Mourinho's scapegoating and blameshifting - can you think of another manager on par with it?

Rolaholic

Thank God we cut ties with him before he set us back even further away from City and Liverpool.

He's washed up and should've gone on sabbatical to self reflect and hopefully evolve after getting sacked but his ego wouldn't let him.

Now in the future, he'll be lucky to get national team shouts after he crashes out at Spurs as everyone can predict. No self respecting top club in Europe will want to touch him with a ten foot pole

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
Without resorting to hyperbole, Jose is clearly a spent force and will struggle to find a top level job now and should retire. His methods are history and he hasn't the youthful exuberance to carry it off any more.

It is really surprising how quickly it has gone wrong at Spurs though.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
How long until he’s using this twitter page as a way to defend himself? ;)

Sylar

Madrid broke him it seems. It seemed the first time he had issues with players (or moreso players had issues with him)
Since then, hes been so defensive and almost like hes trying to show nothing is ever his fault.

Hes becoming or become everything he used to make fun of. Almost like hes trying to preserve his own legacy and show hes a great manager without actually doing what made him a great manager.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Without resorting to hyperbole, Jose is clearly a spent force and will struggle to find a top level job now and should retire. His methods are history and he hasn't the youthful exuberance to carry it off any more.

It is really surprising how quickly it has gone wrong at Spurs though.
I don't think it's about methods: he surrounds himself with some of the best staff you could get and he got his academical knowledge in one of the world's best institution on high performance sports training (FMH). I really think his leadership is problematic with nowadays players. When he started becoming a manager, most of the players didn't even heard of stuff like HIIT, periodization or pattern training.

Today players have a very strong knowledge from the grassroots, either from tactical and technical perspective and they are much more literate overall (most academies will drop you out of games if you start having bad grades) and they are much more professional. They will not take his autocratic behavior.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
I don't think it's about methods: he surrounds himself with some of the best staff you could get and he got his academical knowledge in one of the world's best institution on high performance sports training (FMH). I really think his leadership is problematic with nowadays players. When he started becoming a manager, most of the players didn't even heard of stuff like HIIT, periodization or pattern training.

Today players have a very strong knowledge from the grassroots, either from tactical and technical perspective and they are much more literate overall (most academies will drop you out of games if you start having bad grades) and they are much more professional. They will not take his autocratic behavior.
No, I agree, when I said methods I was actually meaning his methods of management as a whole, including leadership.

johanovic

It must speak volumes that he has been sacked 3 times in a row now with Real,Chelsea and United and I think he will not last long at Spurs either. How can he be such a genius as some claim but clubs sack him constantly after turning everyone and everything against him? His behaviour when he was United manager was just dreadful... What signal does it send out to fans and players when the manager lives in a Hotel for his entire time while at a club of Untied stature? Mourinho is living on past achivement and unlike Sir Alex does not understand the need to reinvent your self as a manager and develop... His football is dire to watch and for goods sake the man is being paid millions at his fourth club now and still manages to spread negativity all around him and play the victim game ... Dreadful manager and so full of himself that´s beyond belive

Champagne Football

Porto was a great achievement but they were the Dortmund of the day. They cherry picked the world's best young talent back in those days, and they used to cruise to Europa League titles with clowns like Villas Boas in charge. Tim Howard's monster cock up in the last minute in the semi final against Porto was the difference between Jose becoming just another Rafa Benitez or ending up at clubs whose spending power was so astronomical that Steve Kean would win the title every season if in charge.

Last edited:

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
How did we ever think Jose at United would work?

Worse still, what was Spurs thinking?

Jose needs a long break from football to reassess himself and develop a new modern style of play. Or take on a national team for a while.
Won us two trophies and finished higher than any Utd manager post-Fergie...

The problem was keeping him too long - should've been sacked after his 2nd season.

Fact remains, he's our most successful manager since Fergie retired.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Porto was a great achievement but they were the Dortmund of the day. They cherry picked the world's best young talent back in those days, and they used to cruise to Eyrooa League titles with clowns like Villas Boas in charge. Tim Howard's monster cock up in the last minute in the semi final against Porto was the difference between Jose becoming just another Rafa Benitez or ending up at clubs whose spending power was so astronomical that Steve Kean would win the title every season if in charge.
Tbf, Porto squad at Villas Boas season it was probably the best squad Porto ever had. Yes, Mourinho heavilly relied on Porto well organized department of football. Unfortunately for Porto, they relied too much on Lopetegui project to modernize the club and it was an utter failure, because they spent so much money and got almost no benefits from it.

