Mykhaylo Mudryk

soapythecat

Give the lad chance to settle. Writing a young player off after a few months in a new country is ridiculous. From bits I’ve seen, I reckon he’ll be a good player next season. Bit of confidence and he could be a real menace. Let’s see.

SAFMUTD

Not looking good for Chelsea, but still early days. Chelsea is so disjointed currently that it's hard to judge individual performances at this point.

Bertie Wooster

I think he's quite a talented and exciting player who should prove to be a good signing - although not helped in the short term by a number of factors: 22 year old who's never played at a foreign club before, and arriving at a club who are in a bit of turmoil and with a large transfer fee and huge contract length increasing the scrutiny, expectations and pressure on him to hit the ground running.

I was impressed whenever I saw him for Shakhtar and Ukraine and, ability wise, the kind of player I'd be delighted for us to sign. The huge fee, and the fact that he's another player happier coming in from the left, meant there was no actual need for us to be going for him. But not surprised to see him get his move and fully expect to see him performing well for them at some point.

marktan

I only ever watched him in the WC play off Vs Scotland last year and he looked very raw. It's hard to imagine he became a £70m player a year later off the back of some goals in the Ukrainian league.

Bertie Wooster

I only ever watched him in the WC play off Vs Scotland last year and he looked very raw. It's hard to imagine he became a £70m player a year later off the back of some goals in the Ukrainian league.
I guess you could make similar points about Antony and his high transfer fee based on goals in Holland.

I think in both cases the fee is more reflective of the selling club knowing the buying club badly wanted the player and could be pushed to pay an OTT fee in order to secure raw but talented 22 year olds. The fees may be excessive given both players are still works in progress, but both clubs prepared to pay it to secure young(ish) players with the potential to fulfil that transfer fee in the coming seasons.

izak

Supports
Glory Glory Red Devils
How many matches has he played for Chelsea without a goal or assist?

mav_9me

No one in this Chelsea team can be judged right now. Our situation should make that clear.

Buxton

Supports
Arsenal
How many matches has he played for Chelsea without a goal or assist?
Played 6 got 0 and 0
Was meant to be the ballon dor winning certainty, that would walk into the arsenal team and replace Martinelli.
In the last 4 games Martinelli has 4 goals, Chelsea have 1

izak

Supports
Glory Glory Red Devils
Played 6 got 0 and 0
Was meant to be the ballon dor winning certainty, that would walk into the arsenal team and replace Martinelli.
In the last 4 games Martinelli has 4 goals, Chelsea have 1
One more game so he can be 007 then

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Very harsh. He's far from shite but his value is much less than what he was bought for that's for sure given his limited matches for Ukraine and Shakhtar.

He also got advised so badly by agents who probably got way more money by him signing for Chelsea over Arsenal, where they had a proper game plan for him and we'd be seeing a better player.
I’m pretty sure that he & his agents had little to do with it. According to most reports, Shakhtar accepted only Chelsea’s superior offer, leaving Mudryk with a choice of either staying or going to Chelsea (while Arsenal was his own preference).

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
For people that have watched both Golovin and Mudryk, how do they compare?

When Golovin joined Monaco two things were obvious, he was a skilled Footballer with good but not great physical attributes but was also very raw tactically. The later leads to two obvious issues, inconsistency and also a difficulty to find a role for the player.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
Not sure if it is possible for Arsenal to do a loan to buy deal on Mudryk if Chelsea decides he is not a right fit for their system in the end of the season.

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
Not sure if it is possible for Arsenal to do a loan to buy deal on Mudryk if Chelsea decides he is not a right fit for their system in the end of the season.
Seems pretty doable if they pay his full wages during the loan and the option to buy is around 30M which is his real value.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020

When Golovin joined Monaco two things were obvious, he was a skilled Footballer with good but not great physical attributes but was also very raw tactically. The later leads to two obvious issues, inconsistency and also a difficulty to find a role for the player.
Golovkin looked such a classy player. There was another Russian, Dzagoev? Who was rated highly but never left CSKA Moscow

BenitoSTARR

Scout
Supports
⭐

Golovkin looked such a classy player. There was another Russian, Dzagoev? Who was rated highly but never left CSKA Moscow
Mudryk is a completely different type of player but he’s better than them both for me.

He’s playing in a ridiculously dysfunctional Chelsea side but he will come good. He’s technically very good he just needs to be played the right kind of passes into him not so he’s got his back to defenders all the time.

Demyanenko_square_jaw

I don't think there is a lot to compare the two players beyond some broad comparisons like both coming from ex-ussr system leagues that used to have some of the same issues for developing players, both players with a lot of possible development in front of them (especially tactically, as you say), or going to clubs that are struggling/began to fall apart for a time. Though i get where the question is coming from with Ukrainian/Russian football's shared league heritage, maybe not the best time to be drawing ultimately quite arbitrary comparisons between Ukrainians and Russians either.

Mudryk's so far is a quite focused, modern cut-inside wide-attacking player in style, with some obviously excellent elite level physical attributes. The things to overcome for him to succeed at this level, besides all the usual on and off the pitch intangibles needed, seem to me to be revolving around refining (technically and especially tactically) an already quite defined style. Scouts interested in him were most likely already thinking of him in terms of a new Bale/Robben.

Golovin at cska was much more an undefined generalist prospect that looked like he could possibly develop into being a high level player in various different positional roles: centre/side midfield workhorse with good technique, maybe eventually more of a playmaking 8/10 Modric/Eriksen style, or if his passing didn't improve much, then a dribbling/workrate focused Kovacic/Dembele type midfielder. I think the reason he drew attention from big league clubs quickly ( even before the world cup) was because of that malleability; he was doing a wide variety of technical things on a solid to very good level for his age , and he was doing it with the high workrate and willingness to press that was becoming more essential. The issues facing him moving to better leagues were different...how many of those skills would keep improving? would he end up just settling into being a jack of all trades, or an average/good but not elite player in one of those possible roles where he was showing talent? Does he have the footballing brain to bring quite a wide skillset under efficient control (especially in central areas) at a higher level and properly develop it? He was more experienced/proven than Mudryk is right now, but still only really had the one good season behind him at the lower top ten sort of level the rpl was back then.

I'd also slightly disagree on the physical attributes side of it, he was showing great workrate and a lot of willingness to get stuck in at cska (and has kept that up at Monaco), but there were definitely questions around his ability to cope physically (especially long term) with his high tempo style if he moved to fast paced, more contact lenient England/Germany/France instead of Spain/Italy, or even just longer term in Russian league. He wasn't exactly a strong player, or a particularly fast one despite his agility and balance. Those questions have turned out to be well founded, as he quickly became injury-prone, even missing half of a season at one point. it's only in this season he's been regularly completing near 90 minutes, with Clement saying they put him on a new, specifically optimised training regime to try and get him up to a durability level able to complete consistent full games.

Last edited:

JPRouve

Scout
I don't think there is a lot to compare the two players beyond some broad comparisons like both coming from ex-ussr system leagues that used to have some of the same issues for developing players, both players with a lot of possible development in front of them (especially tactically, as you say), or going to clubs that are struggling/began to fall apart for a time.

Mudryk's so far is a quite focused, modern cut-inside wide-attacking player in style, with some obviously excellent elite level physical attributes. The things to overcome for him to succeed at this level, besides all the usual on and off the pitch intangibles needed, seem to me to be revolving around refining (technically and especially tactically) an already quite defined style. Scouts interested in him were most likely already thinking of him in terms of a new Bale/Robben.

Golovin at cska was much more an undefined generalist prospect that looked like he could possibly develop into being a high level player in various different positional roles: centre/side midfield workhorse with good technique, maybe eventually more of a playmaking 8/10, or a dribbling/workrate focused Kovacic/Dembele type midfielder. I think the reason he drew attention from big league clubs quickly ( even before the world cup) was because of that malleability; he was doing a wide variety of technical things on a solid to very good level for his age , and he was doing it with the high workrate and willingness to press that was becoming more essential. The issues facing him moving to better leagues were different...how many of those skills would keep improving? would he end up just settling into being a jack of all trades, or an average/good but not elite player in one of those possible roles where he was showing talent? Does he have the footballing brain to bring quite a wide skillset under efficient control (especially in central areas) at a higher level and properly develop it? He was more experienced than Mudryk is right now, but still only really had the one good season behind him at the lower top ten sort of level the rpl was back then.

I'd also slightly disagree on the physical attributes side of it, he was showing great workrate and a lot of willingness to get stuck in at cska (and has kept that up at Monaco), but there were definitely questions around his ability to cope physically (especially long term) with his high tempo style if he moved to fast paced, more contact lenient England/Germany/France instead of Spain/Italy, or even just longer term in Russian league. He wasn't exactly a strong player, or a particularly fast one despite his agility and balance. Those questions have turned out to be well founded, as he quickly became injury-prone, even missing half of a season at one point. it's only in this season he's been regularly completing near 90 minutes, with Clement saying they put him on a new, specifically optimised training regime to try and get him up to a durability level able to complete consistent full games.
In other words, you completely agreee with me he is a good but not great athlete which is an issue when you consider that he has been more comfortable as an attacking midfielder and specifically wide. He plays at a good level but his lack of tactical acumen means that he can't compensate for his lack of burst, his agility is decent but not remarkable and the same applies to his agility.

And the reason I asked about Golovin is because he is an example of a player that was hyped up, didn't really fulfil the hype but is clearly a good footballer.

BenitoSTARR

Scout
Supports
⭐
In other words, you completely agreee with me he is a good but not great athlete which is an issue when you consider that he has been more comfortable as an attacking midfielder and specifically wide. He plays at a good level but his lack of tactical acumen means that he can't compensate for his lack of burst, his agility is decent but not remarkable and the same applies to his agility.

And the reason I asked about Golovin is because he is an example of a player that was hyped up, didn't really fulfil the hype but is clearly a good footballer.
Mudryk has the exact gifts a top winger in the PL would want physically. Blistering pace and a great engine. His technique is also good despite operating at high speed and he has an eye for a pass that has so far gone unnoticed despite clever cut backs.

Golovin has been very well described by the above poster but I’d be very surprised if Mudryk doesn’t come good especially given the obvious physical advantages he has.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea

In terms of physical attributes, it's pretty clear that Mudryk blows Golovin out of the water.

Michael “Mike” Michelson

Supports
Arsenal
I’m pretty sure that he & his agents had little to do with it. According to most reports, Shakhtar accepted only Chelsea’s superior offer, leaving Mudryk with a choice of either staying or going to Chelsea (while Arsenal was his own preference).
I thought the opposite was true. Both bids were accepted and Mudryk went to Chelsea for his love of them.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff

I'm not even sure how you'd compare the two since they're so different.
His engine is pretty good, especially when he's in form. But he's obviously in another universe to Mudryk in terms of athleticism.

I thought the opposite was true. Both bids were accepted and Mudryk went to Chelsea for his love of them.
No. Arsenal's bid was around the same overall amount as Chelsea but it was differently structured in terms of bonuses & payment schedule. Shakhtar refused Arsenal's offer, Chelsea swooped in and signed him on more favorable (to Shakhtar) terms.

JPRouve

Scout

His engine is pretty good, especially when he's in form. But he's obviously in another universe to Mudryk in terms of athleticism.

No. Arsenal's bid was around the same overall amount as Chelsea but it was differently structured in terms of bonuses & payment schedule. Shakhtar refused Arsenal's offer, Chelsea swooped in and signed him on more favorable (to Shakhtar) terms.
Players don't have to be similar to compare their situations or explain their potential shortcomings. In this case I mentioned Golovin because I know that he has qualities but I also know that his shortcoming was big enough to not allow him an easy transition.

My question wasn't really about comparing them stylistically which is why I explicitely mentioned why Golovin didn't fulfil his hype and wondered if it could be a similar issue with Mudryk a player that has obvious qualities and also an obvious flaw.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea

Arsenal’s bonuses were very difficult to obtain.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
Yeah, I think people are being harsh on Mudryk so far. If he signed for Arsenal he wouldn't be coming in as a guaranteed starter, he'd be getting eased in all the while getting his fitness and the tactical understanding side of the game worked on in the background. As others have stated, throwing a young lad in from the Ukrainian League, who hadn't played for a while, into a team still searching for any sort of rhythm or identity was a lot to ask.

I don't blame Potter for taking him out the team for a while just to take him out the front line for a while.

terraloo

Supports
Chelsea
Yeah, I think people are being harsh on Mudryk so far. If he signed for Arsenal he wouldn't be coming in as a guaranteed starter, he'd be getting eased in all the while getting his fitness and the tactical understanding side of the game worked on in the background. As others have stated, throwing a young lad in from the Ukrainian League, who hadn't played for a while, into a team still searching for any sort of rhythm or identity was a lot to ask.

I don't blame Potter for taking him out the team for a while just to take him out the front line for a while.
100% agree.

What so many seem to forget that most footballers transferring into clubs in another country are basically still kids. Mudryk is 22 the significant majority of the players that Chelsea have purchased in the two windows are under 24 and will need time to adjust.
The trouble with many many supporters when jumping to conclusions about a transfer in is that they have no idea how difficult it is to uproot even from one part of the UK to another let alone from a different country.
Players need to be happy to perform at the top of their game and these youngsters often have to uproot from a family environment almost overnight and it’s several months until they are settled into their own property with either their partners and young families or with an older family member such as Mum or Dad

Chelsea without doubt have had a dreadful season and yes the squad looks all over the place but the injuries we have suffered this season has been staggering the absence of players like Kante for in effect 3/4 of the season has been significant.
Game after game another player was absent so many in fact i must have been near impossible for many of the new players to be given any time whatsoever to settle in before being blooded

Of course some players just flop that’s football and of course players with a big price tag will be of greater focus but to the majority of Chelsea supporters it will have been obvious that we needed a rebuild the squad was aging , players we didn’t want to leave left on frees but as I mentioned injuries have been our main problem this season

Last edited:

BalanceUnAutreJoint

I think he'll come good eventuallly but that transfer fee was still way too high for someone playing in the Ukrainian league

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
Far too early to write him off. At the same time, the last couple months have revealed some huge gaps in his game in terms of tactical understanding, movement in and out of possession, and defensive work rate. All of that can be improved with time and good coaching but he is really raw and the odds of him improving all of that quickly enough to eventually be a top five winger/wide forward in the world (as some people were saying he was destined to be) are really small given the number of talented young players at that position around Europe, a number of whom are actually younger than him while being far more polished and impactful.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
Far too early to write him off. At the same time, the last couple months have revealed some huge gaps in his game in terms of tactical understanding, movement in and out of possession, and defensive work rate. All of that can be improved with time and good coaching but he is really raw and the odds of him improving all of that quickly enough to eventually be a top five winger/wide forward in the world (as some people were saying he was destined to be) are really small given the number of talented young players at that position around Europe, a number of whom are actually younger than him while being far more polished and impactful.
I firmly believe if he joins Arsenal instead of Chelsea back in January we won't have this discussion. Just like what Goonerbear said in the above.

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
I firmly believe if he joins Arsenal instead of Chelsea back in January we won't have this discussion. Just like what Goonerbear said in the above.
Yeah, I broadly agree with that although I think he might have just not played very much.

He really needs some good coaching and clear tactical instruction because when the game is unstructured he just looks lost out there much of the time.

Il_Cecchino

Supports
Hellas Verona
Incredibile speed. But average first touch and technique. Overrated.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
another hype job. overrated overpriced 100m foreign player

Joel Miller

It’s hilarious to think of the money Chelsea have spent on him. Just a speed merchant

Buxton

Supports
Arsenal
Bullet well and truly dodged . Would’ve been Arteta’s biggest mistake yet

marktan

He looked really raw when I watched him this time last year in the WC play off against Scotland.

It blew my mind that he supposedly got that much better in half a season to warrant a £70m fee.

Of all Boehlys signings, only Enzo and João have really improved the first XI Tuchel had.

Chief123

He’s a Bellion 2.0. Chelsea have been completely mugged off by Shakhtar.