Mourinho's Pereira press conference | 1:30pm BST

Status
Not open for further replies.

Android1974

Incredibly anal about player positions in lineups
But let's be honest. This is José we are talking about, he's not famed for rotating players and he obviously isn't the risky type to put his trust in younger players.

This is a world cup year, and there are not many Brazilians of his generation that play in Europe (assuming it gives a significant advantage). How would he not take the decision not to go on loan. Let's not forget that he'd come earlier this season to say he didn't want a loan but to fight for a spot. Perhaps the manager has not given him any assurances or trust that AP would play a significant number of games. I emphasize the point of TFM last season, up until the last week of the season, he had only played like 4 mins of competitive football at any level iirc. He's gone on loan and after 3 games despite being on the losing side, he gets a call up to the national team.
He's not famed for rotating, but did it a lot, really, a lot last season.

A.Pereira has no chance to go to the World Cup, in my opinion.

cyberman

Jose has rotated players quite a lot with us since he joined. I have no idea where people get that from.
IMO its criminal to leave when the manager wants you to stay and says you're a serious option to start as the season progresses.
Its a massive black mark against him. It also makes me think that playing long term for us isn't a big priority for him. Seems he's gonna run off to La Liga when a big club comes in for him.

Skills

Snitch
Perreira's decision seems very mature and sensible for a young player. He knows how good he is & what he needs to do to improve, and he's going to do that.

Anyways, if his long term future is here it's also better for us for him to actually improve & develop with proper game time, rather than be a back up filling gaps with 10-12 appearances a season.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
He won't have much of a future at United.

It's the same mistake that Januzaj did forcing that loan move to Dortmund.
Pereira wants to play and he's joining a club where he will play unlike Januzaj. It's more like Pogba but this is a loan.

Mourinho is disappointed because he wanted Pereira in the squad and use him as a backup because that would have been perfect for him but not as perfect for Pereira. In his mind he'll come back after having improved more, Carrick will probably be gone and Fellaini a year older. Maybe he'll even be better than Herrera.

A lot can change in a year and from his personal perspective it doesn't look irrational tbh. Staying would obviously also been good for him but it's hard for a young player not to play when you're good enough.

notcool

Supports
a
This press embargo nonsense should be ended. The press don't deserve this privilege.

reelworld

Don't think Pereira will make it here tbh. Yes, he took a chance to improve his game with (supposedly) more game time at Valencia. But alot can happen in a year.
If we have an injury crisis in midfield and McTominay grab his chance and run with it, there's no way for Pereira to come back at play at United again.
His loan move has to be very exceptional for that to happen

Reyoji-Utd

I think many here probably misunderstand what Mourinho was implying with.

He said he's a bit disappointed at Pereira because he decided to leave and not staying here to fight for his place isn't just simply about staying and getting match time. But, it would also the process of getting to know the first team players, building understanding, grows into something together, and especially Mourinho demands, methods, and tactics...etc.

I think that's what Mourinho wants Pereira to stay for because in my opinion Mourinho think that he's showed what he capable of at his loan last season. And, this season it's about bedding in with the other players and learning Mourinho's methods.

It's nothing wrong that Pereira think that by getting more playing times he's probably has a chance to get a spot for his national team and getting better when he come back to Utd.

Carolina Red

Staff
I would say they were also cutting for people who did the usual "Jose won't give them a chance" Jig. Once again when the facts come out we see that the player went against the Managers wishes and did not fancy fighting for his place.
I'm with you here. When coaching, I want to see if a backup guy has it in him to rise to the occasion and push the starter for a spot. It forces the starter to up their game and shows me the character of the player in question. It stands to reason to me that Jose is that same kind of coach.

When the guy you're anxiously watching to rise up instead cowers away from the challenge, it is always a disappointment as you're always wanting competition within your squad.

OohAahMartial

Pereira hasn't even made the squads I think let alone the bench so its not surprising. Crucial age where he needs games. If Jose wanted him he needed to show him with squad roles. Fellaini is still ahead of him. Imagins how dispiriting that must be.

