Nani

Status
Not open for further replies.

VanCurny20

All these littl ladyboys who quoted me, play in the caf clash of clans clan with me, they agreed ingame to all quote me and disagree.
And they are all wrong obviously, especially @Varun who started it :D
So basically a waste of time.

Ferguson

Surely we can do better. Nani is at the right level in the Turkish league where his defensive frailties and poor decision making won't matter.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Each one is quality, it's amazing

Amazing. My top 5 would be....

5. The Faux FK v Spurs and Gomes
4. The Chip v Arsenal
3. The 2nd goal v Pool in 08
2. Backheel flick v Bayern
1. The charity shield 1st v City. One of the sexiest goals in United history.

caisenma

I ♥ Adnan
This has to be a joke... first Ashley Young is told he's in Mourinho's plans now bringing Nani back at 29? feck me.

Is there nobody else available to buy?

gav81

My knee-jerk reaction was to write-off the idea, then I considered it a little more...

If Nani were to return to United it could be a master stroke by Mourinho. He mentioned he wanted to forget the last three seasons and this is exactly a way of achieving it; by bringing in an Alex Ferguson player who has not been tainted by the Moyes or van Gaal tenures.

I haven't forgotten the many good games he had for United – on occasions he was exciting to watch and could be a match winner. In the two seasons in which he made most Premier League appearances, Nani had a record better than 1 goal in every 4 league games and good assist figures too. Since being given the same playing opportunity at Fenerbache he is back at that level.

I have heard some say 'let's bring back Anderson and Djemba-Djemba too' though the difference is those two players were perhaps not so talented or influential for United and are not currently showing good form. I have also heard the opinion that he is not a Mourinho type player but I disagree as I remember Nani would do a job tracking back to cover his full-back. Although it might not be the 'Galactico' some would like, Nani is certainly an upgrade on what we have - more skilled than Lingard and more consistent than Memphis.

I'm sure Nani would be thrilled to be back at United working under his countryman who would get the best from him. We need a right-winger, and at 29 years of age, with 230 appearances for United, nearly 100 Portugal caps, four Premier League titles and a Champions League medal, I think Nani would be a fantastic solution, a link to past glory days and a player the younger members of our squad would look up to.

Personally I haven't been sold on Mourinho, but if he makes this move I would be impressed.

Dreadnought

Good move. Now get Greening and Chadwick back too. On a serious note, I am not against this idea. He is an upgrade on every winger we have at the club at the moment, bar Martial who isn't a winger anyway.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Everything else notwithstanding, I've never seen Nani as a plausible squad player (which is what some think he'd be, it seems). I always saw him as a player who would either cement his place in the starting XI, becoming more consistent and removing all doubt (so to speak) - or not, in which he case he'd be better off moving on.

Having him around as some sort of impact player never seemed on to me. He's not the type, for my money. In theory, he'd be great in that role: An unpredictable trickster you can throw on to turn a match around - but in practice I don't think he'd ever work in that capacity.

TheSpaceman

One portion of one season out of what 6-7 seasons? Hardly backs up your argument for him being good enough. He always flattered to deceive.
I'd argue that he was more than good enough for all of 2010-12, so the better part of 3 seasons. 07-08 can probably be chalked up to being young and new, but definitely agree after that 2011-12 season his performances flattered to deceive, as you say.

stevoc

The day we start buying 29-year olds from Fenerbahce is the day I´ll finally realise our glory days are gone. Just when my optimism is on the rise, something like this will really throw a spanner in the works.

Exciting player for sure, but far far from the player we should aim for if we aspire to win the PL or CL
Mourinho signed a 36 year old from Galatasaray and won the league that year.

Ferguson signed a 35 year old from Helsingborg and won the league that year.

Some signings are just a means to an end, an opportunity arises to fill a need in a squad short term.

Having said that this one is most likely bullshit anyway.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
My knee-jerk reaction was to write-off the idea, then I considered it a little more...

If Nani were to return to United it could be a master stroke by Mourinho. He mentioned he wanted to forget the last three seasons and this is exactly a way of achieving it; by bringing in an Alex Ferguson player who has not been tainted by the Moyes or van Gaal tenures.

I haven't forgotten the many good games he had for United – on occasions he was exciting to watch and could be a match winner. In the two seasons in which he made most Premier League appearances, Nani had a record better than 1 goal in every 4 league games and good assist figures too. Since being given the same playing opportunity at Fenerbache he is back at that level.

