Mourinho - not sticking to his principles

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
But why didn’t he buy a leader CB in the first place? He’s spent £75m on 2 defenders that are arguably worse than Jones and Smalling who’s been here since SAF.

Thats my point he’s had the money for a defender or 2 and wasted it, if reports are to be believed he would have wasted another £40m on Mina and just added to the problem.

We’ve needed a RW for years yet he went and got Sanchez (left winger) in January although we had Martial and Rashford for that side....again in my opinion a massive waste of money.
when Klopp and Pep bought Karius and Bravo respectively, why did they not get the right signings? Not every signing is going to work, so you either back the manager until it does or lose faith in him and replace him, united this season have somehow managed to do neither.

jem

Of course responses like these are in no way pointless or tedious...

Rash Decision

not to use the cream
This "back him or sack him" argument has emerged as yet another way to deflect blame from Mourinho onto Woodward.

Ed Woodward, as the CEO of Manchester United, is well within his rights to decide that the manager he employed has been give enough resources to meet certain targets. He's not obliged to either give the manager free reign and unlimited resources, or sack him. Perhaps he thinks the manager should be doing better with what he has, but not badly enough that he deserves to be sacked - funnily enough, that's precisely what many fans feel about achieving second place last season. Whether or not Ed Woodward's decision is correct is another discussion altogether.

ekestubbe

This. We haven't given Jose all the tools to succeed and we're paying the price for it. Anyone who thinks Jose is the 'finished one' is in for one hell of a wake up call when he leaves United and does well at his next club.
I honestly think Mourinho will find it very difficult to get a new job after United and will likely take a break from football for a few years. Not because he would lack offers, but because he would lack offers from clubs that would interest him. Every job he has taken has been at huge clubs with great players and massive financial backing, and I don't think he would be up for an underdog role at all.

Castia

when Klopp and Pep bought Karius and Bravo respectively, why did they not get the right signings? Not every signing is going to work, so you either back the manager until it does or lose faith in him and replace him, united this season have somehow managed to do neither.

I said this in another thread the comparison doesn’t really work. Pep bought 2 and sold 3 keepers it’s not like he’s bought until one clicked.

Jose wants another defender whilst already having 5 first team players on the books 6 is too many for 2 spots.

ZAGREB RED

I honestly think Mourinho will find it very difficult to get a new job after United and will likely take a break from football for a few years. Not because he would lack offers, but because he would lack offers from clubs that would interest him. Every job he has taken has been at huge clubs with great players and massive financial backing, and I don't think he would be up for an underdog role at all.
I keep wondering if that last half season he had at Chelsea has had an effect on him or maybe he has just lost his touch. The air of negativity at OT just now is absolutely stifling and makes me wonder if a lot of top class players would now avoid signing for United due to the current climate.
If he did go in the near future, aside from Zidane I don't know who would be his likely replacement.

Last edited by a moderator:

Inter Yer Nan

He's gonna get the sack, isn't he?
I think he'll last the season and we'll see from there. I think it's going to take us not qualifying for the CL for him to get sacked and I think w'll qualify. I just hope if he stays he's given funds the way Klopp just was or the way Pep is. Granted he spent well the first two summers but we didn't have the players City had (Aguero, Silva, KDB etc;). Right now we've got a top class goalie, I'd say two midfielders he's happy with (Pogba & Matic), one he's optimistic about (Fred) and we've got Alexis and Lukaku who are both excellent proven PL players I'm sure he's happy we signed. The rest is dependable squad players like Herrera, Smalling, Lingard and young players he hopes come good like Shaw, Dalot, Rashford. I'm sure in an ideal world he'd want a LB he can trust, an experienced CB and a proper RW minimum.

It's crazy that this is his third year and the perception of us is now worse than at any point during his tenure.

Jinn

I think he'll last the season and we'll see from there. I think it's going to take us not qualifying for the CL for him to get sacked and I think w'll qualify. I just hope if he stays he's given funds the way Klopp just was or the way Pep is. Granted he spent well the first two summers but we didn't have the players City had (Aguero, Silva, KDB etc;). Right now we've got a top class goalie, I'd say two midfielders he's happy with (Pogba & Matic), one he's optimistic about (Fred) and we've got Alexis and Lukaku who are both excellent proven PL players I'm sure he's happy we signed. The rest is dependable squad players like Herrera, Smalling, Lingard and young players he hopes come good like Shaw, Dalot, Rashford. I'm sure in an ideal world he'd want a LB he can trust, an experienced CB and a proper RW minimum.

It's crazy that this is his third year and the perception of us is now worse than at any point during his tenure.
He looks a dejected figure in that press conference, I think if it carries on like this he might even quit.
I'm not a great fan of Mourinho, but I had a tremendous amount of respect for him. He's self believe was brilliant. Yes he is arrogant etc, but he's a winner. It's sad to see the man in this state, looking lost...

Lord Vader

You're assuming Jose actually has any principles to stick to in the first place.

This is a guy who manages players using mind games. There is a short-shelf life for that; players just won't put up with it for an extended period of time. It's pathetic watching two malcontents -- Mourhino and Pogba -- battle each other on the sidelines and in the press. Meanwhile, United is a club that spends tens of millions on the latest shiny new toy, assuming that's what makes a trophy-winning club. Leicester disproved that approach for all-time.

Note the complete lack of drama at City. What was the common thread from the Pellegrino to the Pep eras? Even with all the hundreds of millions floating around in transfers, there's been an understanding among the players and the coaching staff to stay completely out of the headlines and just stick to football.

Celebrity football, United style, just can't go away fast enough.

Canagel

I don't even know what his plan is or what the principles are supposed to be. He's had enough time and money to get us playing much more cohesive football. If David Moyes had been incharge yesterday and we played like that this forum would've been a chaos. Mourinho is only living off his name.

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
Note the complete lack of drama at City. What was the common thread from the Pellegrino to the Pep eras? Even with all the hundreds of millions floating around in transfers, there's been an understanding among the players and the coaching staff to stay completely out of the headlines and just stick to football.

Celebrity football, United style, just can't go away fast enough.
Yeah you’d never catch a city player in the headlines for something stupid