Red_toad

Don't think Pereira will make it here tbh. Yes, he took a chance to improve his game with (supposedly) more game time at Valencia. But alot can happen in a year.
If we have an injury crisis in midfield and McTominay grab his chance and run with it, there's no way for Pereira to come back at play at United again.
His loan move has to be very exceptional for that to happen
If he's good enough he'll get his chances. Obviously Jose wanted him to stay. But I'm sure he'll get over it. Yet another load of drama being created as the boss was honest in a presser....

flappyjay

When players like kovacic ceballos Vasquez asensio and many others can fight for their places with Madrid , what was the problem for peierea except for lure of living in Spain for another year with more game time while chickening out o the competition for places.

If he has to get into United team some or other time he should have fought like lingard and rashford.

Herrera matic Carrick an fellani are not attacking midfeilders they are all defensive ones , so his direct competion would have been with pogba in his position and pogba will need rest some or other time.

Pierera took a typical selfish desicion as he still would have to fight next year for his position in the same midfeild.
Difference is that Zidane rotates his squad

MDFC Manager

"I know the ones I can press"

He knows that comment is getting back to AP and he seems the type of lad to rise too it. JM knows what he is doing there.
Yup, super psychologist Mourinho has got it right again :rolleyes:

dichinero

Once again, another unnecessary public rant by José. The kid said that going on loan was a last minute decision probably due to conversations with the manager where he was not guaranteed a sufficient chance to improve. He opted to actually play football, to which he was pleased with and happy enough to extend his contract with. He also said that the manager was happy with it. Up until this point, it is about a young player with ambition who would hopefully return to United as a more rounded player. José opens his mouth and it all goes nuts.

Red_toad

Once again, another unnecessary public rant by José. The kid said that going on loan was a last minute decision probably due to conversations with the manager where he was not guaranteed a sufficient chance to improve. He opted to actually play football, to which he was pleased with and happy enough to extend his contract with. He also said that the manager was happy with it. Up until this point, it is about a young player with ambition who would hopefully return to United as a more rounded player. José opens his mouth and it all goes nuts.
Rant? Where did he rant? Simply said he disagreed with a players decision. Obviously he should just have said the old I don't talk about players from other clubs, just to keep the like of you happy!

SirAF

Ageist
There really are som sad feckers here.. taking every chance to have a pop at Mourinho.

Castia

Pereira made the right decision that's certain, he didn't even make the bench and he's got Herrera and Fellaini ahead of him on top of that. A full year playing reserve football and EFL cup matches isn't an option at this set age he needs games.

Valencia are a good club in a competitive league it's a good move for AP.

Kostur

海尔的老板
Difference is that Zidane rotates his squad
Well, let's see.

I've had a look at minutes played last season by both squads, I think it's more fair to count MP than games played because somebody might play just 5 minutes at the end of the game and it would count as a game played, so let's stick to the minutes. The barrier of decent time given to players I've picked for the league is 1000 minutes, 500 minutes for CL, 600 minutes for EL (it's got what, two extra games?).

United have 19 players who have played over 1000 minutes in the league, with Ashley Young being next one with 756 minutes. RM have 21 players (should've been 20 as Casilla has 990 minutes but let's not be picky), Coentrao being the next one with 169 minutes.

As for CL and EL: Madrid have 11 players with over 500 minutes with Isco sitting on 386 minutes next in line, United have 14 players in EL with Lingard being the next in line with 526.

So overall we've got 19v21 and 14v11, United first.

Yeah, so much for Zidane's rotation.

Brightonian

There's some mad conclusion-jumping going on in this thread.

I think Pereira made the right decision, personally. He's beyond the sort of game time that Mourinho could realistically have given him this season.

Mourinho's pissed because he obviously rates him and probably imagined that he would find a way to work him into the side during the course of the season. But those kind of plans so rarely actually come to anything in a big PL club - the going gets tough, and suddenly dropping Pogba or Herrera or Mata for a game doesn't seem like such a good idea.

I doubt he'll hold a grudge. It's because he wanted the lad to play with us that he's annoyed.

Litch

Said it before, he sees his future in Spain imo and that's why he's placing himself in that shop window. If you are going on loan to come back to your parent club, why would you do it against the wishes of the very manager you are hoping to give you the chance?
He should have stayed imo as opportunities present themselves unexpectedly. Every autobiography I've read about footballers break in the first team was unplanned and often based on injuries etc. Rashford is testimony of this.

