Moyes So Far!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Man-United

Had a look at the Everton forum. Moyes has gone from hero to the most hated person for the Everton fans. He gave them 11 great years, and him wanting Baines and Fellaini has ruined his relationship with the fans.

Comsmit

The comments are all part of the same strategy, to unsettle the players he is interested in. Of course he wouldn't just sell them for the benefit of their careers...if that was his explanation to the Everton fans he would have been crucified. Personally I don't think he is going about it in the right way, if anything this will make Everton more reluctant to sell. That and offering less than they paid for Fellaini of course which was a real bad start to negotiations. Quickly turning into another transfer train-wreck this one.

NinjaFletch

By the way, these were his quotes when he sold Rodwell to City.

"I had known about it for a while and I thought it was something that was right for Jack and right for Everton," said the Toffees boss.
"It gave Jack an opportunity to go to a really good club and take his chances there.

So exactly the same as what he has said he felt as Everton manager.

What a hypocritical cnut!

Godfather

"I had known about it for a while and I thought it was something that was right for Jack and right for Everton," said the Toffees boss.
"It gave Jack an opportunity to go to a really good club and take his chances there.

Turned out well for him didnt it

acnumber9

The comments are all part of the same strategy, to unsettle the players he is interested in. Of course he wouldn't just sell them for the benefit of their careers...if that was his explanation to the Everton fans he would have been crucified. Personally I don't think he is going about it in the right way, if anything this will make Everton more reluctant to sell. That and offering less than they paid for Fellaini of course which was a real bad start to negotiations. Quickly turning into another transfer train-wreck this one.
Except we didn't offer less than they paid for him. All kinds of wrong here.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Had a look at the Everton forum. Moyes has gone from hero to the most hated person for the Everton fans. He gave them 11 great years, and him wanting Baines and Fellaini has ruined his relationship with the fans.

While I understand their anger, it just goes to show how bloody thick many football fans are; sometimes wilfully so. The potential loss of two players trumps eleven years of over-achievement? I don't bloody think so...

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton

Rodwell was nowhere near one of our best players.

While I understand their anger, it just goes to show how bloody thick many football fans are; sometimes wilfully so. The potential loss of two players trumps eleven years of over-achievement? I don't bloody think so...

Granted, the first years of his reign were scattered with over-achievement but once we became stabled and established in the top half, i wouldn't say we were over-achieving. Since 06-07 our lowest position has been 8th and our highest has been 5th, not much between that and isn't really over-achieving, as we were just stable whereas other clubs like Spurs/Liverpool were making the wrong decisions during that time, with the latter only finally seeming to come to grips with making the right ones.

Yeah, it doesn't trump his 11 years here, but i don't think it is wrong to be aggrieved at Moyes for his comments, or for the bids considering these are our two best players who are crucial to us, and we have no idea how we will fare without either. There were negatives during Moyes tenure too that some fans weren't pleased with so that would only add fuel to the fire.

'Do what is best for the players' - Rooney to Chelsea? No?
Wanting to get the most money he could for Lescott - Yet he is saying it's best for the players if we accepted? No, we will hold you for ransom too.

Maybe we came across as laughable in our statements on the OS too, but he came across as a massive arse in those quotes.

SteveJ

Scout
Yeah, his remarks were ill-advised at best.

NinjaFletch

So?

The quote clearly shows what he says to be true. That as Everton manager he found it hard to stand in the way of players joining bigger teams for the sake of their career. That he wanted the best fee for them as well as that is obvious.

shaggy

Prefers blue over red, loathed by Spurs fans
Moyes is being a bit of a twat but I guess it's not exactly a bad thing if you look at Fergie's success. Much rather have someone like that than nice-guy Hodgson.

SteveJ

Scout
I think the message was clearly for Baines and Fellaini, for them to make Everton aware that they wish to leave to strengthen our bargaining position. He doesn't care what Everton fans think, he's responsibility is now to improve United.

Yep, maybe so. I was assuming that Moyes was being a little naive in being so open with the press, but perhaps that's not the case at all.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
So?

The quote clearly shows what he says to be true. That as Everton manager he found it hard to stand in the way of players joining bigger teams for the sake of their career. That he wanted the best fee for them as well as that is obvious.
So when a bid of £12 million (hey, the same amount for Baines) that could rise to about £15 million comes in for a player that has been poor to say the least, at a time when you need to sell to buy (which meant we wouldn't have to sell a more important player) you are hardly going to block it. I highly doubt that selling him was for the best for his career, to City of all people too.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I think the message was clearly for Baines and Fellaini, for them to make Everton aware that they wish to leave to strengthen our bargaining position. He doesn't care what Everton fans think, he's responsibility is now to improve United.

