Mourinho Presser (Spurs Home)

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Yes but the players those clubs brought in weren’t a consideration for United. Out of all the players that arrived at those teams mentioned how many would improve United? Maybe Jorginho, but he was following Sarri and we had no chance. We were after a higher class of player rather than backups. I do believe united and Woodward did pursue Jose’s targets but ultimately we didn’t get them as the selling club knew we were desperate and bumped the price right up. Also the selling club refusing to do business at the price we were offering. This is the same with Martial who was wanted by a couple of premier league teams but we refused to do business with them, we also turned down Barca’s offer for Pogba. The type of players needed at the big clubs are difficult to get now. Look at real and Barca for example, they haven’t signed anyone so far and have lost big players this summer.
The fact is there was a multitude of player transfers taking place over the summer from all across the globe. The question of whether any of those players would improve our squad is debatable but ultimately irrelevant given the context of this discussion. The clubs mentioned above seemingly had no issue in identifying, pursuing and eventually landing their targets (for the most part) which basically puts to bed any argument suggesting that players were simply unavailable this summer.

GM K

For the bolded bit, I can only think of Martial and Pogba. If you believe the press, the board rates Martial highly and fears another de Bruyne situation if he is sold. They offered him a new contract but he refused it, so while you may question their judgement of Martial's potential, you can't accuse the board of not appeasing him with a new contract. As for Pogba, he's under contract with us till 2021 I believe.

I agree on the DOF part. Time will tell if the board is serious about getting one or is just making noises to deflect attention from the issue.

I don't agree with this "back him or sack him" argument. There's room for more nuance imo. At this point, I would compare Jose to an employee who has a superb track record of success in other companies, has achieved some good results in his current company, but who has started to show some weaknesses that may potentially damage the company if not kept under control. As the company's board / CEO, should one: (a) sack him immediately despite the good things he brings; or (b) try to manage his weaknesses but keep him on board for his other contributions, at least until a clear improvement on him comes along?
Good points. Not sure about the Martial bit though. Most things we hear are rumours but at least his agent came out to say there has been a contract impasse between him and United. That for me, might be indicative of the club not keen on keeping him as much as we might have been made to believe. I think the main reason Martial was not sold was because no one came with a good enough price.

TheReligion

Abusive
For the bolded bit, I can only think of Martial and Pogba. If you believe the press, the board rates Martial highly and fears another de Bruyne situation if he is sold. They offered him a new contract but he refused it, so while you may question their judgement of Martial's potential, you can't accuse the board of not appeasing him with a new contract. As for Pogba, he's under contract with us till 2021 I believe.

I agree on the DOF part. Time will tell if the board is serious about getting one or is just making noises to deflect attention from the issue.

I don't agree with this "back him or sack him" argument. There's room for more nuance imo. At this point, I would compare Jose to an employee who has a superb track record of success in other companies, has achieved some good results in his current company, but who has started to show some weaknesses that may potentially damage the company if not kept under control. As the company's board / CEO, should one: (a) sack him immediately despite the good things he brings; or (b) try to manage his weaknesses but keep him on board for his other contributions, at least until a clear improvement on him comes along?
Good post

AbusementPark

Operates the Unfairest Wheel
The fact is there was a multitude of player transfers taking place over the summer from all across the globe. The question of whether any of those players would improve our squad is debatable but ultimately irrelevant given the context of this discussion. The clubs mentioned above seemingly had no issue in identifying, pursuing and eventually landing their targets (for the most part) which basically puts to bed any argument suggesting that players were simply unavailable this summer.
Yes they were able to get their targets in because of the level of quality the players are. Im not here saying that the players are sub par but they are not the required quality for a top team challenging for titles. These players cost a lot less than what we have been quoted for players, im not saying that the players we went for were unavailable but for the prices being quoted for 29 year old players it was not worth the investment in the eyes of the club. Barcelona also went in for Willian and got rejected after submitting 2 or 3 bids for him. Other clubs that got their targets bought players not deemed indispensable by the selling club, making transfers easier. We were after Maguire and got quoted £75m, £70m for Toby, £50m for Boateng. Maguire has had one good season and is still a risk, Toby can be bought for £25m in less than a years time and with Boateng hes had a bad injury and not worth the risk. I assume we enquired for Bale as well and he was unavailable due to Ronaldo leaving.

Arguing that there is players available this summer doesnt mean that we go and buy just anyone, as it seems your suggesting. We had set targets and it didnt pan out to buy any. The players we were after also didn't offer value for money, although after the first 2 games I would gladly have handed Levy £70m for Toby.