I think Jose is saying if that's where he sees himself, that's fine but he still has a contract here so we still will have some say if/when this happens.

EyeInTheSky

I'm with you here. When coaching, I want to see if a backup guy has it in him to rise to the occasion and push the starter for a spot. It forces the starter to up their game and shows me the character of the player in question. It stands to reason to me that Jose is that same kind of coach.

When the guy you're anxiously watching to rise up instead cowers away from the challenge, it is always a disappointment as you're always wanting competition within your squad.

Also, I can't entertain the argument because its fundamentally flawed. We would have to ignore the facts on the ground and the number of youth team players Jose has given first team status and minutes on the pitch. Firstly we can't expect a manager to put a young player in just for the sake of it especially considering that there are better alternatives in the team. Second why is one particular youth player more important than the rest? Why then can't we argue that all the youth players get a first team chance for the heck of it. The argument itself is moot because we do have our youth team players playing regularly in case people had not noticed and its ironic that one of them gets slated every week (Lingard) along with the manager for picking him in the first place.

All I can say is that I am happy that the managers Job is not dependent on whichever youth team player x, y, z is being championed this month. If he tried to please everyone it would be a circus.

Please tell me of any manager in top flight football who has the luxury of having a whole load of youth team products (from their own academy) or elsewhere for that matter, playing week in week out. The only Managers/Clubs that you will find do it out of necessity because of finances and even they are dwindling in producing their own youth players.

I Believe

everything Nigel Farage told me
I'll be very surprised if he's with us this time next season
Me too, unless the lad has a re-think!

Deep down maybe Andreas knows he isn't good enough to make it at United and wants a chance to develop his game to attract other offers, in which case going on loan makes perfect sense. Good luck to him, but we have to remember Mourhino isn't there to run a personal career development programme, his first thought has to be for the good of the club. Given the lads past indiscretions, especially his tomfoolery with Januzaj, being brought back after a year in Granada, being included in the pre-season programme, etc. should have given him the message, but as they say you can't put an old head on young shoulders.

I sincerely hope he does make it, even if its not at OT, he certainly has shown the potential.

prtk0811

Said it before, he sees his future in Spain imo and that's why he's placing himself in that shop window. If you are going on loan to come back to your parent club, why would you do it against the wishes of the very manager you are hoping to give you the chance?
He should have stayed imo as opportunities present themselves unexpectedly. Every autobiography I've read about footballers break in the first team was unplanned and often based on injuries etc. Rashford is testimony of this.

I think Jose is saying if that's where he sees himself, that's fine but he still has a contract here so we still will have some say if/when this happens.
Yes exactly, he is building himself up and putting himself in the shop window. The only competition as a player he would have here as an attacking creative midfeilder in the first team is pogba and he wont get ahead of him in the first team ever and hence his decision is personnel and selfish.

Valencia being a big club might buy him with a successful loan spell. Which could kick start his career as a first teamer.

And he being a brazilian he would definately like to play his trade in spain and jump at every opportunity to go there.

prtk0811

There's some mad conclusion-jumping going on in this thread.

I think Pereira made the right decision, personally. He's beyond the sort of game time that Mourinho could realistically have given him this season.

Mourinho's pissed because he obviously rates him and probably imagined that he would find a way to work him into the side during the course of the season. But those kind of plans so rarely actually come to anything in a big PL club - the going gets tough, and suddenly dropping Pogba or Herrera or Mata for a game doesn't seem like such a good idea.

I doubt he'll hold a grudge. It's because he wanted the lad to play with us that he's annoyed.
That conclusion jumping is very real and with great point and meaning. He may very well is putting himself in a shop window.

I Believe

Ah come on, you don't believe that do you? Really? He is 6th choice, that is the reality.
Yes, I do and yes it probably is, but Jose was showing him where the bottom of the ladder was, but he is looking for a single step ladder! You have to be in it to win it and all that, Rashford was probable 16th choice when he got his chance!
One things for certain playing in Valencia, he's getting no where near our bench. Who is he hoping to impress by playing in Spain, when his managers made it clear he wanted him to stay here? Or is Andreas admitting (at least to himself) I'm not up to scratch, need more playing time.

