NBA 2020-2021

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
I'm glad most of us can join forces in hating the Clippers and hoping they crash out of the playoffs at the earliest possibility. It's an annual event I don't wanna see ended anytime soon.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
I know that. It's just seemed like Charlton was likening OKC and the Wolves. The Mavs just lengthened their bench in that game but even then the Wolves haven't been an "easy" opponent for a while now.
Wolves at full strength with everyone healthy should be .500 or better next year, I guess. Towns had a mixed season for obvious reasons but Edwards has shown glimpses of fantastic talent in the second half of this season, McDaniels and Reid look like good rotational options. If they can get a top 3 pick they should be making play-in at least next year, whether they trade it for a ready now player or grab someone like Cade or Mobley.

Charlie Foley

Are you a Phoenix fan? I'd love to see him as well, but I truly don't think they actually have a shot of making it to the playoffs by winning 2 consecutive play-in games against better teams.
What? We need to win 1 of 2 games. Crazy to say that, assuming the Lakers beat us, we “don’t have a shot” against Grizzlies or Spurs.

Sarni

Are you a Phoenix fan? I'd love to see him as well, but I truly don't think they actually have a shot of making it to the playoffs by winning 2 consecutive play-in games against better teams.
Nah I'm a Lakers fan. They don't need to win 2 consecutive though do they? If they lose against us they'd play the winner of the Grizzlies-Spurs game for the #8 seed, very winnable if Steph is on his game.
Yeah they only need to win 1 game, yesterday's win ensure that. It basically bought them an extra attempt against Lakers, however unlikely their win in that game may be. It's probably going to be Warriors v Grizzlies again.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Wolves at full strength with everyone healthy should be .500 or better next year, I guess. Towns had a mixed season for obvious reasons but Edwards has shown glimpses of fantastic talent in the second half of this season, McDaniels and Reid look like good rotational options. If they can get a top 3 pick they should be making play-in at least next year, whether they trade it for a ready now player or grab someone like Cade or Mobley.
McDaniels is a starter at the 3 more than a rotational player. Reid's role in the future is going to be interesting, under Finch he has become a combo 4/5 and has been pretty good alongside KAT but a true starting power forward could be a game changer.

ThierryHenry

wishes he could watch Arsenal games with KM
On the Nets front;
1) Kyrie makes it to 50/40/90 for the season.
2) Just watch this ludicrous bucket from last night:

ThierryHenry

wishes he could watch Arsenal games with KM
I don’t really get Bucks either. It’s not like they’ve been blowing teams in the playoffs and Heat destroyed them last year.
The Bucks then rest their whole team for last night's game vs. Chicago. Wtf was the point in playing the starters vs. Miami in that case, and giving themselves the worst possible match-up for the play-offs?

Sarni

The Bucks then rest their whole team for last night's game vs. Chicago. Wtf was the point in playing the starters vs. Miami in that case, and giving themselves the worst possible match-up for the play-offs?
Frankly no idea. Probably just to make a statement 'we do not fear anybody'. They should. Even if they get past Heat they'll be exhausted after that series.

charlton66

Supports
Golden State
OK, regular season is over its time for awards.

All NBA teams:

NBA have made a number of players eligible in multiple positions. My criteria is that if you have played in that position that's fair enough. Examples: Embiid at forward is off the table since he's a center and doesn't play forward. Luka at forward is OK because he has played there so is eligible. I'm also going with a game minimum of 40.

First team:

Steph Curry,
Chris Paul,
Jimmy Butler
Giannis Antetokounmpo
Nikola Jokic

The only tough choice for me was picking Butler over Doncic at forward. It's the toss of a coin, but the fact that forward is not Luka's primary position was the deciding factor.

