Moyes To Succeed Ferguson Anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Commadus

Moyes is Scottish and likes to play 442. Our first signing Fellaini and watch the long balls rain in. Moyes has shown no compunction for tactical awareness.

Rooney will be off, he doesn't get along with Moyes.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
:nono:

It's not. It's like asking a profitable local businessman to be the CEO of a multinational. Whole new ballgame. We don't have a shoestring here and a trophy a season is a minimum requirement. High stakes play, mate. Definitely not the same
How is what he achieved at Everton not admirable? :confused:

Not everybody is going to want Moyes which is fair enough and it's fair to question his ability to translate his success with Everton to a huge club like United. But downplaying his achievements with Everton is just plain stupid, he did an exceptional job.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
I've no doubt that a lot of fans did want somebody else. My point was that SAF's appointment then doesn't equate to Moyes's appointment now. It isn't like SAF was somebody with zero success who was appointed over Clough, he had achieved far more than Moyes has. So the comparison doesn't really apply.
Oh, I agree completely. Fergie had excellent results to show, the Cup Winner's Cup not least.

This thing is just going round in circles now, though. "Moyes has never won anything." "No, but he's never had a proper chance to do so either." "Yeah, but he could've at least beaten Liverpool at Anfield a couple of times." "Sure, but it proves nothing that he hasn't." And so on.

Nobody denies the man has no (major) trophies to his name. Pointing that out over and over again, however, won't change the fact that Fergie clearly sees something in him. If there's anything Fergie has excelled at over the years it's spotting potential where others couldn't. To me it means a great deal that he backs Moyes. It means a lot more than the fact Moyes hasn't won anything. He has been at Everton for more than a decade, there's not much he could have won apart from the odd cup (and that, as we have been over, isn't easy - the one cup which actually means something has been dominated almost completely by the big teams during his tenure at Goodison).

I'll repeat one final point before I go to bed: Hiring a manager is a matter of selecting the man who is best suited for the part, pure and simple. Except it ain't simple, of course. It's a gamble of sorts no matter who you go for. What it is not, however, is a matter of picking the biggest name on the list and hire him - misguidedly believing that a huge club by necessity needs to hire a huge name. Once more, look at what Barca did with Guardiola. He didn't have a trophy to his name when he put the pen to the paper. You can't win anything big unless someone has faith in you and gives you a break.

Good night.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
Come on, Manchester United is not just any old name. A practically managerless Chelsea beat us to Hazard. Players that want to come within what we want to pay for them will come in. The main concern with Moyes is how he will manage real talent.
True but Chelsea were recently crowned European Champions and they could offer him more money. Maybe that was more appealing to the prick. Also City beat us to the title.

Spiersey

Supports
Chelsea
Just to clarify for anyone, after seeing a comment on comparing Fergie's achievements with us before United to what Neil Lennon is doing. Fergie absolutely revolutionised Aberdeen. He made us stronger than we had ever been and have been since then. He took a small team against European giants and embarked on an incredible Cup winners cup triumph. Scoring late goals in true Fergie style. He destroyed the old firm stronghold on Scottish football. His achievements in Scotland are greater than his at United in my opinion. Neil Lennon has won a league with the best team by a mile and beat Barcelona by getting incredibly lucky. If there was a candidate that had achieved Half of what Fergie achieved at Aberdeen then he would definitely deserve the United job today.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
True but Chelsea were recently crowned European Champions and they could offer him more money. Maybe that was more appealing to the prick. Also City beat us to the title.
If the club's name is not above all of that, I don't want them. Much rather have players who understand who we are.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
As has been said many times today Chester. Moyes has been managing in football for over a decade and won nothing. Guardiola hadn't managed before taking on Barca. The situation isn't comparable. The whole situation with Manchester United isn't comparable, it's not like we're replacing a manager who's been with us for a few years. This is Sir Alex, arguably the greatest manager in english football.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
If the club's name is not above all of that, I don't want them. Much rather have players who understand who we are.
100% agree moses.

All these transfer muppets sweating over Moyes not being a glamourous enough name to attract some player rated five stars in Football Manager...

