NBA 2018-2019

sidsutton

Re: being swept, a quick look shows a couple of others from magic’s lakers that got swept (Kareem and Michael Cooper). I didn’t check the whole roster though.

Edit: Wes Unseld with the bullets the 70s too?

Last edited:

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Yeah, I don’t get how he can continue to ignore his shot. He will never become a dominant player while being this clueless from basically anywhere beyond ten feet.
A guy like Looney now shoots midrange and tough turnaround jumpers, Simmons to focus on his weaknesses big time.

GuybrushThreepwood

Supports
Blackburn Rovers

Interesting. You could definitely feel like the two sports were going in the opposite directions in the last decade or so
Agreed. For a long time MLB was clearly number 2 in the pecking order, and the the NBA number 3. However it was inevitable that the NBA was going to overtake it, given that the league and sport in general are far more appealing and ‘cooler’ to younger people, have the huge advantage in terms of social media, greater global appeal (you could argue that basketball is the second biggest sport in the world), and considerably more individual star power. Baseball matches are too low octane and long for many people nowadays. Talk shows like First Take and the Undisputed mostly cover the NFL and NBA (usually Tom Brady and Lebron are mentioned every day), and hardly mention MLB at all, unless there is a racism or drugs scandal.

It might take 20 years or so, but I wonder if the NBA can eventually overtake the NFL in the USA. Basketball is a much cheaper and more accessible sport than American football, which also has the issue of concussions and parents not letting their kids play it. NBA players are generally and already much bigger stars than NFL players, as there are significantly fewer players on a basketball court / NBA roster so they have have the ball more, and don’t wear face covering helmets.

The major advantages that the NFL have is a much shorter schedule where ‘less is more’ and every game matters. Many NBA regular season games are a waste of time and sometimes the playoffs can feel like they drag on as well. Also there is obviously far more parity in the NFL, meaning that a much higher percentage of NFL teams move the needle in the USA and attract interest and debate. NFL matches will attract huge TV ratings regardless of who is playing. Even NBA finals or conference finals TV ratings can fluctuate hugely depending on who is playing. Most NBA fans don’t care about at least 20-25 out of the 30 teams in the league, while considerably more people care about middle of the road or weaker NFL teams than NBA ones.

Last edited:

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Nuggets were always going to be a decent matchup for 7th seed, much better than Rockets would have been of course due to their lack of experience in these situations and it showed last night.

Spurs attempted 15 threes compared to Nuggets 28 and focused their game on mid-range shots and getting to the rim. They still made 7 threes compared to just 6 from the Nuggets.

Denver have a mountain to climb now considering Spurs home record.

Sarni

BTW Toronto are 1-10 in game 1. The win they got against Washington last year was their first.

They will still win the series, likely, but yesterday proved that they still have the same playoffs block that will make it impossible for them to go any further than the second round IMO (maybe conference finals if Nets upset Philly).

Bucks or Celtics are going to win the East. Very curious to see how good Celtics are tonight. I expect that they are going to miss Smart more than everyone thinks.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
I love these breakdowns

BTW Toronto are 1-10 in game 1. The win they got against Washington last year was their first.

They will still win the series, likely, but yesterday proved that they still have the same playoffs block that will make it impossible for them to go any further than the second round IMO (maybe conference finals if Nets upset Philly).

Bucks or Celtics are going to win the East. Very curious to see how good Celtics are tonight. I expect that they are going to miss Smart more than everyone thinks.
Lowry in particular

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
NBA Quiz

For anybody who is interested.

1) The NBA when it was founded was known as the Basketball Association of America (BAA). In what year was the first game played?
...1945(wild guess)?
2) Russell Westbrook just tied Magic Johnson for the second most regular season triple doubles behind Oscar Robertson. Who is 4th on the list?
Jason Kidd

3) There are three players in NBA history who have been swept twice in the NBA finals. Who are they?
LeBron, Wilt, West

4) Who are the all time leaders in points, rebounds and assists in regular season NBA history?
Kareem, Olajuwon, Stockton

5) The Boston Celtics won 10 NBA Championships in 11 years. Who interrupted their winning run?
Wilt

6) In the 1990-91 season "Run-TMC" was the nickname of the league's highest scoring trio. Who were TMC?
Tim-Mitch-Chris

7) Michael Jordan only ever lost 1 game 7 in his NBA career. Which team beat him?
Bad boys

8) Who became the 8th member of the 50/40/90 club this past season?
....Doncic?

9) Which organization drafted Bill Russell?
...Celtics?

