Moyes To Succeed Ferguson Anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Verminator

In Moyes' time at Everton, the League cup has been won by Middlesbrough, Spurs, Birmingham and Swansea.
He once finished runner-up in the FA cup, as have Millwall, West Ham, Cardiff, Portsmouth and Stoke. Pompey even won it.

Everton are a much bigger club than many of these, so I'm not that impressed by what he has done so far.

I don't see him being a success here, and don't want him, but if he comes, I hope he turns my opinion round.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
Mourinho's a sure bet when it comes to success on the pitch. Not saying I want Mou, just saying I think he's the only one that could really handle it and push us on.
Short term success aye, but long term he's a liability and has a tendency to leave the club in a shite position. I mean look at this from our Madrid fan Vato,

I don't give a shit where he's going as long as he gets the feck out of Madrid. I'm fed up with this clown now.

Only yesterday he came out saying that as long as he is a manager for Madrid, Lopez would be in goal... Never have I seen a professional manager holding a club ransom like he is doing now at the expense of a club legend.

Then Pepe came out defending Casillas saying that Casillas wasn't the bad guy in this whole affair and Mourinho replied that Pepe said that only because he's frustrated by Varane being a better defender.

He can feck right off, seriously.
It's the sort of exit you can predict with Mourinho, he is such a dominant and decisive manager that when things start to go wrong the issues are magnified. I actually like him as a bloke and find him entertaining, but he isn't the right fit for a club like United.

He also tends to spend alot of money on players in their prime which isn't sustainable, I mean the position he left Inter in was a joke in terms of their players ages. There is very little long term investment in players who need real development and he doesn't focus on the club's youth team.

Irwinwastheking

Gimpier than Alex and Feeky
Short term success aye, but long term he's a liability and has a tendency to leave the club in a shite position. I mean look at this from our Madrid fan Vato,

It's the sort of exit you can predict with Mourinho, he is such a dominant and decisive manager that when things start to go wrong the issues are magnified. I actually like him as a bloke and find him entertaining, but he isn't the right fit for a club like United.

He also tends to spend alot of money on players in their prime which isn't sustainable, I mean the position he left Inter in was a joke in terms of their players ages. There is very little long term investment in players who need real development and he doesn't focus on the club's youth team.
but but shiny medals.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
I know mate, I'm not advocating Mourinho and it's because of all the baggage he brings. I just think he's the only one that could step straight into Fergie's shoes and deal with it.

Carl

I don't rate Moyes tbh, never have. So yeah, not been a great day. :lol:
I think he's a very good manager personally. Not as big as you'd like for a club of this size but I think he'll come in and steady the ship.

I don't anticipate winning the league again in the next couple of years (especially if Mourinho returns to Chelsea) but I expect he'll do a good job and keep us competetive.

Then if we want to change it after a couple of years it will be much easier for someone else to come in and move the club forward.

Obviously it'll be a bonus if Moyes turns out to be amazing like!

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
It's the situation that requires a big name not the club. We need someone with experience and knowledge of winning titles to secure the clubs future short term over what will be a very bumpy few years. We're seemingly going a different route and going for the unproven road which could make the bumpy few years even worse. I think it's an unwarranted risk and could easily backfire. That's not to say a big name won't also crumble under the pressure of replacing Ferguson, but its a huge, huge ask for a relatively unproven manager to take on.
Well, these are legitimate concerns. It is a risk, certainly. Sometimes you have to risk it, though. And what realistic alternatives do we have that are less risky?

I think people are overlooking something crucial here: The club (the Glazers, Gill, Charlton, Fergie not least) clearly don't want a revolution. They want a man who can carry on what Fergie has created in terms of structure and method. Perhaps they're wrong. Perhaps we should turn the whole thing upside down, try something completely different. But like it or not they obviously want to keep the basics - which in fairness seem to work fairly well. Fergie has done alright, to make the understatement of the century.

Would Mourinho, for instance, be keen on simply perpetuating Fergie's methods? I don't think so. Ancelotti? Hardly, I'd say. Would any big name be happy to have Fergie on board as a mentor of sorts? Can't really see that. Moyes would, though. Now, again, perhaps this strategy isn't the right one - perhaps the Glazers are better off forcing Fergie to retire completely, focus solely on his horses and never meddle at all. But that isn't what they have in mind - they do want him to stick around in a more hands-on role. Given this, who is better suited for the job than Moyes? That seems to be the question.

