paranoia.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
I'd imagine so. I think it was in Rooney's biography where he mentioned he hated 12:00 kickoffs because it meant shoving pasta down your throat at 9:00am. Managers probably require the players to be extra early to check on them, get them settled in and even if they happen arrive late they'd still be on time for the meal. I bet a bunch of players don't even sleep before match days due to excitement/stress.
It must be an ordeal force feeding that one up

red thru&thru

Don't think it's necessary to stay at the same place "for morale" when you're spending every day together anyways. It makes sense to me to make that Lowry change.
Agree. Why do you need to bond a couple of hours before the match, what were you doing the other days when you're at training?!

I can imagine it being annoying for the players and their families, where the players would have to go to hotel day before a match. At least this way, players will have no excuse. And in any case, I'm sure all the players were consulted before hand. Sure Jose didn't just decide to switch it up.

Sereques

InB4 MUST, club is failing, glazers malls failing, can't put players in hotels anymore.

DannyDee

North American sports teams don't do this stuff to their players for home-games anymore and haven't for awhile. I'd assume if you are good enough to make the grade at top EPL clubs now, you don't need someone looking over your shoulder to see if you a preparing properly. This isn't the days of having heavy team drinking sessions.

I can't imagine being at a hotel for the current batch of players makes much of a difference. The only thing it might help with is getting away from distractions at home such as a crying baby and such, but players are paid so much now, I'm sure they have nannies and such to look after those types of situations.

RuudTom83

Now that Wayne has gone I don't see anyone in the squad that would find it hard to get to Old Trafford on their own!

You'd imagine Wayne turning up at half time still pissed from the night before ;) but the rest of the squad seem well behaved.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
I think this would a detriment in the long run... too much possibility for family drama the night before a game.

But we'll see

Escape Goat

Supports
Forest
I think this would a detriment in the long run... too much possibility for family drama the night before a game.

But we'll see
Don't half of the squad* still live with their mothers anyway?

* OK, Lingard.