Mousa Dembele

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Very very very very impressive DM for a heavy possession-and-pressing team. Really good defensively, great ball winner, fantastic at keeping the ball and breaking the press

Great player

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Fergie said this about Dembele specifically?
Yep I heard him (or a coaching member quote SAF) and speak about him and that is what was said from SAF it made me look and watch and I now notice every game he plays.

Stacks

would be the ideal man between matic and pog
disagree. Pogba needs someone who offers as much as him in an attacking sense. Pjanic would be good shout.

When he is injury free I believe he walks into every side in the world, he’s that good. The past 4 matches (Liverpool, United, Arsenal and Juventus) he could have been man of the match in all 4 (along with Eriksen). Dembele and Eriksen are more important than Kane for us, Kane is my favourite player but we coped well without him last season with Son up top.
He's really not and he really doesn't
Gotta give it to Spurs, the club really do buy well. While everybody else is throwing 50-60m at players, they quietly go about their business and actually buy quality. Aurier and Moura for the same price most are buying one player for. As well as giving chances to talented young English talent, they seem to be doing everything right the last few years.
except challenging or winning major trophies
Annoyingly efficient and well run club. Got a lot of admiration for them.

Finding excellent players at good prices - check
Giving their academy players a chance - check
Getting the maximum for the outbound players - check
Getting their biggest assests signed on long term contracts - check
Appointing an excellent manager at the right time - check
Quality of football - check
Building a bigger and modern new stadium while keeping their position in the league - check

They are going to be a force to be reckoned with going forward. The new stadium will help them open new revenue streams and their quality of football will attract more new fans around the world. I can see them taking over Arsenal's place in the league and status around the world in the next 5 years.
so excellent their players cannot deliver silverware - check

Alderwereid, Dembele, Eriksen, Son, Vertongen Lamela all out of contract by 2020 - check
Arsenal had won titles and made CL finals to get this status

A midfielder like him is what we should be looking for to partner Pogba and Matic.
Nope, we need someone who can score and create as well as Pogba, to partner Pogba.

Flaming ell', not all players (midfielders, forwards etc) are the same. Gerrard and Lampard were different players in many ways.

Dembele is a terrific player, I recall him dominating a game at OT whilst at Fulham a few seasons back. He was the main reason Tottenham turned the game around yesterday... he allowed Erikson to find those areas to pick those killer passes from (not sure what Buffong was doing for the second goal...).

Dembele has all the talent to play for any of the top sides, as he now does of course. Seems like he is hitting some consistency, which is what he has been accused of lacking.

That Tottenham side is pretty, pretty impressive. Think they will get better too.
Nope. top sides need more than a powerful dribbler in CM

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
disagree. Pogba needs someone who offers as much as him in an attacking sense. Pjanic would be good shout.
Pogba in a 3 needs some one who will offer more than him in a defensive sense on the opposite side of the DM. I wish we'd target a player like Pjanjic or Milinko Savic

Nope, we need someone who can score and create as well as Pogba, to partner Pogba.
In an ideal world yes. But
Not necessarily. Give us a world class right side attacking player and a dembele type in midfield and you have the platform to unleash the full attacking potential of Pogba and the front 3. Whilst always retain total midfield control.

Stacks

Pogba in a 3 needs some one who will offer more than him in a defensive sense on the opposite side of the DM. I wish we'd target a player like Pjanjic or Milinko Savic

In an ideal world yes. But
Not necessarily. Give us a world class right side attacking player and a dembele type in midfield and you have the platform to unleash the full attacking potential of Pogba and the front 3. Whilst always retain total midfield control.
I can live with that to a degree. But then we are relying on Pogba to provide all the service still and he will go missing at time. Currently we have Sanchez who is world class, and if we don't get the ball to him. it doesn't make a difference. Dembele cannot carry the load for when Pogba drops off his form.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
I can live with that to a degree. But then we are relying on Pogba to provide all the service still and he will go missing at time. Currently we have Sanchez who is world class, and if we don't get the ball to him. it doesn't make a difference. Dembele cannot carry the load for when Pogba drops off his form.
True. Id happily instead go for a player who could do what Dembele does but with goals and assists. Basically a young Yaya Toure. Or alternatively we finally give Pereira a chance to be our Modric.

