g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Moving the goals in football

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
The opening poster doesn't go far enough.

The ball should never be dead unless it literally leaves the stadium.

This would really give new meaning to home advantage. Your fans throwing it back on to your team, or even just keeping it when you're winning.

The clock never stops either, so imagine the spectacle of a player having to battle someone in the crowd for the ball.

Marvellous.

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC

This would really give new meaning to home advantage. Your fans throwing it back on to your team, or even just keeping it when you're winning.

The clock never stops either, so imagine the spectacle of a player having to battle someone in the crowd for the ball.

Marvellous.
Eric Dier likes this.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
Lets introduce a 10 foot high ceiling. Itll kill long balls and put technical ability to the fore.
Honestly, as I typed that, im wondering why this isnt a coaching tool
It is, for kids anyway. When I played at school in PE and for local kids football clubs in training it was always ‘keep the ball below head height’. If it was higher then the other team would get a free kick.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!

Marvellous.
Sorry, I didn’t give it enough thought, this would be a great idea, could see Diers value sky rocketing if this was brought in

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Before I read the OP, I thought it was going to be about goalposts that constantly move from side to side, like the hoop on those basketball games in the arcade.

Ekkie Thump

Supports
Leeds United
Teams should be allowed two keepers, but they're only allowed to use opposing legs and arms.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
How about managers or coaches also get a whistle and can blow for fouls or VAR check 3 times a match. This would save relying on the referee getting the right call all the time. If they blow for a foul and VAR shows it’s not they lose a challenge

not too much to change to introduce this, just two whistles.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
The game went too far in its demonizing of defense, for that reason I propose the authorization of hunting traps, snares, bear traps and trapping pits.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Teams should be allowed two keepers, but they're only allowed to use opposing legs and arms.
For legs, Hard choice whether to go with DeGea for his shot stopping abilities with his feet or someone with a better distribution.
Not a bad idea

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
The game went too far in its demonizing of defense, for that reason I propose the authorization of hunting traps, snares, bear traps and trapping pits.
Trial it in the euros before it hits the leagues though

Paul_Scholes18

Fans are constantly moving the goalpost for our manager and players. It is only right to move the actual goals too.

Dante

Average bang
I don't agree with the OP. But I do think think the size of a goal should be increased. Its dimensions were set in the 1800s when everybody was much shorter, meaning the length and height of the goal frame isn't fit for purpose in 2020.

The fact that the average game has 2.7 goals means that the sport is too susceptible to being decided by single moments rather than 90 minutes of good play. I don't want Football to go so far that it turns into Basketball, but a balance should be struck. A bigger goal frame which allows for an average of about 5 goals per game would be good.

If you increase the height of the goal by 1 foot and the width by 1 foot on each side, then football would still be football. But it would make it slightly easier to score and slightly harder to keep goal.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
The size of a goal should be increased. Its dimensions were set in the 1800s when everybody was much shorter, meaning the length and height of the goal frame isn't fit for purpose in 2020.

The fact that the average game has 2.7 goals means that the sport is too susceptible to being decided by single moments rather than 90 minutes of good play. I don't want Football to go so far that it turns into Basketball, but a balance should be struck. A bigger goal frame which allows for an average of about 5 goals per game would be good.

If you increase the height of the goal by 1 foot and the width by 1 foot on each side, then football would still be football. But it would make it slightly easier to score and slightly harder to keep goal.
Genuinely good idea. What about pitch size in relation to the goals too, fitter athletes these days cover the ground too easy, harder to defend a bigger pitch

marktan

The managers should have to take the first penalty in a penalty shoot out. Effective leaders shouldn't be afraid of getting down to the dirty and working on the level of their workers.

Dante

Average bang
Genuinely good idea. What about pitch size in relation to the goals too, fitter athletes these days cover the ground too easy, harder to defend a bigger pitch
Bigger pitches would definitely have a similar effect. But I don't think it's feasible. There are thousands of pitches around the world so the sheer cost of changing the size of the playing area and/or buying extra land around stadiums and/or tearing down the stands would be huge (and probably impossible). It might be an interesting experiment to see at a purpose built stadium, though.

