NBA 2020-2021

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Have any draft analyst apologized for making us believe that the 2020 draft was weak? Almost every team seems to be happy with their rookies and for good reasons.

ThierryHenry

wishes he could watch Arsenal games with KM
When they’re good (not guaranteed), I really really enjoy watching the Pelicans. And I’ve completely come round on Zion now, he is invincible. Going to be one of the best players in the league very soon, if he’s not already.

Note: I’m only on the second quarter of Pels v Blazers, so you can laugh at me if they this was a stupid time to post this.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
When they’re good (not guaranteed), I really really enjoy watching the Pelicans. And I’ve completely come round on Zion now, he is invincible. Going to be one of the best players in the league very soon, if he’s not already.

Note: I’m only on the second quarter of Pels v Blazers, so you can laugh at me if they this was a stupid time to post this.
He still has no sense for playing defense and anyone being guarded by him will be feasting

ThierryHenry

He still has no sense for playing defense and anyone being guarded by him will be feasting
I think he’s looking better to that end. And he’s still played what, only 60 games? And with historic levels of scoring and efficiency.

Improvement on defence will come, that’s almost inevitable for such a young player. If he can become passable there, then I don’t see any reason he couldn’t become the most impactful player in the league in time.

elmo

I think he’s looking better to that end. And he’s still played what, only 60 games? And with historic levels of scoring and efficiency.

Improvement on defence will come, that’s almost inevitable for such a young player. If he can become passable there, then I don’t see any reason he couldn’t become the most impactful player in the league in time.
That's actually the hardest thing for most players to improve and given how little effort Zion has shown on that end so far, it doesn't bode well for him.

ThierryHenry

Well... :lol:

The Pelicans are such a funny team. So unpredictable. And Dame is just a master, that fourth quarter was amazing. Glad I watched it at least!

entropy

"But in a way, Dame Time has become a curse for this organization.
See, almost every season, Lillard’s excellence lifts the Blazers to heights that nobody expected. If he’s not scoring 60, he’s hitting ridiculous game-winners. And if he isn’t winning games with his shot, he’s drawing charges to seal victories.
But while those spectacular efforts are high-level entertainment, they often mask the Blazers’ warts. We get so wrapped up in his excellence that we forget that Al-Farouq Aminu and Maurice Harkless can’t consistently hit enough 3s to keep a playoff defense honest. We become so intoxicated by Lillard’s heroics that we forget Allen Crabbe, Evan Turner and Ed Davis are not a deep enough bench to win a playoff series.
He has been so powerfully brilliant that I believe the team, the organization and the fan base have become blinded to reality — or at least conditioned to think the team is better than it really is."

Last edited:

JPRouve

Scout
So Meyers Leonard has been traded to OKC while Ariza joins the Heat. Leonard is probably getting bought out.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
So Meyers Leonard has been traded to OKC while Ariza joins the Heat. Leonard is probably getting bought out.
He most likely is.

Ariza will be a good bench option for the Heat. His length in defence and his 3-point shooting will be useful for them.

Zen

Is it now normal to trade picks ..... 6 years in advance?

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Is it now normal to trade picks ..... 6 years in advance?
Well Ariza’s value is close to nothing so shedding a bit of that salary and getting anything in return is actually a fairly good deal for OKC.

Sarni

Tucker gone to for what is essentially moving up a few spots in 2021 draft and changing 2022 to 2023 first rounder. Fair value probably, I didn’t think he was going to fetch much more than this. I would have preferred him in Miami though.

I only just realized Houston’s pick swap with OKC is only 1-4 protected and they get Miami pick back instead of OKC anyway. Fair chance OKC could have two top 10 picks this year.

Sarni

Have any draft analyst apologized for making us believe that the 2020 draft was weak? Almost every team seems to be happy with their rookies and for good reasons.
Indeed! All top 3 picks doing very well, especially LaMelo who has turned Charlotte from the least interesting team in the league to a League Pass sensation. They are by far the most fun team to watch right now. Edwards has been stepping up recently too, I would probably feel more confident having him as my franchise cornerstone than Towns.

elmo

Up 15 and we threw the game away.

So frustrating with all the turnovers tonight. We had double digits in turnovers in the first quarter alone.

Hope the team come out all guns blazing tmr for the rematch against the Timberwolves.

JPRouve

Scout
I went from wanting Russell traded at all cost to wanting him in the team asap, if you add a shooter or two around Edwards and Kat, there should be no way to stop either of them. At the moment they are taking lots of shots and being the only focus of defenses because the other guys are some of the worst shooters in the league.

elmo

He most likely is.

Ariza will be a good bench option for the Heat. His length in defence and his 3-point shooting will be useful for them.
Ariza hasn't played defense for quite a while now.

Might change since he's on a playoff team again but feck that cnut.

AFC NimbleThumb

So the Lakers might aswell shit down the season, I wouldn’t bother rushing either him nor Davis back unless in serious danger of missing out on the Top 6 places in the West.

Also, this throws the MVP race way off! Surely Harden can’t get it after his Houston exit :lol:

Ladron de redcafe

So the Lakers might aswell shit down the season, I wouldn’t bother rushing either him nor Davis back unless in serious danger of missing out on the Top 6 places in the West.

Also, this throws the MVP race way off! Surely Harden can’t get it after his Houston exit :lol:
By process of elimination, he has to be in there. Everyone is seeing his MVP bid wrecked. The injuries haven't been kind to Embiid and LeBron.

But for the Lakers, it's ultimately all about the championship and if they can get Davis and LeBron healthy by the playoffs, that's all that matters to them because they'll fancy themsleves against anybody, when they're at full strength.

