Moyes To Succeed Ferguson Anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cal?

CR7 fan
The more I'm on here, the more I'm depressed at the news. David Moyes? Seriously? I've registered the speculation over the years, but never thought it was particularly serious - I always though Mou was a shoo-in for the job, and lately Klopp has been impressive as well.

I'm doubly sad at the moment.
Sir Alex retiring was bad enough, Moyes as replacement just made today... (I can't find the right word)

Off to drink myself to sleep.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
I can't believe we kept this under wraps for months and then acted this swiftly for David Moyes. You'd say something if we had to move fast to secure a Mourinho, a Guardiola or a Klopp, but Moyes?

I'm astounded.
Kept what under wraps? That we would appoint Moyes? And then went in swiftly for him? That doesn't make a whole lot of sense, begging yer pardon.

My theory is that if Moyes is indeed the man he was lined up as Fergie's successor a fair while ago - by Fergie himself. The same Fergie has been pondering ever since the league was in the bag whether he should take one final year - with Moyes as an assistant - or whether he should just call it quits now. Could be wrong, of course, but that would explain plenty - including the otherwise bizarre rumours about Moyes coming here as assistant manager.

The Neviller

You're now bordering on facetious which is a pity as you have been one of the reasonable anti-moyes posters here today.
I'm not being facetious at all. I'm simply saying you can't suggest the experience of the existing staff makes up for Moyes lack of it, if those same staff are then suggested as not being experienced enough to do the job themselves.

I dont want anyone currently at the club managing United, but then I also don't think their experience makes up for Moyes lack of experience.

Erentz

Knows everything! 5 years later.
Jesus Christ, I feel like I'm going to have a fecking seizure.

Man-United

Good to read that people don't change their opinion on Moyes just because he's gonna be our new manager. Too many who goes from hate the idea of having someone to be over the moon at him coming.

Cee90

Redcafe Fantasy Football Champion 2012/13
Yes, Fergie is a legend and a world class manager who the club will miss having as manager.

But he will still be involved in the club. How can you be 'depressed' about it?

We all knew it was going to happen sooner or later and it is rather exciting knowing that someone else is going to take over. Maybe it's just me but I'm really looking forward to it, be it with Moyes or someone else.

CnutOfAllCnuts

Bald Boring Cnut
I'm not being facetious at all. I'm simply saying you can't suggest the experience of the existing staff makes up for Moyes lack of it, if those same staff are then suggested as not being experienced enough to do the job themselves.

I dont want anyone currently at the club managing United, but then I also don't think their experience makes up for Moyes lack of experience.
Moyes is 50 and has 10-years management experience!

Spoony

The People's President
They of all people should keep their traps well shut, actually. He has outfought 'em in the league the past couple of seasons with a squad which compares to ours like Brenton Rodgers compares to Fergie himself.
Not only that but they appointed a certain Bob Paisley who had no experience whatsoever. Like Liverpool we' re in a very health position for someone like Moyes to make a seamless transition...whilst shown the ropes by this famous Scottish person whose name escapes me...

The Neviller

I took it as stand alone post. I never realised he had quoted you, TN.
Fair enough. As a standalone he makes some good points, and I can see why some people might like the idea of Moyes. I just can't quite get my head around the fact that I think a club of our standing should be aiming higher.

JohnLocke

BBC:

David Moyes set to be new Manchester United manager

Everton manager David Moyes is set to be appointed as the new Manchester United manager, following Sir Alex Ferguson's retirement.
An announcement could be made on Thursday.
Ferguson, 71, revealed his decision to step down after nearly 27 years at Old Trafford on Wednesday.
Fellow Scot Moyes, 50, who has been in charge at Goodison Park since 2002, held talks with Toffees chairman Bill Kenwright on Wednesday evening.
David Moyes factfile

Started playing career at Celtic and finished at Preston, where he played alongside young loan signing David Beckham between February and March 1995

Ten months after guiding Preston to the Division One play-off final, Moyes took over at Everton from Walter Smith in March 2002

Gave Wayne Rooney Premier League debut in August 2002 before selling him to Manchester United two years later for £20m

Steered Everton to fourth in 2005 and place in qualifying stages of Champions League

Took Everton to FA Cup final in 2009, where they lost 2-1 to Chelsea after beating Man United in semi-final

The former Preston boss was installed as bookmakers' favourite to become the next United boss following a rush of bets over the weekend, even before speculation mounted about Ferguson's retirement.

"He's cut from the same cloth," said former United captain Steve Bruce.
"It wouldn't surprise me if he got the job and I'm sure he would be very successful.

"He's not had huge finances but he has still managed to put an Everton team together that comfortably finishes in the top 10."

Former United assistant manager Steve McClaren also believes Moyes is the right man for the job.

"He's a winner and has a work ethic similar to Sir Alex," the ex-England manager told BBC Radio 5 live. "He's also built a dynasty and legacy at Everton.

"He's waited many years for this opportunity and I hope he gets it."
Former England striker Gary Lineker, who presents the BBC's Match of the Day programme, said Moyes would be a "sensible" appointment.
"It is a great choice for United, but not a great choice for Everton because he will be a great loss to them. It makes the transition easier to get another British and Scottish manager in," said the ex-Toffees forward.
"He (Moyes) is hugely respected within the game and he will instantly get the respect of the players but it's the biggest pair of shoes you can follow. It's intensely difficult and I think the best job at Manchester United is the one after the one after Sir Alex Ferguson because expectations will be so tough.
"It is going to be extraordinarily difficult for the next boss of Manchester United because if it goes wrong the fans will let him know they are missing Sir Alex.