But changing the length of the woodwork would be relatively cheap and easy. It could also potentially open up the US market because of increased interest from higher scorelines.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Bigger pitches would definitely have a similar effect. But I don't think it's feasible. There are thousands of pitches around the world so the sheer cost of changing the size of the playing area and/or buying extra land around stadiums and/or tearing down the stands would be huge (and probably impossible). It might be an interesting experiment to see at a purpose built stadium, though.

Changing the length of the woodwork would be relatively easy.
Total oversight on my part there. I’d be happy to stick with changing the goal size as an experiment

I wonder why goalposts have always been white and no team has done a neon green or orange, Maybe written into the rules

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
The managers should have to take the first penalty in a penalty shoot out. Effective leaders shouldn't be afraid of getting down to the dirty and working on the level of their workers.
That would be amazing, maybe the opposing manager would have to be keeper for the manager taking the pen to make it a bit more fair.

some great ideas in this thread that I’d never thought of. The erraticly moving goal posts that could possibly rise for people in the upper tier still my favourite although I think we’re a few decades from that

Monks_United

Have the managers fight it off in the center instead of penalties, if the game is tied. Could even make it a tag team match with the assistants allowed to be tagged in. Melee weapons allowed ofcourse. Would give so much more importance to having tough managers and instantly make Gattuso a must have manager for every team.

Web of Bissaka

I wonder why goalposts have always been white and no team has done a neon green or orange, Maybe written into the rules
Good idea.

Goal posts should be given different colors.This is to help players see it better especially during nightimes, and to make stadium and on screen tv more appealing. Will boost ratings and get more money.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Goal posts should be given rollers.

And sponsorship.
Plastered those sponsorship at the top and side posts.
And make it bigger.
I can see this happening, seriously. I'm surprised they haven't done so already. The wickets have sponsors on in cricket so why not slap a bovril sticker on the crossbar

georgipep

I don't agree with the OP. But I do think think the size of a goal should be increased. Its dimensions were set in the 1800s when everybody was much shorter, meaning the length and height of the goal frame isn't fit for purpose in 2020.

Short keepers will not be happy :D

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
Survival Ball...now we're talking. The game finally bends to Roy Keane's will.

"There's no excuse. He's got to use the crossbow there. By surviving, he's let his team mates down badly."

AaronRedDevil

Utd would get battered if there was every fist fight in the match. Other then Maguire and Lindelof.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
I can see this happening, seriously. I'm surprised they haven't done so already. The wickets have sponsors on in cricket so why not slap a bovril sticker on the crossbar
I’m surprised football hasn’t got a few more adverts placed around like rugby does. The on field painted sponsor angled for the cameras or just behind the byline.
Quite funny in rugby too after they’ve rucked through an advert and get up like they’ve got war paint on, surprised it was allowed

GwilDor

Haha, funniest thread i’ve seen in ages. Plenty of good and/or tongue-in-cheek suggestions :lol:

montpelier

I'd half the size of the goals and allow teams to have 3 goalkeepers.

With most games ending 0-0. There'd be less controversy surrounding poor decision making and no need for VAR.

NoLogo

I would love there to be power ups like in a pinball machine. If you hit the ref with the ball a second ball in introduced into the game for 30 seconds.

To introduce some kind of excitement to the game we could also just make the ball explode randomly.

studs

Well the way VAR is going with it's fancy dimensions football will be played in a glass box, with no corners and throw ins.

Siorac

We should do Football Battle Royale. Every ten minutes the pitch gets smaller; any player who commits a foul or gets caught outside when the pitch size is reduced is removed.

Web of Bissaka

I would love there to be power ups like in a pinball machine. If you hit the ref with the ball a second ball in introduced into the game for 30 seconds.

To introduce some kind of excitement to the game we could also just make the ball explode randomly.
This!
Make it explode. Better tv ratings, adds thrills to fans and added new tactical innovations to the game. Football evolution. The future is now.

The 2nd ball rule,
I guess players would start kicking the balls intentionally to the ref. That rule need adjustment.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
The goals should be constantly moving throughout the game really. Not just backwards and forwards either, they should move in unpredictable and erratic ways, to maximise that big pitch. Ideally they could rise up to 100 feet in the air, to give the people in the top tier of the stadium a chance to see some action up close.
The goals should get 50% wider every 15 minutes. And be made of rubber.
:lol: :lol: :lol: