NBA 2016-17

Danny1982

Sectarian Hipster
The thing I don't get with American sports is that if KD stays and his team is rubbish but he plays really well people will say he's not this or he's not that but if he puts himself in the best possible position to win a ring then it's hollow etc. I mean considering the way KD played down the stretch in his last series in a OKC shirt then this is pretty cold but feck it, get your money and your rings.
These voices will fade with time. The important thing for Durant now is winning. If he wins eveything will change.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
NBA over for the next few years, absolutely zero chance anyone will lose to these mob now. Absolutely nuts. Can they do this though, they don't have cap space without offloading Bogut or Iggy?
Bogut is rumored heading to Dallas and Barnes will likely sign the offer from Dallas as well. Guess that's another 7/8th seed and first round exit for the Mavs.

Oo0AahCantona

I think Boston should be dangling those draft picks over OKC management's head. Put him in the East with Horford and that group, second best in the East?
With westbrook undoubtably, although they already have Isaiah thomas who is more than good enough. Durant was the big one for Boston to make them into a contender.

Zen

Should just change the structure at this point, a few super elite teams would be better than essentially starting the season knowing the finals.

Kasper

Supports
Hansa Rostock / Bradford City
It's fun and it's fun that we can see such an all time great team but it's just horrible for the competitiv character of the league. It's just boring if you already know which teams will end up in the final.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
It's fun and it's fun that we can see such an all time great team but it's just horrible for the competitiv character of the league. It's just boring if you already know which teams will end up in the final.
It is going to be great for the league. Everyone will be tuning in seeing if they can beat them.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
Looks like Spurs have lined up Gasol, if it even matters anymore.

Danny1982

Sectarian Hipster
Wade offered 2-year $40m (second year player option) by Miami. There is no way he's leaving his house. :)

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Well that's my home team well and truly fecked, not to mention the price of oil.

The NBA is turning into La Liga...

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
Should have stayed with OKC.

Even if he wins a ring with the Warriors its going to feel hollow.
Ultimately it's not going to matter. He has been in the league for a decade now and hasn't even been to the finals once. Do you think LeBron will feel hollow for winning those two rings with the Heat? Of course not. If KD stays at OKC and doesn't win a ring for the rest of his career, people would be saying he should have moved when he got the chance.

charlton66

Supports
Golden State
The NBA is turning into La Liga...
Not fair! In La Liga Barcelona and Real Madrid receive about 30% of total league revenue with the other teams, relatively speaking, left in the cold. The Dubs, on the other hand, have managed to put this team together by drafting wisely and convincing their players to buy into the team ethic with their players often taking less money than market value. They have just been smarter than everyone else.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Ultimately it's not going to matter. He has been in the league for a decade now and hasn't even been to the finals once. Do you think LeBron will feel hollow for winning those two rings with the Heat? Of course not. If KD stays at OKC and doesn't win a ring for the rest of his career, people would be saying he should have moved when he got the chance.
Try again...

Eboue

nasty little twerp with crazy bitter-man opinions
I'm typing this with my Glock 19 two feet from me
Not fair! In La Liga Barcelona and Real Madrid receive about 30% of total league revenue with the other teams, relatively speaking, left in the cold. The Dubs, on the other hand, have managed to put this team together by drafting wisely and convincing their players to buy into the team ethic with their players often taking less money than market value. They have just been smarter than everyone else.
Who have they convinced to take less money?

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
It's not about money; it's the power the players have to put together super-teams, rendering all but a minority of the league irrelevant. The draft was supposed to prevent this but, as we've seen from the Sixers, it isn't working.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
Only Curry is paid below market value. And that is because he signed his contract after a year in which he only played 26 games due to injury. That club friendly contract has bought them a ton of flexibility over the years.

charlton66

Supports
Golden State
Curry of course is underpaid but there are reasons behind that (injury). The best example is Andre Iguodala (from sbnation) "Iguodala turned down a four-year, $52 million contract with the Sacramento Kings, a $60 million five-year deal with the Nuggets, and a "lucrative" deal with the Mavericks. The Warriors were able to land Iguodala at a discount in comparison with a four-year, $48 million contract."

