Mourinho's scapegoating and blameshifting - can you think of another manager on par with it?

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Worst in history for throwing players under the bus?

It's so cliche, it's a given meme with him the moment he is appointed *anywhere*.

Can't think of another manager or coach who comes close, now or in the past, can you?

What damage is he doing to his legacy with his latter day shithousery?

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129
Did he always do this or it is it a relatively new thing coinciding with becoming quite a shit manager? My memory of him when he was successful was that he always tried to deflect attention/pressure from his players. He seems to have stopped doing this in recent years with it all being about self preservation and blaming others

AaronRedDevil

To think a few years ago he was going to be the next best manager after saf. Now look at him. The young mou would have laughed at him for being a failure

Siorac

Did he always do this or it is it a relatively new thing coinciding with becoming quite a shit manager? My memory of him when he was successful was that he always tried to deflect attention/pressure from his players. He seems to have stopped doing this in recent years with it all being about self preservation and blaming others
Yeah, early on his antics were supposedly about drawing attention on to himself and away from the players. I'm guessing at some point it just became a need for attention without the motive for protecting players.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
To think a few years ago he was going to be the next best manager after saf. Now look at him. The young mou would have laughed at him for being a failure
True :lol:
Real broke him, or is he just old and bitter?

Bondi77

He is an arsehole and Spurs who are known as a club that likes to play football only have themselves to blame for employing this bloke.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
He is an arsehole and Spurs who are known as a club that likes to play football only have themselves to blame for employing this bloke.
Short term appointment for short term gains

Biting them on the arse

Spaghetti

Mom's
“Spurs” is sometimes used as a verb, and an example that an online dictionary would be:

Having a young, stable, sought-after manager whilst consistently finishing in the top 4 and reaching a Champions League final. Then paying off said manager and employing a poisonous has-been on a massive contract. To Spurs.

Feck Spurs and feck Mourinho.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Doubt people follow other lesser fancy managers as closely as they do Mourinho. Among the high profile managers he's the biggest culprit. But I imagine there's some absurdly egotistical managers like him around operating at a lower level.

I've always said this about himself - he's the most self serving and egotistical manager I've seen. He's obsessed with his image/standing and how hes perceived in the game. That, and obviously that he's a weirdly confrontational man.

Inigo Montoya

Yeah, early on his antics were supposedly about drawing attention on to himself and away from the players. I'm guessing at some point it just became a need for attention without the motive for protecting players.
It works when you have real warriors in your team. And he’s lucky with some of the most dislike-able but hard as nails players he’s had under him. And that’s his problem or Spurs problem currently: He relies on his team to do things, it’s not about nurture with Jose.

It’s as if he thinks “you guys get well paid to sort this out, why should I hold your hand?”
It might have worked in the old days of SAF , Paisley, Shankly etc but the modern footballer is very much a product Of our current environment. They’re needy, seek reassurance and at times mentally fragile. He is reluctant to adapt

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
I think this question is a bit chicken and the egg. Sometimes if a manager is doing very poorly they end up throwing players under the bus.

The question is has anyone done such a poor job with his last four clubs as Mourinho has done. Obviously not. The fact clubs near the top half of any big league is hiring him is madness.

Zen86

Shev was Abramovitch’s signing through and through.
True, and Mourinho would state as much at every opportunity. He’s always been a shithouse when things don’t go his way, it’s just that things don’t go his way very often anymore.

POF

When Mourinho was younger he had fanatical passion and carried his players with him in almost cult like fashion. At Chelsea, those players would run through walls for him.

Now you look at him and he just comes across as jaded and lacking passion. He's still tactically astute but doesn't have the passion and drive to inspire players like he had previously. It's what made him the manager he was and he doesn't have it anymore.

Whereas previously he saw players as the loyal followers carrying out his perfect tactical plan, now he sees them as a weak link and the only reason his genius tactics don't work.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Worst in history for throwing players under the bus?

It's so cliche, it's a given meme with him the moment he is appointed *anywhere*.

Can't think of another manager or coach who comes close, now or in the past, can you?

What damage is he doing to his legacy with his latter day shithousery?
The CAF has a lot of managers (or at least you'd think they are the way they speak), do they count?

PoTMS

It's just a shame he wasn't doing this at Arsenal or Liverpool instead.

Skills

Snitch
I made this post in another thread :

Some managers (Mourinho in particular) overrate their value. Most smart clubs have realised, on average a manager is worthless and the most dispensable part of the set up. One of the reasons Mourinho struggles is, because he just doesn't know his place in modern football.
I think most coaches in football, are aware of their place in a football club so don't risk doing this. Mourinho still thinks he's the biggest star at any football club he goes to - when in reality he's got a net negative value, and his 'subordinates' are the ones actually worth £100m.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Personally, id like to see more managers openly question the attitude and work ethic of players in public. There's this weird dynamic where fans and supporters are more than happy to berate and criticize their own players, but get weirdly upset when the manager echoes those sentiments.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
I think this question is a bit chicken and the egg. Sometimes if a manager is doing very poorly they end up throwing players under the bus.