Commadus

How many finals has moyes got to? Even Redknapp has won a trophy and Martinez has got Wigan to a final.

Moyes will be the end of United. Fergie backed mcleish, says enough about him spotting talent.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
As has been said many times today Chester. Moyes has been managing in football for over a decade and won nothing. Guardiola hadn't managed before taking on Barca. The situation isn't comparable. The whole situation with Manchester United isn't comparable, it's not like we're replacing a manager who's been with us for a few years. This is Sir Alex, arguably the greatest manager in english football.
Aye, I think it has been established firmly now that he hasn't won anything. If one can't see beyond that there's no point in going through the same old song and dance yet again.

Pep wasn't a huge name, that was my point. The circumstances as such aren't comparable, I agree, of course. Many seem to think we are somehow obliged, because we are a huge club, to hire a manager with a huge name who has already won all there is to win (i.e. Maureen). The Pep case proves that this certainly isn't necessary.

Spiersey

Supports
Chelsea
But it's still incomparable with getting Everton on top 5/6 with shoe string budget. The latter is an 'exceptional' job. *sarcasm*
To compete with what he did at Aberdeen, it would be the equivalent of winning the league with Everton. A much smaller budget, with two teams comfortably above everyone else.
If any united fan wants a good scare have a look at how we have got on since he left.
On another note its coming up for the 30 year anniversary of Gothenburg. Will be a fitting time for him to retire.

RDCR07

How many finals has moyes got to? Even Redknapp has won a trophy and Martinez has got Wigan to a final.

Moyes will be the end of United. Fergie backed mcleish, says enough about him spotting talent.
Okay even Im not a fan of us hiring Moyes but this is just going overboard. Just calm down. A lot of fans are not happy but its by no means the end of us. Fergie is still going to be at the club and overlooking Moyes work to help him.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
To be fair to the powers that be re this seemingly underwhelming appointment, whoever comes in is on a hiding to nothing. It's an impossible job IMO unless you're Mourinho.

Moyes will, IMO, at the very least provide stability at the club. I don't think he'll fail and we'll tumble down the league. Then if we're looking to move on from him in 2 or 3 years the new man will have a far better chance.

Revan

Assumptionman
I genuinely worry about his ability to attract top players. I mean yes we have the name that is Manchester United but the manager counts a lot. And Im not sure players would be dreaming to play for David fecking Moyes. But like everyone has said, I am raging right now that he is almost hired but I guess he will get my backing as well once the season starts. But this first year is going to such a testing time for him especially with Mourinho liking to be coming back to Chelsea. I wont be surprised if we finished 3rd for the next season or two.
Ronaldo, Kaka, Benzema and Xabi Alonso were dreaming to play for Manuel fecking Pellegrini. Beckham left United because he was dreaming to play under Carlos fecking Queiroz. Owen was always dreaming to play under Vanderlei fecking Luxemburgo. And Cassano biggest dream was to play under Juan Ramos (who the feck is him anyway?).

Remember Hazard last year? His only reason to play for Chelsea was because of the opportunity to play under Di Matteo.

Some people forget at times who we are.

RDCR07

I think him signing a central midfielder will have to be one of the first steps he takes to win some of the fans's backing. :lol:

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
To be fair to the powers that be re this seemingly underwhelming appointment, whoever comes in is on a hiding to nothing. It's an impossible job IMO unless you're Mourinho.

Moyes will, IMO, at the very least provide stability at the club. I don't think he'll fail and we'll tumble down the league. Then if we're looking to move on from him in 2 or 3 years the new man will have a far better chance.
Why do you think this?

If only Mourinho could handle the job then he would have been hired. He would jump at the chance of managing a stable club like United over Chelsea.

Mourinho has huge issues that make hiring him a problem, I'm not surprised at all he isn't the favourite for the job.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
You know what, today I've really come round to Moyes. I've even found myself calling him 'Dave', who doesn't love a good underdog story! :keano:
It's also a plus, for me, that he hates Suarez.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Aye, I think it has been established firmly now that he hasn't won anything. If one can't see beyond that there's no point in going through the same old song and dance yet again.

