NBA 2018-2019

JoaquinJoaquin

Talk is we are trying to get the #4 to take Mo Bamba. I'd be happy with that but wouldn't want to lose Ntilikina.

Kearnkoff69

I hate the idea of people "falling" in the draft, because ultimately players are just valued differently by different clubs and most of the time where a player gets taken is reflective of how the teams valued him - we just see it as "rising" or "falling" because pundits and draft nerds create endless mock drafts that tell us that so and so is a lottery talent but not worthy of a top 3 pick, etc. I hate the content machine that the draft has become where drama is manufactured by people who need clicks.

That being said, I do love the intrigue of the draft and I'm especially excited for this year. Nothing will top last year's trades, but some bad franchises have lucked into good picks with a lot of talent available (I'm high on the two Bridges and Carter as some of the more underrated players this year). I've only been able to catch a few full games of Doncic but he really caught the eye. I'm stoked to see where he lands and what kind of adjustments he makes to the NBA.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Talk is we are trying to get the #4 to take Mo Bamba. I'd be happy with that but wouldn't want to lose Ntilikina.
You need to take Parsons contract to do that I think. Something along the lines of Courtney Lee (expiring veteran help), no. 9 and swap rights for 2019 pick in exchange for no. 4 and Parsons should work.

I have Phoenix as favorites to take no. 4 in exchange for Chriss or Bender, no. 16 and swap rights for 2019 pick plus maybe Bucks pick. They will take no. 4 and Parsons and select Doncic as plan A, Bagley as plan B or Young as plan C.

Donut

Is there a way to watch the draft tomorrow afternoon without getting it spoilt?

I want to watch it but I guess it will be in the middle of the night and I can't be too beat up for work tomorrow.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
Is there a way to watch the draft tomorrow afternoon without getting it spoilt?

I want to watch it but I guess it will be in the middle of the night and I can't be too beat up for work tomorrow.
Don't browse news sites. Then torrent in the morning.

Sarni

I’m so excited for this draft, it’s so unpredictable how it will go this year. None of my favorite teams are really picking near the top but I am still interested in what top lottery teams do and where top prospects go. Some major trades might happen.

Draft is just so entertaining.

JoaquinJoaquin

You need to take Parsons contract to do that I think. Something along the lines of Courtney Lee (expiring veteran help), no. 9 and swap rights for 2019 pick in exchange for no. 4 and Parsons should work.

I have Phoenix as favorites to take no. 4 in exchange for Chriss or Bender, no. 16 and swap rights for 2019 pick plus maybe Bucks pick. They will take no. 4 and Parsons and select Doncic as plan A, Bagley as plan B or Young as plan C.
Yeah we would need to take Parsons. We are trying to shred as much salary as possible this next season so that we get a good run at the free agent class in 2019. This is why O'Quinn has just turned down an extension. Although in his case I expect him to come back for more money on a 1 year deal. I could see us taking the Parsons contract on and then trading him next Summer when he will be more valuable (as he will only have 1 year left of that horrible deal).

So we will be bad this coming season, but would have a young core of KP, Frank and possibly Bamba, and then alot of cap room in 2019. Would be a good prospect for free agents coming to play in New York with those 3. Got a hunch we may see Kyrie sign given the Knicks were on his list of teams he wanted to join when leaving Cleveland and he grew up in NJ.

Sarni

Yeah we would need to take Parsons. We are trying to shred as much salary as possible this next season so that we get a good run at the free agent class in 2019. This is why O'Quinn has just turned down an extension. Although in his case I expect him to come back for more money on a 1 year deal. I could see us taking the Parsons contract on and then trading him next Summer when he will be more valuable (as he will only have 1 year left of that horrible deal).

So we will be bad this coming season, but would have a young core of KP, Frank and possibly Bamba, and then alot of cap room in 2019. Would be a good prospect for free agents coming to play in New York with those 3. Got a hunch we may see Kyrie sign given the Knicks were on his list of teams he wanted to join when leaving Cleveland and he grew up in NJ.
You'd still have Parsons, Hardaway and Noah on payroll in 2018-19. They make over $60M combined.

altodevil

I’m so excited for this draft, it’s so unpredictable how it will go this year. None of my favorite teams are really picking near the top but I am still interested in what top lottery teams do and where top prospects go. Some major trades might happen.

Draft is just so entertaining.
It's the best in a few years that's for sure. Not only are a lot of these guys super hyped, there isn't that much difference between 1-4, and 5-10. Plus possible superstar trades, although unlikely.

Sarni

It's the best in a few years that's for sure. Not only are a lot of these guys super hyped, there isn't that much difference between 1-4, and 5-10. Plus possible superstar trades, although unlikely.
Exactly. We had a clear top two last year and could have fairly easily figured out Tatum, Jackson, Fox and Isaac were going after that.

This year we know no. 1 but we have no clue about no. 2 and below. Bagley could go 2-8, Porter could go 4-111 (even 2), Young could go 3-12.

Sarni

Who is staying up for the draft?

JoaquinJoaquin

You'd still have Parsons, Hardaway and Noah on payroll in 2018-19. They make over $60M combined.
Parsons and Noah will have one year left and could easily be moved to tanking teams or bought out. Hardaway will be traded if he doesn't have a good season this year.

altodevil

Let's see if this is what happens. I'll be pissed if there is no trades top-6.

charlton66

Supports
Golden State
I'll watch the beginning and see what it's like. Probably would be asleep by halfway, unless there's drama. I hope there's drama.
Me too. The trades and teams moving up and down are the best part.

Sarni

Let's see if this is what happens. I'll be pissed if there is no trades top-6.
feck, Woj couldn’t just stay away again. They actually promised not to leak the picks but of course he has to prove how amazing he is again.

This ruined the draft for me last year.

Sarni

Yeah this makes it all the more annoying. He actually promised not to do this alongside other reporters and he did it again. He will probably be tweeting pick after pick in advance during the draft too.

altodevil

Yeah I was planning on browsing twitter when it was on, didn't think I would need to avoid it hours in advance. Basically confirms no fun trades either.

Scarecrow

Having a week off
Yeah I was planning on browsing twitter when it was on, didn't think I would need to avoid it hours in advance. Basically confirms no fun trades either.
Does it? People will still get traded after being picked. They'll just wear the wrong hat while doing a pointless awkward interview for a minute or two.

altodevil

Because it's so ridiculous:

Sarni

Because it's so ridiculous:
They could actually manage that. It’s probably not going to happen but if Sacramento don’t want him (Doncic) and Atlanta aren’t particularly excited about him as a prospect then Phoenix can work out a deal to grab him.

I think he’s gone to Atlanta though.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
David Silver is the weirdest looking league official I've ever seen. He's so un-commissioner like in appearance. Looks more like a tech guy or a cook at KFC.

ZDwyr

Dallas trading up to get Doncic. I really like the fit for him.

Scarecrow

Having a week off
I hoped Doncic might fall to Dallas and he might actually end up there after all. Atlanta will let him go it seems.

altodevil

As usual, smart teams win the draft.