Mourinho says it will be difficult to catch City next season

MrBest

Ok. Let him sign the players you mentioned and play together for 3 years, they will still be about 30 and will have build enough coherence then. :)

I really don't know what are you targeting. You asked if we can trust Mourinho with money based on his football. The only reason people are slaughtering him for playing pragmatic football is the quality we have which ironically he's the only reason for us to have them due to his signings and how he spent his money. Also, he had spent money on players that can be there for years like Bailly, Lukaku and Pogba. It feels quite ironic to say we can't trust Mourinho with money whole the the only reason we have a good team that we want to play better football. We were shoehorning Rooney in middield when we got Mourinho ffs.

Your point was that he shouldn't be trusted with money because he plays shite football, which is completely irrelevant to the topic. After that you went on shifting goal posts to other directions like age and stuff

Mourinho left a very good squad for all his teams in the future bar Inter. His first Chelsea side finished runner up in league and CL after he left, Madrid dominated Europe and Chelsea walked the league after him. The only time he left an aging squad was Inter because he was signed for the sole purpose of winning them CL quickly while here he keeps talking about taking it slow and that we're in transition.
Mate I think your quite argumentative and defensive over Jose. Fair enough, your love Jose, you trust in his dire football. We are on 2 different levels. Try spending 150 quid on a match day sitting through that. You have zero trust left after a while. We just going to have to agree to disagree. Right now I'm more annoyed at the line up he put put against Watford. At home with nothimg to play for and no youngsters. At least pep has foden on his bench.

el3mel

Mate I think your quite argumentative and defensive over Jose. Fair enough, your love Jose, you trust in his dire football. We are on 2 different levels. Try spending 150 quid on a match day sitting through that. You have zero trust left after a while. We just going to have to agree to disagree. Right now I'm more annoyed at the line up he put put against Watford. At home with nothimg to play for and no youngsters. At least pep has foden on his bench.
See that's why I don't like these Mourinho discussions anymore. Good luck.

RedB4ndiT

There's nothing wrong with the players we have other than getting new fullbacks. Our squad is good enough to win league titles and go deep in the UCL. It's the system/manager that's the problem.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
what are you talking about?

City are about to hit 100 points this season.

How the feck is that not a drastic improvement?
He had a poor season last year according to this board after taking over the strongest squad in the league and having some of his staff already in place for a year and spending bucket loads. I’d prefer to look at City like Peo started off in an audiwhere Jose started of in a Ford Focus.
yeah because Luke Shaw was bought for peanuts right? Mourinho bought Sanchez FFS, he made that squad imbalance. Mourinho was actually applauded for getting rid off Rooney.

As for the bolded part of your post, Mourinho himself brought on the Guardiola comparison by banging on about how Guardiola had all the stars and how he had nothing. If we had De Bruyne, Aguero and Silva when Mourinho took over, De Bruyne would be as inconsistent as Pogba has been, Silva would look just like Mata has looked and Aguero would be chasing long balls all season, that's the type of football Mourinho knows.
Starting to talk nonsense now with your hypothetical situations so we should leave it there. Shaw is not on Jose and Sanchez is an upgrade and from a swap deal nonetheless. KDB Augero and Silva stuff you’re spouting is completely jibberish,

Lawman

This is what’s ridiculous in here come on ffs. Jose has played Mctominay and Rashford much more than Pep has played Foden this season use your common sense buddy. That statement sums the Jose bashers up in here. Surprised they are not slagging of his hair style next. Even LVG or Moyes never got this much abuse on here it’s bordering on insanity.

Water Melon

He had a poor season last year according to this board after taking over the strongest squad in the league and having some of his staff already in place for a year and spending bucket loads. I’d prefer to look at City like Peo started off in an audiwhere Jose started of in a Ford Focus.

Starting to talk nonsense now with your hypothetical situations so we should leave it there. Shaw is not on Jose and Sanchez is an upgrade and from a swap deal nonetheless. KDB Augero and Silva stuff you’re spouting is completely jibberish,
Pogba is on Jose, Mhki is on Jose, Bailly, Lindelof are all on Jose. Zlatan is on Jose too. GD is half of the Citys in the prem that is on Jose too. Kissing goodbye to the prem for 2 seasons before January is also on Jose. As is impotency against Sevilla. Sanchez is yet to show something special, while Lukaku single footedly cost us the game against City. Lack of any consistency is on Jose and so is his idiotism in blaming anyone bar himself. The special one is shite in the prem and shite in CL.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
There's nothing wrong with the players we have other than getting new fullbacks. Our squad is good enough to win league titles and go deep in the UCL. It's the system/manager that's the problem.
Bullshit. KDB and Silva are streets ahead of Pogba and Herrera/McTominay/Fellaini.

