Napoli boss proposal for new European league

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
If revenues are multiplied by 5 or 10 then I don't see why I should care. And I don't really understand the second question, why should the common man be in touch with professional Football? And it's not as if he was in touch with a 1m transfer fee, I really don't understand that point.
You need to think about the target audience. Who goes to the matches? Who buys the gear? Who tours the museums? Etc. The common man and his family. Now if you essentially priced him out of his hobby he’s going to go elsewhere.
you can only financially push people so far

Cal?

CR7 fan
He does have a point concerning the ridiculous number of (pointless) games teams play
This part I agree with, top leagues should be reduced in size to 16-18, allowing for more top level games.

The closed shop ESL was ill-conceived, but the principle is actually right.

golden_blunder

Staff
United, even post-Sir Alex are better than most and gets seeded accordingly, why would we as United fans want an unseeded draw which makes it so much easier to go out in the group stage?
Where have I mentioned anything about seeds?

im saying there has to be a way of financial capping which is consistent

Cal?

CR7 fan
You need to think about the target audience. Who goes to the matches? Who buys the gear? Who tours the museums? Etc. The common man and his family. Now if you essentially priced him out of his hobby he’s going to go elsewhere.
There may come a day when attendences suffer, but until that day comes, there's no good reason not to try to find the equalibrium point where prices are maxed out with attendence close to 100%.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
This part I agree with, top leagues should be reduced in size to 16-18, allowing for more top level games.

The closed shop ESL was ill-conceived, but the principle is actually right.
Definitely. Not everything was to be thrown but they were too dumb to present it the way they did

golden_blunder

Staff
There may come a day when attendences suffer, but until that day comes, there's no good reason not to try to find the equalibrium point where prices are maxed out with attendence close to 100%.
So keep going til it breaks is your solution?

Cal?

CR7 fan
Where have I mentioned anything about seeds?

im saying there has to be a way of financial capping which is consistent
My original reply was to unseeded CL groups.

All financial capping will do is take more money out of the game.

Imagine the next Ronaldo coming thru at a smaller club, the club sells him for the cap (100, 200m or whatever), do you think the rest of the money is saved? That money will just go to the player or agent and the super clubs compete for the signing.

You'd probably see a similar case with Haaland next summer if there is a clause for significantly less than his market value.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
But the common man isn't the one paying that bill it's multinationals like Adidas, Bwin or Visa. I could understand your point if these companies increased the price of their goods and services in order to afford sponsoring Football but it's not the case and people aren't stopping purchasing shoes, gambling and using their debit cards anytime soon.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
Unseeded would be fun, as in fully unseeded. United & Liverpool in the same group. It’ll never happen though as UEFA don’t want teams like Madrid & Barca going out in the group stages while BATE Borisov & Young Boys make the knockouts. It’s a money thing.
Yeah I know why it’s a thing, and it’s a shame that’s why it’s a thing.

You can pretty easily predict the groups each year though now which is shite.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
I don't understand the concept of any United fan advocating something terrible for United. It's almost as if you care about the rest of the clubs more than United. :rolleyes:
No but I care about football and so do many others. Ther are more supporters of non big clubs around the world than there are big clubs.

The whole ethos of the Super League was for the big clubs to enjoy at the expense of everyone else and that’s part of why it was so reviled.

I’m just not selfish that’s all, and it would incentivise us to be better if we knew we might go out in the group stage so it would improve United, just like we improved in the 90’s.

Cal?

CR7 fan
No but I care about football and so do many others. Ther are more supporters of non big clubs around the world than there are big clubs.

The whole ethos of the Super League was for the big clubs to enjoy at the expense of everyone else and that’s part of why it was so reviled.

I’m just not selfish that’s all, and it would incentivise us to be better if we knew we might go out in the group stage so it would improve United, just like we improved in the 90’s.
I'm not sure that's true, but anyway, it's of course in THEIR interest to advocate something good for THEIR club, I just don't understand United fans going against the interest of the club.

The Super League is about the top clubs getting what they deserve, as I've been saying for years, the EPL collective deal means United are continually subsidizing our competitors.

Balljy

I'm not sure that's true, but anyway, it's of course in THEIR interest to advocate something good for THEIR club, I just don't understand United fans going against the interest of the club.

The Super League is about the top clubs getting what they deserve, as I've been saying for years, the EPL collective deal means United are continually subsidizing our competitors.
I care about grass roots football as millions of others do. I play it, I occasionally pop down to the local club playing in a ridiculously low division on a Sunday as a relaxed morning out. Football has always been about supporting the smaller clubs and players and if we lose that it will be a shame. The top leagues do support that to an extent, but with the huge revenue increases at the top end I think it's right that a small proportion of their of their income goes to the clubs that allow football to remain the largest played sport worldwide.