Baines has a contract until 2015, Fellaini has one until 2016. We could hold out if we really wanted to and i don't think that a player wanting to leave would change that. Martinez has said that neither have tried to force a move either i don't think so i won't get too worried over that yet.

Shark

@NotShark
Were people calling Guardiola's comments on Thiago 'twatish' towards Barcelona when he was trying to improve Bayern? I'm surprised now many United fans are quick to side with butt-hurt Everton. :lol:

datura

Yep, maybe so. I was assuming that Moyes was being a little naive in being so open with the press, but perhaps that's not the case at all.
The actual press conference was very impressive (albeit these quotes relate to the off camera media conference). He's starting to look like he's growing into the role and more confident. Of course that could all change with a few bad results in the coming weeks!

Brightonian

He hasn't put a foot wrong so far IMO. Gone after good targets, won his football and played some of the youngsters.
Yup. And ultimately if he wins the football then he's doing a good job. Everything else is just people worrying about how he's going to win the football.

datura

Baines has a contract until 2015, Fellaini has one until 2016. We could hold out if we really wanted to and i don't think that a player wanting to leave would change that. Martinez has said that neither have tried to force a move either i don't think so i won't get too worried over that yet.
You can always hold out, but historically you've been a selling club and if you can get c£35m it give Martinez a good opportunity to bring in 3/4 players more in his style (McCarthy an obvious target) that could improve you. I would imagine you'd want some resolution fairly quickly though.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
How is this a relevant or similar comparison to Fellaini/Baines to United?

If Rooney wants to leave then he isn't 'doing right by the player'?

You can always hold out, but historically you've been a selling club and if you can get c£35m it give Martinez a good opportunity to bring in 3/4 players more in his style (McCarthy an obvious target) that could improve you. I would imagine you'd want some resolution fairly quickly though.
I don't doubt that it would strengthen the squad but it's the First XI that wins the majority of the games and personally Fellaini is a better fit right now than McCarthy is for us unless we brought in McCarthy and another midfielder who was 'defensively minded' so to speak. It is down to Martinez at the end of the day but the fact is that our finances are fine without selling, so it's only down to United putting in a bid of our valuation which will get them.

Shark

@NotShark
Rooney is at one of the biggest clubs in the world, Felliani and Baines are at a mid-table club. The comparison is stupid.

acnumber9

Granted, the first years of his reign were scattered with over-achievement but once we became stabled and established in the top half, i wouldn't say we were over-achieving. Since 06-07 our lowest position has been 8th and our highest has been 5th, not much between that and isn't really over-achieving, as we were just stable whereas other clubs like Spurs/Liverpool were making the wrong decisions during that time, with the latter only finally seeming to come to grips with making the right ones.

Yeah, it doesn't trump his 11 years here, but i don't think it is wrong to be aggrieved at Moyes for his comments, or for the bids considering these are our two best players who are crucial to us, and we have no idea how we will fare without either. There were negatives during Moyes tenure too that some fans weren't pleased with so that would only add fuel to the fire.

'Do what is best for the players' - Rooney to Chelsea? No?
Wanting to get the most money he could for Lescott - Yet he is saying it's best for the players if we accepted? No, we will hold you for ransom too.

Maybe we came across as laughable in our statements on the OS too, but he came across as a massive arse in those quotes.
And those quotes come after Everton and Martinez' constant whining. It's a response. Until then Moyes and Utd had said nothing on the players. Had Everton kept it to themselves then Moyes wouldn't be making these quotes. Now they have their bad guy which is what they've wanted all along.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Why? He said he would do right by the players. If Rooney wants to leave then he isn't doing right by the players, is he?

LR7

If Rooney wants to leave then he isn't 'doing right by the player'?
Fellaini/Baines moving to United from Everton is quite a few steps up, to a club who are the current Champions, one of the best/biggest clubs in world football where they will be competing for titles and playing in the CL.
Rooney moving to Chelsea is not at step up at all and its arguable whether its even a sideways step.

Totally different situation.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I'd have found it very difficult to keep them because I always felt the right thing to do was what was right for the players," he said.

If Rooney wants to leave he isn't doing right by the player.

Comsmit

Except we didn't offer less than they paid for him. All kinds of wrong here.
They paid an initial £15 million for him in 2008, rising to £17.5 million with add-ons. If we assume the Baines offer remained the same the offer for Fellaini was £16 million. Even assuming the add-ons have not been paid, which I'm sure they have, the offer is a paltry million over what they paid 5 years ago. If the Baines bid had increased by say a million then there would be no improvement on the "initial fee" Everton paid back in 2008. Either way it was ridiculous and bound to be leaked as an example of how not to butter up the club from which you wish to purchase their 2 finest players.