Second team:

Damian Lillard
Luka Doncic
Julius Randle
Kawhi Leonard
Joel Embiid

Third team:

Kyrie Irving
Bradley Beal
Lebron James
Jason Tatum
Rudy Gobert

This was where it really got tough. Leaving James Harden off the third team was tough since he met my 40 game minimum and IMLTHO is the second best guard in the league behind Steph. However, availability is still one of the greatest abilities an athlete can have and so Kyrie (who averaged 50/40/90 for the year) and Bradley Beal (who along with Russ carried the Wizards into the no. 8 seed) both played over 50 games and therefore edged him out. Talking off Russ, leaving him out was difficult as well but I just though Beal was ever so slightly more important to the Wizards than Westbrook.

Jason Tatum over Zion was also a difficult choice but the bottom line was that even with all the injuries and Covid problems the Celtics had, Tatum got them to the playoffs (play in) whereas Zion didn't with the Pels. It also didn't hurt watching Tatum go head to head with Steph during his hot streak/stretch/season (?) scoring 44 against Steph's 47 to edge the game.

Executive of the Year - Sean Marks
Coach of the Year - Tom Thibodeau
Rookie of the Year - Anthony Edwards
Defensive Player of the Year - Ben Simmons
Sixth Man of the Year - Jordan Clarkson
Most Improved Player - Julius Randle
MVP - Stephen Curry

I was going to go along with the season long narrative that Jokic is the MVP and when is all said and done he is probably going to win. However, if Lebron thinks Steph is MVP that's good enough for me.

All Defensive team(s)

As @elmo pointed out not a whole lot of defense has been played in the NBA this year so rather than trying to trawl through statistics to find a second team I'm just going to go with the one.

Jrue Holiday
Ben Simmons
Draymond Green
Jimmy Butler
Rudy Gobert

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Toronto with 7th best odds is pretty cool actually. I understand them taking a year off this time, with shorter bench and playing in Tampa. They didn't even have to tank that heavily to get there, only taking off the last 3-4 weeks properly but still being competitive in many games during that time. I hope they get a high pick.
Toronto looking unsettled for their whole stay in Tampa was so apparent. They were able to get going in a few matches, but more often than not, they looked like a team that as playing an away game even when they were at "home" in the Amalie Arena. Fred VanVleet even commented on this yesterday, talking about how the Raptors would be in Garbage Time mode for most of the matches in the last few weeks of the season and how they're just glad that this season's over. They're all looking forward to going back to Toronto and never really viewed Tampa as their "home court".

I'm not really sure what to expect from the draft, and I honestly don't see how we can get an immediate benefit for next season. We're in dire need of a big to challenge for next season, whilst we also need a couple of quality guards, especially if we can't sign up Gary Trent Jr.

Sarni

Should be a good series for Blazers against Nuggets. I'd be almost certain we'll lose if Murray was playing but there's maybe an outside chance now without him, especially as Nuggets depth is much worse than it was even a year ago before they let Beasley and Hernangomez go. Dozier and Campazzo will be getting minutes in the playoffs and they're not that great. Definitely prefer this matchup over Clippers who wouldn't have any trouble beating us.

Sarni

Toronto looking unsettled for their whole stay in Tampa was so apparent. They were able to get going in a few matches, but more often than not, they looked like a team that as playing an away game even when they were at "home" in the Amalie Arena. Fred VanVleet even commented on this yesterday, talking about how the Raptors would be in Garbage Time mode for most of the matches in the last few weeks of the season and how they're just glad that this season's over. They're all looking forward to going back to Toronto and never really viewed Tampa as their "home court".

I'm not really sure what to expect from the draft, and I honestly don't see how we can get an immediate benefit for next season. We're in dire need of a big to challenge for next season, whilst we also need a couple of quality guards, especially if we can't sign up Gary Trent Jr.
They were mostly away from their families too from what I remember (especially older players who wouldn't want to relocate their children), which would have sucked for them as well.