I have heard some say 'let's bring back Anderson and Djemba-Djemba too' though the difference is those two players were perhaps not so talented or influential for United and are not currently showing good form. I have also heard the opinion that he is not a Mourinho type player but I disagree as I remember Nani would do a job tracking back to cover his full-back. Although it might not be the 'Galactico' some would like, Nani is certainly an upgrade on what we have - more skilled than Lingard and more consistent than Memphis.

I'm sure Nani would be thrilled to be back at United working under his countryman who would get the best from him. We need a right-winger, and at 29 years of age, with 230 appearances for United, nearly 100 Portugal caps, four Premier League titles and a Champions League medal, I think Nani would be a fantastic solution, a link to past glory days and a player the younger members of our squad would look up to.

Personally I haven't been sold on Mourinho, but if he makes this move I would be impressed.
Good post.

stevoc

I'd argue that he was more than good enough for all of 2010-12, so the better part of 3 seasons. 07-08 can probably be chalked up to being young and new, but definitely agree after that 2011-12 season his performances flattered to deceive, as you say.
He wasn't bad at all in 2011-12 for most of it, then he was on the receiving end of a horror tackle from Carragher which effectively ended his season. 2012-13 Ferguson pretty much froze him out until march/april because of his contract wrangle. And then came Moyes, everyone was shit under Moyes. Van Gaal loaned him out so we could sign the mighty Rojo. (what a great deal that was)

He was always a confidence player who needed a run in the side to get into form, such a player would never excel in those circumstances. So it's little wonder he failed to recapture his form from 2009-2011.

donkeyfish

Mourinho signed a 36 year old from Galatasaray and won the league that year.

Ferguson signed a 35 year old from Helsingborg and won the league that year.

Some signings are just a means to an end, an opportunity arises to fill a need in a squad short term.

Having said that this one is most likely bullshit anyway.
Maybe I´ll have to eat my words here, Drogba is a good point. Henke Larsson was a 10-week loan, so not that comparable - although in line with the argument of means to an end.

For this specific case though, I still think Nanis potential to fill a need in our squad is lacking. It would be a step in the wrong direction, adding another player thats good but not great.

stevoc

Maybe I´ll have to eat my words here, Drogba is a good point. Henke Larsson was a 10-week loan, so not that comparable - although in line with the argument of means to an end.

For this specific case though, I still think Nanis potential to fill a need in our squad is lacking. It would be a step in the wrong direction, adding another player thats good but not great.
Can't say i totally disagree mate, i wouldn't be against him coming back if i'm honest. I always liked Nani exciting player who i enjoyed watching, and one who i thought was poorly handled by Ferguson towards the end and Dave and Van Gaal. Having said that though i could see it being backward step for us, he's left and thats that.

Him returning would only potentially take playing time away from Depay, Januzaj and Rasford.

Aki_United

Was really disappointed when he left. Was a bad move by LvG, cash + Nani for Rojo. Nani was one of my favourite players here, had many great games. But I think we have to look forward now, why bring back old players like Dortmund? Could help us, but I think we should look for a new player for this position. Would not be angry if he returns though.

AbusementPark

Operates the Unfairest Wheel
Hasn't Mourinho declared he wont sign any player from Portugal, either playing in the Portuguese league itself or any player who is Portuguese playing elsewhere?

Rules out Andre Gomes, Nani and Joao Mario. If its just the Portuguese league then is it possible we wont be able to get Gaitan? That would be a mistake by Mourinho and he should go.

Nick.

Hasn't Mourinho declared he wont sign any player from Portugal, either playing in the Portuguese league itself or any player who is Portuguese playing elsewhere?

Rules out Andre Gomes, Nani and Joao Mario. If its just the Portuguese league then is it possible we wont be able to get Gaitan? That would be a mistake by Mourinho and he should go.
He said he wont sign from the Portugese League, not Portugese players.

itso 7

This has to be a joke... first Ashley Young is told he's in Mourinho's plans now bringing Nani back at 29? feck me.

Is there nobody else available to buy?
It was stupidity on LVG's part to sell him off given our wing options. Depending on how much we have to sign him for then I'm all for it because he is better than anything we have on the right, won't demand ridiculous wages and his versatility means that we will have cover for three positions - in the event that Rashford is out we can play Martial as striker and play Nani on the left, natural cover for Martial and as of now an undisputed starter on the right. Its a deal that makes sense because in signing him we'd not be expecting a CR7 incarnate but a highly productive player that will provide balance and an edge to the right side of our attack.

mungy

I am a terrible poster, please ignore me
highly productive player that will provide balance and an edge to the right side of our attack.
Just wondering how you came up with this assumption? Can't be from his performances at United or since he left.