Last edited:

RedStarUnited

Said this before on here. Great press resistance but needs someone that can play between the lines next to him. Essentially a stronger Modric. Both allergic to through balls.
What midfielder doesn't need another midfielder who can do something he cant? And Dembele plays fine enough balls through the lines.

gibers

What midfielder doesn't need another midfielder who can do something he cant? And Dembele plays fine enough balls through the lines.
Not under extreme pressure. He plays the ball to the flnaks or does a side pass most of the time.

You're right though. Would be great next to a player like Pogba and in front of Matic.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
Not under extreme pressure. He plays the ball to the flnaks or does a side pass most of the time.

You're right though. Would be great next to a player like Pogba and in front of Matic.
Actually, most of the time he turns 180 degrees, wriggles free and drives forward with the ball, causing panic in the opposition and pulling their midfield and defence out of shape ... which is when the likes of Eriksen or Alli or Son or Kane get space and time.

On the downside, he does occasionally get caught on the ball and loses it in a dangerous position, but not often.

gibers

Actually, most of the time he turns 180 degrees, wriggles free and drives forward with the ball, causing panic in the opposition and pulling their midfield and defence out of shape ... which is when the likes of Eriksen or Alli or Son or Kane get space and time.
I'm talking about whne the lines are really tight. For example he obviously isn't as good as passing between the lines as Eriksen but he is far more press resistant. I get your point though he is still an excellent player.

Honestly the balance of your mf when fit is only matched by City's in the league.

Stormsurfer21

Don't have time to watch Spurs a lot but for me today he was the best player for them, and to think Martinez still has De Bruyne and others to choose for the WC.
Yes, Dembele instead of Witsel. With Nainggolan (if he gets called up for the WC) in a slightly more advanced role and De Bruyne as a real 8 would be the best possible midfield for Belgium. Witsel is a bang average player. The sooner Martinez realises that, the better.

DdeGoat

so excellent their players cannot deliver silverware - check

Alderwereid, Dembele, Eriksen, Son, Vertongen Lamela all out of contract by 2020 - check
Arsenal had won titles and made CL finals to get this status
No one besides "internet debaters" care so deeply about mickey mouse cups. In fact at this club we used to make fun of mickey mouse trebles or as such. It is not easy for a club of Spurs size and current stature to win the two trophies that really matter. Still they have been in the hunt for at least one each season, which is an achievement in itself.

Lamela is not an important player. 2020 is still 2 seasons away and leaves plenty of time to renew those contracts. It's not like Arsenal where players are threatening to leave on a free every season.

That is why I said in years to come, not now.

Stacks

No one besides "internet debaters" care so deeply about mickey mouse cups. In fact at this club we used to make fun of mickey mouse trebles or as such. It is not easy for a club of Spurs size and current stature to win the two trophies that really matter. Still they have been in the hunt for at least one each season, which is an achievement in itself.

Lamela is not an important player. 2020 is still 2 seasons away and leaves plenty of time to renew those contracts. It's not like Arsenal where players are threatening to leave on a free every season.

Well I say! What's mickey mouse to a club that has won a carling cup in 2008, 1999 (2 minor trophies in 20 years)? If United had won virtually nothing, I would very much like to see our players celebrate at least something!!! you know, lift a big shiny cup, all smiles, dancing around, popping champagne, bringing their kids onto the pitch and stuff. Its more for them and the pleasure I get in seeing them happy, but also establish a habit of winning. If its so hard for Spurs to win the CL and EPL then perhaps they need to start building a winning mentality with the Caraboa and FA Cup? I mean Jose went straight for the Carling Cup when he came to Chelsea as it got his players used to winning. Even Liverpool players had won most the other cups before the CL win. Walk before running.

Empathy 2020

Supports
Most
He reminds me of Yaya Toure at Yays's best, but without the goals.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout

If no one beside Internet debaters care about cups then why do fans make long trips to Wembley to watch cup finals?

