Film Movies that you've never seen...

ExoduS

I couldn't never finish Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. Load of garbage that bunch of my friends like. Tried it few times over 15 year period and just can't finish it.

Scandi Red

Hates Music.
It's a hassle to watch films that haven't aged well for various reasons. Some you have to watch as a kid to fully enjoy and some have been spoofed to death. I can't imagine a functioning adult putting on a Star Wars film for the first time and having a blast.

Here's a list of big titles that either haven't watched or can't remember much from.

Can only remember a few scenes:
- The Godfather
- The Godfather 2
- Schindler's List
- Taxi Driver
- Back To The Future

Not seen:
- Blade Runner
- Robocop
- Goonies
- Lawrence Of Arabia
- Casablanca
- Some Like It Hot
- Sunset Boulevard
- Seven Samurai

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
It's a hassle to watch films that haven't aged well for various reasons. Some you have to watch as a kid to fully enjoy and some have been spoofed to death. I can't imagine a functioning adult putting on a Star Wars film for the first time and having a blast.

Here's a list of big titles that either haven't watched or can't remember much from.

Can only remember a few scenes:
- The Godfather
- The Godfather 2
- Schindler's List
- Taxi Driver
- Back To The Future

Not seen:
- Blade Runner
- Robocop
- Goonies
- Lawrence Of Arabia
- Casablanca
- Some Like It Hot
- Sunset Boulevard
- Seven Samurai
The original three Star Wars are quite good. The rest are absolute shit.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Are they, though? Cool universe, soundtrack and Leia in the gold bikini aside?
They are. I first saw them in my youth & have rewatched them a couple of times in my adulthood.

That said, I've walked out of the two Star Wars I tried to see as an adult in a theater (can't remember which ones) & the only Marvel movie I went to see (Avengers: End whatever, I think). Awful, awful drek.

Drawfull

They are. I first saw them in my youth & have rewatched them a couple of times in my adulthood.

That said, I've walked out of the two Star Wars I tried to see as an adult in a theater (can't remember which ones) & the only Marvel movie I went to see (Avengers: End whatever, I think). Awful, awful drek.
Empire Strikes Back is normally considered the best, but I prefer the OG. I don't mind the last three :nervous:

I loved Endgame, but you a: have to like Marvel and b: really need to watch at least several of the earlier movies (and obviously its immediate prequel, Infinity War) for it to hit otherwise it's a bit of a mess.

Scarecrow

Having a week off
Not one Harry Potter film
Not one Lord of the Rings film
Not one Marvel film

Why? Because I’m an adult.
LOTR is not at all comparable to those, in terms of quality. It’s widely recognized as a landmark in filmmaking.

Drainy

I was super close a few weeks ago but my wife vetoed it.

Grounds for divorce?
Not really. I love the film personally, but it's slow and moody so can imagine its not everyone's cup of tea.

I actually do think the sequel is a better film overall, but the first one is a classic with some great memorable lines.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
But you like Star Wars, which is practically just a long toy commercial with dialogue that sounds like it was written by a 10 year old.
I like the OG Star Wars, not the 'modern' ones.

Perhaps it is a twinge of childhood nostalgia that keeps liking the original three SWs, but I also enjoyed the Cold War plot line in them, having grown up during the time. I would have no issue rewatching those three tonight.

The first three were also extremely limited re: any CGI, etc. which speaks to me. It was when SW became CGI dominant is when I couldn't stand the half of the movie I suffered through back in 98 or 99.

e - gonna have to rewatch 4, 5, & 6 now that I missed some other historical plot lines...

https://www.history.com/news/the-real-history-that-inspired-star-wars

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
But you like Star Wars, which is practically just a long toy commercial with dialogue that sounds like it was written by a 10 year old.
If you were not a kid in the late 70s and early 80s it's probably impossible to really the understand the impact the original SW trilogy had. It completely changed filmmaking in a way that no other big budget special effects could possibly do since because SW created that space for film and ILM was the industry FX leader long before CGI.

Sure the story is a little basic, some Joseph Campbell hero's journey stuff tinted by Kurosawa Hidden Fortress influence but the end result completely changed the way filmmakers looked at what was possible.

The toys only came later really and people forget the movies success basically created a new surge in marketing toys. A New Hope was never made expecting it to sell toys the way it did. The OT wasn't made as a "toy commercial", rather the success of the OT spawned the entire toy phenomenon which defined a generation, completely different with video games being the big thing now not action figures. I'm sure it's hard for younger generations to really get it the way those of us that lived through it do.

