g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Mourinho is our best option

aditya826

Imagine our attacking players on paper.
Martial Lukaku Rashford Mkhitaryan Mata.

Pogba as our creative midfield player.

Our squad is perfect for an attacking manager like Tuchel.

Forget about defensive frailties under an attacking coach, DDG and resolute defenders like Lindelof and Bailly are enough assurances to take huge risks by playing the ball and attacking the opponent. Klopp, Wenger would be drooling for our defenders and GK.

Mourinho's pragmatism renders our attacking talents irrelevant and futile. Which is exactly the reason why we are failing now.

R'hllor

Our best option is that club finally show some vision, direction where they are headed, where they want to go, to be. That all player ranks train/play in similar fashion with clear idea of football style etc.

BocaJuniors

Every time something goes tits up it seems it is always the wrong place wrong time when no better options are out available.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
The whole attitude of the club would be positive if we had an attacking coach. This time last week we were pretty well clear in 2nd but it was still toxic. As long as we have defensive managers, we will never get back to where we were. The club has no vision, no clue.

redIndianDevil

For those wanting him out, a couple of questions

1. When would you let him go?
2. Who would you replace him with?
3. What would your expectations for them be in their first 3 seasons?

This are genuine questions. I'd like to understand a different viewpoint from mine.
IMO we should do what we really should have done once SAF left. SAF was an institution, he ran everything, we cannot just replace him with a new manager. We ideally should have appointed someone with football knowledge to run the club instead Woodward or a Director of Football who worked under Woodward. We should have had a vision of what style of football we will be playing going forward and should have signed players according to that. It would be easier to appoint managers if we had done that.

We have changed three managers with contrasting styles, no wonder our players look clueless. We've gone from a defensive manager to a possession based one to a defensive manager again. That is just plain stupidity from the people who run the club.

It's time to clean the board and start again.

Pyroblazer

That's a hot jacket, man
I think we all do!
I hope those people have patience though. Would be another huge transition and take a year. Even Pep needed a year to get things running at City. I would give a manager like Jardim, Tuchel or Sarri the time though as long as they don't do a Moyes and feck it up completely.

greatscott9930

Supports
St. Louis City Soccer Club
Anybody know what style Molde FK play? If we are going to eventually go the romantic, former player route, would Solskjaer be in for a shout? He has at least managed a team, won some trophies, and has coached in European games (even if it is Norway and the Europa League). Former United reserves coach as well.

Borden

Anybody know what style Molde FK play? If we are going to eventually go the romantic, former player route, would Solskjaer be in for a shout? He has at least managed a team, won some trophies, and has coached in European games (even if it is Norway and the Europa League). Former United reserves coach as well.
Feck no. His stint at Cardiff was disastrous.

C'est Moi Cantona

I hope those people have patience though. Would be another huge transition and take a year. Even Pep needed a year to get things running at City. I would give a manager like Jardim, Tuchel or Sarri the time though as long as they don't do a Moyes and feck it up completely.
Post Fergie I would have struggled, but now if I see us playing the right way then patience will be plentiful from me.

RooneyLegend

You can add Lemar and Sidibé who have injured a lot but he has his fault too, Jardim is a bit slow at making changes when things suddenly don't work and then he is too quick to change things in the middle of a rough patch.
We've seen what he can do with quality players to an extent that Pep thought defending against his team was basically an impossibility. Contrary to what Jose says, we can afford quality attacking players and what we need is someone to help them fulfill their potential.

Say we hire Jardim, based on his Monaco side that reached the semis, we can get him Lemar. Then go get him someone like Mahrez who'll serve as his B.Silva. A front 4 of Lemar, Martial, Lukaku, Mahrez in front of our midfield two. Get in Meunier and Ismaily for our fullback spots and you can't tell me the football won't be great. Heck, we might stand a chance to win something significant.

greatscott9930

Supports
St. Louis City Soccer Club
It was, but he still did a piss poor job. Bought shite players.
He may be a terrible option, I really don't know. I just don't understand how Giggs would be preferred to someone like him if we went the former player route (I'm not necessarily arguing that we should). I honestly don't know what Ole's coaching is like, which is why I'm asking about Molde's playing style. We have had, in my understanding, 3 defensive coaches (maybe LVG was more offensively minded) since SAF left. Just trying to think of potential attacking coaches that are outside the usual names thrown around here.

