MPs call for Uber to be stripped of its London licence

Zlatattack

You do realise that the only reason Taxi's are mostly driven by immigrants is because it's too shite a job for most of us to bother with? Make it harder for immigrants to drive taxi's and you won't suddenly get a Shakespeare quoting breed of cabbie, you'll just get less taxi's.

MPs call for company's London licence to be revoked

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
I thought that'd be an Uber specific rule what with their high standards and that. It's a daft rule, why do they need to be able to write?

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
As long as they hold a UK license, and can read and speak English, is there a problem?

I've got a full UK license and 6 years no claims, and I never had to sit a written test.

Zebs

Clare Baldings Daughter plays too much Wordscapes
Not renewed. Have 21 days to appeal.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Ridiculous. Uber is so useful.. my go to taxi service in London. Pricks.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
As long as they hold a UK license, and can read and speak English, is there a problem?

I've got a full UK license and 6 years no claims, and I never had to sit a written test.
Yeah, they let in people who sexually assault women with just those requirements.

Smores

Very predictable i imagine it'll get overturned, they need to be seen to assisting the pressure groups but in the end It'll be given its license just with some concessions

saivet

Union's pressure finally made a break through. Not sure how I feel about it, but uber's business model and way they conduct themselves has been overly aggressive.

Dobba

Who gives a shit about Uber hiding activities from taxi regulators, messing up DBS checks left right and centre or their laid-back approach to allegations made against their drivers? They're cheap and that is all that matters.

Zebs

Clare Baldings Daughter plays too much Wordscapes
Can't wait to get into John's black cab :drool:

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Uber has it's issues. The way forward would be to help them (or make them) solve those issues. But nah, can't have most people saving money and benefiting from stuff.

Dobba

Uber has it's issues. The way forward would be to help them (or make them) solve those issues. But nah, can't have most people saving money and benefiting from stuff.
They've detailed the reasons the license is being revoked and have given them time to appeal. What do you think this is about? :lol:

Unless you think giving them a strongly worded letter and relying on them to do what it says, whilst their license is protected, is the better way of showing them.

saivet

They solve their issues and they will get their licence back. A lot of their problems stem from cutting corners.

PedroMendez

Acolyte
Shock horror. Government established and protects a monopoly. Like always it gets justified by "we need to protect the people". Like always it leads to less quality for more money.

Smores

Who gives a shit about Uber hiding activities from taxi regulators, messing up DBS checks left right and centre or their laid-back approach to allegations made against their drivers? They're cheap and that is all that matters.
I think most large companies mess up all the elements you've listed, the supermarkets in particular. I also doubt many other taxi firms are that much safer. Pressure groups have simply used this to attack Uber as it suits their agenda.

If it leads to a safer service great but the government need to be careful that they aren't merely used to kill ofr competition.

The tax issue is of course part a much larger debate, sadly im pretty sure like always this isn't what the goverment are cracking down on here.

saivet

Shock horror. Government established and protects a monopoly. Like always it gets justified by "we need to protect the people". Like always it leads to less quality for more money.
I think this will help other private hire companies rather than black cabs.

To me the reactions seems to be crazy on twitter. From people thinking Uber is 'banned', that people have no other option but to get a black cab.

Uber have had continuous problems with TfL and their brass way of dealing with the regulations was not "okay, we'll do the DBS or medical checks in a more transparant route or go with your preferred way". It's been a we'll do what we want attitude.

Maybe now they are so big they thought nothing would happen. I do have some inside info on this area, but even a lot of the information in the public domain shows indications that they've had time to sort out their issues and they've largely had this coming.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
They've detailed the reasons the license is being revoked and have given them time to appeal. What do you think this is about? :lol:

Unless you think giving them a strongly worded letter and relying on them to do what it says, whilst their license is protected, is the better way of showing them.
Maybe reign in the condescension a bit.

To me the reactions seems to be crazy on twitter. From people thinking Uber is 'banned', that people have no other option but to get a black cab.
It's because there are a number of articles that make it sound that way. One that I've read obviously did, instead of giving further info that Dobba so kindly alludes to.
Blame clickbait and sensationalism. Also the reader not looking into stuff more, but they shouldn't have to for facts.

saivet

It's because there are a number of articles that make it sound that way. One that I've read obviously did, instead of giving further info that Dobba so kindly alludes to.
Blame clickbait and sensationalism. Also the reader not looking into stuff more, but they shouldn't have to for facts.
Definitely. It's something that annoys me but I just have to get used to it.

Here's the statement for those interested

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24
It might be somewhat unusual these days for a well known and large company to be so publicly reprimanded, but TfL is giving Uber a second chance here. They can become a more responsible provider of services and improve their reputation in the bargain.

And contrary to an earlier reply, London has no shortage of private taxi firms, so this isn't just about the traditional black cab.

Very predictable i imagine it'll get overturned, they need to be seen to assisting the pressure groups but in the end It'll be given its license just with some concessions
This. People wont accept the black cab racket any more, the last time they threatened Uber hundreds of thousands of people signed petitions in their support.

NinjaFletch

I guess the issue is is that I don't buy that cabbies are significantly better on any of these issues. Über is a bit shitty and can do better, but Black Cabs are equally as shitty.

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24
As the statement which @saivet posted details, this has evolved beyond the initial Uber vs black cab debate. There are genuine and serious reasons for this threat to their license, and it falls on Uber to make improvements. The Met's statements are probably what tipped this decision IMO.

Most people i know see a role for both (as well as the reliable local firm), it really all depends. If you're short or time and need to get somewhere in the central London PDQ, a driver who actually knows the streets is a help. Throw in a sudden downpour as was the case when we went to the Globe in August, and that's decision made.

George Owen

LEAVE THE SFW THREAD ALONE!!1!
Good! Uber sucks.

I prefer Cabify. Better cars, and you always know what you gonna pay before stepping into the car, while Uber always has that dynamic crap.

If they don't comply with the law and regulations, they can feck off.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
As the statement which @saivet posted details, this has evolved beyond the initial Uber vs black cab debate. There are genuine and serious reasons for this threat to their license, and it falls on Uber to make improvements. The Met's statements are probably what tipped this decision IMO.

Most people i know see a role for both (as well as the reliable local firm), it really all depends. If you're short or time and need to get somewhere in the central London PDQ, a driver who actually knows the streets is a help. Throw in a sudden downpour as was the case when we went to the Globe in August, and that's decision made.
I rate black cabbies too. I've had a number of Uber drivers blindly follow their satnavs and take stupid routes that will obviously run into stacks of traffic.
A good cabbie will avoid these roads and explain the route he is taking.
Uber is useful, but press yesterday, like one of its drivers turning up at Buckingham Palace brandishing a samurai sword doesn't help its reputation on oversight.