If the very top clubs move so far away from the rest money-wise it almost separates them from the rest by so much that they play each other constantly and the others don't exist. Personally I love when United play Mansfield away or whatever as it's what makes football fun and not like the American style closed league systems.

golden_blunder

Staff
But the common man isn't the one paying that bill it's multinationals like Adidas, Bwin or Visa. I could understand your point if these companies increased the price of their goods and services in order to afford sponsoring Football but it's not the case and people aren't stopping purchasing shoes, gambling and using their debit cards anytime soon.
Because they’ve collectively priced the normal person out. It’s going to be unsustainable soon

golden_blunder

Staff
I care about grass roots football as millions of others do. I play it, I occasionally pop down to the local club playing in a ridiculously low division on a Sunday as a relaxed morning out. Football has always been about supporting the smaller clubs and players and if we lose that it will be a shame. The top leagues do support that to an extent, but with the huge revenue increases at the top end I think it's right that a small proportion of their of their income goes to the clubs that allow football to remain the largest played sport worldwide.

If the very top clubs move so far away from the rest money-wise it almost separates them from the rest by so much that they play each other constantly and the others don't exist. Personally I love when United play Mansfield away or whatever as it's what makes football fun and not like the American style closed league systems.
Exactly. I used to love the Fa cup because you could be drawn against anyone and anything could happen. Now it’s all about chasing money

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Because they’ve collectively priced the normal person out. It’s going to be unsustainable soon
How did they priced the normal person out, who is going to games every weeks and watch it on TV? Also who are we talking about, are you talking about the PL because prices are perfectly fine in most countries?

Cal?

CR7 fan

I'm not advocating a closed league system at all but, Perez did have a point that the highest interest games come few and far between under the current CL model and that should be fixed to maximize income for all involved.

I get the part about grassroot level, the way to do it, is to fix a percentage from the top to help with the lower levels, but not to stop those at the top from making more money.

Cal?

CR7 fan
Most clubs in the PL are getting close to 100% attendence this season (City aside), so what exactly is the problem here?

golden_blunder

Staff
Most clubs in the PL are getting close to 100% attendence this season (City aside), so what exactly is the problem here?
I wouldn’t take this season as a gauge. Pandemic and all that

I am talking about the morals of spending ridiculous amounts of money on a player. Clubs want more money fine not against that. I’m saying INSTEAD of creating ANOTHER competition they tweak what already exists, and don’t keep setting transfer records then the prices might stabilise

Cal?

CR7 fan
I wouldn’t take this season as a gauge. Pandemic and all that

I am talking about the morals of spending ridiculous amounts of money on a player. Clubs want more money fine not against that. I’m saying INSTEAD of creating ANOTHER competition they tweak what already exists, and don’t keep setting transfer records then the prices might stabilise
I still maintain my thinking that capping transfer fees will just end up lining the pockets of players and agents.

We'll see if that happens with Haaland next summer.

I agree with tweaking existing competitons, but I also understand why the (former) ESL clubs want a competition not run by UEFA.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Its always about a new league instead of putting a cap on agent & transfer fees and preventing more oil money from ruining the game. Play as many leagues as you want with full stadiums but as long as these rich daddy clubs can just slap a ridiculous price tag for anyone in world of football and buy them without losing their ability to purchase more players and paying their salaries, all the other teams will get fecked no matter big or small. Oil money isnt healthy. Theyre available in an instant and only benefit the oil daddy clubs. Lets talk about stopping them from dominating every league theyre in before starting a new competition.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Impose a hard financial fairplay. No losses at all permissible, hard, REAL cap on ownership investment, salary cap below a certain % of revenue excluding profits off sales, cap on agent fees, hard(ish) cap on squad sizes

Reduce top flights to 16 teams, increase CL to 48 teams, 6 groups of 8, winners only qualify foe 2 groups of 3, winners play the final. Total of 19 CL games possible, 49 with the league so enough for a domestic cup on top, get rid of the european supercup

I should be in charge of football ffs. I promise I will set a fair price for bribing me, too!

Devil_forever

You're only young once, you can be immature f'ever
Head of the naval division of lolibfascon
He can't go anywhere else though, its not like he's going to go and support another team. Instead he'll just buy sky subscription to watch the match from home, which in turn is more money for the clubs.

Cal?

CR7 fan
Impose a hard financial fairplay. No losses at all permissible, hard, REAL cap on ownership investment, salary cap below a certain % of revenue excluding profits off sales, cap on agent fees, hard(ish) cap on squad sizes

Reduce top flights to 16 teams, increase CL to 48 teams, 6 groups of 8, winners only qualify foe 2 groups of 3, winners play the final. Total of 19 CL games possible, 49 with the league so enough for a domestic cup on top, get rid of the european supercup

I should be in charge of football ffs. I promise I will set a fair price for bribing me, too!
Terrible idea, that would create lots of dead games, also 2 groups of 3?

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.

Spot on.