Treble

Not sure anymore that the board will give him a lot of money. Bar few games here and there, the team does not make much progress. If anything, the results are getting worse.

Romez

IMO we should do what we really should have done once SAF left. SAF was an institution, he ran everything, we cannot just replace him with a new manager. We ideally should have appointed someone with football knowledge to run the club instead Woodward or a Director of Football who worked under Woodward. We should have had a vision of what style of football we will be playing going forward and should have signed players according to that. It would be easier to appoint managers if we had done that.

We have changed three managers with contrasting styles, no wonder our players look clueless. We've gone from a defensive manager to a possession based one to a defensive manager again. That is just plain stupidity from the people who run the club.

Strongly agree with this.

We need a plan, an identity, a specific (attacking) way of playing football.

It's so much easier to sign players and managers when you have a specific way of playing. Constantly bringing in managers with different styles is stupid, because you have to keep tearing apart the team and starting over.

Look at Barcelona, everyone knows the way they play. Every manager they bring in, for the most part, makes the team play the exact same way. Every player they bring in is comfortable on the ball and can handle possession based football.

You then look at us and our squad is unbalanced, we have players like Mata and Fellaini in the same team and it doesn't make sense.

Reactions: Raoul

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
We've seen what he can do with quality players to an extent that Pep thought defending against his team was basically an impossibility. Contrary to what Jose says, we can afford quality attacking players and what we need is someone to help them fulfill their potential.

Say we hire Jardim, based on his Monaco side that reached the semis, we can get him Lemar. Then go get him someone like Mahrez who'll serve as his B.Silva. A front 4 of Lemar, Martial, Lukaku, Mahrez in front of our midfield two. Get in Meunier and Ismaily for our fullback spots and you can't tell me the football won't be great. Heck, we might stand a chance to win something significant.
I definitely rate him but everyone that knows Jardim is aware of his own shortcomings, they are the main the reason behind Monaco's poor start this year. But the good thing is that he is clever, he knows what he is doing and he finds solutions to the problems that he faces, it's not something that you can say about most managers not even the top rated ones.

Kinsella

Copy & Paste Merchant
Look at Barcelona, everyone knows the way they play. Every manager they bring in, for the most part, makes the team play the exact same way. Every player they bring in is comfortable on the ball and can handle possession based football.
That's why Guardiola's stint at City can't end soon enough for me. Imagine if he spends that bit longer there than usual and the style he has brought becomes a part of the club itself in some way - with their resources that's nightmarish stuff!

Acole9

Outstanding
We have to stick with Mourinho absolutely. There are very few of managers of his ilk around currently. I see all these posts about pretty/hipster football managers but those will not work and will be a complete disaster for us.

GreenHeron

I definitely rate him but everyone that knows Jardim is aware of his own shortcomings, they are the main the reason behind Monaco's poor start this year. But the good thing is that he is clever, he knows what he is doing and he finds solutions to the problems that he faces, it's not something that you can say about most managers not even the top rated ones.
Or maybe the reason that Monaco started the season poorly is that they sold their best 4 players (ok Mbappe went on loan but you know what I mean). It'd be a miracle if they didn't start slowly.

Now they're in 2nd and doing well. Jardim ticks so many boxes. He's built a championship winning club on the basis of promoting young talent and improving them to a very high level. And he's done so with an unbelievably attractive brand of football - over 100 league goals last year was it? Now the French league might not be the best overall but to beat a club with a bottomless pit of money like PSG is some achievement. And to continue to be competitive when he has to sell his best players every year demonstrates ability. And he embarrassed City last year in the Champions League.

If that's not a blueprint for a Manchester United head coach I don't know what is.