Bebe

Oh, I agree completely. Fergie had excellent results to show, the Cup Winner's Cup not least.

This thing is just going round in circles now, though. "Moyes has never won anything." "No, but he's never had a proper chance to do so either." "Yeah, but he could've at least beaten Liverpool at Anfield a couple of times." "Sure, but it proves nothing that he hasn't." And so on.

Nobody denies the man has no (major) trophies to his name. Pointing that out over and over again, however, won't change the fact that Fergie clearly sees something in him. If there's anything Fergie has excelled at over the years it's spotting potential where others couldn't. To me it means a great deal that he backs Moyes. It means a lot more than the fact Moyes hasn't won anything. He has been at Everton for more than a decade, there's not much he could have won apart from the odd cup (and that, as we have been over, isn't easy - the one cup which actually means something has been dominated almost completely by the big teams during his tenure at Goodison).

I'll repeat one final point before I go to bed: Hiring a manager is a matter of selecting the man who is best suited for the part, pure and simple. Except it ain't simple, of course. It's a gamble of sorts no matter who you go for. What it is not, however, is a matter of picking the biggest name on the list and hire him - misguidedly believing that a huge club by necessity needs to hire a huge name. Once more, look at what Barca did with Guardiola. He didn't have a trophy to his name when he put the pen to the paper. You can't win anything big unless someone has faith in you and gives you a break.

Good night.
Post of the year, well done.

Carl

Well, these are legitimate concerns. It is a risk, certainly. Sometimes you have to risk it, though. And what realistic alternatives do we have that are less risky?

I think people are overlooking something crucial here: The club (the Glazers, Gill, Charlton, Fergie not least) clearly don't want a revolution. They want a man who can carry on what Fergie has created in terms of structure and method. Perhaps they're wrong. Perhaps we should turn the whole thing upside down, try something completely different. But like it or not they obviously want to keep the basics - which in fairness seem to work fairly well. Fergie has done alright, to make the understatement of the century.

Would Mourinho, for instance, be keen on simply perpetuating Fergie's methods? I don't think so. Ancelotti? Hardly, I'd say. Would any big name be happy to have Fergie on board as a mentor of sorts? Can't really see that. Moyes would, though. Now, again, perhaps this strategy isn't the right one - perhaps the Glazers are better off forcing Fergie to retire completely, focus solely on his horses and never meddle at all. But that isn't what they have in mind - they do want him to stick around in a more hands-on role. Given this, who is better suited for the job than Moyes? That seems to be the question.
Great post mate.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
Look at the appointment of Klopp at Dortmund, he was at Mainz. A club he got promoted and relegated with in his seven years there. He didn't win anything either. Dortmund gave him the job, and it's worked absolute wonders.
Now, I'm not comparing the Manchester United job with the Borussia Dortmund job, but we can maybe take some positives from Klopp's success at Dortmund. Moyes' rise will hopefully be a bit similar.

The Neviller

I think he's a very good manager personally. Not as big as you'd like for a club of this size but I think he'll come in and steady the ship.

I don't anticipate winning the league again in the next couple of years (especially if Mourinho returns to Chelsea) but I expect he'll do a good job and keep us competetive.

Then if we want to change it after a couple of years it will be much easier for someone else to come in and move the club forward.

Obviously it'll be a bonus if Moyes turns out to be amazing like!
So this is what we're expecting from our new manager? Steady the ship a bit (we've just won the title), not expected to win anything and maybe in a few years time we'll get someone better in to move the club forward?

Well why didn't someone say something sooner? I'm officially excited now.

feck me, are we Spurs?

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
Oh, I agree completely. Fergie had excellent results to show, the Cup Winner's Cup not least.

This thing is just going round in circles now, though. "Moyes has never won anything." "No, but he's never had a proper chance to do so either." "Yeah, but he could've at least beaten Liverpool at Anfield a couple of times." "Sure, but it proves nothing that he hasn't." And so on.