Eire Red United

Worst in history for throwing players under the bus?

It's so cliche, it's a given meme with him the moment he is appointed *anywhere*.

Can't think of another manager or coach who comes close, now or in the past, can you?

What damage is he doing to his legacy with his latter day shithousery?
Ferguson would have done it although in a different way. Blame absolutely anyone and everything bar his players.

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
Didn’t he pretty blatantly throw Shevchenko under the bus way back when?
Mourinho drops Shevchenko and declares war

Jose Mourinho intends to drop Andriy Shevchenko from Chelsea's squad for the Premiership match with Wigan today in a direct challenge to Roman Abramovich to back him with new signings or sack him immediately.

Chelsea's manager has been prevented from recruiting the new striker he considers essential to the club's domestic and European campaigns and denied even minor funds to purchase a central defender to replace John Terry, whose return from back surgery is proving more problematic than expected.

Mourinho has also been infuriated by the club's attempt to dismiss Steve Clarke and replace his assistant with a Russian-speaking Israeli coach to help Shevchenko rediscover his form. Mourinho's response to the board was to request that rather than change his backroom staff, Chelsea's owner should tell Shevchenko "to do some work for once".

Abramovich's close friendship with his £30m summer signing appears set to cost Chelsea the services of the man who has won back-to-back titles in his two full seasons in England. Citing ineffective spending in previous transfer windows, the Russian and his advisers told Mourinho in a recent strategy meeting that under no circumstances would he be allowed to add a striker to the squad and instructed him to use Shevchenko properly.
:lol:

SAFMUTD

It wasn’t always like this, in his first clubs he was loved and one of his main attributes was that he had the whole squad really united, all the players would had bleed for him. Specially that Inter team, numerous players have come forward saying how when Mourinho came it all shifted and how he made them feel part of something greater.

I think it all changed at Real, when he got that fight with Casillas and lost control of that dressing room. After that he’s done it in every single team he’s gone.

Pass and Move

I've read reports a few times about how new signings at United are made to watch videos about the club's history, and what it means to play for United. It inspires them, unites them, and means they're willing to make sacrifices both on the pitch, and by being on the bench. Ferguson was the master at nurturing this culture.

Mourinho was the opposite. He inspired the players to play for him. At Chelsea, the first time, he was young, fresh, and inspiring, and the club hadn't won anything recently, so his ideas were adopted and there was enough money to support his ambitions. The bench was full of superstars who were happy to rotate when the club was winning things. I remember clearly saying to friends that as soon as results take a dip, the discontent will creep in and these superstars will question why they're not first choice. He started to lose the players and the hierarchy at the club and things soon turned sour.

At Inter his team were the underdogs in the fight for the CL, full of effective but unglamorous players, and so they too got behind him and were willing to play his discipline based game.

Since then he's lost the novelty of being new and inspirational, and he's found himself at established clubs where the players aren't willing to play like his Inter team, so I think he'll always struggle now no matter how good he still is tactically.

Wenger suffered from a similar issue I think in his later years. The players didn't seem to buy into his philosophy 100%, which I think explains the lack of commitment, or backbone when things got tough. Contrast this to Barca under Pep, Liverpool this year, or Atletico a few seasons ago where the players are 100% committed to the tactics being utilised.

TLDR, Mourinho relies on winning the dressing room in order to win on the pitch, but he's no longer the young, charismatic guy he once was, so he's struggling to get a team willing to commit to his methods.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
This self-preservation-at-all-costs has probably earned him at least the spurs contract if not the proceeding United one. There’s a reason for it....he’s not just going to turn round and admit he’s done, not when he’s being paid a fortune

dalriada

The problem was keeping him too long - should've been sacked after his 2nd season.

That's his problem, though, isn't it - and why we hired him I guess. He's a manager for short-term success, "guaranteed to bring you silverware".
Then he goes on strike when he doesn't get a blank cheque to just buy players at random and see if they fit (Mkhitaryan, Sánchez, Pogba), and throws them under a bus when it doesn't work out.
The trail of trouble he leaves behind him just isn't worth a couple of seasons of success.

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
Any other examples of a manager suffering such a steep decline as Mourinho has? He's gone from easily having the potential to be one of the greatest of all time (and certainly still merits discussion, at least in his era, as being the best) to now not just being unsuccessful but unpopular, bitter, selfish and genuinely appearing to not really care about whether he succeeds or not. The fact he lived in a hotel in all his time at United through to his total indifference to the Spurs penalty shoot-out against Norwich, all indicative of a man who has lost his passion for the game.

kaiser1

Supports
Bayern Munich
I wonder how Mourinho's interview would have gone if Ederson gave that performance yesterday and cost him the game vs a rival

Strelok

His change in appearance tells the story best. He used to be a slick handsome Portuguese dude. Now he's an old, miserable, bald has been just looking disgusted 90% of the time. He walks around like he fecking hates his job.
True.

As much as I dislike the man, must admit he was handsome, looked intelligent and has a very special charm when he was in his first spell at Chelsea and Inter.

Now he's looked like he hates every living thing around him.

Nickelodeon

Can also think of Sarri who’s been critical of players openly across two different teams and leagues over the past two years.

Difference though is that he takes on the group instead of individuals.

For Jose, it’s not even surprising that he’s started doing that at Spurs. We were at least sort of shocked when he was taking shots at Shaw.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
I think this question is a bit chicken and the egg. Sometimes if a manager is doing very poorly they end up throwing players under the bus.

The question is has anyone done such a poor job with his last four clubs as Mourinho has done. Obviously not. The fact clubs near the top half of any big league is hiring him is madness.
He did an ok job at Real. Won them the first league in forever, that too against Pep's Barca, stopped a second treble for Barca, and got them to the CL semisX3 after going out in R16 for alost a decade. They also had an identifiable style of play. New managers showed that he underperformed in Europe but did better than most in the league.
Total collapse in the 3rd season though, just like at Chelsea and then here.

Alabaster Codify7

Any other examples of a manager suffering such a steep decline as Mourinho has? He's gone from easily having the potential to be one of the greatest of all time (and certainly still merits discussion, at least in his era, as being the best) to now not just being unsuccessful but unpopular, bitter, selfish and genuinely appearing to not really care about whether he succeeds or not. The fact he lived in a hotel in all his time at United through to his total indifference to the Spurs penalty shoot-out against Norwich, all indicative of a man who has lost his passion for the game.

Yeah his love for football is long gone. I think from now on he'll be taking pay-cheques and will be quite up-front about it - international sides with some money to burn, like Russia, Qatar, China etc. His underdog behaviour won't be mocked at teams like that, which will suit him better.

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
Yeah his love for football is long gone. I think from now on he'll be taking pay-cheques and will be quite up-front about it - international sides with some money to burn, like Russia, Qatar, China etc. His underdog behaviour won't be mocked at teams like that, which will suit him better.
Yeah I said to a mate yesterday that I could see him still having success as a national team manager but his enthusiasm for day-to-day management seems completely gone at this point. Managing a side like Russia or Qatar, as you suggest, I can see him having a positive impact by the magnitude of his reputation and personality alone, and because of the disparity in profile between player and manager they'll probably be subservient in a way that the big Premier League players will not be.

billybee99

I was wondering how long it would take a Jose fanboy to come along with this. I mean it is literally a bible quote from Jose fanboys "best United manager post-Fergie". Wow. Congrats Jose. Your better than David Moyes and 70-something year old LVG. Impressive stuff.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
I was wondering how long it would take a Jose fanboy to come along with this. I mean it is literally a bible quote from Jose fanboys "best United manager post-Fergie". Wow. Congrats Jose. Your better than David Moyes and 70-something year old LVG. Impressive stuff.
And Ole, you missed out Ole.

You also missed the bit where I clearly stated he should've been sacked after his second season - but that's ok, cuz you used the term 'fanboy' twice.

Go you!

Jinn

Mo is the manager version of Sanchez. Very good in the past and then a sharp decline.
He's in it for the money now. Don't fool yourself with his so called love for the game. I don't believe it for a second.
Don't think because he's already wealthy, he's doing it for the love of it, because when is enough for these type of people.
I know what some may think, but he's behaviour while at UTD, when he had all the opportunity to quit but made the players and fans miserable on his way to being sacked has made me think of him as a greedy, self serving little man.

Jinn

He's gonna shit a brick now that he's winter signing is injured.
Perfect time to prove all his doubters wrong. Go on...prove it!

L1nk

It's the Real Madrid curse really, up until that point he was clearly in his element with every club he had been at, yeah he had niggles here and there, but the majority of the teams and players he had in those teams would run through brick walls for him. That whole fantasy collapsed for him at Real, where he found himself losing his authority over the players, and since then I think he's overcompensated and tried too hard to reign the players in and let them know he's the one in charge, which hasn't sat well with them and has always evolved into a very toxic environment for everyone involved.

That, and I just think he hasn't at all evolved with the modern game, he's still playing football like he's at Inter Milan, its insane. There's no denying he's one of the all time greats, you cannot deny the influence the man has had on the game of football, but his star waned seasons ago, infact. For us, i think the time to have hired Mourinho was immediately after Sir Alex retired, and not when we did, that's not to say we didn't have the most success under him post Sir Alex, but rather, was it really worth it for how bad it actually got under him at one point. It actually got to the point where his poisonous attitude was making me almost miserable to watch United, and I dreaded hearing anything coming out of his mouth, it was shockingly bad at times.

He definitely needs a few years off, or do a National Team for a while, if not retiring altogether. I just don't think he has it in him to reinvent himself and be more relevant in the modern game now, especially with some of the managers on the world stage currently, he's living off of name alone unfortunately for him.

hobbers

The way half the Real Madrid squad acted with him, backstabbing him in the media, leaking everything under the sun and almost waging war on their team mates etc, really ruined him as a man-manager. He never recovered and seemingly never will.

Mindhunter

Porto was a great achievement but they were the Dortmund of the day. They cherry picked the world's best young talent back in those days, and they used to cruise to Eyrooa League titles with clowns like Villas Boas in charge. Tim Howard's monster cock up in the last minute in the semi final against Porto was the difference between Jose becoming just another Rafa Benitez or ending up at clubs whose spending power was so astronomical that Steve Kean would win the title every season if in charge.
So he is basically more than a cheque-book manager. It's not all he has been (contrary to your earlier statement). I firmly believe that he is past it but to discredit his monumental achievements is like rewriting the history books. Many of us are guilty of that. When he came to the EPL, he struck fear into the hears of even United fans who had been accustomed to league wins and the odd second place finish. He was the darling of the press and bred players who would run through a brick wall for him. He is one of the most distinguished and accomplished managers in the history of the game.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
He has turned into a massive grump and is extremely bitter. Throwing players under the bus is his frustration that they aren’t as mailable at they were at Chelsea, where generals like Terry kept his standards and walked the walk.

No one is going to play on a broken foot for a year for him in 2020.

He is a broken man in terms of his career but no one around today has reached the heights that he did at his peak. A CL with Porto and a treble with Inter. Even Guardiola and Klopp haven’t done anything quite as special as that.

Only Sir Alex in modern times (Aberdeen in Europe and treble with United) have reached those peaks.

It’s a pity he is unraveling his legacy. It makes Ferguson’s farewell season all the more special.

Luke1995

Correct me if i'm wrong but Van Gaal did it during his time here.

Revaulx

Correct me if i'm wrong but Van Gaal did it during his time here.
Did he?

He called out Shaw when he arrived at United from the World Cup out of condition and overweight. At the same time he praised him for the effort he was putting in to get himself fit.

Shaw seems to be rather high maintenance and to need both carrot and stick. Jose just slagged him off.

RUCK4444

He's a bitter washed up dinosaur, he thrives off siege mentality of going into a club causing an 'us vs the world' scenario and as soon as that notion loses steam he loses the players, in turn he throws them under the bus and causes nothing short of an embarrassing mess.

I don't respect anybody who will willingly throw people under the bus purely to save their own skin. That's a vile trait.

Che Guevara

Supports
Celtic
In terms of man-management and inter-personal skills, Mourinho is easily one of the worst managers. He trashes and humiliates his own players in public instead of privately going thru with them whatever they are getting wrong and improving their performances, and he blames everybody else except himself for bad results.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Yeah I said to a mate yesterday that I could see him still having success as a national team manager but his enthusiasm for day-to-day management seems completely gone at this point. Managing a side like Russia or Qatar, as you suggest, I can see him having a positive impact by the magnitude of his reputation and personality alone, and because of the disparity in profile between player and manager they'll probably be subservient in a way that the big Premier League players will not be.
This is mad as a few years ago I’d have absolutely loved him as Ireland manager (obs would never happen) but I don’t think I’d take him now even if he wanted to. He’s been so miserable the last few years. He was unbearable at the end here. It was such a relief when he eventually left.

Suedesi

I prefer this thread is locked until our game with Spurs next week.

Mourinho can still spoil our top 4 chances...