10) Who is the only coach to win an NBA Championship and a WNBA Championship?
...Tomjanovic?

charlton66

Supports
Golden State
Rebound leaders is Wilt for sure .
Yes

NBA Quiz

For anybody who is interested.

1) The NBA when it was founded was known as the Basketball Association of America (BAA). In what year was the first game played?
...1945(wild guess)?
2) Russell Westbrook just tied Magic Johnson for the second most regular season triple doubles behind Oscar Robertson. Who is 4th on the list?
Jason Kidd

3) There are three players in NBA history who have been swept twice in the NBA finals. Who are they?
LeBron, Wilt, West

4) Who are the all time leaders in points, rebounds and assists in regular season NBA history?
Kareem, Olajuwon, Stockton

5) The Boston Celtics won 10 NBA Championships in 11 years. Who interrupted their winning run?
Wilt

6) In the 1990-91 season "Run-TMC" was the nickname of the league's highest scoring trio. Who were TMC?
Tim-Mitch-Chris

7) Michael Jordan only ever lost 1 game 7 in his NBA career. Which team beat him?
Bad boys

8) Who became the 8th member of the 50/40/90 club this past season?
....Doncic?

9) Which organization drafted Bill Russell?
...Celtics?

10) Who is the only coach to win an NBA Championship and a WNBA Championship?
...Tomjanovic?
1) I'll give it to you - 1946
2) yes
3) LeBron
4) Kareem and Stockton
5) yes
6) yes
7) yes
8) no
9) no
10) no
Re: being swept, a quick look shows a couple of others from magic’s lakers that got swept (Kareem and Michael Cooper). I didn’t check the whole roster though.

Edit: Wes Unseld with the bullets the 70s too?
It appears I only get 9/10 as well since I had Kareem, Magic and LeBron but as @sidsutton points out both Wes Unseld and Michael Cooper got swept twice as well.

Only 9 and 10 unanswered now.

Last edited:

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
9) some team that either no longer exists or changed city and name

10) ...larry brown

charlton66

Supports
Golden State
With all this quizzing I almost forgot. Steph was bloody brilliant last night.

charlton66

Supports
Golden State
Couple of clues.

9) The team that drafted Russell have been in their current city for over 50 years.

10) He was an NBA head coach in the 80s and 90s and a WNBA head coach in the 00s.

Last edited:

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Couple of clues.

9) The team that drafted Russell have been in their current city for over 50 years.

10) He was an NBA head coach in the 80s and 90s and a WNBA head coach in the 00s.
Restricted 9) to two possible choices, then went to check and it was indeed one of the two. The second one(my #1 choice was the bucks)

Sarni

I would feel so optimistic now if Nurkic hadn’t got hurt. OKC could be beaten, then either Denver or Spurs I would be optimistic about and who knows, Rockets might pull off an upset over Warriors this time.

Sarni

Hope Pacers do the Celtics.

Bucks have to come out of the East. They are awesome.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Celtics pacers is going to be brutal to watch. Massive respect for the pacers, but can both teams please be eliminated?

Sarni

Celtics pacers is going to be brutal to watch. Massive respect for the pacers, but can both teams please be eliminated?
I agree. Pacers with Oladipo would win this I think.

I hope Bucks annihilate Celtics in semis.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
I agree. Pacers with Oladipo would win this I think.

I hope Bucks annihilate Celtics in semis.
Dunno that they'd win, but at least games wouldn't end at 80 points ffs

I hope Giannis ascends to godhood and annihilates everybody honestly

Sarni

Dunno that they'd win, but at least games wouldn't end at 80 points ffs

I hope Giannis ascends to godhood and annihilates everybody honestly
I agree. Huge fan of #bucksin6 movement. Easily my second team.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Enes Kanter with the block! Russ must retire now :lol:

Sarni

Portland are toasting OKC right now and I am absolutely loving it.

Sarni

Crap second quarter. George is zero for million and it’s a 6-point gap.

ZDwyr

Surprised it's been as close as it has with George playing this badly.

Sarni

Surprised it's been as close as it has with George playing this badly.
Portland have been shooting terribly since first quarter as well. Also serious defensive issues.

If Kanter was just decent on defense he would be a top 10 center in the league. His offensive skill set and rebounding are absolutely top notch. His defense though is beyond abysmal.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Dame with the Steph Curry feck you 3 from outer space :drool:

Sarni

Awesome win in game 1. At least it’s not going to be a sweep this year. We might actually keep it close.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Harkless :lol:

Oh well, doesn't matter at this point