Aporkalypse

Quite clever from Everton and Martinez to fire the first shots and make this public. It will galvanise the Everton fans behind the new manager, even if both players are sold to the "big bully" who they used to adore.

The Rooney situation is hardly comparable, by all accounts he is frustrated because he isn't the biggest fish in the pond any more.

acnumber9

They paid an initial £15 million for him in 2008, rising to £17.5 million with add-ons. If we assume the Baines offer remained the same the offer for Fellaini was £16 million. Even assuming the add-ons have not been paid, which I'm sure they have, the offer is a paltry million over what they paid 5 years ago. If the Baines bid had increased by say a million then there would be no improvement on the "initial fee" Everton paid back in 2008. Either way it was ridiculous and bound to be leaked as an example of how not to butter up the club from which you wish to purchase their 2 finest players.
Are you getting these Fellaini add ons from the same place you made up how much Evrton paid for Gibson? Have you a link. All I see is they paid £15m. It's not Utd's fault Eveton overpaid for him. We offered not much less than his worth as an opening offer and Everton have thrown their toys out of the pram and now Moyes has responded they're going to portray him as the bad guy when they eventually sell.

marjen

Desperately wants to be like Noodle
SilentWitness got the right of this, lads. Moyes is chatting shite to try and turn the heads of Fellaini and Baines here, it's plain to see. If this is his idea of negotiation tactics I'm not sure they're quite refined enough to work.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
I'd have found it very difficult to keep them because I always felt the right thing to do was what was right for the players," he said.

Where's Rooney said he wants to leave? The first attempt was a contract negotiation and this one isn't clear cut. I don't see Rooney doing much of anything to be frank. He's upset because he's not the main man at the minute, not because he wants to win trophies elsewhere.. which is what he does here. He's not put in any kind of request, he's not missing training...he's not refusing to play....it's much of nothing. The speculation is around a new contract and not being number one choice. I think most people thought he'd feature against Madrid but such is life...

The press have said: 'oh we made him train with the kids and that he would never pull on the shirt again'...it's bollocks basically.

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses

Not quite the same.

it's clear he's talking about Fellaini and Baines having potential to be at a club bigger and better than Everton. Given the chance to win trophies is different to moving from United to Chelsea.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Where's Rooney said he wants to leave? The first attempt was a contract negotiation and this one isn't clear cut. I don't see Rooney doing much of anything to be frank. He's upset because he's not the main man at the minute, not because he wants to win trophies elsewhere.. which is what he does here. He's not put in any kind of request, he's not missing training...he's not refusing to play....it's much of nothing. The speculation is around a new contract and not being number one choice. I think most people thought he'd feature against Madrid but such is life...

The press have said: 'oh we made him train with the kids and that he would never pull on the shirt again'...it's bollocks basically.

Well he did say in May/June that he wanted to leave. Whether he still thinks that is speculation still, but if he does then Moyes wouldn't be doing right by the player.

Right now, Fellaini and Baines haven't said they want to leave and there has been little to none specualtion that they do.

The only way the situations are different is that Rooney 'wants' to leave by personal reasons and Baines/Fellaini would 'want' to leave by footballing reasons.

Either way you could argue that it's not 'right by the player' in both situations.

Shimo

Fellaini/Baines moving to United from Everton is quite a few steps up, to a club who are the current Champions, one of the best/biggest clubs in world football where they will be competing for titles and playing in the CL.
Rooney moving to Chelsea is not at step up at all and its arguable whether its even a sideways step.

Totally different situation.

It's only different if "what is right for the players" is decided by someone other than the player. In this case Moyes.

In Rooney's situation - if he is saying it's best for him to go play at a club where he will be played in his best position and still be competing at the highest level and also at a club that will give him his last big contract - well that's what he thinks is the right thing for him. Is it for us or Moyes to say really what's right for him?.

So the situations are identical based on the quote "I always thought the right thing to do was the right thing for players"- if the player decides that what is the right thing for him. If Moyes gets to decide what is the right thing - then yeah okay different situations but, that's a laughable claim.

Perhaps if he had said "Will do the right thing for the players but, also look out for the best interests of the club" - then there is nothing anyone can say against that.

Marcus

From a transfers perspective I think it is now obvious that Moyes is great at transfers. He probably knows that Fellaini and Baines have contract terms which oblige Everton to inform them of a bid from a big club no matter how low. So by bidding quietly, Moyes has turned their heads legitimately. Everton made the bid public since there is no advantage to keep quiet. They might as well do the dying swan dance to appease Everton fans and drive the price up/get a bidding war going if possible. United probably have little budget to be too charitable since we are going for Ozil. In short, Ozil, Fellaini and Baines.

Status
Not open for further replies.