NBA 2015-2016

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
Ford and Givony both projecting Russell falling to fourth. I hope it is true I think he is the second surest thing in the draft(after Towns obviously)

Oo0AahCantona

Hows this years draft stacking up? doubtful any franchise level talents as i would have heard on the grapevine, but any possible all star shouts?

PvsNP

Hows this years draft stacking up? doubtful any franchise level talents as i would have heard on the grapevine, but any possible all star shouts?
Towns, Okafor and Russell look very promising. They all have potential to be All Stars. I'm not sold on Mudiay though.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
There is three main guys.

Karl Towns is a 19 year old 7 footer who seems to be the ideal big in the modern NBA. Can run the floor, good perimeter shooter, great FT%, good rim protector, good at defending the pick and roll. But, he might not have been able to show his full array of skills at Kentucky because of how stacked the team was(4 guys from the team projected to go lottery), his post game is not advanced at this point and committed a ton of fouls in college.

Jahlil Okafor is more of an old school big man. He has the most advanced low post game we seen from a prospect in a long while. But, he does not run the floor well, not very athletic and really struggles defensively. Does not protect the rim well and struggles in pick and roll defense.

D'Angelo Russell is a lefty combo guard in the mold of James Harden. High basketball IQ, great shooter and a great passer. Not a great athlete so he often has to rely on his skill and craftiness to get by defenders. But, he is not extremely athletic and made very little impact on the defensive end in college.

Kristaps Porzingis seems to be getting scouts excited as well but, I have not seen much of him. His stats in Spain were impressive though considering his age. Emmanuel Mudiay is another name was the highest ranked player in his high school class but, spent the last season playing in China.

Danny1982

Sectarian Hipster
So, many decisions awaiting the Heat, including the draft. What will Riley do? What's his plan, if he has one?

I don't think Wade would leave, and he really shouldn't. I would love to see the same group get healthy and get back next year (Wade, Bosh, Dragic, Deng and Whiteside), and may be add another piece using the 10th pick, but it's far from certain.

Will be a busy Summer (hoping at least).

Eboue

nasty little twerp with crazy bitter-man opinions
I'm typing this with my Glock 19 two feet from me
Q. In the middle of the playoffs, you took to Twitter to ask N.B.A. analysts to give you “some diagnostics” on how 3-point-oriented teams were faring. It struck most as a criticism of teams like the Warriors who take a lot of 3-point shots. You asked, “How’s it goink?” What was that about?

JACKSON: They have all these analysts. I just wanted to see someone come back to me with statistics: Is 3-point shooting in the playoffs as consistent as it is in the regular season? Does your 3-point-shooting percentage change because you’re in the playoffs? No one figured that one out. And that’s probably me being obtuse to leave it open at the end. But “goink” is one of those New York expressions that we use, and I will tell you this: I learned something. Someone sent me the fact that if you look it up on Urban Dictionary, you’ll find out what it means in today’s society.

Q. Should I look?

JACKSON: Well, it’s rather bizarre to say the least.

Q. So it wasn’t just a typo?

JACKSON: “Goink” is a castoff expression, right? Instead of, “How’s it going?,” it’s, “How’s it goink?” It turned out to be either a combination of a mixed ethnic group: part Korean, part Chinese. Or it’s a vernacular term for how do you deal with a sexual partner.

Q. That was not your intention though?

JACKSON: No, I had no idea.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
51%
43%
41%
41%
40%
40%
38%
37%

What do you think those numbers are?

Kobe Bryant's FG% in the finals plus Lebron's this year in the finals (Lebron is one of the 40%)
Lol.

2-4
5-2

Those numbers ring any bells?

Bubz27

Don't look at me, I'm not a Lebron fan. I'm just saying that for all the people getting caught up in Lebron shooting 40% in the finals this year, Kobe's career finals performance is 41%.

Does the 5 game sweep in '04 ring any bellends?

Lol, I'm with you. His performances have been a bit overplayed I think. But it is what it is.

My bellend is surely rung, thanks for the reminder :(

Danny1982

Sectarian Hipster
Don't look at me, I'm not a Lebron fan. I'm just saying that for all the people getting caught up in Lebron shooting 40% in the finals this year, Kobe's career finals performance is 41%.

Does the 5 game sweep in '04 ring any bellends?

Come on Eboue.

Oh, and it's not 40%, it's 39.8%. :p

Danny1982

Sectarian Hipster
I'm really not. I just recognize his place in history. Like this game. :mad:

I know this game was what made you let's say respect him this much. But you have been consistently defending him even when he left Cleveland, even when he was failing in the finals, even when he was in Miami. And to be honest Lebron is one of the greatest of all time so it's not like you're defending him blindly here, but you have always been very supportive of him regardless the circumstances, which is something I actually respect (unlike people who were talking about the big 3 in Miami as a luxury no real great should need to win a championship, but now switched to "how is he supposed to win a trophy with the other superstars injured?!").

Eboue

I know this game was what made you let's say respect him this much. But you have been consistently defending him even when he left Cleveland, even when he was failing in the finals, even when he was in Miami. And to be honest Lebron is one of the greatest of all time so it's not like you're defending him blindly here, but you have always been very supportive of him regardless the circumstances, which is something I actually respect (unlike people who were talking about the big 3 in Miami as a luxury no real great should need to win a championship, but now switched to "how is he supposed to win a trophy with the other superstars injured?!").
Well that's fair enough, but I don't defend him because I personally think he's dreamy or whatever. I just genuinely think he's a great player and a lot of the criticism he gets is unfair. If/when people start trashing Durant for not winning a title, I'll defend him just like I defend Chris Paul.