Long term he along with a director of football would be a great appointment. Now... I'd be inclined to give JM at least the rest of this season - but only if he wants the job on a long term basis. And frankly I'm far from convinced he wants to be here, and it is this more than anything that is stinking the place out.

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"

But which manager would you get to work under that D.O.F? And would they willing to work under one?

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
But which manager would you get to work under that D.O.F? And would they willing to work under one?
Absurd to think we will struggle to find manager who wants to work under a DOF when that is the de facto way of doing things on the continent.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Or maybe the reason that Monaco started the season poorly is that they sold their best 4 players (ok Mbappe went on loan but you know what I mean). It'd be a miracle if they didn't start slowly.

Now they're in 2nd and doing well. Jardim ticks so many boxes. He's built a championship winning club on the basis of promoting young talent and improving them to a very high level. And he's done so with an unbelievably attractive brand of football - over 100 league goals last year was it? Now the French league might not be the best overall but to beat a club with a bottomless pit of money like PSG is some achievement. And to continue to be competitive when he has to sell his best players every year demonstrates ability. And he embarrassed City last year in the Champions League.

If that's not a blueprint for a Manchester United head coach I don't know what is.

Long term he along with a director of football would be a great appointment. Now... I'd be inclined to give JM at least the rest of this season - but only if he wants the job on a long term basis. And frankly I'm far from convinced he wants to be here, and it is this more than anything that is stinking the place out.
Jardim would be my number one choice too.

Kapardin

I agree with this. I want Mourinho to stay and make a success of it here, but if worst comes to worst, at the very least Mourinho should get another season before leaving. My top choices then would be Conte, Jardim or Allegri (Conte 1st, the other two in no particular order). Conte, of course, might be a pipe-dream. But Jardim unlike Pochettino and Sarri, has actually won the league while dealing with the competition from PSG, so I do respect his work.

K2K

Absurd to think we will struggle to find manager who wants to work under a DOF when that is the de facto way of doing things on the continent.
But not in England.

It's never been that way. The few D.O.F that have been there have been widely ridiculed too( See Damien Commoli for example). Only Chelsea have had a setup like that and it's not been smooth sailing.

Judas

Open to offers
We have to stick with Mourinho absolutely. There are very few of managers of his ilk around currently. I see all these posts about pretty/hipster football managers but those will not work and will be a complete disaster for us.
pretty/hipster football is a damn sight better than sheer dross, and it's starting to look like Jose is only interested in playing that. How anyone wouldn't want to see us playing attacking football again, with actual tactics that aren't mind numbing, after the last few years, I just don't understand.

You have no idea if they won't work out for us, because the reasonably safe bet of Mourinho, although we have improved, isn't exactly going swimmingly well, is it.

K2K

Genuine questions deserve a genuine replies.....

1. As soon as possible , no point in hanging around once the decision is made.

2. Possibly Giggs as a stand in manager while we figure things out.

3. This is the big one. It's up to those in charge to make a clear decision that as a club and as a team we will be trying to do as much as possible to emulate the kind of football that we played in the Fergie years. The club has to look deep into it's soul and decide what we are going to be about. (eg Man City have decided quite firmly to play a certain style and try and become the Barcelona of the Premier league). It's time for Man United to decide what we will be about for the next 10-15 years or even beyond. THEN and only THEN do we decide on a manager who fits that philosophy. The expectations would be to develop a football style or identity for the team - which I think should be about playing good , positive football. If they do this then results will inevitably follow.

For me , I see what Eddie Howe is doing at Bournmouth (to even stay in the premier league one year is amazing) and I do wonder what he could achieve with our resources? One thing I do know is that an Eddie Howe United would at least be trying to play some good stuff - you would never see a performance like we got today against Soton. Giggs also would be committed to playing good football as well. Why not take a punt on someone? A manager can only prove themselves if given a chance. Even Fergie had to be given an opportunity somewhere to become the manager he did.
On Eddie Howe, don't you think we run the risk of another Moyes? A manager that has done much with less resources but struggles under the glare of the Old Trafford spotlight.

Plus he's not doing well this season. I can see them going down.

And if you were to take a punt on someone, what would be your expectations for them? Would you be accommodating(e.g out of top 4) to allow them to come into grips with the job?

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout

You are trying to sell Jardim to a fan of his.:)

Judas

Open to offers
Eddie Howe would crumble under the pressure if he went straight into a job this big, it's utter madness, and unfair on the bloke to suggest him making such a big step up. It would go horribly wrong.

Silverman

I think a problem with United is that they don't want to be seen chopping and changing managers whether it is the right decision or not. I'm all for giving managers time but only if it looks like we are heading in the right direction or have a clear promising plan for the future. For example had we someone like Pocchettino in charge and he was trying to implement his style and play but we were struggling this year in 4th then it would be disappointing but I would be all for giving him plenty of time to put his plan in place.
That's my problem with Mourinho. His football isn't the entertaining style that 90% of United supporters want and if our attacking play atm is anything to go by then it doesn't look like he's doing much to try and rectify the problem. As a Chelsea supporter on here said, Mourinho seems to let the attacking players just improvise and during his last Chelsea reign, Hazard was left having to produce magic at times as opposed to a set attacking style of play.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
pretty/hipster football is a damn sight better than sheer dross, and it's starting to look like Jose is only interested in playing that. How anyone wouldn't want to see us playing attacking football again, with actual tactics that aren't mind numbing, after the last few years, I just don't understand.

You have no idea if they won't work out for us, because the reasonably safe bet of Mourinho, although we have improved, isn't exactly going swimmingly well, is it.
Genuinely don't understand fans who seem to be scared of us returning to play attacking football. Are they football fans or rugby fans?

Definition of madness is keep doing the same thing when it's not working. We need to stop picking pragmatic boring as hell managers and start living a little and enjoying our football again. Life's too short for this miserable shite we see every week.

Andersons Dietician

You know the question of what’s next is a big issue. Where do United go. Poch would be the guy I go for but I doubt United can make it happen. You have Ancelotti an easy get and Giggs.

As much as I’d love to see a management team of the class of 92 with the likes of Scholes, nev, Butt and whomever I do think that’s a major risk and it’s basically another reset button and it just compounds how big of a mistake appointing Jose is/was. Because Jose is t going to get near City I don’t think and I would think going young we are going to have to wait say another 3 years and there will be plenty of ups and downs.

Guys like Eddie Howe are clearly doing a great job but there is a big difference between where he is and where United are. There was a peace not long ago about guys like Pep,Zidanne and Giggs not being cut out to fight there way to the top with lower teams. They are used to top level play, clubs and players. Obviously the article was better but it made sense.

A director of football an old hat, who has contacts, gets on with the ideas the likes of a Giggs would have and can deal with the scouts and spot talent and help Ed would be imperative. Who that would be no idea. Weirdly to me LVG would have been the perfect guy for that but that bridge has been burned.

This is a screwed up situation and the club needs to really take a look at it and make a plan like they had 4 years ago but this time don’t bottle it. Also don’t go to Poch and try the same lame line they tried on Klopp which is it’s the Disney Land of football.

Acole9

Outstanding

It is better but it's pretty secondary when you're not getting the results. You're right, I do have no idea, but neither do you. Yes you're right about Mourinho being a safe bet too but at the same time he is still one of the best in the business and we did win two trophies under him last season, it seems as though many have forgotten not only that but the way we started the season was outstanding. We just have to be patient (Which for the modern day football is virtually impossible) City are playing out of this world football right now, any other year and it could be so different.

desmondisback

On Eddie Howe, don't you think we run the risk of another Moyes? A manager that has done much with less resources but struggles under the glare of the Old Trafford spotlight.

Plus he's not doing well this season. I can see them going down.

And if you were to take a punt on someone, what would be your expectations for them? Would you be accommodating(e.g out of top 4) to allow them to come into grips with the job?

Thanks for the response K2K , it's nice to have a debate about things like this.