The question is has anyone done such a poor job with his last four clubs as Mourinho has done. Obviously not. The fact clubs near the top half of any big league is hiring him is madness.
He has won two league titles and some other trophies with his last four clubs.

He’s fallen below his own very lofty standards, and I do think the game has left him behind, but to suggest that he’s one of the worst managers going based on his past four jobs just isn’t accurate in my opinion.

Skills

Snitch
Does it ever work?

Has any player he's publicly shit on ever turned things round?
No, but that's not his intention though. It's all about protecting Mourinho and finding an easy target to turn the attention to.

Skills

Snitch
He has won two league titles and some other trophies with his last four clubs.

He’s fallen below his own very lofty standards, and I do think the game has left him behind, but to suggest that he’s one of the worst managers going based on his past four jobs just isn’t accurate in my opinion.
In terms of value for money, he's easily one of the worst managers around. He's still earning the salary of one of the top 3-4 coaches in the world, but doesn't add anywhere near that kind of value.

Neil_Buchanan

Cock'd
He used to remind me of Fergie the way he'd draw all negative attention away from his players- blaming referees, picking fights with opposition managers, creating headlines. Now it's the complete opposite, his eagerness to throw players under the bus has become unparalleled.

Brophs

The One and Only
In terms of value for money, he's easily one of the worst managers around. He's still earning the salary of one of the top 3-4 coaches in the world, but doesn't add anywhere near that kind of value.
As a complete aside, it could be argued that we’ve found ourselves on the wrong end of three of the worst instances of overpaying relative to current ability in recent history: Mourinho, Sanchez and now, possibly, DDG. It’s not a great look.

Djemba-Djemba

No, but that's not his intention though. It's all about protecting Mourinho and finding an easy target to turn the attention to.
Oh yeah of course.

I just know his loyal cult followers will try and defend it by saying it's a way to motivate the player but I can't remember it ever working anyway.

Another Mourinho thing I like is when he will praise how a different club is run in a blatant veiled dig at his current club. So last week he praised how well Wolves recruit players and how they all fit the right standard right before moaning about how unbalanced the Spurs squad is . He's so passive aggressive.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
His work at RM was good if you consider he was up against one of the best sides ever.

He won the league back at Chelsea and then it obviously went tits up, but a league is still a league.

He’s our best manager since Ferguson, won trophies and got us up to second but then bizarrely was not backed the Summer after being given a contract extension.

Spurs is not going great but he’s still in with a fighting chance this season and probably deserves a full Summer to mould his team for judgement next season.

I’m not a massive Mourinho fan any more and can see that he’s past his sell by date, but he still has an enviable record at his last four clubs when you look at his CV.

More fashionable managers get plaudits during the same period despite winning less.

In any case, I’m glad he’s at Spurs creating misery now.

Skills

Snitch
As a complete aside, it could be argued that we’ve found ourselves on the wrong end of three of the worst instances of overpaying relative to current ability in recent history: Mourinho, Sanchez and now, possibly, DDG. It’s not a great look.
You can add Rooney to the list too (after Moyes renewed his contract).

Djemba-Djemba

Don't forget Rooney.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Did he ever do this at Porto or his first Chelsea spell?

IrishMcD

Steven Gerrard seems to be a fan of deflecting all the blame off himself and onto his players by throwing them under the bus after every game that doesn't go to plan. It's beautiful viewing.

Skills

Snitch
Steven Gerrard seems to be a fan of deflecting all the blame off himself and onto his players by throwing them under the bus after every game that doesn't go to plan. It's beautiful viewing.
There's a reason he was called Stevie Me in his playing days. Leopards never change their spots.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Failures bring the worst out of people.

Klopp blamed wind. If Liverpool didn't improve as much as They did and are still fighting for top 4, I bet Klopp would have come out with more ridiculous stuffs that you think He's mental. If He's had as much as failures as Jose in the past 4-5 years, I think He will be worse than Jose.

Zlatattack

He's been used to playing with mentally tough players and more importantly huge talented squads. The pressure of getting a first team place often did a lot of motivating for him.

When he's not had that, he's not been successful.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Spurs hired him for the same reason we did. Fear and desperation. It almost never works. You can't hire someone that is the antithesis of your culture. Sad part for Spurs is the lack of a short term gain.
I cab hear some Spurs fans saying give him what he wants and they will be better. In the end, they will find out it isn't worth it.

Inigo Montoya

When Mourinho was younger he had fanatical passion and carried his players with him in almost cult like fashion. At Chelsea, those players would run through walls for him.

Now you look at him and he just comes across as jaded and lacking passion. He's still tactically astute but doesn't have the passion and drive to inspire players like he had previously. It's what made him the manager he was and he doesn't have it anymore.

Whereas previously he saw players as the loyal followers carrying out his perfect tactical plan, now he sees them as a weak link and the only reason his genius tactics don't work.
But he also had shithouses like Cole,Terry, Carvahlo,Drogba,Robben who could bend the rules to win.
Now when it appears he only has one or two like that, he can’t cope with having to motivate or as he’s paid to....simply coach