PepsiCola

Bullshit. KDB and Silva are streets ahead of Pogba and Herrera/McTominay/Fellaini.
Streets ahead due to superior coaching/style of play.

They were made to look ordinary against a midfield of Can, Chamberlain and Henderson.

Comparing Foden to McTominay? One is 17, the other 21

Lawman

Pogba is on Jose, Mhki is on Jose, Bailly, Lindelof are all on Jose. Zlatan is on Jose too. GD is half of the Citys in the prem that is on Jose too. Kissing goodbye to the prem for 2 seasons before January is also on Jose. As is impotency against Sevilla. Sanchez is yet to show something special, while Lukaku single footedly cost us the game against City. Lack of any consistency is on Jose and so is his idiotism in blaming anyone bar himself. The special one is shite in the prem and shite in CL.
You having a Sunday lunch on the booze?
Pogba hasn’t been anywhere as bad as made out and still looks a good buy for us imo. As I’d not want him leaving but if he does we will cash in for more. Myktaryin played a big part in our EL win and has been a straight swap for a better player. Zlatan was a good success so why bring him into your slagging Jose stuff is just normal in here now. Bailley has looked a promising signing and Lindelof the jury still out. Bringing a miss or a mistake into it from a guy who was on course for 30 goals in Lukaku just sums up your points.
I don’t mind arguing over Jose or not but not with nonsensical stuff like this.

breakout67

Supports
Man City

They were made to look ordinary against a midfield of Can, Chamberlain and Henderson.
So Klopp is a superior coach to Guardiola?

So City are ahead of Liverpool because they have better players, the same players that are superior due to coaching/style of play?

It's circular logic.

Last edited:

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Some of you making out like we haven't spunked millions also. We were level on points with City when Jose took over. The reason City are miles and miles ahead this season is due to proper management. Gettingt he best put of players like Sterling and Sane while Mouriniho kills the life out of Rashford and Martial. It's an absolute disgrace really.

Still, I've no doubt we will win a lto mroe games next season which would mean a very good points tally. If we can sort out our attacking system and get our signings right we can challenge them. The signings we made last Summer have been really good. We need to shift out the Van Gaal crap still hanging around.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan

Comparing Foden to McTominay? One is 17, the other 21
No. They are actually superior players. KDB is a much better player than Pogba. The same goes for Silva and the rest of the United midfield (quite obviously)

Mourinho has had to play McTominay out of a lack of options (Herrera and Fellaini were both out for months at the same time. Pogba also had a lay off of 6 weeks or so).Pep did not.

Looking in the middle, we only really match City on defensive midfield (Matic is the same level as Fernandinho) .

Water Melon

So Klopp is a superior coach to Guardiola?

So City are ahead of Liverpool because they have better players, the same players that are superior due to coaching/style of play?

It's circular logic.
Yes, in CL Klopp beat Pep fair and square. I am sure that Pep considers this CL campaign a failure. In CL, Pool did much better than City. It happens. However, we were shite both in the league and CL. Also being 6th in the prem in his first season was a massive failure.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Yes, in CL Klopp beat Pep fair and square. I am sure that Pep considers this CL campaign a failure. In CL, Pool did much better than City. It happens. However, we were shite both in the league and CL. Also being 6th in the prem in his first season was a massive failure.
You do know manegierial calibre is not classed solely from head to heads, right?

Water Melon

You do know manegierial calibre is not classed solely from head to heads, right?
It is judged by achievements and resources available. The fact is that Jose was sixth best in the prem last season. This season he is second best. With resources he has had, trailing 18-19 pts behind City, and giving up on the league in December is shite. CL campaing has been shite too, while Klopp has done brilliantly in Europe this season.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
It is judged by achievements and resources available. The fact is that Jose was sixth best in the prem last season. This season he is second best. With resources he has had, trailing 18-19 pts behind City, and giving up on the league in December is shite. CL campaing has been shite too, while Klopp has done brilliantly in Europe this season.
Jose spent 3rd highest out of the league. He spent 150m EUR less than Pep. He is where he is expected to be.

As for going far in competitions, means feck all unless they win a cup. Its best you reserved judgement of the season until its over. Very presumptuous to suggest Klopp is of greater calibre than either of Pep or Jose when he's lost 5 Cup finals in a row.

Water Melon

Jose spent 3rd highest out of the league. He spent 150m EUR less than Pep. He is where he is expected to be.

As for going far in competitions, means feck all unless they win a cup. Its best you reserved judgement of the season until its over. Very presumptuous to suggest Klopp is of greater calibre than either of Pep or Jose when he's lost 5 Cup finals in a row.
Net spend third highest? Last two seasons? Check the figures. Reaching CL final means feck all?? It is MUCH more difficult than winning the Europa league or a fecking FA cup. More difficult than winning the prem too. Jose has been shite both in the league and CL. Totally shite.

