Mourinho says it will be difficult to catch City next season

YouOnlyLiveTwice

That’s fair enough. But we can easily improve our style of football next season, that would be a decent target.

Ducklegs

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Of course it will, our squad is more than a bit crap in comparison.

The state of our team is shocking really.

haram

OP really wants to spin everything into a negative.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
He's stating the obvious. Look how City won it at a canter. Will be interesting to see what signings they make for next season and whether the signings will hamper them. They've been constantly linked to a winger and I'll be surprised if the names linked to coming in have a better output than Sterling or Sane did this season.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
We lost by 20+/- points, it’s a World Cup transfer window and City are likely to outspend us again.

No, @Adisa, it’s going to be a walk in the fecking park and Mourinho should tell everyone how easy it’s going to be.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
Improve the fecking football and most of us will be happy!

Yes, our squad quality is miles behind City right now, but so is the approach of our manager. Mourinho wouldn’t get half the shit he does on here if he adopted a more offensive approach to matches.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
Beating teams who have a fraction of our budget would've healped a lot to bridge the gap.

We are shambolic attacking-wise.
Agreed! We are shambolic as an attacking entity and this lays firmly at the feet of the manager.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Accusing me of spinning. :lol:
The title and the post are literally from the horse's mouth. Take it whatever way you want .

ash_86

I'm confident that we'll do well against top teams as players are up to it. We need to do much better against smaller teams to have any chance though. We've been poor against them this season

pacifictheme

Getting his excuses in early I see. It should be very, very easy.
While his comments are annoying in what world is it very very easy to catch this city team? a team thats broken so many records fot a single season, who will only strengthen over the summer.

Woodzy

Putting pressure on the board to spend (not that they have to done in the past) early, good stuff.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
He's obviously right. I'd hope he won't still be saying that at the end of the summer (even if he still thinks it) but one would imagine his concern right now is to pressure the club to be as aggressive as possible in the transfer market.

haram

OP trying to act oblivious to the tone he was trying to set.

Acheron

Supports
Real Madrid
Even if he's right I expect him to challenge them, actually don't see other team aside from Manchester United to be able to compete with them. Manchester City has actually been building a very good team and developing their infrastructure way before Mourinho arrived to United so they now need to catch up to them and you can't expect it to happen in one or two seasons.

MrBest

Let's say Jose gets 200m to spend, do you trust him with this cash? He's already spent 300m in 2 years, we are in a better position but the football is paint drying comparable. We are miles behind city and not because ofbthe quality. City do have a better squad but 20 points does not define that gap in quality. I think Jose has lost some of his players. Similar pattern to his previous spells at clubs. I'm worried that with the world cup to, the first 3 months for the 1819 season will be a disaster.

Canagel

He needs to freshen up his approach and methods because they are also contributing to that massive gap. A lot of people now on the caf are at a point where even good football is welcome regardless of trophies or not. This is where we are right now. But it is funny at the start of the season he was confident we were ready for a title challenge and now this. Perhaps he overestimated the quality of some of our players. Anyways let's hope for a closer battle next season but I'm not confident we'll get that.

Last edited:

el3mel

Let's say Jose gets 200m to spend, do you trust him with this cash? He's already spent 300m in 2 years, we are in a better position but the football is paint drying comparable. We are miles behind city and not because ofbthe quality. City do have a better squad but 20 points does not define that gap in quality. I think Jose has lost some of his players. Similar pattern to his previous spells at clubs. I'm worried that with the world cup to, the first 3 months for the 1819 season will be a disaster.
Err yes ? How is that even a question ? You can have your opinion about the football he's serving as you want, it's ok, but if you believe our squad is starting to have a good quality and it's not the problem,then it's only down to Mourinho signings, no ? If you are going to list the likes of Matic, Pogba, Sanchez, Lukaku ..etc as an example of the quality we have then they are all his signings ? So yes he's very trustable with the money he gets and he's injecting more quality in the squad with each market passing. This has nothing to do with his style of play. You're mixing things up.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
Seriously no one is asking we become City of this season. Just play better football and resemble United of past.

So sick of this "oh but we wouldn't have beat City with our previous squads either". I mean, yeah okay maybe not but that doesn't mean we can't be better!

Eddy_JukeZ

Inspiring from the manager.

Doubt he was saying stuff like this after his 1st season at Real and going up against a much better team(while having a better team himself tbf, but it's all relative).

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
I'm hoping he's saying stuff like this and the things about not wanting to do much business this summer to stop other clubs taking the piss with all the business we're going to do.
Considering before that he's said we still need to buy and how he keeps saying he's not happy with the team, I'm gonna hold on to this hope.

Hawks2008

Accusing me of spinning. :lol:
The title and the post are literally from the horse's mouth. Take it whatever way you want .
Nah havent you heard? Poor Jose is working with pub league players and shoestring budget. How can he be expected to take plucky underdogs United to victory against evil empire City? It's all an agenda or something...

Flytan

I'm fine finishing behind City again if we can at least win games against bottom teams and play well.

ravi2

I'm fine finishing behind City again if we can at least win games against bottom teams and play well.
I agree, but Jose has to get this transfer window right. No excuses for not getting high performing full backs and a RW in.

Womp

idiot
Nah havent you heard? Poor Jose is working with pub league players and shoestring budget. How can he be expected to take plucky underdogs United to victory against evil empire City? It's all an agenda or something...
No-one is spinning this though? There are people saying we need to spend to close the gap, hardly revolutionary stuff. Whatever you think about the style of football is a completely different argument. When one team who is already ahead consistently continues to outspend you, you're going to be left behind.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
I can't help but compare to SAF when Abramovich and Jose himself rocked up to Chelsea. The huge spending power they had, and yet SAF just went on with his business and concentrated on how to topple them.

Jose needs to forget Pep and get the best out of our players, whilst using the resources available to him wisely. And no more telling players at half time that they will lose a match etc. He just needs to sort out his attitude and approach and we'll do much better next season. It doesn't mean we'll be No 1, but hopefully not finishing 20 points off the top, which is hugely embarrassing.