Mourinho Presser (Spurs Home)

arthurka

I have zero problem with what LVG did and same for what Mourinho did. Press is full of shite and deserves this kind of treatment from United manager. Saying LVG was right while Mourinho wasn't or the opposite is hypocrisy though, no other ways around.
I might have a skewed view on LVG as I always found him genuine and entertaining. My view of Jose is that he is a grumpy and misserable bastard. That in it self might be the reason, I agree with what you said that the press is full of shite. But I just have no time for Jose anymore.

el3mel

I might have a skewed view on LVG as I always found him genuine and entertaining. My view of Jose is that he is a grumpy and misserable bastard. That in it self might be the reason, I agree with what you said that the press is full of shite. But I just have no time for Jose anymore.
At this time I was completely against LVG as a manager and still find the media deserved this treatment. Let's agree to disagree.

GM K

Genuine question - how long did you fully back Moyes and LVG for?
I admit I lost patience with Moyes relatively early (couldn't get over Sir Alex leaving that quickly) but I was sympathetic with LVG.

GM K

I'm not sure the club agrees with your assessment.

The lack of investment in the summer and Woodward's post-window briefing would suggest that the board no longer feel Mourinho is the right person for the job (too "short-termist"). Mourinho's general demeanor since, seems to confirm that the feeling is mutual.

The utterly appalling performance at Brighton (probably the worst in Mourinho's entire tenure) shows that this whole sorry mess is now rubbing off on the players.

Essentially, it's over (or at least it very soon will be).
Or maybe the Board is no longer that ambitious about bringing in more silverware?

el3mel

I stopped supporting Moyes since the 4-1 derby defeat. That was very early, I think second month of the season.

Was very pro LVG when he came and fully supported him during first season and first part of second one. Think I started to turn against him since the loss to Norwich 2-1 at Old Trafford.

Ban

I'm not sure the club agrees with your assessment.

The lack of investment in the summer and Woodward's post-window briefing would suggest that the board no longer feel Mourinho is the right person for the job (too "short-termist"). Mourinho's general demeanor since, seems to confirm that the feeling is mutual.

The utterly appalling performance at Brighton (probably the worst in Mourinho's entire tenure) shows that this whole sorry mess is now rubbing off on the players.

Essentially, it's over (or at least it very soon will be).
Lot of assumptions in that post.

MV12

Jose done good in that presser.. treated those scumbags with all the contempt they deserve.
As for all the negative anti Mourinho brigade, to be honest I've been reading these posts from day 1 of him being made manager.
And all I can say is that 90% of them have been just as bad as the gutter press. Making mountains out of mole hills, and unable to see anything beyond their own hate filled agenda. The term 'witch hunt' comes to mind, sharpening pitchforks, and taking anything and every possibly to hurl abuse, and downright negativity around at every opportunity.. it's beyond pathetic. it comes over like a spoilt little child, not getting what they want, right now, just how they want it. And jealous of every other kids new toy..

I could go on but I'd probably get banned.

subotai

I'm sorry, Ban, for maybe incorrectly quoting your post, I'm still muddling my way through the mechanics.

I wanted to quote it because I 100% agree with your sentiment. And not just the idea that one poster is making some assumptions in one post.

It just seems to be so much crap being spouted by various media outlets, and maybe lies and myths being propagated, that at times it almost seems like we're living in an alternative reality where no news is real news (or FAKE NEWS - thanks Donald).

Where is this great conflict between Ed and Mourinho? What reasons do we have for mass protests and uprisings? I just can't see it. Some tired players played crap football, that's what I see. Mourinho was very careful to say it would be a difficult season ahead with the worthless pre-season we had...to me, this is what's now happening.

Maybe I'm blind to it all and hoping for the best, but looks like there's a huge tide of negative click-driven penny-scandal stories flooding the sports pages, and a lot of fans are falling for it and amplifying the bollox. I could be wrong - often am, but that's what it looks like right now.

Reactions: Penna

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
I really think the equivalent MUTV interview needs to be posted in here. You will see that he is purposefully treating the outside media like garbage because they absolutely deserve it. They have chewed us up and spat us all over the papers for the past 2-3 weeks and we’re supposed to accept it? He answers the same questions in the MUTV interview with a much much more natural relaxed mood.