JK-27

Of course it will be difficult. If City even match this years achievement then we'll have to break the points record and goal scoring record to beat them. That is a tough ask. All Jose has done is be realistic. It annoys me when people on here complain when a manager tells it like it is, yet when he blows smoke you complain about that too. He's damned if he does and damned if he doesn't.

Not great games against Sevilla but the group stage was a success. We're a lot better than we were, and we're 2nd behind a team that has broken several Premier League records this season, and ahead of a team that has reached the Champions League final. And we've reached the final of the FA Cup. The last two seasons have been the most successful seasons we've had in 5 years. That's progress.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Net spend third highest? Last two seasons? Check the figures. Reaching CL final means feck all?? It is MUCH more difficult than winning the Europa league or a fecking FA cup. More difficult than winning the prem too. Jose has been shite both in the league and CL. Totally shite.
I don't give a feck about net spend. United don't budget their transfers from a net spend perspective so they will naturally always sell low and buy high compared to clubs like Liverpool who often have to sell more before they buy big.

Also, Mourinho didn't buy a lot of the players he sold so why the hell should he be judged for their sale prices? Makes no sense.

I look at the money spent by the managers since they joined the club. Jose walked in and spent less than Conte and Pep. He is set to finish 2nd

And yes, reaching the final in the Champions League means feck all unless you win the cup. No one remembers 2nd place. If Klopp fails to win the cup he'd have had a a fruitless season in comparison to Mourinho and Pep. Not just by general standards but also the ones he promised everyone with (winning titles and cups within the first 3 years of his tenure was something he wanted to promise in his first ever Press Conference for the club).

Water Melon

Of course it will be difficult. If City even match this years achievement then we'll have to break the points record and goal scoring record to beat them. That is a tough ask. All Jose has done is be realistic. It annoys me when people on here complain when a manager tells it like it is, yet when he blows smoke you complain about that too. He's damned if he does and damned if he doesn't.

Not great games against Sevilla but the group stage was a success. We're a lot better than we were, and we're 2nd behind a team that has broken several Premier League records this season, and ahead of a team that has reached the Champions League final. And we've reached the final of the FA Cup. The last two seasons have been the most successful seasons we've had in 5 years. That's progress.
Not much of a progress being out of the title race before new year for 2 seasons in a row. No progress in europe either, totally shite. Reaching FA cup final is shite compared to Pools performance in CL. Last season 5 managers were better than Jose in the prem. Jose was the best amoung second rate teams in Europe. This year he is not amoung top 10 managers in Europe and is second in the prem 5-6 points above Klopp and Co and 18-19 behind Pep. Shite.

Water Melon

I don't give a feck about net spend. United don't budget their transfers from a net spend perspective so they will naturally always sell low and buy high compared to clubs like Liverpool who often have to sell more before they buy big.

Also, Mourinho didn't buy a lot of the players he sold so why the hell should he be judged for their sale prices? Makes no sense.

I look at the money spent by the managers since they joined the club. Jose walked in and spent less than Conte and Pep. He is set to finish 2nd

And yes, reaching the final in the Champions League means feck all unless you win the cup. No one remembers 2nd place. If Klopp fails to win the cup he'd have had a a fruitless season in comparison to Mourinho and Pep. Not just by general standards but also the ones he promised everyone with (winning titles and cups within the first 3 years of his tenure was something he wanted to promise in his first ever Press Conference for the club).
You dont give a feck about net spend? I fecking do. The shite Mou has been behind Klopp and Pep in Europe this season. He was done in the prem by Pep before January. So both in Europe and league shite. Last season done by Conte before January again, and worse than 4 other managers in the league. With resources at his disposal he has been shite. And one more thing. He is resposible for each and every player he inherited and bought. This is his direct and no 1 resposibility. He plays them shite and players he bought are yet to show some consistency. Pep tore him a new one, so did Conte and a rookie manager of Sevilla.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
You dont give a feck about net spend? I fecking do. The shite Mou has been behind Klopp and Pep in Europe this season. He was done in the prem by Pep before January. So both in Europe and league shite. Last season done by Conte before January again, and worse than 4 other managers in the league. With resources at his disposal he has been shite. And one more thing. He is resposible for each and every player he inherited and bought. This is his direct and no 1 resposibility. He plays them shite and players he bought are yet to show some consistency. Pep tore him a new one, so did Conte and a rookie manager of Sevilla.
Good. Care about it then. Its foolish to judge a manager on how he sells players bought by managers before him. If you can't understand that and the different economic models that clubs are run on then it's pointless to discuss this further.