Big big backwards step if we even consider signing him.

AbusementPark

He said he wont sign from the Portugese League, not Portugese players.
That's why I had a question mark after it as it wasn't very clear. ESPN reported it as he wont sign anyone from the Portuguese league but still mentioned all the Portuguese players in other leagues.

itso 7

Just wondering how you came up with this assumption? Can't be from his performances at United or since he left.

Big big backwards step if we even consider signing him.
He had a tough couple of years before he was loaned out, granted but on form he was amongst our most productive players. On my phone right now so I can't post his overall figures but from 2010-12 he did very well for us.
Get me right, if we sign him its not to bring in the future of United or a key player to make up the core of the side but an option which is currently better than anything we can put up on the right and whose versatility gives us cover for the LW too.

AbusementPark

He had a tough couple of years before he was loaned out, granted but on form he was amongst our most productive players. On my phone right now so I can't post his overall figures but from 2010-12 he did very well for us.
Get me right, if we sign him its not to bring in the future of United or a key player to make up the core of the side but an option which is currently better than anything we can put up on the right and whose versatility gives us cover for the LW too.
Man utd stats:

41goals and 52 assist (in all competition)
After CR7 go to madrid(2009-2013) 4 years :
32 goals and 42 assist (in all competition)
Portugal stats :
12 goals and 11 assist(in euro and WC including qualify campain)
After cristiano ronaldo leave, nani is our most important player.
7 goals, 9 assist(2009/10), 10 goals, 15 assist(2010/11), 12 goals, 13 assist(2011/12), 3 goals, 5 assist(2012/13)

Borrowed this info from another United forum of his stats, contributing 25 goals to the team over 2 successive seasons. Season after that he wasn't involved too much due to contractual issues. Then in came Moyes and LVG and as most think its a step backwards I always enjoyed Nani playing and wouldn't be against his return.

United Pro

Surely this chat is going nowhere? Nani is almost £30 years old and we sold him for around £4m last year. To buy him for more a year later after a mediocre season would be laughable. Perhaps we shouldn't have sold him in the first place, but we should move on. It's not like he's Pogba and has got his peak years to come. Either way, the article that started this thread was from turkish-football.com and I'm fairly sure they're not reliable.

Gopher Brown

He had half a good season in 7 years. An extremely frustrating player and even if he'd never played for us, we still shouldn't sign him. The fact that we know what he's like means we'd be fools to re-sign.

AbusementPark

He had half a good season in 7 years. An extremely frustrating player and even if he'd never played for us, we still shouldn't sign him. The fact that we know what he's like means we'd be fools to re-sign.
In 2 consecutive seasons he contributed to 25 goals in each season.

Bit better than half a good season:
10 goals, 15 assist(2010/11)
12 goals, 13 assist(2011/12)

Litch

When you consider some of the players that have gone through the door for absolute peanuts against who we've brought in, is an absolute joke. We had absolute zero upgrades 'like for like'. The other issue is the experience that went also. Not sure Nani but for the money, sounds like a plan....

Gopher Brown

In 2 consecutive seasons he contributed to 25 goals in each season.

Bit better than half a good season:
10 goals, 15 assist(2010/11)
12 goals, 13 assist(2011/12)
You've got me there. However, his inconsistency was very frustrating over his career with us.

AbusementPark

You've got me there. However, his inconsistency was very frustrating over his career with us.
Yea have to definitely agree with his consistency levels. I wouldn't mind him coming back as I think he would be a better option to anything else we have for the RW at present. Don't know who else is available that we could get in to do a job, just hope he carries his form from Fenerbache with him if it happens.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
He was immense that game, didn't put a foot wrong all game, absolutely destroyed their defence. He was special when he was in the mood.
Welbeck more or less open the lane for Nani to run through by running wide and forcing Lescott vacate the area. Brilliant stuff.

Norris

That goal was such a thing of beauty. Wasn't the only one either. I remember him doing something similar again against Chelsea I think.

dogwithabone

Watching those goals from Nani really brings it back how good a side we were playing great free flowing football. Nani or not I just want to see that uninhibited football back.

Status
Not open for further replies.