Last edited:

choiboyx012

Carrick>Hargreaves
I’ve seen bits and parts, but never sat through the whole thing for:

star wars
Harry Potter
LOTR
Ferris buellers day off
Back to the future
Blade runner
Most superhero/marvel/DC

i grew up in the 90’s so never got into the 80s classics, and i always felt i was too mature for fantasy/scifi shit like star wars and LOTR.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Quite a few people never seen back to the future. I’d of thought everyone’s seen that one.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
Going by S+S's recent top 100 list:
  1. Jeanne Dielman, 23 quai du Commerce, 1080 Bruxelles (1975)
  2. Singin’ in the Rain (1952)
  3. Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans (1927)
  4. The Searchers (1956)
  5. The Night of the Hunter (1955)
  6. Shoah (1985)
  7. Daisies (1966)
  8. Portrait of a Lady on Fire (L.O.L)
  9. Panther Panchali (1955)
  10. City Lights (1931)
  11. Some Like It Hot (1959)
  12. Killer of Sheep (1978)
  13. Barry Lyndon (1975)
  14. Wanda (1970)
  15. The Piano (1993)
  16. Ali: Fear Eats the Soul (1974)
  17. News From Home (1977)
  18. Sherlock Jr. (1924)
  19. Daughters of the Dust (1991)
  20. The Red Shoes (1948)
  21. The Gleaners and I (2000)
  22. Journey to Italy (1954)
  23. Imitation of Life (1959)
  24. Sátántangó (1994)
  25. Modern Times (1936)
  26. A Matter of Life and Death (1946)
  27. The Spirit of the Beehive (1973)
  28. The Leopard (1963)
  29. Once Upon a Time in the West (1968)
  30. Tropical Malady (2004)
  31. Black Girl (1966)
  32. The General (1926)
  33. Get Out (2017)
Bold are the only ones I'd consider watching.
If you're going to watch films from that list why not Portrait of a Lady on Fire? I enjoyed it more than some of your bolded ones myself.

Although when we saw it in theatre, my wife said it reminded her of an older art house film but now, when I ask, she can't remember which one at all.

Scarecrow

Having a week off
I'm an adult. Will never watch.
That statement gives off a rather petulant vibe, ironically. :lol:

I think it's a mistake, but I won't try to convince you.

To answer the thread, here's the top 10 of my IMDB Watchlist, sorted by rating:
- The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
- One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
- The Silence of the Lambs
- Life is Beautiful
- City of God
- Seven Samurai
- Psycho
- Once Upon a Time in the West
- Grave of the Fireflies
- Rear Window

Last edited:

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
That statement gives off a rather petulant vibe, ironically. :lol:

I think it's a mistake, but I won't try to convince you.

To answer the thread, here's the top 10 of my IMDB Watchlist*, sorted by rating:
- The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
- One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
- The Silence of the Lambs
- Life is Beautiful
- City of God
- Seven Samurai
- Psycho
- Once Upon a Time in the West
- Grave of the Fireflies
- Rear Window

*I've omitted some Bulgarian films, as they likely won't be of interest to anybody here.
Now some of these I can get behind.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
I am waiting for suspicion and spellbound by Hitchcock to be available to rent some day.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
LOTR is far less for kids than Star Wars.

Scandi Red

Hates Music.
LOTR is far less for kids than Star Wars.
Definitely. I can't think of a single thing that makes LOTR more childish than Star Wars.

I grew up with LOTR, Star Wars, Harry Potter, Pirates of the Caribbean and a bunch of superhero films(including Nolan's Batman films). The only films in this group that still holds up for me are the LOTR films. I can enjoy Star Wars for the sake of nostalgia, but I feel the same way about them as I do with films like The Lion King and Hook.

King Eric 7

There's whole genres of films I don't watch. Sci-fi in particular. I'm glad I'm not the only one who could barely name a couple of characters from Star Wars. I did watch Harry Potter eventually about a year ago. I might bring myself to watch the second one but I'm not that bothered, although we will end up doing the studio tour at some point which is why I watched the first one.

Just looked at IMDb's top 50 war films and haven't seen a single one. I just don't like committing myself to the big screen for a couple of hours unless something really takes my interest, which is rare.

Scarecrow

Having a week off
Is Star Wars considered sci-fi? I guess so because of the setting but not much else.

madzo2007

All the Harry Potters
Lord of the Rings except 2nd one - talking trees in the 2nd one was enough to put me off.
Hunger Games
Twilight Series
Goodfellas (seen bits never start to finish)

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
All the Harry Potters
Lord of the Rings except 2nd one - talking trees in the 2nd one was enough to put me off.
Hunger Games
Twilight Series
Goodfellas (seen bits never start to finish)

GueRed

First one is very good. Definitely worth a watch.

The Thin Red Line definitely isn't a war movie in the traditional sense. It's a drama movie about the dualities of man set in the midst of the battle of Guadalcanal.

How good that sounds will probably tell you how much you'll enjoy it.
Ok I see

It's directed by the same director of The New World which was a visually appealing movie so i'm expecting more of the same at least..

Big Andy

Bloke
Never seen any of the Godfather films. Too late now I reckon. Just don't grab me at all.

stevoc

I've never watched a Mission Impossible movie or a Harry Potter movie.

Never seen any James bond, star wars or lord of the rings and no intention of sitting through any of them really.
Think I've only ever sat through one James Bond film one of the Danial Craig ones, possibly Skyfall. Star Wars though I loved them as a kid only Empire strikes back is an actual good movie, there's way more crap ones than decent ones. But you are missing out with Lord of the Rings.