Moyes To Succeed Ferguson Anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

charleysurf

Obnoxious, abusive bellend who is best ignored
No.

This is the most important decision the Glazers have made as club owners. The difference between the right choice and the wrong one is vastly greater than a few million pounds.
Yeah, if they wanted Mourinho they would pay the cash. This is more important than a Van Persie for example.

Jimy_Hills_Chin

Desperately wants to be ITK
Looking though the Everton coaching staff I'm not sure who he will bring with him.

Steve round is his assistant, is he rated highly?
He won't bring many I wouldn't expect. I think that the more pertinent question is if he will make Phelan wear trousers.

I think that we will see Baines playing for us next season though.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
Looking though the Everton coaching staff I'm not sure who he will bring with him.

Steve round is his assistant, is he rated highly?
I can't see him bringing more than one or two and Steve Round is never going to be assistant manager. I'd be shocked if we even considered bringing them both in.

One of the benefits of Moyes is that he'll allow for a fairly smooth transition, compared to someone like Mourinho he isn't going to stamp the same authority on all areas of the club. In line with that I think we'll go for an assistant who has worked under Ferguson.

Rudie

Mentary
I'd like to give Moyes a chance, he's a good manager who can offer stability and who knows what more given the opportunity and resources, he doesn't mind giving youth a chance. I'm looking forward to next season, we've had the babes and fledglings now let's see Moyes's masters. I will of course still miss Fergie.

Widnes

I wouldn't be totally shocked if he brings Phil Neville with him as coach, he's completed all his badges and has been coaching with the England U21 and will be leaving Everton at the end of the season. May not happen but certainly wouldn't be shocked.

Enigma_87

You know who
Ayee, and this was done without significant investment. It really is an achievement what he has managed to do at Everton on such a low budget. I understand people might have doubts over his ability to translate his success at Everton to a top team at United, but downplaying his success at Everton is just stupid. He couldn't have done any better with those players and that level of transfer spending.

Pre-Moyes
97 - 15th
98 - 17th
99 - 14th
00 - 13th
01 - 16th
02 - 15th

After Moyes
03 - 7th
04 - 17th
05 - 4th
06 - 11th
07 - 6th
08 - 5th
09 - 5th
10 - 8th
11 - 7th
12 - 7th
13 - 6th
Moyes has no proven record at a big club. The same would be if we hire AVB, 'Arry or O'Neill.

roseguy64

I don't believe it's because he is Scottish, but his character, he is loyal and hard working, I can imagine him at reserve games watching the youngsters playing. Can't imagine Jose doing that. Also won't allow indiscipline, which is a good thing. I still remember Jose and him insulting ambulance service etc. when Cech got injured at Reading. He has a really ugly side when it suits.
How do you know what Jose would do? He's obviously watched Real Madrid B since he knows what tactics they use and has called up some of their players to play for Real Madrid. Since when does Mourinho allow indiscipline? He's benched Casillas because Iker has too much power as a player. :houllier:

blythy

Fascist Dictator
I wouldn't be totally shocked if he brings Phil Neville with him as coach, he's completed all his badges and has been coaching with the England U21 and will be leaving Everton at the end of the season. May not happen but certainly wouldn't be shocked.
Good call

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I think Paisley is the ideal for Moyes to follow in this scenario in the sense that it's about continuing with the things that are already great about the club rather than trying to "stamp authority" on the situation.

roseguy64

It is relevant though as it shows that if you take a good manager and give him a team with good foundations, a promising squad with youngsters and a bit of money, then they can be a success.
Except it was Klopp who did that. All Dortmund gave him was the backing and the cash. He changed things at the club and improved them immensely. He's the one who built up that good foundation and brought in those youngsters. Moyes has had the same opportunity at Everton and done nothing brilliant.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
During Moyes' Everton years Portsmouth is the only team outside the top four (or five) that has won the FA Cup. Even the league cup has been dominated by top sides in the same period. Saying that he has been underachieving in the cup department simply isn't true.

An Irish Red

But Jesus Christ, dismissing him because, shock horror, Everton have not won trophies instead of City and Cheisea is bullshit.
Michael Laudrup has only been in England for a season and he's already won a trophy. Plenty of managers outside of the big four have the odd trophy to their name. Moyes hasn't won anything at all at Everton in a decade.

And I have a long term hatred of those who go weak at the knees for managers and players with fancy continental names and who find British/Irish equivalents too boring.
It's nothing to do with what his name is, it's the fact that he hasn't achieved anything worthy of being appointed manager of a club the size of Manchester United.

If City appointed Moyes as a manager, everyone on here would be laughing at them.

Irwinwastheking

Gimpier than Alex and Feeky
During Moyes' Everton years Portsmouth is the only team outside the top four (or five) that has won the FA Cup. Even the league cup has been dominated by top sides in the same period. Saying that he has been underachieving in the cup department simply isn't true.
Especially when you think that Everton like most other clubs don't take the League cup seriously.