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead
I like seeing teams build through the draft, if Detroit can surround Drummond with some good shooters I think they can progress well. Hezonja sounds interesting, not sure if that's a good thing though.

Danny1982

Sectarian Hipster
The Heat just offered (or planning to offer) Dragic an $80m 5-year deal (more than $20m below the max). Good deal if he accepts it.

arthurka

What options have the Lakers in this draft?
Haven't they traded all their good drafts lately?

Danny1982

Sectarian Hipster
Can't see him taking that. The Heat have been lowballing lots of guys lately.
They seem to be counting on the fact that he loves it in Miami and he expressed that publicly. They might also be selling him the idea of building a good team for 2016 (the team this year already had a lot of potential had it not been for the injuries).

And there is also a third factor, state tax, which is much lower in Miami than New York for example, so even though they're probably offering him much less than what other teams would, the money that's actually going into his pocket might not be less by much (not taking into account here the extra year Miami could offer him).

Also, for Miami, the fact that neither Wade not Deng has re-signed (or picked his option) yet makes them want to keep as much flexibility as they can at this point.

Having said that, I'm still not sure he'll accept it. But if he does then it's a very good deal imo.

Eboue

They seem to be counting on the fact that he loves it in Miami and he expressed that publicly. They might also be selling him the idea of building a good team for 2016 (the team this year already had a lot of potential had it not been for the injuries).

And there is also a third factor, state tax, which is much lower in Miami than New York for example, so even though they're probably offering him much less than what other teams would, the money that's actually going into his pocket might not be less by much (not taking into account here the extra year Miami could offer him).

Also, for Miami, the fact that neither Wade not Deng has re-signed (or picked his option) yet makes them want to keep as much flexibility as they can at this point.

Having said that, I'm still not sure he'll accept it. But if he does then it's a very good deal imo.
Does he love it in Miami? He's only been there a few months. His request included New York and Los Angeles too so it's not like he was dead set on Miami. The tax thing is true (it will basically cost him 5% or so) but there is also a prestige to being a max player. Additionally, he (and other players with leverage) might want player options after each year to re-up and get an increased salary as the cap moves up significantly.

Danny1982

Sectarian Hipster
Does he love it in Miami? He's only been there a few months. His request included New York and Los Angeles too so it's not like he was dead set on Miami. The tax thing is true (it will basically cost him 5% or so) but there is also a prestige to being a max player. Additionally, he (and other players with leverage) might want player options after each year to re-up and get an increased salary as the cap moves up significantly.
Yeah he said it a couple of times already.

Goran Dragic: 'I feel I'm spoiled' in Miami

Heat’s Goran Dragic on free agency: “I hope to stay here”

True about the prestige, but prestige is also about having a good chance to go far in the playoffs, and I think that would tip the scale in Miami's favor, and he already talked about Miami's 3 championships and how they're a
'championship team'. New York and the Lakers look like a mess right now (even though that could change quickly).

But I agree that his value is more than that (especially considering the expected rise in cap space next year). Let's hope Pat's gamble works out here.

Bubz27

What options have the Lakers in this draft?
Haven't they traded all their good drafts lately?
They have the 2nd pick and then 27th and 34th.

They look like they want to trade the 27th pick, maybe pairing it with Nick Young. Not many options flying around at the moment though.

The 2nd pick is the main one though, obviously. They will likely take Jahlil Okafor with that, although I'd prefer D'Angelo Russell. Karl Towns is the #1 guy though.

arthurka

So it's a question about a guard or a big man.
They need a big man more than a guard.. Every championship team they had included a great big man..

PvsNP

So it's a question about a guard or a big man.
They need a big man more than a guard.. Every championship team they had included a great big man..
Okafor is very skilled in the low post as well, much more than Towns atm, which is a rarity for big men in this league. He'll be a star.

arthurka

Okafor is very skilled in the low post as well, much more than Towns atm, which is a rarity for big men in this league. He'll be a star.
So the Timberwolves will pick Towns right? And Lakers will pick Okafor ?

PvsNP

So the Timberwolves will pick Towns right? And Lakers will pick Okafor ?
Pretty much. Russell will fall to 76ers and Mudiay to the Knicks, that is if they don't trade their pick. Rumours say they want WCS.

Bubz27

That's what it looks like, yes.

And I get the point about every great Laker team had a big guy anchoring the middle, however todays NBA is a different game. Warriors went small to beat the Cavs.

I guess Okafor is the better pick actually, as there are more guards to get through free agency. Dragic or God forbid Rondo are still options, plus we already have Clarkson for the time being.

PvsNP

@Danny1982

That's what it looks like, yes.

And I get the point about every great Laker team had a big guy anchoring the middle, however todays NBA is a different game. Warriors went small to beat the Cavs.

I guess Okafor is the better pick actually, as there are more guards to get through free agency. Dragic or God forbid Rondo are still options, plus we already have Clarkson for the time being.
Warriors had the roster to do it though. Dray, Iggy and Livingston are rare players.