g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Mourinho: Man Utd will challenge for the Premier League title next season

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Well we better else he is toast

El Zoido

He's right, but we may need CL football to land his targets.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
I trust Jose. I'm confident he's the only one to take us back to the top.

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
I was wondering where he was last night. Hiding in the toilet perhaps?

And yes, we better challenge in 2017/18.

AXVnee7

Good point there about Pogba. I wonder if we or ourselves breaking the transfer record this summer will help take some of the pressure off from Pogba.

Manny

Grammar Police
If we end up in Europa League again, no chance...

Ian Reus

Ended 14 years of Grand National sweepstakes
I would imagine everything is still based on what happens next Wednesday.
Already looking forward to muppet season though.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Technically we did this season, for about 5 minutes. So he isn't wrong.

Ixion

Provided we don't have another run of 3 wins in 11 games I think we will.

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
He will win the title. It will be like his second Chelsea stint. Prepare for relegation fight in two years though

Vaibhav Raj

Well we aren't THAT far away anyway. 14 draws out of which we should have won about 8-9 easily. But the important thing is it wasn't easy to beat us until we put all our eggs in EL basket. So the consistency is there. Just nees to convert more chances. One quality attacking player on form and we will be a better side already. But we will recruit a whole lot more players so no wonder we will do better.

ROFLUTION

He has to say so..

There's an immense load of work to do and a mountain to climb. Very few players are playing with stability and too many players have failed to find their absolute best position - this has always been the Mourinho way. Find _THE_ position for a player and play him there week in and week out. He hasn't succeeded with this yet, so there's a lot of work to do. Defensively he's getting sharp.

Top 3 and quarter finals in CL (if we get there) would be great work in my opinion.

Woodzy

After the state we were in I'm not surprised this season has gone the way it has. Even Mourinho can't work miracles.

The difference between Moyes and Mourinho's first season is that Moyes lacked charisma, ambition and didn't understand what Manchester United was all about. Add to that he is largely responsible for our decline since our title win.

Mourinho, will making some very questionable decisions has at least added some spirit back into this team.

I'm massively optimistic for a title challenge next season. I don't think we will win it, but even fighting for the title with just 4 or 5 games remaining would be our best EPL season since Fergie left, which is a horrible thought in itself.

Add that with (hopefully) a decent Champions League run and maybe a cup, and I think Mourinho will have bought himself a third season (which will definitely be time to demand results).

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire
I'm confident that we will challenge for the title next season. I don't think we're as far away as the table suggests, and I think Mourinho will have a clear idea on what he wants in the transfer market. Hopefully it all comes together during pre-season.

Turnip

likes to be spanked with games consoles
He will win the title. It will be like his second Chelsea stint. Prepare for relegation fight in two years though
With the way he's treating players it looks like history could repeat itself.
Maybe that's why he's trying to not qualify for Europe, to make the title easier next season, a pity dropping to 7th is out if reach really.

Maradona10

Woodward’s biggest fan
I think we will buy 5 maybe even 6 players. I think we might already have half of them. Jose is very pragmatic, i am very sure he is halfway getting the targets he wants. Rest depends on cl football.

JinnerJamie

Small ginger
With the way he's treating players it looks like history could repeat itself.
Maybe that's why he's trying to not qualify for Europe, to make the title easier next season, a pity dropping to 7th is out if reach really.
Winning the EFL cup means EL at a minimum next season...

Stan_Stansman

Only if he manages to either bring in a player or two that knows how to finish or the players we have suddenly become competent in front of goal.

Sparky10Legend

I see this as him putting pressure on Ed.

Get the targets.... Or else risk a season of me bitching to the press.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Winning the EFL cup means EL at a minimum next season...
Can't we pull out? FA cup style? It would be drastic and highly unlikely but if we really don't want to be in it for the sake of our league campaign then why even bother entering?

I'm guessing UEFA would throw a strop and it would affect our coefficient, but would there be any significant repercussions?

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire
Can't we pull out? FA cup style? It would be drastic and highly unlikely but if we really don't want to be in it for the sake of our league campaign then why even bother entering?

I'm guessing UEFA would throw a strop and it would affect our coefficient, but would there be any significant repercussions?
If we want to get into the CL the following season I think refusing to enter the EL would be the wrong way to go about it. You can bet UEFA would make an example of anyone showing such disrespect to the EL. Also, why should we? What gives us the right to look down at the EL? We'd rip into Liverpool or any other club that did it, so why should we think we're better than the competition, particularly as it's been our level for the past few years. If you want to look down at the EL, qualify for the CL. Simple as that.

BebétheBest

He said the same thing about this season.

I'm just looking forward to it being over at this stage. Once the football is over we're the big team again, they're all jealous of our money and fighting for scraps that we don't want.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I see this as him putting pressure on Ed.

Get the targets.... Or else risk a season of me bitching to the press.
It will only lead to him being fired. The power at United lies with Woodward. But he's supportive of the manager anyway and lets them do it their way.

We really do have to challenge next season. Jose knows that. Hopefully we do have a cracking summer and more importantly season ahead.

devips

This year we have been unlucky with the finishing. The luck will turn. We need a RVP like striker, and others like Rashford and Mkhi to come good. I am also sure that Mourinho staying here does not depend on what happens next season. He has already improved us enormously.

Tarrou

I feel like there are too many question marks over this squad to expect a challenge. We've only got 4 or 5 players who we know we can depend on to be consistently good and fit all season. Chelsea have been running at 10 or 11 all season.

Are we really gonna nail every transfer and hit the ground running next season? Seems like too much to hope for, but I hope I'm wrong.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
This year we have been unlucky with the finishing. The luck will turn. We need a RVP like striker, and others like Rashford and Mkhi to come good. I am also sure that Mourinho staying here does not depend on what happens next season. He has already improved us enormously.
Obviously it depends on what happens next season as is the case with every manager who hasn't had a super successful season (Conte, Zidane). If we regress next season or stand still then there's not that much improvement.

But I expect him to have a very good transfer window and us to challenge next season. One thing about Mourinho is that he's great in the transfer market. I don't see him buying average players.

ThomasEmil

Invisible Herrera Watcher
To be fair, if everybody goes in and reads the anticipation thread for this season, United and City were in top 2 on pretty much 80% of thseasons votes.
I'm not gonna get my hopes up. Just want CL qualification