Zebs

Clare Baldings Daughter plays too much Wordscapes
Will Phil Neville come with him I wonder?

edit: In a coaching role obviously.

Rowem

gently, down the stream
I'm not wanting him here but I'll give him time. Interestingly if anyone cares Klopp has seven years at Mainz with a similar win percentage at Moyes before moving to Dortmund.
Interesting!

EvilChuck

Pretty much what I think, I'm slowly coming around to the idea. I was fuming this morning though when he was linked.

Still wouldn't have been my choice but he's no mug, he's an intelligent bloke and is clearly a steely, determined character. I'm most interested in how he shapes this squad, it just needs tweaking, but he has to have full control over what he wants to do with it, that's the way it must be. His transfers have always been good value, but now he's looking at the next bracket up, the top class players.
I felt the same, but thats more to do with my shock, sadness and disappointment at the news that Sir Alex was actually leaving. The more I think about it, the more the idea of a manager like Moyes feels right to me. He's not going to rock the boat, he'll just maintain the status quo which is all we need, after all, we've just won the league.

Jimy_Hills_Chin

Desperately wants to be ITK
Except it was Klopp who did that. All Dortmund gave him was the backing and the cash. He changed things at the club and improved them immensely. He's the one who built up that good foundation and brought in those youngsters. Moyes has had the same opportunity at Everton and done nothing brilliant.
Dortmund were European champions in 96. They have been much better placed in the context of their league for an ascent than Everton ever have under Moyes.

Irwinwastheking

Michael Laudrup has only been in England for a season and he's already won a trophy. Plenty of managers outside of the big four have the odd trophy to their name. Moyes hasn't won anything at all at Everton in a decade.

The fecking League cup is a joke that clubs see as nothing more than an inconvenience for small squads and a bedding in exercise for big clubs. Fergie hasn't won a domestic cup in years either as he's focused on other things.

It's nothing to do with what his name is, it's the fact that he hasn't achieved anything worthy of being appointed manager of a club the size of Manchester United.

In your opinion. But in your opinion you don't see the tremendous over achievement at Everton as something worthy of an opportunity. Plenty do though.

If City appointed Moyes as a manager, everyone on here would be laughing at them.

Only an idiot would, and City are much like a lot of our more muppety supporters and would only appoint a fancy name. Chelsea the same.

Irwinwastheking

Dortmund were European champions in 96. They have been much better placed in the context of their league for an ascent than Everton ever have under Moyes.
Essentially they didn't have United/City/Chelsea/Arsenal/Spurs/Liverpool to contend with. If those clubs were all playing in the german league then Klopp may not have found it so easy to produce a team playing this football.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
What in God's name do people expect? He has competed against United, Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool and City - having a pittance to spend compared to these sides. You can throw a couple of others in there too if you will: Spurs lately, Newcastle at times, even bloody Stoke have had more money to burn in recent years. What has the man done if not precisely to build an excellent foundation with small resources?

As others have said, it's fair enough to be disappointed, it's fair enough to regard Moyes as a bit of a dullard, nobody's over the moon with anything on a day like this...but to downplay his achievements at Everton is just plain unfair to him.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
Thinking behind appointing Moyes will have a lot to do with how the backroom staff will be structured, and kept on compared to someone like Mourinho. Basically, continuity.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
Essentially they didn't have United/City/Chelsea/Arsenal/Spurs/Liverpool to contend with. If those clubs were all playing in the german league then Klopp may not have found it so easy to produce a team playing this football.
Dortmund have been excellent playing against Europe's elite.

charleysurf

Obnoxious, abusive bellend who is best ignored
Ah, so all Moyes needs is a Carling Cup and he will be United quality?

Nate Dogg

Don't Make Me Angry
David Gill did say in an interview that european experience is a requisite to becoming a United....Moyes virtually has none unless he is talking about his jollies to Majorca.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
People mentioning Laudrup as a better manager than Moyes for Man United :lol:

Dante

Average bang
I'm beginning to warm to the idea of Moyes. He's known as a good man manager, a no nonsense and pragmatic tactician, and has been credited with creating a family atmosphere within Everton.

With the right advice and support, I reckon he'll be clever enough to keep United at the top of the tree. Given his lack of top-level European experience, his choice of assistant will be important though. I hope he chooses a Quieroz-type assistant who'll give him a completely different point of view to the one he's used to.

BD

technologically challenged barbie doll

The Carling cup, while it is a trophy, is hardly something to write home about, especially for a club like Everton who still had a realistic enough chance at top 4 when it got to crunch time in the cup.

I hate that argument against Moyes. Realistically, he has two trophies a year he can win, and one of them isn't of much interest to them. Sure, it'd be nice if they won the Carling cup, but no huge achievement, such as getting a top four place or even top five now with the teams up there. Then in the FA cup, as we have proved by not winning it in 8 years, is a tough trophy to win. One bit of bad luck and thats that.

Why can't people just give him a chance before wanting rid of him?

Status
Not open for further replies.