Lets hope he sees sense and comes back on the 1st January.

diarm

My word some people are incredibly determined to make mountains out of molehills on here!

Pereira wanted a guarantee of game time which wasn't going to happen here so he asked for the loan. Jose wanted him to stay but agreed to let him leave on loan for 6 months to begin with.

It's literally as simple as that. Yeah maybe Jose was annoyed that he didn't want to stay and fight for a place and trying to push some buttons by talking publicly but that's what Jose does. Look at Lukaku for proof that these comments and actions pay off for him.

Pereira was probably looking at last years selections, as well as the upcoming world cup and the stage his career is at. He's a young fella trying to make the right decisions. He's not evil or disloyal or selfish - just a lad attempting to do the right thing for his career.

Likewise not everything Jose does has sinister motives. He's just a coach trying to balance the best interests of his club to a bigger picture.

Life must be like a constant episode of EastEnders for some of ye feckers on here. The constant desire to invent drama is hilarious!

EyeInTheSky

.;
My word some people are incredibly determined to make mountains out of molehills on here!

Pereira wanted a guarantee of game time which wasn't going to happen here so he asked for the loan. Jose wanted him to stay but agreed to let him leave on loan for 6 months to begin with.

It's literally as simple as that. Yeah maybe Jose was annoyed that he didn't want to stay and fight for a place and trying to push some buttons by talking publicly but that's what Jose does. Look at Lukaku for proof that these comments and actions pay off for him.

Pereira was probably looking at last years selections, as well as the upcoming world cup and the stage his career is at. He's a young fella trying to make the right decisions. He's not evil or disloyal or selfish - just a lad attempting to do the right thing for his career.

Likewise not everything Jose does has sinister motives. He's just a coach trying to balance the best interests of his club to a bigger picture.

Life must be like a constant episode of EastEnders for some of ye feckers on here. The constant desire to invent drama is hilarious!

Your such an apologist for Jose. Everyone knows he hates young people (even his own children). None of his trophies count because he didn't win them in the right way and that is with 11 under 17's on the pitch.

Litch

The thing for me is about loan moves is it doesn't really answer anything. If he was a Valencia player that we were buying, the questions would be can he apply his game in this league even if he was superb in Spain. He came back the last time after a solid season in Spain, and now left with the same questions being asked.

Aside from everything, like Jose said it sends the wrong message like you've don't think you are good enough to fight for your place....well next season when he arrives to training, it might see no room in the car park.

TimScoreboard

Supports
Palermo
Me too, unless the lad has a re-think!

Deep down maybe Andreas knows he isn't good enough to make it at United and wants a chance to develop his game to attract other offers, in which case going on loan makes perfect sense. Good luck to him, but we have to remember Mourhino isn't there to run a personal career development programme, his first thought has to be for the good of the club. Given the lads past indiscretions, especially his tomfoolery with Januzaj, being brought back after a year in Granada, being included in the pre-season programme, etc. should have given him the message, but as they say you can't put an old head on young shoulders.

I sincerely hope he does make it, even if its not at OT, he certainly has shown the potential.
The lad can play, we saw glimpses of that this pre-season and maybe after giving the lad the opportunity, Jose feels let down.... But as I said in the first bit... something about it just doesn't add up. But he's gone, so it's about what we do have and keeping momentum going

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
Then why let it happen? I don't get this one... If Jose didn't want it to happen... then it doesn't happen. He must have agreed to it
Pereira probably really wanted it, and there's no point having a player there who's uncomfortable being around the first team at the moment. It shows ambition I'd say, that he doesn't feel worthy of playing in the first team yet but really wants to get there, hence why he signed a long term deal just after he went on loan.

I Believe

something about it just doesn't add up
If there is some skull-duggery or other motives, it will all come out 'in the wash' at some point... very little stays hidden at OT for too long these days, isn't there supposed to be a 'mole' feeding stuff to the press?;)

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
The thing for me is about loan moves is it doesn't really answer anything. If he was a Valencia player that we were buying, the questions would be can he apply his game in this league even if he was superb in Spain. He came back the last time after a solid season in Spain, and now left with the same questions being asked.