Pep wasn't a huge name, that was my point. The circumstances as such aren't comparable, I agree, of course. Many seem to think we are somehow obliged, because we are a huge club, to hire a manager with a huge name who has already won all there is to win (i.e. Maureen). The Pep case proves that this certainly isn't necessary.
It's the situation that requires a big name not the club. We need someone with experience and knowledge of winning titles to secure the clubs future short term over what will be a very bumpy few years. We're seemingly going a different route and going for the unproven road which could make the bumpy few years even worse. I think it's an unwarranted risk and could easily backfire. That's not to say a big name won't also crumble under the pressure of replacing Ferguson, but its a huge, huge ask for a relatively unproven manager to take on.

Irwinwastheking

Gimpier than Alex and Feeky
:lol: The feck has that got to do with anything?
KingMinger obviously is of the opinion that all the work Fergie will have done in creating a worldwide scouting network will now vanish.

If Moyes isn't sure who to sign can't he just read the caf, plenty of scouting geniuses on here.

RDCR07

You know what, today I've really come round to Moyes. I've even found myself calling him 'Dave', who doesn't love a good underdog story! :keano:
It's also a plus, for me, that he hates Suarez.
Well who doesnt? Everyone hates him except Liverpool fans.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
:nono:

It's not. It's like asking a profitable local businessman to be the CEO of a multinational. Whole new ballgame. We don't have a shoestring here and a trophy a season is a minimum requirement. High stakes play, mate. Definitely not the same
Certainly not the same. The gap in your comparison is somewhat exaggerated though as in football the scale of the task is always confined to 11 players performing on the pitch and from the off he won't be managing the "local business" squad but the one from the multinational. He only really needs to make a couple of good buys, and make good use of an existing squad, not turn from Joe the shopkeeper to Steve Jobs overnight.

Alternatively you can go get the CEO who makes zillions with his options massaging the numbers, alienates the workforce for no good reason at all, blames everyone but himself when things go awry and makes the situaton untenable once he has his next CEO job lined up.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
If Moyes isn't sure who to sign can't he just read the caf, plenty of scouting geniuses on here.
Yeah, that Paul Warhurst signing I recommended really worked out well for everyone concerned.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
1. If there's anything Fergie has excelled at over the years it's spotting potential where others couldn't. To me it means a great deal that he backs Moyes. It means a lot more than the fact Moyes hasn't won anything. 2. He has been at Everton for more than a decade, there's not much he could have won apart from the odd cup (and that, as we have been over, isn't easy - the one cup which actually means something has been dominated almost completely by the big teams during his tenure at Goodison).

I'll repeat one final point before I go to bed: Hiring a manager is a matter of selecting the man who is best suited for the part, pure and simple. Except it ain't simple, of course. It's a gamble of sorts no matter who you go for. 3. What it is not, however, is a matter of picking the biggest name on the list and hire him - misguidedly believing that a huge club by necessity needs to hire a huge name. Once more, look at what Barca did with Guardiola. He didn't have a trophy to his name when he put the pen to the paper. 4. You can't win anything big unless someone has faith in you and gives you a break.

Good night.
1. Fergie doesn't have experience or track record on picking up a manager before. So, his choice of a mid-table manager is a bigger gamble than the alternatives.

2. Everton isn't the only club he can manage in the world.

3. It's a matter of managing one of the biggest club in the world. If RedCafe is looking for someone to replace GB, i doubt the board/people in charge would choose marcosdeto, just because he's been here long enough and contribute enough to RedCafe.

4. That's true. But please don't use Manchester United as a club for manager to 'prove himself'. Do it elsewhere, and come back here with better CV than managing mid-table club with shoe-string budget. We need a winner, and Moyes ain't one.

Carl

:lol:

Carl

Why do you think this?

If only Mourinho could handle the job then he would have been hired. He would jump at the chance of managing a stable club like United over Chelsea.

Mourinho has huge issues that make hiring him a problem, I'm not surprised at all he isn't the favourite for the job.
Mourinho's a sure bet when it comes to success on the pitch. Not saying I want Mou, just saying I think he's the only one that could really handle it and push us on.

Status
Not open for further replies.