Gazza

Super excited just to go to some regular season games with that line up for the Warriors

They've agreed a deal for Zaza Pachulia, not seen much of him, people saying he'll take Bogut/Igoudala's place in the line up, is he an upgrade?

charlton66

Supports
Golden State
So one player then.
Reasons or otherwise, they were still able to work it out so Curry took less. They took a chance and it worked out for them. Either way, that's 2 out of their top 4 players (the ones in the meeting with KD) and the reason why they were able to sign Durant.

Last edited:

charlton66

Supports
Golden State
It was market value for Curry at the time he signed it.
Curry signed his current contract in 2013-14 (4yr/44 million). As a comparison, two players from the same draft as him, James Harden and Blake Griffin signed a 5yr/79 million contract and a 5yr/95 million contract respectively in the same year. Curry liked his situation at the Warriors, they believed in him as a player. They both came to a reasonable agreement and it worked out.

Last edited:

Skåre Willoch

This is a once in a lifetime opportunity for both parties, in my opinion. GSW are cap flexible, Durant wants a ring. Let's see if the Cavs can call it.

Eboue

nasty little twerp with crazy bitter-man opinions
I'm typing this with my Glock 19 two feet from me
Curry signed his current contract in 2013-14 and his base salary was a little under 10 million. From the same draft, James Harden made a little under 14 million in 2013-14 and Blake Griffin about 16.5 million. Curry liked his situation at the Warriors, they believed in him as a player. They both came to a reasonable agreement and it worked out.
Curry signed his contract in 2012 after playing only 26 games that year and averaging less than 15 points per game. It would be another 2 years before he even made an all NBA team. Blake Griffin was a 2 time all star, all nba 2nd team who averaged 21 and 11. James Harden was the 6th man of the year who was a key scorer on a finals team. Here are some reactions from the Curry extension at the time

ESPN said:
Golden State was keen to secure Curry long-term as one of its two cornerstones, alongside center Andrew Bogut, despite Curry's ongoing struggles with ankle problems.

Curry missed 40 of 66 games last season and sprained his twice-surgically repaired right ankle again in the preseason. New Warriors general manager Bob Myers and Lacob felt Curry was still worth the risk given the point guard's production when healthy.
SFGate said:
For Curry, the trade-off for possibly being underpaid is the security of knowing where he'll be playing through the 2016-17 season. The Warriors had to weigh the risk of a long-term deal with a player coming off two ankle surgeries.
CBS Sports said:
At first glance, the number for Curry looks incredibly reasonable. Just $44 million for a player of Curry's talent seems like a steal, but you have to weigh in his ankle injury issue, which is likely what kept Golden State from going much higher.
It was a market value deal at the time, due to the injury issues Curry had.

charlton66

Supports
Golden State
Curry signed his contract in 2012 after playing only 26 games that year and averaging less than 15 points per game. It would be another 2 years before he even made an all NBA team. Blake Griffin was a 2 time all star, all nba 2nd team who averaged 21 and 11. James Harden was the 6th man of the year who was a key scorer on a finals team. Here are some reactions from the Curry extension at the time
It was a market value deal at the time, due to the injury issues Curry had.
I think your 3 quotes just reiterated what I said.
Curry of course is underpaid but there are reasons behind that (injury).
Curry liked his situation at the Warriors, they believed in him as a player. They both came to a reasonable agreement and it worked out.
In other words they convinced him to take less. Yes there were reasons (as I pointed out) but your three quotes seem to basically say that yes the Warriors got a steal but both sides took a chance. I think if Steph would have wanted more money he could have forced the issue and got more but he wanted to stay with the Dubs and the rest is history. I think we are going round in circles here.

Last edited: