g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Film Napoleon (Dir. Ridley Scott)

RedDevilQuebecois

I love me some historical epics. Too bad so many of the kiddos these days don't care for them. I remember going to see Gladiator in the theatre with my dad and still one of my favorite movie watching experiences. I also love the older stuff like A Bridge Too Far, Hunt for the Red October, etc. I even loved Kingdom of Heaven (esp the Director's Cut).

Trailer looks good. I hope he takes the traditional approach of focusing primarily on a segment of his life with flashbacks rather than trying the Alexander approach and trying to fit his entire life span in the running time.
Oh, yes, I'm such a sucker for historical epics too. This movie is already on my list as a must watch event.

Having watched the trailer, we definitely will cover at least 21 years of Napoleon's life from the Siege of Toulon (1793) to Waterloo (1814). The production pictures we saw of Napoleon charging on horseback and now the scene depicted in the trailer must be about the Battle of Marengo (1800), which is interesting since the working title for the movie was originally Marengo. Regardless, the ice incident at Austerlitz (1805) is already certified to be epic with all the buzz going on about the scene.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
The King is a decent little film by Michod, who's work I tend to enjoy. Thought Pattinson was miscast though. Horribly hammed up performance from a otherwise good performer.
Someone like Xavier Dolan would've been a better pick for that role.

RoyH1

I don't expect too much historical accuracy but it looks like it will be entertaining blockbuster if the pacing is right.

Phil Jones Face

Have you seen The King on Netflix? Not quite an epic but it wasn't terrible.
The King is a decent little film by Michod, who's work I tend to enjoy. Thought Pattinson was miscast though. Horribly hammed up performance from a otherwise good performer.
Someone like Xavier Dolan would've been a better pick for that role.
Is the King worth perserveering with? As a history nerd, I watched about 20 mins and cringed so hard I had to turn it off and never picked it up again.
I love Phoenix but I think you might be right. Napoleon was emotional and charismatic afaik. Phoenix seems really restrained in this. I'd probably still enjoy it.

I'm only starting to look into him but I think you're right. There's a load of figures around the periphery of this period who are really interesting. Castlereagh, Metternich and von Clausewitz are all people I'd like to learn more about.
I watched the 1970's Waterloo epic again a few months back. Steiger was pretty brooding and melancholic in that film too. Though if memory serves me correct, Napoleon was ill in the battle, so probably accurate.

I think (hope) Phoenix will be a good fit.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Spielberg doing it for HBO. I thought apple plus tv had him snapped up and then i thought his production company did a deal with netflix.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Skeptical. Ridley Scott knows he comprimises when he makes blockbusters, but when he gets it right he is among the best, living, to do it. He has craft to his work, in truth, that most blockbuster makers do not have (even his crap ones have some kind of redeeming feature to them).

Just being fairly well read up on Napoleon, and the French Revolutionary period, and the Wars, thereafter, I'm not sure any director living, barring Kubrick (past), is going to get this right. That Russian epic, eight hours, is the only thing that approximates it. War and Peace (if you have a week to spare, it's worth watching). That's the scale of it, imo, if you're making a serious character study. Lord of the Rings without the over-the-top mythology. 15 years of war and 15 years of revolutionary ferment and action which precedes it (in various phases). Just cannot tell that story in 3 hours or 4 hours. Even documentarians will seriously struggle.

Ken Burns, over ten hours, would get it right as per the American Civil war documentary he made. It requires that kind of treatment. Just not really blockbuster stuff. Kubrick's Barry Lyndon is an example of how to do a character study of this kind with the scale implied. Doctor Zhivago. Others. But it's rare that it all comes together. Paths of Glory, Apocalypse Now, Deer Hunter. FFC/SC knew how to do it. (Spartacus for added depth). (Lean too, masterful at it: Lawrence of Arabia, Bridge on the River Kwai, D.Z. mentioned). That's the gold standard in war film character studies.
Gotta say I disagree with most of this. I feel you're conflating what you're hoping to see (which is basically a documentary) and the cinematographic project which doesn't have to strive for historical completeness. It might be a character piece on Napoleon, in which case the movie format is absolutely fine to achieve that.
A film about the French? No thanks.
He was Corsican.
For you information, another Napoleon epic is coming out in 2024. A seven-part series by Steven Spielberg and HBO. It's been in the works for seven years and has been written and produced based on Spielberg having full access to all Kubrick's research, notes and screenplay outlines.
This sounds amazing too.

Phoenix is always incredible and honestly I can’t think of anyone better for this than Scott.
:lol:
Phoenix is miscast but it looks better than I expected.
How is he miscast?
Vin Diesel wants to produce a trilogy about Hannibal, however, he's struggling to get it off the ground. State of the industry doesn't like historic epics. Cnuts.
He's probably struggling cos he's an awful actor and no production company would want to take a punt on something of this scale with him.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
I don't know that this is strictly speaking on topic but I was reminded of it earlier and I really feel more people should see it.

neverdie

I feel you're conflating what you're hoping to see (which is basically a documentary) and the cinematographic project which doesn't have to strive for historical completeness. It might be a character piece on Napoleon, in which case the movie format is absolutely fine to achieve that.
That's fair enough, but surely you see the difference between Gladiator, a great film in its own right, and Paths of Glory (you are a film-buff, so you might be as Ebert and judge it within its own particular release/market niche, which is fine, too).

Herman Toothrot

No. He's producing both a new Alien movie and TV show based on the popular horror franchise. The new Alien film Romulus will be directed by Fede Álvarez, director of the 2013 Evil Dead re-imagining , The Girl in a Spider's Web and recently Don't Breathe.
The Alien TV show on the other-hand will be helmed by Fargo TV show creator Noah Hawley.

Concept Art for the Alien TV show :

Fede Álvarez's Alien Romulus is reportedly set between Ridley's original (ALIEN) and James Cameron's (ALIENS) action blockbuster sequel.
With the film staring a young cast.
That's not a name that fills me with much confidence.

Rooney in Paris

Scout
That's fair enough, but surely you see the difference between Gladiator, a great film in its own right, and Paths of Glory (you are a film-buff, so you might be as Ebert and judge it within its own particular release/market niche, which is fine, too).
I can see the difference and appreciate both, no?

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
That's not a name that fills me with much confidence.
Yep. Didnt think much of his take on Evil Dead and Don't Breathe didnt fill me with confidence.
By all account the film's storyline is a about a group of young space-hopping thieves/smugglers and they randomly stumble upon a ship infested with the Xeno.
Very simple nuts-and-bolts horror.
Not expecting much tbh.

Herman Toothrot

Yep. Didnt think much of his take on Evil Dead and Don't Breathe didnt fill me with confidence.
By all account the film's storyline is a about a group of young space-hopping thieves/smugglers and they randomly stumble upon a ship infested with the Xeno.
Very simple nuts-and-bolts horror.
Not expecting much tbh.
Yeah, sounds like his disposable slasher remakes. More Alien VS Predator than Alien. Maybe he'll surprise us, but I doubt it. Alien: Covenant was a full-blown car crash, but I do wish they'd let Scott finish his trilogy, I enjoyed Prometheus an awful lot, despite its flaws and over explanation of the Alien, and it feels a shame the story never ends. What they should have done is green lit a third film but insisted on bringing in a quality writer. Ridley Scott will direct the feck out of anything, no matter how old he is, but his films live and die on their script and that'll be the same with Napoleon. David Scarpa doesn't have the best CV, so fingers crossed for this one!

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
Hopefully am wrong, but aside from cinematography both the trailer and Joaquin as Napoleon seem a bit off. Ridley is well past his peak as well.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Hopefully am wrong, but aside from cinematography both the trailer and Joaquin as Napoleon seem a bit off. Ridley is well past his peak as well.
Sure. On the other hand, I'll happilly watch anything different to Alien Covenant.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
Sure. On the other hand, I'll happilly watch anything different to Alien Covenant.
Oh, same thing. Thank feck he's done with that and if anything he still knows how to make a historical drama. Even The Last Duel was pretty solid which is kinda my expectations for this one as well (visually stunning, but slightly dull at times).

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Personally I dont think you'll finder a better portrayal of Napoleon than Terrance Camilleri , who does a excellent breakdown of the character.

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
Hopefully they just picked all the worst dialogue to shove in the trailer. I don't know if I can't sit through 3 hours of that shit.

The Last Duel was the biggest pile of shit of that year.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
How is he miscast?
Well he’s about 20 years too old for most of it, for a start

though tbf I dunno how you can say with confidence that anyone is miscast as a historical figure whose been dead for 200 years… shorn of being a different race or gender.

That said I do somewhat agree that Phoenix isn’t the person who immediately springs to mind when trying to depict a general who inspired thousands to fight for him.

Weird little neeky cnut? Sure. Charismatic Tyrant-warrior-king*? Eeeeeh….Even in those clips he comes across as a mumbly introverted little goober - which he’s great at, but would be a pretty weird pitch for Napoleon.

(*In Gladiator he was still very much a weird little neeky cnut, so no that doesn’t count)

Scott can definitely nail sweeping historical epics though. His problems have never been scale or production. Even Prometheus looks great

Rooney in Paris

Scout
Well he’s about 20 years too old for most of it, for a start

though tbf I dunno how you can say with confidence that anyone is miscast as a historical figure whose been dead for 200 years… shorn of being a different race or gender.

That said I do somewhat agree that Phoenix isn’t the person who immediately springs to mind when trying to depict a general who inspired thousands to fight for him.

Weird little neeky cnut? Sure. Charismatic Tyrant-warrior-king*? Eeeeeh….Even in those clips he comes across as a mumbly introverted little goober - which he’s great at, but would be a pretty weird pitch for Napoleon.

(*In Gladiator he was still very much a weird little neeky cnut, so no that doesn’t count)

Scott can definitely nail sweeping historical epics though. His problems have never been scale or production. Even Prometheus looks great
Sounds like Bonaparte indeed.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Barry Keoghan would have been a more interesting though somewhat left-field choice as Napoleon. He's got the charisma but has that sinister edge to him and I feel he's only really starting to get his reignition he's deserved , plus Ridley has a history of propelling top talents into major blockbuster movies, one of which, funnily enough, being Phoenix in Gladiator.

But I've been hugely impressed with Keoghan ever since Yorgos Lanthimos's The Killing of a Sacred Deer and Lowery's slightly underrated fantasy film The Green Knight.