NBA 2020-2021

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
He went out like Christmas Day or Boxing Day 20-14.... 4th I think. 6-11 in that stretch without forced him to come too soon... finishing 11-20 where they basically plummeted. 20-14 was .588%, who knows really, they would of been in a dogfight for 6th to 8th(.598 .585x2).... but I'm giving a fully fit LeBron the push in that case. Not the not fit enough to even attempt D LeBron that had to return.
Yeah that does ring a bell. They looked okay with him that season though far from a contender level and they were heavily going after AD this time of that year already.

Speaking of that deal. Wondering what Pelicans are going to do with Lonzo now. He’s due for an extension in the Summer and may easily get a $20million offer sheet from somebody. I think given how he’s played the last couple of months they should keep him as cap space isn’t of much use to them but I suspect they may try to shop him. He could easily be a centerpiece of Beal trade but Wizards seem focused on keeping him (which is wrong). A deal like Ball, Hayes and three firsts for Beal would make so much sense for both teams. Another deal I’d try to make if I were Pelicans front office would be Bledsoe and a first for Horford.

Sarni

Clippers being linked with every single point guard in the league is ridiculous when you consider what their tradeable assets are. Yeah I can see teams biting their lips at the thought of getting Lou Williams, Pat Beverley on a bloated contract and a pair of second round picks.

ThierryHenry

wishes he could watch Arsenal games with KM
I can't believe the Nets have now won at Portland and Pheonix, without both Kyrie and KD in both games. Their bench is surprisingly great compared to the narrative after the Harden deal. Guys like Jeff Green, Claxton, Johnson, Shamet are making a huge impact - not to mention Bruce Brown, who I guess is more of a starter now.

Sarni

I can't believe the Nets have now won at Portland and Pheonix, without both Kyrie and KD in both games. Their bench is surprisingly great compared to the narrative after the Harden deal. Guys like Jeff Green, Claxton, Johnson, Shamet are making a huge impact - not to mention Bruce Brown, who I guess is more of a starter now.
Harden has always beaten Portland in regular season from my recollection. I remember so many times when he came over with Houston and won comfortably. Dame (who was awful last night) has beaten him a few times recently but overall Harden has come out on top quite often.

Nets have a lot of options now and they will get even more through buyout market. If Drummond hits the market he's probably going there. In the playoffs they will be getting 38-40 mins from Harden, Durant and Kyrie and another 30+ from Harris. It's about allocating the remaining 90 minutes to the right players based on the matchups and it seems like they'll have loads of options to do that.

ThierryHenry

wishes he could watch Arsenal games with KM
Harden has always beaten Portland in regular season from my recollection. I remember so many times when he came over with Houston and won comfortably. Dame (who was awful last night) has beaten him a few times recently but overall Harden has come out on top quite often.
Interesting, didn't realise. Part of the reason I've found the narrative of Harden phoning it in at the start of the season funny is a Rockets vs. Blazers game that I watched. I can't even remember who won (I think Portland?), but Harden + Wood were immense, and dragged it into OT.

Sarni

Awfully quiet on the trade front tonight. Seems like Lowry will move tomorrow - most likely to Sixers or Heat. Raptors are apparently asking for Herro but I can't see Miami offering him. They've offered Duncan Robinson but Toronto don't want him as he's RFA in the Summer and could get overpaid. Achiuwa is the only other Heat trade asset I could see Raptors potentially being interested in. If it's Sixers they'll ask for one of Maxey/Thybulle and their 2021 pick at the very least.

Powell will be a sneaky good little move for whoever gets him. He's like a perfect 3&D (great at both) in this league at a reasonable cost (due for an extension in the Summer but I could see him going for something within reason, $60m for 4 years or something). Would absolutely love him at Portland next to Dame and CJ.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Awfully quiet on the trade front tonight. Seems like Lowry will move tomorrow - most likely to Sixers or Heat. Raptors are apparently asking for Herro but I can't see Miami offering him. They've offered Duncan Robinson but Toronto don't want him as he's RFA in the Summer and could get overpaid. Achiuwa is the only other Heat trade asset I could see Raptors potentially being interested in. If it's Sixers they'll ask for one of Maxey/Thybulle and their 2021 pick at the very least.

