Television Narcos: Mexico | Netflix

choiboyx012

Carrick>Hargreaves
Finished it. Was definitely slower paced than season 1. The Colombia series is better imo seasons 1-3.

I’m guessing the next season will focus on el chapo

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
So having finished Witcher I am thinking on starting Narcos next from the beginning as I've never seen it.

Worth it?

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
So having finished Witcher I am thinking on starting Narcos next from the beginning as I've never seen it.

Worth it?
I really like it. Some people didn't enjoy when it got to Mexico but at least the Colombian cartels, para-militia were top TV entertainment.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018

Worth it?
Narcos is definitely worth watching & you should start with that. Narcos: Mexico less so in comparison, but still a decent watch.

momo83

Massive Snowflake
Season 2 Episode 1:
Loved the scene with the power shift. When someone thinks his king, he’s people think he’s king, but in reality he’s owned by a bigger badder king.

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
Finished it. Was definitely slower paced than season 1. The Colombia series is better imo seasons 1-3.

I’m guessing the next season will focus on el chapo
I'm guessing not entirely yet. There is/was a lot of infighting and political gamesmanship that still occurred before he truly established dominance but for the sake of TV perhaps they ll gloss over that a bit. Either way I enjoyed the latest season. More political drama than the other seasons but still a very good watch. Guy who played Felix def did a good job showing what a conflicted figure he must have been. If there are more seasons from here on out they will probably be a lot more violent like the Columbia seasons generally were. The guy who plays Pacho for the Cali Cartel is pretty brilliant. Amazing how he can be so intimidating by sheer body language. That's a skill as an actor.

Zlaatan

Parody Account
I just binged season 2 and I thought it was a good watch, better than Mexico season 1 which I wasn't a huge fan of. Maybe it wasn't as action packed as the previous seasons but it's a great foundation to hopefully build on with the rise of El Chapo and the wars that followed between the cartels. They definitely have the material to make a fantastic season 4, that's for sure.

I'm guessing not entirely yet. There is/was a lot of infighting and political gamesmanship that still occurred before he truly established dominance but for the sake of TV perhaps they ll gloss over that a bit. Either way I enjoyed the latest season. More political drama than the other seasons but still a very good watch. Guy who played Felix def did a good job showing what a conflicted figure he must have been. If there are more seasons from here on out they will probably be a lot more violent like the Columbia seasons generally were. The guy who plays Pacho for the Cali Cartel is pretty brilliant. Amazing how he can be so intimidating by sheer body language. That's a skill as an actor.
He's fantastic isn't he, steals every single scene he's in.

djdhrubs

I've finished this now and thought it was very good. The only criticism I have is that Felix didn't really come across as a nasty enough kinda guy to do what he did towards the end giving that very ruthless order to have certain people killed. Seemed out of character to what was portrayed in the preceding episodes. The entire 1988 election stuff was very fascinating and just totally bonkers that it happened. Reminded me a bit of the election in the Spacey House of Cards but this one actually happened and it was even crazier than the House of Cards stuff.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
The theme music was an inspired choice by the show's creators.

Zlatattack

I just binged season 2 and I thought it was a good watch, better than Mexico season 1 which I wasn't a huge fan of. Maybe it wasn't as action packed as the previous seasons but it's a great foundation to hopefully build on with the rise of El Chapo and the wars that followed between the cartels. They definitely have the material to make a fantastic season 4, that's for sure.

He's fantastic isn't he, steals every single scene he's in.
I agree, he's brilliant. A lot of the actors have been really good to be honest.

2E_MUFC

I love the whole Narcos series. Hopefully they continue to make more. Just finished the second season and thought it was great.

Mani

Completed S2 and for me this season is much better that the season 1,the election episode or the delivery of 70mt all well made.Eagerly waiting for season 3.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Still good, not quite great. The guys on the law enforcement end were more sympathetic or, perhaps, just less annoying this time. But the antagonists weren’t as compelling, and you always need a great villain.

Other than Pacho as mentioned above. He has an amount of gravity that typically only great actors carry.

Stacks

Still good, not quite great. The guys on the law enforcement end were more sympathetic or, perhaps, just less annoying this time. But the antagonists weren’t as compelling, and you always need a great villain.

Other than Pacho as mentioned above. He has an amount of gravity that typically only great actors carry.
I enjoyed all the plaza bosses to some degree. I at this point they are not quite villain as they haven't been let off their leashes Gallardo is the villain. The characters are based off real people so aren't supposed to just be James bond villains.

2E_MUFC

I thought the guy who played Felix was really good. People are always going to compare to Escobar because he Wagner Moura played such a good part.

Should start getting more violent etc in the next series.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
I enjoyed all the plaza bosses to some degree. I at this point they are not quite villain as they haven't been let off their leashes Gallardo is the villain. The characters are based off real people so aren't supposed to just be James bond villains.
I’m not asking for ‘James Bond villains‘. Just somebody more compelling, like Escobar as mentioned above.

The guy on the US side was an improvement this season. And this clearly isn’t meant to be a ‘good guy v. bad guy’ trope. But there wasn’t enough on the Mexico side to push this into truly great territory.

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
people are assuming there will be a season 3 but as of yet it is unconfirmed on netflix
I do wonder if they re going to - not because the show isn't successful/good enough - but more because some of the el Chapo chapters are still relatively fresh and in many ways the full extent of Mexican and US government involvement may at this point not be known as much as everything that has come out about the "era" before it.

