Mousa Dembele

Scarecrow

Having a week off
Don't even remember he played for Fulham, didn't he played at AZ Alkmaar with LVG before that?

Really impressed me today, don't know if it was his normal standard of the season so far.
He had one game with them where he walked all over us and the Caf was obsessed with him for about a week afterwards. Granted, pretty much all discussion at the time was revolving around us not having a midfield for the past few years, so it wasn't hard to impress. He did have a monster game though.

slored1

He's fantastic. Really good. What a great combination of strength, skills and composure. Belgium really do have some brilliant players and a partnership in midfield of Dembele and KDB could be devastating.

goons

Supports
Arsenal
He's a fantastic player. I've seen class performances from him for a long time now but he haven't been doing it constantly enough to be really considered world class. But lately he seems to be doing just that. Incredible form and not many better players then him at his position in the world right now.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
He had one game with them where he walked all over us and the Caf was obsessed with him for about a week afterwards. Granted, pretty much all discussion at the time was revolving around us not having a midfield for the past few years, so it wasn't hard to impress. He did have a monster game though.
It was Roy Hodgson their manager? When they went to the Europa League final I think? So many football and teams, hard to remember everything :D

El Jefe

Or maybe sometimes it takes years to identify the proper position for a player. Schweinsteiger moved from winger to CM, doesn't mean we can expect every talented winger to make it as CM with dedication and mentality.

Everything is about making most of your abilities. Demeble the striker who was poor goal scorer but fantastic dribbler was moved to his proper position bit late in his career.

Edit: He is fantastic though, wanted him when he was at Fulham and played so well against us.
I think you missed the point I was making a little, it was actually quite similar to yours.

Yes, Dembele with hindsight is probably a better fit for this role now but it was a total change for him at the time and he bought into the whole idea. His dribbling, strength and ball circulation were traits he had but he had to learn the other side of the game just like Basti. I guess that's where my criticism of Pogba is, he's only buying into the parts of the role he likes. tracking runners and covering ground might be an ugly job but it has to be done.

Draconifire

Supports
FC Barcelona
This is the first time I have seen him play. Take that with a grain of salt.
But he's the closest I have seen anyone emulate Busquets. I was impressed. He will probably be one of the best midfielders in coming years.

Swift Football

I'm not too sure. Fulham was where Spurs bought him from and even then he stood out. He'd have been the perfect partner for prime Carrick.

As for if this is his standard, I rarely ever see him have a bad game. One of the best midfielders in the league for me and is what Pogba should aspire to be like.

I agree - his end product is the only thing he's lacking.
i have followed him closely since his fulham days. I remember some pundits discussing back then that he is similar to Rooney!
He is good with the ball, and can go past players but at a position he plays, I will rather have him pass safely. His obvious weakness is passing, i have seen too many times, he choose to go past player rather than just to make a simple pass. Also, he tends to foul needlessly. I will rather have Wanyama or Eriksen than him.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Was he injured earlier in the season when Winks was starting in Spurs' midfield?

DannyCAFC

Supports
Charlton Athletic
But he's the closest I have seen anyone emulate Busquets. I was impressed. He will probably be one of the best midfielders in coming years.
He's 30.

Also not particularly like Busquets, other than his ball-retention.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Dont overreact, and he is 30 years old.

Irish Jet

Supports
Anyone but Rashford
Still find it ridiculous that we didn't sign in 2011 or 2012. Used to tear us a new asshole every time we played Fulham and his talent was always so obvious. I remember he was ridiculed in the press back then when he said he was hoping to play for Real Madrid - He was that good along.

Always rated him. His end product has always been poor but when you play him deeper he can just run the game.

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
MOTM against pool as well.

He doesn't lose the ball and can carry it forward too. Doesn't have great passing range but you don' need to when you can dribble that well.

BarcaSpurs

At his best he is an incredible player, some of our fans (me included) thought he was past his best this season but suddenly in the last month he's stepped up to the highest level he's ever played at. The biggest criticism of him has always been that he has no eye for a pass and dwells on the ball too much, but suddenly the tempo of his passing has increased dramatically and he's playing brilliant passes between the lines.
In our run of tough matches, Pool and Juve away, United and Arsenal at home, pretty certain he's been our MOTM in each one of them.

Primativ

Supports
Tottenham
His ball retention, close control, skill, strength and touch are so far beyond of his competition it's a joke. He's taken a while to announce himself on the biggest stage, because even though he has dominated in the PL, the CL is something new. Tonight however, he showed, he has the ability to dominate even the elite teams in the CL. Pjanic was bossed.

NW10

Supports
Arsenal
One of my favourite players and I notice even in this thread that he is underrated defensively too.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
At his best he is an incredible player, some of our fans (me included) thought he was past his best this season but suddenly in the last month he's stepped up to the highest level he's ever played at. The biggest criticism of him has always been that he has no eye for a pass and dwells on the ball too much, but suddenly the tempo of his passing has increased dramatically and he's playing brilliant passes between the lines.
In our run of tough matches, Pool and Juve away, United and Arsenal at home, pretty certain he's been our MOTM in each one of them.
I thought he might have peaked early on this season, but it is nice to see him back at his best. Lovely player.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
He’s honestly 10 times the player Pogba is at the moment with about a tenth of the talent. We don’t have anyone who plays with such determination. Hence why we struggle in big games while Spurs excel.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
Still remember we were really in for him during the Fergie days. Refused to spend around 10m on him.