Powell will be a sneaky good little move for whoever gets him. He's like a perfect 3&D (great at both) in this league at a reasonable cost (due for an extension in the Summer but I could see him going for something within reason, $60m for 4 years or something). Would absolutely love him at Portland next to Dame and CJ.
At this point, we've gotten the most out of Lowry, and I wouldn't mind seeing him traded out so that our younger players can start to establish themselves and our game evolve as a result. Having said that, Lowry is still a top notch player, and I'd love for us to get a very promising youngster or a bunch of solid draft picks for him. Apparently, he was also getting linked in a trade with the Lakers with Kuzma potentially going the other way, but I'm not sure if that'll come to fruition in any form (especially with both Davis and LeBron out).

Losing out on Powell will suck, but if we can get some solid players/picks in return, that'll help us out. Still, it'll hurt seeing us develop him only for him to potentially play his best years at another team.

Sarni

At this point, we've gotten the most out of Lowry, and I wouldn't mind seeing him traded out so that our younger players can start to establish themselves and our game evolve as a result. Having said that, Lowry is still a top notch player, and I'd love for us to get a very promising youngster or a bunch of solid draft picks for him. Apparently, he was also getting linked in a trade with the Lakers with Kuzma potentially going the other way, but I'm not sure if that'll come to fruition in any form (especially with both Davis and LeBron out).

Losing out on Powell will suck, but if we can get some solid players/picks in return, that'll help us out. Still, it'll hurt seeing us develop him only for him to potentially play his best years at another team.
Kuzma would be an awful fit with Toronto though. I don't see him fitting in there. He's perfect for Lakers.

Lowry I think should go. He will leave at the end of season anyway to chase a ring somewhere, may as well do this now with the league wide open. My bet is on him going to Heat. I heard in the morning on Mismatch podcast that they may end up offering Achiuwa, Robinson and a pick. That's hell of a return for an expiring 35-year old.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Kuzma would be an awful fit with Toronto though. I don't see him fitting in there. He's perfect for Lakers.

Lowry I think should go. He will leave at the end of season anyway to chase a ring somewhere, may as well do this now with the league wide open. My bet is on him going to Heat. I heard in the morning on Mismatch podcast that they may end up offering Achiuwa, Robinson and a pick. That's hell of a return for an expiring 35-year old.
Yeah, I'm with you on Kuzma, but that's why I doubt that any Lakers deal would particularly include him. Kuzma would basically be stepping on Siakam's toes, and we'd still be without a rebounding presence in the team. On the Heat's package, Robinson will become a restricted free agent, and that's why the Raptors may be reluctant to bring him in; he may demand a way larger salary than we'd want to pay, and we'll only be left with Achiuwa + a pick for Lowry, which, for me, would be a disappointing deal.

Sarni

Vucevic is off to Bulls for Carter and two first round picks. Aminu and Porter also part of that deal though obviously negligible (probably both will be bought out anyway, Porter for sure). I like it for Bulls. They are in pursuit for Lonzo as well.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Can't see how they can convince Toronto. Heat and Sixers will have superior deals.
Yeah indeed, don't think he'll end up with the Lakers either. Sixers would be an interesting fit. Would he work together well with Simmons?

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Yeah indeed, don't think he'll end up with the Lakers either. Sixers would be an interesting fit. Would he work together well with Simmons?
Lowry has played as a shooting guard who doesn't tend to run plays for the Raptors alongside VanVleet, so I can see him work with Simmons in that regard. Still, I wonder if Simmons will be able to work in plays that Lowry dictates. The fact that he's not a good perimeter shooter could make things difficult, and it might even influence Doc Rivers to give Lowry more of a bench role.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
@Sarni you called it
I don't know how I feel about that. I felt that Norm was worth may more than just Trent and Hood. With that said, despite Trent having potential to be a good player and Rodney Hood being a decent 3&D player, I'm not sure if they'll fill the void that Norm has left, currently. If this is all, then the Trailblazers have gotten a good deal out of this. Let's hope we get info on any potential future picks from Portland.

EDIT: Gary Trent Jr.'s also a RFA. Uh oh...

Last edited:

Sarni

I don't know how I feel about that. I felt that Norm was worth may more than just Trent and Hood. With that said, despite Trent having potential to be a good player and Rodney Hood being a decent 3&D player, I'm not sure if they'll fill the void that Norm has left, currently. If this is all, then the Trailblazers have gotten a good deal out of this. Let's hope we get info on any potential future picks from Portland.

I think it's a fair deal for both sides. Hood was good for us in 18-19 but obviously missed large chunk of 19-20 after starting well, and hasn't found his feet this season but at his best he was really good. Trent is already a very good SG and him being RFA actually gives you a good chance to keep him as I don't expect him to get more than $8m per year range.

For us we are getting a big improvement at the 3 and consolidate our starting 5 as Dame, CJ, Norm, RoCo and Nurk which I think is one of the stongest in the league.

Sarni

Gordon is a Nugget. At the price they paid I'm surprised Blazers haven't stepped in here to be fair. Hampton, Harris and a 2025 first. We could have given them Anf, random salary filler and the same pick. He'd have been lovely here. Ah I'm just being greedy.

Sarni

Phila has got George HIll for two seconds. Probably out of the race for Lowry then. Miami it is, I think.

Then again Phila have kept all the assets they'd need in Lowry trade...

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
I think it's a fair deal for both sides. Hood was good for us in 18-19 but obviously missed large chunk of 19-20 after starting well, and hasn't found his feet this season but at his best he was really good. Trent is already a very good SG and him being RFA actually gives you a good chance to keep him as I don't expect him to get more than $8m per year range.

For us we are getting a big improvement at the 3 and consolidate our starting 5 as Dame, CJ, Norm, RoCo and Nurk which I think is one of the stongest in the league.
Is Gary Trent Jr. able to make his own shots like Norm can? From his stats, he looks pretty good from the 3-point line but inconsistent otherwise. Also, how is he defensively? I know that Norm wasn't so good defensive in his younger years but had the quickness and athleticism to keep up with the best players. Is Trent in a similar position?

My concern with Trent is if another team offers him a contract that's too large for us only to not do much with him afterwards (basically what happened to McCaw with the Cavs). Losing him would also mean that we will only have Hood for Norm Powell, which would be concerning.

On the other hand, Norm's in the final year of his contract, and he's going to be an UFA, so having a RFA in his place helps us out as well as the player having a good amount of potential.

Sarni

Is Gary Trent Jr. able to make his own shots like Norm can? From his stats, he looks pretty good from the 3-point line but inconsistent otherwise. Also, how is he defensively? I know that Norm wasn't so good defensive in his younger years but had the quickness and athleticism to keep up with the best players. Is Trent in a similar position?

My concern with Trent is if another team offers him a contract that's too large for us only to not do much with him afterwards (basically what happened to McCaw with the Cavs). Losing him would also mean that we will only have Hood for Norm Powell, which would be concerning.

On the other hand, Norm's in the final year of his contract, and he's going to be an UFA, so having a RFA in his place helps us out as well as the player having a good amount of potential.
He can create his own shot and is all right defensively. He's developed a lot over last year and is barely 22. His ceiling is probably about the same as current Norm (who as you say wasn't even that highly rated and was considered a bad deal at $11m a year at one point).