The bold line highlights the stupidity of your post, clearly showing you're on an agenda just to trash Mourinho for the sake of it. You don't get to 2nd and 80 points whilst being shite. I'm not entertaining this debate much further so it's probably smarter to leave it and not quote me. You can enjoy your "we've gone far in cups without winning any" argument and bask in that as the backbone for your hate on Mourinho.

DevilRed

It will take spending on top fullbacks to even give us a glimmer of hope in catching citeh.

Going to be difficult with the disruption of the World Cup.

What we are lacking is pace/dynamism on the (right) wing/fullbacks. Probably need another Central midfielder do give us more dynamism and athleticism.

Will be interesting to see what Mourinho does this summer to improve us and obviously how our younger players (hopefully) take the step up.

wolvored

Even if he's right I expect him to challenge them, actually don't see other team aside from Manchester United to be able to compete with them. Manchester City has actually been building a very good team and developing their infrastructure way before Mourinho arrived to United so they now need to catch up to them and you can't expect it to happen in one or two seasons.
Chelsea with a new manager will spend big. Liverpool improving all the time, if they win Ch Lge will be a big boost. Maybe Arsenal will back their new manager massively as well. We need to be spending big just to stand still in 2nd place.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
He's not wrong, we look further away from a title challenge for next season than any point since SAF left. This is more to do with how good City are rather than how bad we are, but there is very little to get excited about our current squad.

Liverpool will be City's closest rivals next season. They might even outspend us in the summer with the Champions league and Coutinho money earnt.

wolvored

Second season champions syndrome. City will not be as good next season as they were this season. It should easier if Mourinho lands the right player and motivate the team to fight like gladiator in an arena filled with malicious agent, lions and cobra.
They could be better, We could be worse. Its no use just hoping that, its up to Mourinho to realise his style of play wont win the Premier League any more.

yo@Kirk

United dropped 15 points vs bottom 7 teams and City dropped 1 point vs bottom 7 teams because Jose can't teach his players how to beat a parked bus and Pep can. Pretty hard to see United closing a 19 point gap when City have such a huge advantage against the poorest clubs in the PL due to Mourinho's inability to coach attacking football.

fellaini's barber

United dropped 15 points vs bottom 7 teams and City dropped 1 point vs bottom 7 teams because Jose can't teach his players how to beat a parked bus and Pep can. Pretty hard to see United closing a 19 point gap when City have such a huge advantage against the poorest clubs in the PL due to Mourinho's inability to coach attacking football.
Huddersfield, West Ham, Newcastle or todays game had nothing to do with them parking the bus, we were just shit period

Ban

It's the goal scored that bothered me. People keep going on about LvG, remember how bad it was under LvG. That was unbelievably bad, it doesn't mean what we have now is great. It is an improvement, yes, but it could be a lot better and if it had been the results would have been better as well.
It's already an improvement on last season. So I expect more improvement in that department next season too.

IronCroos37

Next season going to be worse. This year Mou might win a cup and finished 2th, so even if next year's CL campaign is going to be better, I could see united have a fight for top 4, because Prem top 4 is no easy task.

I hope Mou win's this year's FA Cup, next year either League or Fa Cup, semi's for CL and a secured top 4 finish. I can't see him beating City, no manager can't. I hope Pep's leaves City

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
It's already an improvement on last season. So I expect more improvement in that department next season too.
They have to learn to go straight for the throats and kill games off. They go ahead and then let teams come onto them either that or they just let teams take the initative from the start. The latter is a problem against teams they really should be beating, but you have to go out and do that, not just turn up and it is job done.

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
This league has become very unpredictable from one season to the next but the one thing that has become a trend is that the champions put up a pitiful defence of the title.

...is the most optimistic comment I can come up with.

Nikelesh Reddy

Our target should be to get to 90 points next season....That's obviously easier said than done,but if we don't drop so many silly points next season,we could get to 90.If City still end up winning the league,then you just have to doff your hat to them...

Nikelesh Reddy

Improve the fecking football and most of us will be happy!

Yes, our squad quality is miles behind City right now, but so is the approach of our manager. Mourinho wouldn’t get half the shit he does on here if he adopted a more offensive approach to matches.
He maybe wouldn't be able to get 80 plus points and 2nd place with this particular set of players if he adopted a different style....

MrBest

This is what’s ridiculous in here come on ffs. Jose has played Mctominay and Rashford much more than Pep has played Foden this season use your common sense buddy. That statement sums the Jose bashers up in here. Surprised they are not slagging of his hair style next. Even LVG or Moyes never got this much abuse on here it’s bordering on insanity.
Lol rashford and mctomoninay been around first team all season. This was a fantastic opportunity to see a raw talent. Nothing to play for. Think what u like no but Jose is delusional. Another poor display.