I think yes , we would be taking a risk on someone like Howe , but then any manager is a risk of some sort. We have to stop worrying about these things and at least try something. LVG was tried and tested , so is Mou .

I would argue that the last two managers (and maybe also Moyes) all had/have one thing in common. At the end of their career managing Man Utd will not be seen as the pinnacle of their career. They are all past their peak. Moyes will be remembered for Everton , Jose for first stint at Chelsea and Inter Milan 2010 , LVG Ajax / Holland. Meanwhile Eddie Howe probably still has his best days ahead of him and after yesterday he's now out of the bottom 3. Also look at who Bournmouth have been playing recently before Everton/ West Ham. They had United , Liverpool , Man City all in quick succession (with Chelsea in the Cup) Only Liverpool took them apart and they played well at OT , Stamford and at City. Bear in mind it's amazing that they even have a chance at a 3RD season in the EPL

As for expectations? I'd be quite happy with 10th if I saw some green shoots of recovery. By green shoots I mean good quality football with quick passing , players making runs, 1-2s , creative expression and playing without fear. Forget results for a while , it would be back to basics.

Fergie has shown the way. He came from Aberdeen (small resources) and achieved great things. He was committed to playing good attacking football. He was also a positive man with a good character. United was his pinnacle. See any parallels? Why couldn't the same thing happen with someone like Howe?

Of course , the Fergie years are almost unrepeatable , but I think everyone would settle for a lesser version of it right now.

markorm

United
GK -> CB -> WB -> DM....wait..... until pogba comes deep, if not -> WB run up field, fizz ball in. Ball is cleared, break on, back to GK.

Repeat.

It's starting to do my fecking head in.

K2K

Thanks for the response K2K , it's nice to have a debate about things like this.

I think yes , we would be taking a risk on someone like Howe , but then any manager is a risk of some sort. We have to stop worrying about these things and at least try something. LVG was tried and tested , so is Mou .

I would argue that the last two managers (and maybe also Moyes) all had/have one thing in common. At the end of their career managing Man Utd will not be seen as the pinnacle of their career. They are all past their peak. Moyes will be remembered for Everton , Jose for first stint at Chelsea and Inter Milan 2010 , LVG Ajax / Holland. Meanwhile Eddie Howe probably still has his best days ahead of him and after yesterday he's now out of the bottom 3. Also look at who Bournmouth have been playing recently before Everton/ West Ham. They had United , Liverpool , Man City all in quick succession (with Chelsea in the Cup) Only Liverpool took them apart and they played well at OT , Stamford and at City. Bear in mind it's amazing that they even have a chance at a 3RD season in the EPL

As for expectations? I'd be quite happy with 10th if I saw some green shoots of recovery. By green shoots I mean good quality football with quick passing , players making runs, 1-2s , creative expression and playing without fear. Forget results for a while , it would be back to basics.

Fergie has shown the way. He came from Aberdeen (small resources) and achieved great things. He was committed to playing good attacking football. He was also a positive man with a good character. United was his pinnacle. See any parallels? Why couldn't the same thing happen with someone like Howe?

Of course , the Fergie years are almost unrepeatable , but I think everyone would settle for a lesser version of it right now.
You do raise some good points and if we take such a punt and it worked, it would look like a masterstroke.

I can hear you saying you would be patient with him but I'm not sure everyone else would be. Especially those that think he's not the right man in the first place and the dissenting voices would increase. Also think about our best players like Pogba and De Gea . They are unlikely to want to stick around a 10th placed club. And we are unlikely to attract better quality players either.

My fear is simply that a punt like that couldn't handle the pressure of the United machine. I thought Jose could but he seems to be buckling under the pressure over the last weeks whining over everything and anything.

Member 5225

The whole attitude of the club would be positive if we had an attacking coach. This time last week we were pretty well clear in 2nd but it was still toxic. As long as we have defensive managers, we will never get back to where we were. The club has no vision, no clue.
Scholes pls (Giggs too if he's interested, but I am guessing he's waiting for the Earth Team XI managers job, that's his level in his opinion).