I don't think anyone will offer big money to Trent. $8m to $10m range per year maximum. And as you say, you will still at least have a chance to match and keep him. With Norm he will probably get north of $15m.

entropy

Gary is solid. If raptors can resign him you're set.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
He can create his own shot and is all right defensively. He's developed a lot over last year and is barely 22. His ceiling is probably about the same as current Norm (who as you say wasn't even that highly rated and was considered a bad deal at $11m a year at one point).

I don't think anyone will offer big money to Trent. $8m to $10m range per year maximum. And as you say, you will still at least have a chance to match and keep him. With Norm he will probably get north of $15m.
Gary is solid. If raptors can resign him you're set.
I wish we can re-sign Trent to $8-10 million per season. That'd be a great deal for us. I've always been impressed by him whenever the Raptors would play the Trailblazers, so I'm looking fowrard to watching him play for us. The Raptors do have a decent young core, but most of the players are raw with unfulfilled potential. Hopefully they can take the steps to get better just like both Boucher and Watson did.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Rondo to the Clippers for Lou Will. That's a great move for LAC.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout

I'm sorry, but this is a terrible deal. TD isn't that bad, and he has tons of upside. The only problem is that he isn't good enough for a first-round pick, but still, they got a great deal out of this.

EDIT: I guess this makes room for a major Lowry trade, but man, it'll suck losing out on someone who had so much upside to this game.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout

This is great news for me, personally, given our young roster. However, losing Davis for just a 2nd round pick will suck.

Sarni

You can tell Raptors were working to move Lowry until the last minute but couldn’t find the deal. Moving Davis and Thomas was clearly with opening up roster spots on mind.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
You can tell Raptors were working to move Lowry until the last minute but couldn’t find the deal. Moving Davis and Thomas was clearly with opening up roster spots on mind.
I'm just hoping that we either get a really good Lowry replacement when he becomes a free agent or sign him to a smaller contract to make room for another major FA signing.

Sarni

I'm just hoping that we either get a really good Lowry replacement when he becomes a free agent or sign him to a smaller contract to make room for another major FA signing.
Best case scenario for Raptors is to mail it in this season, get lucky in lottery and grab Cade or Mobley, extend Lowry for a decent deal and grab Kawhi back from free agency. I think I went too far with Kawhi. :lol:

Sarni

You have to wonder what Rockets thought process was in flipping LeVert for Oladipo with no other assets attached in the deal. It was clear Oladipo wasn’t at his best after injury and they had only two months to try and recover some of his stock. They ended up losing him for absolutely nothing when they could have tried LeVert, a better player at his point, in that role and still flipped him in the Summer for good assets.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
You have to wonder what Rockets thought process was in flipping LeVert for Oladipo with no other assets attached in the deal. It was clear Oladipo wasn’t at his best after injury and they had only two months to try and recover some of his stock. They ended up losing him for absolutely nothing when they could have tried LeVert, a better player at his point, in that role and still flipped him in the Summer for good assets.
Shedding salary. Their owner is a tight bum.

Sarni

Shedding salary. Their owner is a tight bum.
You could shed salary by moving LeVert for something in the Summer though? I mean pick swap they received in Oladipo deal is completely useless anyway.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
You could shed salary by moving LeVert for something in the Summer though? I mean pick swap they received in Oladipo deal is completely useless anyway.
Based on the players contracts who aren't ending this summer, Rockets are already over 90m+ in salary. No real point in adding players when they guaranteed to be in rebuild mode.

Besides, they dumped Morey and wanted to go in a new direction, God knows what direction that is.

Sarni

Based on the players contracts who aren't ending this summer, Rockets are already over 90m+ in salary. No real point in adding players when they guaranteed to be in rebuild mode.

Besides, they dumped Morey and wanted to go in a new direction, God knows what direction that is.
Yeah and Wall is $44m of that. They could be able to move on from Gordon though (I think he’s expiring next year and still a good player).

R'hllor

Good game Pelicans vs Nuggets, Zion is really good, hope his knees and ankles stay healthy.

ZDwyr

Zion has taken a pretty clear step forward in his development this season. Looks really good.