Nobody denies the man has no (major) trophies to his name. Pointing that out over and over again, however, won't change the fact that Fergie clearly sees something in him. If there's anything Fergie has excelled at over the years it's spotting potential where others couldn't. To me it means a great deal that he backs Moyes. It means a lot more than the fact Moyes hasn't won anything. He has been at Everton for more than a decade, there's not much he could have won apart from the odd cup (and that, as we have been over, isn't easy - the one cup which actually means something has been dominated almost completely by the big teams during his tenure at Goodison).

I'll repeat one final point before I go to bed: Hiring a manager is a matter of selecting the man who is best suited for the part, pure and simple. Except it ain't simple, of course. It's a gamble of sorts no matter who you go for. What it is not, however, is a matter of picking the biggest name on the list and hire him - misguidedly believing that a huge club by necessity needs to hire a huge name. Once more, look at what Barca did with Guardiola. He didn't have a trophy to his name when he put the pen to the paper. You can't win anything big unless someone has faith in you and gives you a break.

Good night.
Well said.

Carl

So this is what we're expecting from our new manager? Steady the ship a bit (we've just won the title), not expected to win anything and maybe in a few years time we'll get someone better in to move the club forward?

Well why didn't someone say something sooner? I'm officially excited now.

feck me, are we Spurs?
It's a unique set of circumstances Nev. I don't think it's realistic to expect someone to come in and dominate the league and, frankly, I'm just hoping it isn't a disaster.

The Neviller

It's a unique set of circumstances Nev. I don't think it's realistic to expect someone to come in and dominate the league and, frankly, I'm just hoping it isn't a disaster.
I'm hoping that too, but surely we should be expecting more than "not being a disaster" from a Manchester United managerial appointment.

I really hope Moyes proves me wrong, he seems a decent guy and has done a superb job at Everton. If he gets this chance and takes it then fair play, but this is scary shit that we seem content with a couple of years of someone simply steadying the ship.

Carl

I'm hoping that too, but surely we should be expecting more than "not being a disaster" from a Manchester United managerial appointment.

I really hope Moyes proves me wrong, he seems a decent guy and has done a superb job at Everton. If he gets this chance and takes it then fair play, but this is scary shit that we seem content with a couple of years of someone simply steadying the ship.
By steady the ship I'm obviously referring to finishing in the top 3 and being competetive across the board. I'm just not expecting anything fantastic.

To be honest, I'd be happy with that. As I've already mentioned, I think it's a pretty impossible job.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
True, but then Liverpool fans might have said the same thing when Paisley took over.

Of course if we are looking for a Paisley type figure (someone who will continue with what works rather than try to immediately stamp their own authority on things), then Moyes might be a good bet. Really I think I agree with what Chester said, if we want someone to perpetuate SAF's methods then Moyes is as good as anyone. I just don't think that's the right way to approach getting a new manager.

Plechazunga

Grammar partisan who sleeps with a real life Ryan
Where Albert Stubbins scored a diving header

What's really annoying is that it happens to be at a time when Mourinho's probably available.

If he wasn't, I wouldn't mind a competent but uninspiring choice to keep things steady.

But as you say, hopefully Moyes has it in him.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout

I agree with what you're saying. Moyes certainly is a logical choice for keeping everything grounded, we know he's a committed man. He'll steady the ship as Carl puts it. But then part of me questions whether that's the right mentality to take. Why steady the ship when the ship itself is a battleship! Seems to me like we've decided that Moyes is a bit of a yes man, someone who will come to the club and accept how its run, the procedures and follow orders. But is that something Ferguson would do? If a Ferguson of today walked into the club, would he accept that? Or would he say, feck that. I'm the manager, you'll do as I say.

Perhaps i'm being overly harsh on Moyes. When he is confirmed as United manager i'll give him my full support for the next few seasons. But United is built on success and Moyes will be judged on his success. To blank Mourinho in the way we have I think will prove to be a very big mistake when we were given a clear opportunity to not only employ him, but take him Berba style from Chelsea. A perfect chance of strengthening yourselves and weakening the opposition.

Time will tell, I still think there might be a late twist in all of this. Who knows with United.