"It is interesting that it appears Manchester United are going for another British manager because a lot of big clubs, such as Arsenal, Chelsea and Manchester City have hired foreign coaches with big names.

"United have had all their success with British managers so why go in the opposite direction? It makes sense to go down the same route."

"He will always be judged against someone with phenomenal success, but he will know that anyway. However, you can still see the allure of the job. It is one of the three biggest clubs in the world, so it will always get big names wanting that job."
Former United defender Gary Neville also backed Moyes as a potential successor to Ferguson.
"I don't know if he's going to be appointed, but I would welcome it - it makes sense," Neville, who won eight league titles at United, told Sky Sports.
But former England striker Alan Shearer believes the appointment of Moyes could be a gamble as he has not won a trophy during 11 years in charge at Everton.

"Anyone who has worked with David Moyes says great things about his man-management and his coaching," Shearer told BBC Sport.
"The only thing you would say is that he has not won a trophy at Everton.
"But I suppose anyone who goes into Manchester United is a big gamble because it is going to be one heck of a big pair of shoes to fill."
And former United manager Tommy Docherty said he would "feel sorry" for Moyes should he be appointed.
"If it is David Moyes then I congratulate him and feel sorry for him. How can you follow the impossible?"

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
The sad thing is, many of you seem more sad about Moyes arriving than Fergie going.

The same people would probably be extatic today if Jose had gotten the job.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Still holding out for a similar occasion when Harry Redknapp was nailed on as English manager and it went to Hodge.
It would certainly be a drama fest. Problem is, by that same analogy we will end up with Pulis by tomorrow afternoon.

Man-United

Wonder if Moyes will try and get some Everton players to OT. Can see Baines but not anyone else.

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
Kept what under wraps? That we would appoint Moyes? And then went in swiftly for him? That doesn't make a whole lot of sense, begging yer pardon.
The fact that Ferguson was leaving this summer. It was reported that he originally intended leaving the post last season before City pipped us to the title. I cannot believe we've kept this quiet for this long only to announce the following day that David Moyes was going to take over. If it was a swift appointment of the créme de la créme you'd expect it, but David Moyes?

When some touted Moyes for the Spurs job last summer, many felt even that was above his station. Now he's taking over from the greatest manager of all time at arguably the biggest club in the world. It is an astounding decision to be frank. I'm still dumb-founded here.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
Jose is a fecking circus, Moyes is a much more stable option

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
Good to read that people don't change their opinion on Moyes just because he's gonna be our new manager. Too many who goes from hate the idea of having someone to be over the moon at him coming.
It's more to do with respecting the clubs decision and supporting the man chosen. I'm sure that's our job as fans. Looking on from the outside I'd also rather have someone like Klopp, but support decision of people who are in the know.

Waldner

Balloon headed Pokemon innovator & kitten murderer
I really would far prefer Mourinho to Moyes. While Moyes has done ever so well at Everton with their limited financial situation, there's no indication that he'd be able to continue that over here. Where are the similarities, apart from the fact that he appears to be a loyal kind of bloke?

Mourinho is easily one of the best in the world, and has indicated in the past that he holds United and Fergie in very high regard, so I reckon he'd be around for a good while.

It's just, Moyes doesn't really fill me with any sense of ambition from the club.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
The fact that Ferguson was leaving this summer. It was reported that he originally intended leaving the post last season before City pipped us to the title. I cannot believe we've kept this quiet for this long only to announce the following day that David Moyes was going to take over. If it was a swift appointment of the créme de la créme you'd expect it, but David Moyes?

When some touted Moyes for the Spurs job last summer, many felt even that was above his station. Now he's taking over from the greatest manager of all time at arguably the biggest club in the world. It is an astounding decision to be frank. I'm still dumb-founded here.
He's been a favourite for the job for years, so I don't see why you are so shocked. It's not as if he has come from nowhere as a contender.

Quinton Fortune

Jesus christ people on here a fecking idiots. Maybe now is time for some of you gloryfans to feck off or realise what this club is actually all about

Kevin

Nostrodamus of football
How about this then: the scousers will be buzzing now that their much anticipated dream of Ferguson retiring has become reality earlier than expected and they must feel giddy about what they must perceive as the first step of a long 'transition' period.... City fans and other rivals will feel delighted about us appointing a nothing manager. The step down is huge.

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
To be honest I'm happier with this than Jose, I don't want us to become another club that chops and changes their manager regularly.

At least Moyes has shown he can keep a team stable for the long haul, and to be honest what he has done at Everton with that budget is incredible.

Who knows, it might not turn out well but we need to get behind the team now more than ever.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
Some bullshit posts in here to be honest. People slagging off Moyes before he's even walked through the door. The guy has done a wonderous job at Everton and deserves our full support if he arrives. He knows the league inside out and is exactly the sort of stable, no nonsense manager that United should have. None of this Mourinho circus and drama. Continuity and dignity.

People on here are seriously underrating Moyes. His annual next spend has been 800k and get Everton are a top 5/6 team every season. They play much better football than they get credit for too. Be depressed about SAF leaving, that's natural but to be depressed about a new manager before he's even had a chance is just knee jerk, childish nonsense. Ferguson has obviously been integral in the selection process and it's his judgement on such matter that I value above all others.

United is a brilliantly run club and this will continue our great tradition of sensible management. I hope he comes, does well and stays for a decade. He has a great record of youth development too which very much speaks to the identity of this great club. Some of you need to get a grip.

Ludens the Red

The sad thing is, many of you seem more sad about Moyes arriving than Fergie going.

The same people would probably be extatic today if Jose had gotten the job.
It's disgusting isn't it, some embarrassing behaviour on here today, some major culprits too, I wont name them.

Status
Not open for further replies.