Trizy

Definitively underrated. Also potential to be a lunatic, though.

van der star

newprawn warrior
Scout
He's come a long way from his winger days at Fulham. It's a shame that his contributions have been limited due to injuries, I'm sure he would have gotten more plaudits if he had played consistently over the last few seasons.

twitter thread suggester
Good thing he is nearing 31, should start to decline in a few years.

haram

Was a good player at Fulham, I remember wanting us to sign him :lol:, think we were actually linked a bit as well. Credit to Poch and Spurs for turning him into a top CM.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Was a good player at Fulham, I remember wanting us to sign him :lol:, think we were actually linked a bit as well. Credit to Poch and Spurs for turning him into a top CM.
It was right after the game where he bullied our midfield. Half here wanted to sign him the other high said he was shit.

izec

The most underrated player in the PL. He is a beast and an absolute freak. Someone so strong and yet so elegant. Makes football look easy

Carlsen19

Don't listen to my lies RE: Lineups
I wouldn’t say he’s underrated. Most people know he’s quality but his end product is shite and he’s very injury prone therefore nowhere near consistent enough.

Mastadon

Supports
Arsenal
Wanted him at Arsenal when he was still at Fulham but got the usual Denilson, Diaby and Song are better. Clueless bunch there Dembele is better than all 3 put together.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
"Dembele is the only player to rank among the top 20 players in the Premier League for both tackles and dribbles over the past three seasons.

It is not just the volume. He is better at it, too. Of midfielders to have attempted 40 or more dribbles this season, Dembele has the best success rate of 88 per cent.

When Dembele has faced up his marker and beaten the press, he can pick out passes better than the rest, too. His pass completion rate in the opposition half is superior to that of any other midfielder in the Premier League. He is the only midfield regular to have found a team-mate with more than 90 per cent of such passes this season."

https://www.premierleague.com/news/625564

kr0nix

"Dembele is the only player to rank among the top 20 players in the Premier League for both tackles and dribbles over the past three seasons.

It is not just the volume. He is better at it, too. Of midfielders to have attempted 40 or more dribbles this season, Dembele has the best success rate of 88 per cent.

When Dembele has faced up his marker and beaten the press, he can pick out passes better than the rest, too. His pass completion rate in the opposition half is superior to that of any other midfielder in the Premier League. He is the only midfield regular to have found a team-mate with more than 90 per cent of such passes this season."

https://www.premierleague.com/news/625564
Matic is third on that list with a dribbling success rate of 79%, which would lead you towards a very different impression of the player if you didn't happen to watch him regularly.

Jamie L

Supports
Liverpool
Although it was pretty good watching him clean up Ramos.
I don’t believe that he’s really underrated, I think most people can see what a top class midfielder he is. It’s more that he’s thought of as almost a luxury player because of his recent injury record. Excellent ‘modern’ midfielder.

Aboutreika18

I think many players would be in the same position. Thing is Dembele is NEVER 100% fit, its amazing he is still performing at the level he is.
Aye, Dembele himself said he'll never be 100% fit again because of his long standing injuries.

It reminds me a bit of Ledley King and how you guys had to carefully manage his workload to prevent him getting injured, although his situation was more serious as he couldn't train.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Aye, Dembele himself said he'll never be 100% fit again because of his long standing injuries.

It reminds me a bit of Ledley King and how you guys had to carefully manage his workload to prevent him getting injured, although his situation was more serious as he couldn't train.
Pretty much, thankfully he seems to be coming back into good fitness and form just at the right time for us.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
It was right after the game where he bullied our midfield. Half here wanted to sign him the other high said he was shit.
Thanks. I keep seeing this thread bumped and get a blast from the past remembering how I wanted him while still at Fulham... but couldn't for the life of me work out why I had ever "spotted" a talent at a club I never watch.

Makes sense now.

Craig Ward

He's always controlled the midfield well. Can drive on from Midfield and has a brilliant left foot.

He goes a bit unnoticed, but he really is top drawer.

Shame injuries have hampered him so much over the years. Imagine if he'd stayed fully fit season after season. One of the best CM's in the leage for me