Well Toronto have 33% shot at getting a top 4 pick and 7.5% to get no. 1 so could quite possibly land someone who may make impact within 1-3 years, which I think the likes of Cunningham, Mobley and maybe even Suggs, Green or Kuminga could be capable of. That's a very good opportunity. I really think this was a wise move to 'tank' the season and get a high pick, I wish Blazers had done the same 4 years ago instead of fighting until last game just to get swept by Warriors. Well we still managed to get a 10th pick through and blew it by selecting Collins ahead of Mitchell, Adebayo among others (could have got John Collins, Kyle Kuzma and OG Anunoby if we kept 15, 20 and 26 hindsight is great - I need that time machine :lol:)

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
They were mostly away from their families too from what I remember (especially older players who wouldn't want to relocate their children), which would have sucked for them as well.

Well Toronto have 33% shot at getting a top 4 pick and 7.5% to get no. 1 so could quite possibly land someone who may make impact within 1-3 years, which I think the likes of Cunningham, Mobley and maybe even Suggs, Green or Kuminga could be capable of. That's a very good opportunity.
Yeah, we've put ourselves in a decent position, for sure. It's just the room we were making for a major free agent this year might hold us back a bit for next season and possibly the season after. There are still a few decent free agents available, but I'm not sure about how willing they'd be to come to Toronto.

Sarni

Yeah, we've put ourselves in a decent position, for sure. It's just the room we were making for a major free agent this year might hold us back a bit for next season and possibly the season after. There are still a few decent free agents available, but I'm not sure about how willing they'd be to come to Toronto.
Yeah especially as there's no free agent. Though the sacrifice to get there was not so significant from what I remember, it basically just took letting Ibaka and Gasol go last year but main young players were extended at a good price (OG, FVV, Siakam, Boucher). Actually given the unappealing free agency next year I suspect Lowry may get an extension at something like $10m a year.

I think Toronto is a very appealing destination for free agents. Not the city itself but the culture they've set is something many will want to take part in.

Sarni

OK, regular season is over its time for awards.

All NBA teams:

NBA have made a number of players eligible in multiple positions. My criteria is that if you have played in that position that's fair enough. Examples: Embiid at forward is off the table since he's a center and doesn't play forward. Luka at forward is OK because he has played there so is eligible. I'm also going with a game minimum of 40.

First team:

Steph Curry,
Chris Paul,
Jimmy Butler
Giannis Antetokounmpo
Nikola Jokic

The only tough choice for me was picking Butler over Doncic at forward. It's the toss of a coin, but the fact that forward is not Luka's primary position was the deciding factor.

Second team:

Damian Lillard
Luka Doncic
Julius Randle
Kawhi Leonard
Joel Embiid

Third team:

Kyrie Irving
Bradley Beal
Lebron James
Jason Tatum
Rudy Gobert

This was where it really got tough. Leaving James Harden off the third team was tough since he met my 40 game minimum and IMLTHO is the second best guard in the league behind Steph. However, availability is still one of the greatest abilities an athlete can have and so Kyrie (who averaged 50/40/90 for the year) and Bradley Beal (who along with Russ carried the Wizards into the no. 8 seed) both played over 50 games and therefore edged him out. Talking off Russ, leaving him out was difficult as well but I just though Beal was ever so slightly more important to the Wizards than Westbrook.

Jason Tatum over Zion was also a difficult choice but the bottom line was that even with all the injuries and Covid problems the Celtics had, Tatum got them to the playoffs (play in) whereas Zion didn't with the Pels. It also didn't hurt watching Tatum go head to head with Steph during his hot streak/stretch/season (?) scoring 44 against Steph's 47 to edge the game.

Executive of the Year - Sean Marks
Coach of the Year - Tom Thibodeau
Rookie of the Year - Anthony Edwards
Defensive Player of the Year - Ben Simmons
Sixth Man of the Year - Jordan Clarkson
Most Improved Player - Julius Randle
MVP - Stephen Curry

I was going to go along with the season long narrative that Jokic is the MVP and when is all said and done he is probably going to win. However, if Lebron thinks Steph is MVP that's good enough for me.