Ashley R1+O

Just watched the press conference. He looked incredibly wound up and angry. Treated the press with contempt.
Why is this a surprise? The UK press is a raft of total garbagemen. The amount of absolute dross they write about United he shouldn't even need to do pressers. They'll just write nonsensical wumming garbage to play to the moaners no matter what he says.

peridigm

I think we should hire LVG just to do pressers but make him wear a Jose face mask.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
The progress has stalled though and in truth we've been dogshit since February

The last time I genuinely remember us playing well in a game was against Spurs in the cup semi back in April

The reality is we have a gathering shitstorm and I don't see how Jose is going to turn this around - We haven't had a coherent attack in such a long time and it's not like we've sacrificed the attack for the defence - we've looked poor at the back as well

Jose's got limited time to turn things around in my opinion as the perfect storm of his poor attitude and relationships, issues with players, consistently shit performances, no clear tactical plan, a board who haven't backed him, a divided fan base is all combining to create crazy pressure in only our third game of the season

the only way for Jose to survive this is to win - jf he doesn't do that enough in the next ten games I feel we might pull the plug early given the context

I'm wondering how much of a lift a new interim manager might give the squad too
A harsh but fair summary of the events surrounding the club right now. I don't disagree with any of it unfortunately.

I think Jose is reaching (reached?) a point in his tenure where every game is a win or bust scenario. He needs the players to show him their support by fighting tooth and nail on the pitch, the problem is I don't think they are prepared to do that - at least not all of them anyway. The writing is on the wall for Jose and he will need a minor miracle if he is to stay on beyond this season.

Last edited:

wolvored

Or maybe the Board is no longer that ambitious about bringing in more silverware?
Thats a ridiculous thing to say. They need the club to stay successful otherwise all the foreign fans will slowly disappear, the sponsors will then either leave or wont want to pay as much, the shirt manufactors next deal wont be offering so much, same as the shirt sponsor etc. They are geared up for success off the field, but surely know this only happens if successful on the field.

Infra-red

Unless you're Ed Woodward, you're not privy to that information.

The board briefed the press as soon as the window closed as they were aware they'd most likely made a mistake in not backing the manager and buying him new CB's. We've all seen Fergie's quote flying around here about him being the manager and some people, including Kidd, not thinking Yorke was up to it. For some reason, we're not aware of but most likely the value in the market, we decided not to spend big this summer.

If you think that was a blatant effort to undermine Mourinho because they want him gone, you're wrong. They would have sacked him before now if that were that case.
I don't believe it was a deliberate effort to undermine the manager. I do believe that they don't much fancy him anymore and therefore were not inclined to invest in his preferred targets.

The Brighton performance was rubbish but lets not get carried away here. It's the second game of the season, I can't remember a season where we didn't lose to a bottom 5 team away from home and our players have a hell of a lot to answer for, for allowing that to happen. Our captain himself said his 'attitude wasn't right', so that's the kind of shit show we're working with.

You're wrong if you think it's over. He'd be gone already if that were the case, he'll still be here next season.
Next season!? You're having a laugh!
Time will tell, I suppose, but I will be absolutely amazed if he's still the manager this time next year.

I prefer 'logical inference'.

GM K

Thats a ridiculous thing to say. They need the club to stay successful otherwise all the foreign fans will slowly disappear, the sponsors will then either leave or wont want to pay as much, the shirt manufactors next deal wont be offering so much, same as the shirt sponsor etc. They are geared up for success off the field, but surely know this only happens if successful on the field.

So why the heck didn't they invest money in the team when the team clearly needed more investments this Summer? Even the most naïve football fan knew we needed to fix some areas in the team. And don't tell me it is because they don't trust Jose. If that is the case, then they have to look themselves in the mirror and fire whoever just gave him a fresh contract!

whatagoodname

Supports
Liverpool
Think people here are entirely missing the point. The press would absolutely love Jose. He gets clicks and sells papers by providing them w ammunition. This is exactly the type of press conference that they'd feed off.

Karappa

The press deserve this treatment without any doubt but above and beyond Mourinho is also an embassador for a global brand in Manchester United - and in that role he fails miserably. And in their hearts of hearts United supporters know that the same misery Mourinho shows in these press conferences his team shows on the field. Time has passed him by, he's pretty much done as club manager on the top level.

minoo-utd

He should stay low key now and try to act normally without being arrogant nor tough IMO he needs to be more diplomatic and they might give him a break then. Just take it easy Jose he knows they are cnuts but what he is doing is exactly what they looking for.

crossy1686

career ending
I don't think anyone is doubting the progress we have made since Jose took over the club, the question of whether he remains the right man to lead us forward is when opinions become somewhat divided. It's not only the 'short-sighted and ignorant' among the fanbase that wants him gone - I think we both know that.
I agree with you to a degree but I'm yet to find someone whom I respect that has the opinion of 'Jose out'

Barnslig

Q: What about Spurs - how impressed are you with them, Mauricio Pochettino and how they go about their business?

JM: I'm not going to comment.

Yeah, sure. Just send an assistant and call in sick.
Didnt Mourinho say something about both Liverpool and Tottenham last week when he said something along the lines of "journalists creating negativity around United, while clubs that finished below us and won absolutely nothing are made out to be the greatest thing ever"? Why would he have to repeat himself AND publicly name Tottenham as one of the clubs he talked about, when everyone knows very well what he thinks of Tottenham and Pochettino.

nainaisson

A team that finishes 19 points behind the league winner needs more investment than a central midfielder and young fullback. United have no excuses for having such a poor transfer window when Liverpool managed to fix so many deficiencies in their squad. Liverpool's owners seem to genuinely be interested in winning the league and competing in Europe while ours are more interested in exploiting the Manchester United brand and investing only as much as required to keep the club in the Champions League.

R'hllor

What was funny in this ?

The press is full of shite and deserved to be treated this way.
Yea but not in here, cnut Custis became a decent journo here suddenly, media wasnt bunch of cnuts during last 6 months of LvG.

R'hllor

I didnt understand the part about Spurs and how they did their shit. Is it regarding them not having a single transfer? If so, no comment is freaking rich. If not, he should tell them to just feck off.

Wooly Red

Supports
Liverpool
:lol: I'll give credit to Jose: That was a brilliant set of answers, to some very stupid questions.

Rash Decision

not to use the cream
So why the heck didn't they invest money in the team when the team clearly needed more investments this Summer? Even the most naïve football fan knew we needed to fix some areas in the team. And don't tell me it is because they don't trust Jose. If that is the case, then they have to look themselves in the mirror and fire whoever just gave him a fresh contract!
The contract was given almost 6 months before the summer window, and during a period when the team was still doing alright. Given that the 2nd half of the season was the turning point for many fans as the football really turned to shit, I don't see why we're assuming that nothing changed in the period between the manager's new contract and his non-backing in the transfer window.

Imo the board deserves huge blame for making 3 wrong managerial appointments in a row. However, refusing to splurge on a manager who hasn't been able to make the most of his resources and has been dividing the fanbase with his contentious ways is something I agree with. Either Jose proves he still has it in his locker to get his team playing properly (even if we win nothing), or we save money for the next manager.

Edit: That said, Jose gets credit for behaving himself in recent weeks.

Last edited:

Naz

Supports
Man City
Jose is a hero for doing this.
Did the press make up the story that Woodward was unhappy with Mourinho's transfer targets? Did they also invent the Football Director story? Is Raiola happy about the situation of Pogba. There's Martial. There's the quality of football and defeat at Brighton.

These events trigger questions from fans and therefore the press.

I feel a bit sorry for Mourinho because he is publicly under scrutiny and has been put in a difficult situation by the CEO. He has been made to look powerless, but the club in answerable to the supporters, and that is what press conferences are about and why football insists that they happen.

Ban

Maybe they think being successful means getting the top 4 and that's it.

Ban

I'm sorry, Ban, for maybe incorrectly quoting your post, I'm still muddling my way through the mechanics.

I wanted to quote it because I 100% agree with your sentiment. And not just the idea that one poster is making some assumptions in one post.

It just seems to be so much crap being spouted by various media outlets, and maybe lies and myths being propagated, that at times it almost seems like we're living in an alternative reality where no news is real news (or FAKE NEWS - thanks Donald).

Where is this great conflict between Ed and Mourinho? What reasons do we have for mass protests and uprisings? I just can't see it. Some tired players played crap football, that's what I see. Mourinho was very careful to say it would be a difficult season ahead with the worthless pre-season we had...to me, this is what's now happening.

Maybe I'm blind to it all and hoping for the best, but looks like there's a huge tide of negative click-driven penny-scandal stories flooding the sports pages, and a lot of fans are falling for it and amplifying the bollox. I could be wrong - often am, but that's what it looks like right now.
Exactly. Its a classic I believe what I want to believe stuff by some.

wolvored

Looking at it like that I think it was the age of the player wanted that put them off. If true that they would spunk 100 million on Verane but not 75 million on Alderwierald or 70 million on Willian as they would need replacing in a couple of years then this leans towards that theory. Im only saying if Utd dont start winning titles soon surely they realise this will hit the profit margin.