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
The lack of european pedigree seems to be what is making some of us uncomfortable, well me at least, about Moyes hiring. But its only natural to have doubts, it terms of character and background Moyes is almost like a younger Fergie. He will have to put a stamp on the team this summer with his transfer policy though, that is a must, and he will also have to prove he can cope with the ego that is Rooney better this time than he did the first time.

AlwaysRedwood

How many finals has moyes got to? Even Redknapp has won a trophy and Martinez has got Wigan to a final.

Moyes will be the end of United. Fergie backed mcleish, says enough about him spotting talent.
Also, sky is falling.

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
How many finals has moyes got to? Even Redknapp has won a trophy and Martinez has got Wigan to a final.

Moyes will be the end of United. Fergie backed mcleish, says enough about him spotting talent.
:lol: what the feck are you on about? Of course he is going to vouch for one of his old players. Moyes wasn't one of his old players was he?

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
The appointment of Moyes feels like no different than if we hire Hodgson, or even O'Neill, in terms of playing style. There's just nothing special in there to separate them.

fatboy

All this talk of Moyes being “cut from the same cloth” as Fergie, worries me. To me Fergie is a one-off, and goes beyond just work ethic, man-management, and being a Scotsman. I’ve nothing against Moyes, I think he’s done a great job with Everton, but I think we’re being a bit naive by thinking we’re getting more of the same by simply picking someone who seems to have the same style of management. What’s so wrong about bringing in someone has a very different style of management, if he has shown that he can bring success to a club without being an absolute cock.

We are currently in the privileged position of being able attract pretty much anyone we want, maybe with the exception of a very few high profile names tied down, or are going to be tied down at equally big clubs. I’m not sure that Moyes is the best we can come up with. Martin O’Neill was equally good at squeezing a lot out of limited players, and is rightfully admired by many, but that doesn’t mean he’s right for United either. If you want to talk about working miracles with little resources, I think even what Solskjaer has done at Molde is at least on par if not better than Moyes, and in a much shorter time.

I’m not advocating anyone in particular, I’m just not convinced the Moyes is best possible choice out there, considering the time and resources we have had at our disposal in succession planning. If he comes aboard, I’ll back him anyway and hope he’ll prove me wrong. Many people are saying that he’s a “stayer”, unlike Mourinho. Well, let’s hope he does enough to earn that stay in the first place.

NM

The appointment of Moyes feels like no different than if we hire Hodgson, or even O'Neill, in terms of playing style. There's just nothing special in there to separate them.
You have not seen a lot of Everton if you actually believe that.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
You have not seen a lot of Everton if you actually believe that.
They are on the same clothes of the type of managers that Fergie likes. O'Neill at Villa played exactly the same as Moyes Everton.

May, 2001.

Sir Alex Ferguson believes Celtic manager Martin O'Neill would be the ideal man to succeed his reign at Old Trafford.
Ferguson, who will sever all links with United at the end of next season, sees the former Leicester City manager and Northern Ireland captain as the perfect candidate for the job.

"Martin's a no-nonsense manager - just what you need at a big club. You don't mess this man around," he told the News of the World.

"Any recognition and praise that Martin gets is deserved. For him to go to Celtic and change it all around in one season is remarkable.

"I have to say I thought he would do that because he is a good organiser and a great believer in team spirit.

"He is a no-nonsense manager who is strong and has a personality and I think those qualities are important at a big club like Celtic.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/m/man_utd/1340732.stm

NM

May, 2001.

Sir Alex Ferguson believes Celtic manager Martin O'Neill would be the ideal man to succeed his reign at Old Trafford.
Ferguson, who will sever all links with United at the end of next season, sees the former Leicester City manager and Northern Ireland captain as the perfect candidate for the job.

"Martin's a no-nonsense manager - just what you need at a big club. You don't mess this man around," he told the News of the World.

"Any recognition and praise that Martin gets is deserved. For him to go to Celtic and change it all around in one season is remarkable.

"I have to say I thought he would do that because he is a good organiser and a great believer in team spirit.

"He is a no-nonsense manager who is strong and has a personality and I think those qualities are important at a big club like Celtic.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/m/man_utd/1340732.stm
Has nothing to do with your post in regards to playing style. Getting a little sick of all the posts slagging a manager before he is even confirmed.

Status
Not open for further replies.