Black Adder

Rarer than an eclipse.
As soon as I've seen he's had only played 10 min knew I should't read the news.

Hope he recovers for playoff, Davis should be fine (he's like 2,3 weeks from coming back) but without James there's no chance in hell in defending the title.

Ladron de redcafe

Given that they were a lottery team before Davis joined, it's just as true that without Davis, there's no chance they defend the title.

ZDwyr

Wasn't it just an ankle sprain? He'll be back way before the playoffs.

charlton66

Supports
Golden State
Another loss for the Dubs last night but I've got to say I've really been impressed with Jordan Poole since he came back up from the G League. He tied his career high last night with 26, after scoring 25 the night before. Its early days yet but between him and Wiseman the Warriors could have a sound young base to go along with Steph, Klay and Draymond going forward.

Black Adder

Rarer than an eclipse.
Given that they were a lottery team before Davis joined, it's just as true that without Davis, there's no chance they defend the title.
Yep, he really did transform them and gave platform for James to run to show.

Hope both will be available for playoff, they complement each other almost perfectly and being Lakers fan (blame Shaq for that) there's nothing sweeter than seeing them in full flow.

Zen

The Lakers almost certainly would of made the playoffs in 2018/19 had LeBron played 70+ games and not 55.... the last 20 of which he kinda forced himself back to get them back in contention. No team with LeBron is ever a "lottery team".... saying that just overrates AD's impact, which is great, but he wouldn't be able to keep them in the mix without LeBron like LeBron can do without him.

But, in a similar situation to 18/19.... a few quick losses will likely force them to rush AD back, GSW haven't got a brutal schedule... but Grizzlies have(Utah x 3 in next couple weeks etc), so they should be mostly safe even with a few losses.

Ladron de redcafe

Yep, he really did transform them and gave platform for James to run to show.

Hope both will be available for playoff, they complement each other almost perfectly and being Lakers fan (blame Shaq for that) there's nothing sweeter than seeing them in full flow.
Shaq was phenomenal back then. He wasn't just the undisputed best player on the planet but heads and shoulders above everyone else.

Davis and LeBron do complement each other in a way that Wade and a younger LeBron didn't. LeBron is allowed to run the floor and play his game without Davis becoming redundant. And Davis provides a weapon in the post the way Wade didn't.

Black Adder

Rarer than an eclipse.
Shaq was phenomenal back then. He wasn't just the undisputed best player on the planet but heads and shoulders above everyone else.

Davis and LeBron do complement each other in a way that Wade and a younger LeBron didn't. LeBron is allowed to run the floor and play his game without Davis becoming redundant. And Davis provides a weapon in the post the way Wade didn't.
Man I was only 11 years old when he first came to Lakers. Don't rembember which game was on our national tv, but seeing that man mountain in yellow jersey was enough for me to become laker for life. The way he bullied everyone, don't expect to see another force of nature like that in my life time.

Was really angry and dissapointed with his departure from Lakers, although from later interviews with him and Kobe seems like it was for the best, glad they've put their differences aside and become friend off the court, but for me there will forever be "what if he stayed".

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
It's strange to be so nonchalant about a 20 game losing sttreak.

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
Man I was only 11 years old when he first came to Lakers. Don't rembember which game was on our national tv, but seeing that man mountain in yellow jersey was enough for me to become laker for life. The way he bullied everyone, don't expect to see another force of nature like that in my life time.

Was really angry and dissapointed with his departure from Lakers, although from later interviews with him and Kobe seems like it was for the best, glad they've put their differences aside and become friend off the court, but for me there will forever be "what if he stayed".
Should have seen him at LSU. That was man among boys.

Ladron de redcafe

Should have seen him at LSU. That was man among boys.
He really should have been in the 92 Dream team. I think your point applies from his college days till around 2004 or so. He was ragdolling even the best centers in the league, including David Robinson and Sabonis, who were enormous themsleves.

Sarni

The Lakers almost certainly would of made the playoffs in 2018/19 had LeBron played 70+ games and not 55.... the last 20 of which he kinda forced himself back to get them back in contention. No team with LeBron is ever a "lottery team".... saying that just overrates AD's impact, which is great, but he wouldn't be able to keep them in the mix without LeBron like LeBron can do without him.

But, in a similar situation to 18/19.... a few quick losses will likely force them to rush AD back, GSW haven't got a brutal schedule... but Grizzlies have(Utah x 3 in next couple weeks etc), so they should be mostly safe even with a few losses.
He was playing pretty much every game up until they went 30-36 or something, I thought? I was at a game against Bucks in early March (beautiful times!) where they went into that at 30-31, led for much of it and were close to bringing it back to 31-31 but lost in the end. He then folded when they lost the next few games and were beyond help.

Ah he missed a few weeks in January when they went 6-9 or something. But were still above .500 after that run.

Zen

He was playing pretty much every game up until they went 30-36 or something, I thought? I was at a game against Bucks in early March (beautiful times!) where they went into that at 30-31, led for much of it and were close to bringing it back to 31-31 but lost in the end. He then folded when they lost the next few games and were beyond help.

Ah he missed a few weeks in January when they went 6-9 or something. But were still above .500 after that run.
He went out like Christmas Day or Boxing Day 20-14.... 4th I think. 6-11 in that stretch without forced him to come too soon... finishing 11-20 where they basically plummeted. 20-14 was .588%, who knows really, they would of been in a dogfight for 6th to 8th(.598 .585x2).... but I'm giving a fully fit LeBron the push in that case. Not the not fit enough to even attempt D LeBron that had to return.