GE

Negative Moaning Mentalist
I was gutted when we just sit and let him leave Fulham for Spurs, a few days after putting on an impressive display at Old Trafford if I remember correctly.

The way he glides past players is unbelievable and he strength is out of this world.

I’ve heard quite a few current and ex Spurs players state that he’s the best player at their club and a nightmare to face in training.

NoPace

I've sort of always thought that, but when you consider that he's relatively new to being so deep in terms of his overall career as a footballer, it's not that crazy to think he just needed a few years to start playing those sorts of passes. Especially in a country that hasn't produced anyone who knows how to play them who's between the ages of 23 and 36 (Stones and Carrick).

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
He’s honestly 10 times the player Pogba is at the moment with about a tenth of the talent. We don’t have anyone who plays with such determination. Hence why we struggle in big games while Spurs excel.
You think Pogba has 10 times more talent than Dembele? :rolleyes: The latter has a lot more to his locker than just determination you know.

IAmAWinner

An absolute joy to watch tonight. Dominated the midfield against the best team in Serie A.
Should have signed him in 2012, shat on us twice in the space of a month with Fulham and then with Spurs.
Believe he started out as a striker first, then moved into midfield, same as McTominay, so maybe he could turn out a similar player like Dembele. ;) wishful thinking I know.

KanieKaned

Not without his faults but feck me he does a fantastic job. Always liked him when he was at Fulham and he made the transition from a forward to midfield. He would would be great in a 3 alongside Matic and Pogba in terms of what he offers but that ships well sailed given he is 30 now.

kr0nix

You think Pogba has 10 times more talent than Dembele? :rolleyes: The latter has a lot more to his locker than just determination you know.
Pogba has a wider range of talents than Dembele, especially in an offensive capacity. In fact, in a parallel universe, those two could have made quite the formidable partnership with a no. 6 behind them.
Additionally, Dembele's intensity and determination is common to all Spurs players, not just Dembele. If Pogba were playing under Poch I expect he'd have to show a similar level of intensity as well to get in the side. That would allow him to showcase his more unique talents, something that he hasn't been able to show on a consistent enough basis at United. That failure is on Mourinho.

tomaldinho1

He's always player's player when they do interviews. Guy's a beast and decent enough on the ball as well. My fave oppo player in the PL

jem

Yeah it's a ridiculous exaggeration. However, I do think Pogba has the skills to develop the kind of game Dembele has shown, particularly the ball retention, gliding through the midfield part (not so much the defensive aspect.)

Swift Football

Just the 94% passing completion tonight.
Of course, he was fantastic tonight, and against us 2 weeks back.
But, his passing is still poor. He attempts to go pass players when a pass is the obvious option. Basically, he overlook those passes which is not a good thing for a player playing at the center.

Sunspear17

Supports
Chelsea
Gotta give it to Spurs, the club really do buy well. While everybody else is throwing 50-60m at players, they quietly go about their business and actually buy quality. Aurier and Moura for the same price most are buying one player for. As well as giving chances to talented young English talent, they seem to be doing everything right the last few years.

kr0nix

Gotta give it to Spurs, the club really do buy well. While everybody else is throwing 50-60m at players, they quietly go about their business and actually buy quality. Aurier and Moura for the same price most are buying one player for. As well as giving chances to talented young English talent, they seem to be doing everything right the last few years.
Aurier isn't all that IMO and it's hard to say how well Moura will settle in England. But you are correct, they have made a lot of successful signings over the last few years, starting with Poch.

RooneyLegend

He's a established a decent and effective passing game. He obviously can't pass it here, there and everywhere like the Pogba's and KDB's of this world but what he can do is pass it between the lines whenever he wants cause he's got so much ability that even when the passing lane is blocked, he'll shift the ball around and open it up. One of the biggest underachievers in recent years probably due to bad development. How he can't shoot or pass with any conviction is a mystery for one with his obscene level of technical ability. Juve midfielders, like the midfielders of other big teams spurs have faced in this past little while literally had no answers for him. By having him, Spurs are almost guaranteed to play well.

DdeGoat

Annoyingly efficient and well run club. Got a lot of admiration for them.

Finding excellent players at good prices - check
Giving their academy players a chance - check
Getting the maximum for the outbound players - check
Getting their biggest assests signed on long term contracts - check
Appointing an excellent manager at the right time - check
Quality of football - check
Building a bigger and modern new stadium while keeping their position in the league - check

They are going to be a force to be reckoned with going forward. The new stadium will help them open new revenue streams and their quality of football will attract more new fans around the world. I can see them taking over Arsenal's place in the league and status around the world in the next 5 years.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
One of my favourite midfielders in the world - oozes talent but doesn't realise how good he could be. Brilliant performance.

Karel Podolsky

Supports
Ex Laziale
Not 100% sure, but I think Dembele played a lot of street football growing up so he didn't shoot on real goals or play long balls on a big pitch, would make sense if true.

Quote: KdB has revealed his dream five-a-side team, and says his fellow Belgian midfielder (Dembele) is the ‘best five-a-side player in the world.’

Last edited:

CallyRed

I don't think I've ever seen him pushed off the ball, the guy is so strong.
I bet most centre mids hate playing against him.

It's just a shame he has been plagued with so many Injuries.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
It's more than just strength, he's very very clever in the way he positions himself between the opponent and the ball so it's virtually impossible to take the ball off without making a foul. That aspect of his game is the most important because strength alone would mean nothing.