Stacks

I’m not asking for ‘James Bond villains‘. Just somebody more compelling, like Escobar as mentioned above.

The guy on the US side was an improvement this season. And this clearly isn’t meant to be a ‘good guy v. bad guy’ trope. But there wasn’t enough on the Mexico side to push this into truly great territory.
why did you find Escobar compelling? At first thought I did not. He did get imitated quite amusingly by random people on the net but on reflection he certainly was. I agree there were not too many compelling characters just interesting ones.
I do wonder if they re going to - not because the show isn't successful/good enough - but more because some of the el Chapo chapters are still relatively fresh and in many ways the full extent of Mexican and US government involvement may at this point not be known as much as everything that has come out about the "era" before it.
Yeah. I am worried about an El Chapo clash. Is El Chapo any good?
I guess the benefit is they have many other protaganist/antagonist to develop like they Arrellano Felix family battling Chapo, the development of the lord of the skies and the Gulf Cartels development of the Zetas, along with all the other super violent neuvo generation guys like Jalisco Cartel. You could be introduced to new characters like Miguel Trevino. Are all these guys in Chapo?

choiboyx012

Carrick>Hargreaves
I don’t expect any of the new seasons, if there will be any, to have a villain as big and compelling as Escobar, or even the cali bosses. If they want to be as accurate as possible then I don’t think the Mexico series will have anyone bigger than Felix or el chapo. The country’s drug industry has largely been shared by several cartels compared to Colombia where Escobar was the household name.

I actually think they can do a season focusing on the more recent drug wars that started from 2009 when people were getting kidnapped and slaughtered left and right

baskinginthesun

The next couple of series will definitely be more violent than the previous 2
Probably because of who "El Chapo" was. But, hopefully, they do make a series about the next phase in the Mexican Drug War. It really started to take shape after Felix was arrested.

momo83

Massive Snowflake
Probably because of who "El Chapo" was. But, hopefully, they do make a series about the next phase in the Mexican Drug War. It really started to take shape after Felix was arrested.
And the whole beheading, burning, decapitating and generally killing people in ways that make even ISIS cringe

Ronaldo's ego

Incorrectly predicted the 2020 US Election
I'm better than Messi (even though I'm not)
I actually think they can do a season focusing on the more recent drug wars that started from 2009 when people were getting kidnapped and slaughtered left and right
And the whole beheading, burning, decapitating and generally killing people in ways that make even ISIS cringe
Stepping into very dangerous territory covering events so recent and still ongoing.

The Cat

Finshed season 3 - really enjoyed it overall although 3 seemed a little dragged out at times.

I am not sure about Mexico with what I believe is a different cast but I'm going to give it a chance.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Stepping into very dangerous territory covering events so recent and still ongoing.
Well, someone with the show has already been murdered while scouting in Mexico. Some of the villIans would end up being people still in the government/LE.

Also, a bus load of student protesters getting shot up would make the bridge scene look like a walk in the park in terms of horror.

The Cat

On to Season 2 - I think I prefer the Mexico version to the Columbian - seems way better characters.

The Cat

Last two to watch tonight. Am going to miss this I definitely preferred it to the Columbian story.

The Cat

Right it's finished and I am now gutted. I don't know what to watch next - I just cannot get into Breaking Bad I've tried twice.

I did see on Netflix El Chapo pop up so I thought oh great I'll go with that then but it's unwatchable. The voiceovers sound like someone is doing them and is very bored at the same time.

air_mood

Thought the music sounded familiar on this one. Googled and found it was done by Gustavo Santaolalla, the genius who did the music for The Last Of Us. Felt like I was playing The Last Of Us when watching Narcos : Mexico.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Not sure how they go from here. The only interesting guy remaining is Amado and I don't think even he makes as compelling a villain as Felix. They could pivot to Juarez and Chapo but the guy who plays Chapo doesn't remotely look like he can carry that.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Not sure how they go from here. The only interesting guy remaining is Amado and I don't think even he makes as compelling a villain as Felix. They could pivot to Juarez and Chapo but the guy who plays Chapo doesn't remotely look like he can carry that.
Yeah it's hard to see where it'll go without a compelling villain like Felix, and Chapo was a bad cast of actor, he lacks any menace at all. I also wouldn't be surprised if they kept Felix in it and had the main guy visiting him in prison for tips or something.

Still, they did a great job with the original Narcos in S3 after Escobar so they could certainly pull it off.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Yeah it's hard to see where it'll go without a compelling villain like Felix, and Chapo was a bad cast of actor, he lacks any menace at all. I also wouldn't be surprised if they kept Felix in it and had the main guy visiting him in prison for tips or something.

Still, they did a great job with the original Narcos in S3 after Escobar so they could certainly pull it off.
The S3 in Colombia was a really nice touch of contrast, going from Escobar's family run shop to Cali who were operating like a fortune 500 company.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
*new season* Was everyone else rooting for Amado?

Also, it looked like Shorty was pulling a Marlon Brando there with his jowls and now I can’t see anything other than a tiny Godfather.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
I've watched the first two of season three and still think it comes nowhere close to the first Narcos. Has the great production values, soundtrack, violence of the Colombian series but all the characters are much weaker. I also think it lacks a bit of focus without Felix as the primary villain, even though he wasn't as strong as Escobar. It's still very watchable but nowhere close to Narcos 1.