Aside from everything, like Jose said it sends the wrong message like you've don't think you are good enough to fight for your place....well next season when he arrives to training, it might see no room in the car park.
Its a shit question as we buy players from abroad all the time and so do other teams. What does going on loan to a relegation PL team show? Nothing because we won't be parking the bus every game like them. Playing for a good team like Valencia will be a lot more similar to playing for us than some dross like Crystal Palace or Swansea.

He is fighting for just a place on the bench, its a waste of a season just like TFM's last season. He currently has no spot, he has gone on loan to a club where he will have a spot. Mourinho of course wants all the options possible for the team but it clearly won't be beneficial to Andreas' development at all. If he has a great season at Valencia than Mourinho will be more than happy.

TimScoreboard

Supports
Palermo
Pereira probably really wanted it, and there's no point having a player there who's uncomfortable being around the first team at the moment. It shows ambition I'd say, that he doesn't feel worthy of playing in the first team yet but really wants to get there, hence why he signed a long term deal just after he went on loan.
But even the signing of an extension confuses the issue... In terms of talking openly about a player, Jose was brutal yesterday, with absolutely no positive comments made about the lad. Now if these feeling have only come to fore in Jose in the last week or so, maybe Jose needs to be more critical of himself and his own judging of a player

TimScoreboard

Supports
Palermo
If there is some skull-duggery or other motives, it will all come out 'in the wash' at some point... very little stays hidden at OT for too long these days, isn't there supposed to be a 'mole' feeding stuff to the press?;)
Do we need a mole with Jose being so willing to be openly critical of his players? No wonder the press love the bloke; personally I'd like to see them work harder for their headlines. But... he is what he is and he will have a reason for saying it, I'd just rather he didn't.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
But even the signing of an extension confuses the issue... In terms of talking openly about a player, Jose was brutal yesterday, with absolutely no positive comments made about the lad. Now if these feeling have only come to fore in Jose in the last week or so, maybe Jose needs to be more critical of himself and his own judging of a player
I think it's clear Jose rates Pereira, that's why he's annoyed he pushed for a loan move. We could've used a player like Pereira this season, so it's pissed me off too - but he'll come back better and hungry for a starting spot.

Ferguson

If you force a player to stay and it turns out to be the wrong decision, then you will have an unhappy player in your dressing room.

Mourinho is right to listen to his player. I always assumed this was AP's choice (and said as much before in the Perreira thread).

AP's success on loan last year will probably have weighed heavily in his decision. The player will know how much he learned through playing regularly. Personally, I agree with his decision.

I don't agree that Jose is hurting the player by making these remarks. If anything he is underlining his confidence in the player. He said AP was staying this season, so he needs to explain the about-face.

Litch

Its a shit question as we buy players from abroad all the time and so do other teams. What does going on loan to a relegation PL team show? Nothing because we won't be parking the bus every game like them. Playing for a good team like Valencia will be a lot more similar to playing for us than some dross like Crystal Palace or Swansea.

He is fighting for just a place on the bench, its a waste of a season just like TFM's last season. He currently has no spot, he has gone on loan to a club where he will have a spot. Mourinho of course wants all the options possible for the team but it clearly won't be beneficial to Andreas' development at all. If he has a great season at Valencia than Mourinho will be more than happy.
Thats not my point. He can make any decision what he thinks it right for him which is his choice, but when your manager thinks different it will leave your career at the club up in the air. I don't remember saying he had to go to a regelation PL team but you were probably one of them saying how great he did in a regelation team in Spain which was 'dross'. There is nothing to say he's not gonna start in Spain either.

I don't get fans thinking when they seem to think Andreas development is better than weakening the team with one less option if say Pogba gets injured this afternoon. Shit question or not, great season or not in Valencia, the one question he will not have answered is is he good enough to be a Man Utd player. Clearly Jose thought that already so why would he gamble his career by proving that away from the club WHEN there are hundred of players that would love the opportunity to do that here. I don't think it's coincidence that he's gone back to Spain as that's where I think he sees himself anyway like many Brazilian players.

For me, Andreas has done nothing here to date, and everyone's opinion can only be based on his potential. Rashford is the best counter argument to stay and when the opportunity presented itself, he took it.

Status
Not open for further replies.