All Defensive team(s)

As @elmo pointed out not a whole lot of defense has been played in the NBA this year so rather than trying to trawl through statistics to find a second team I'm just going to go with the one.

Jrue Holiday
Ben Simmons
Draymond Green
Jimmy Butler
Rudy Gobert
Mine:

1st team: Curry, Lillard, Randle, Giannis, Jokic
2nd team: Doncic, Paul, Butler, Kawhi, Embiid
3rd team: Westbrook, Kyrie, George, Zion, Gobert

LeBron will get there though him essentially not playing second half of season was the decisive factor for me. At guard it's really a toss up between Dame and Doncic for the first team, and to be fair I had hard time picking between Westbrook and Beal but what swinged it for me is that Wizards started doing well when Westbrook got his thing together - when it was Beal doing well they'd still been losing 2 in 3.

COTY: Thibs
ROTY: LaMelo
DPOY: Gobert
6MOY: Clarkson
MIP: Randle (the most obvious one ever)
MVP: Jokic (super obvious for me as well)

Don't really care about all-defensive teams to be honest.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Yeah especially as there's no free agent. Though the sacrifice to get there was not so significant from what I remember, it basically just took letting Ibaka and Gasol go last year but main young players were extended at a good price (OG, FVV, Siakam, Boucher). Actually given the unappealing free agency next year I suspect Lowry may get an extension at something like $10m a year.

I think Toronto is a very appealing destination for free agents. Not the city itself but the culture they've set is something many will want to take part in.
The team culture and such is just a means to an end from what I can see. Most young players will be happy to start off with us, but eventually, they'll look to move on just like the coaches have. You can see that with the kind of players that we attract, too. They're mostly young players or players who are looking to establish themselves in the NBA.

JPRouve

Scout
Looking back at the draft, it seems that the Timberwolves struck gold with all their first round picks, Balmaro is apparently developing nicely at Barcelona and could be a great prospect. McDaniels and Edwards look like the backbone of the future team, when you take into account the fact that Nowell and Reid have also been promising, the Wolves FO has done a great job when it comes to drafting/bringing young players with the exception of Culver who is a big miss.

reelworld

I'm maybe biased as feck, but there's no way Sean Marks deserves to be EOTY before James Jones. Jones have been absolutely turn the Suns around in 2 season, in a more difficult conference. He built the second best team in the league from a team that's not even qualified for the playoffs the season before.
I don't think what Marks done with getting Harden is nothing to write about, he already got Kyrie and Durant teaming up, and Harden wanted to come badly. All he need to do is just clearing up the space for Harden.

But James Jones managed to convince Chris Paul to come to Phoenix, who haven't been in playoffs in 10 years. He also able to convince Monty Williams, who is courted by Lakers and should be in the running for COTY this season, to also come over. He also built one of the deepest bench in the league. Cam Payne and Torrey Craig pickup is one of the bargains of the season. Payne has developed into one of the best backup PG in the league and there's not alot of players who could out hustle Torrey Craig off the bench. He's been phenomenal and should be clear winner of EOTY

charlton66

Supports
Golden State
I'm maybe biased as feck, but there's no way Sean Marks deserves to be EOTY before James Jones. Jones have been absolutely turn the Suns around in 2 season, in a more difficult conference. He built the second best team in the league from a team that's not even qualified for the playoffs the season before.
I don't think what Marks done with getting Harden is nothing to write about, he already got Kyrie and Durant teaming up, and Harden wanted to come badly. All he need to do is just clearing up the space for Harden.

But James Jones managed to convince Chris Paul to come to Phoenix, who haven't been in playoffs in 10 years. He also able to convince Monty Williams, who is courted by Lakers and should be in the running for COTY this season, to also come over. He also built one of the deepest bench in the league. Cam Payne and Torrey Craig pickup is one of the bargains of the season. Payne has developed into one of the best backup PG in the league and there's not alot of players who could out hustle Torrey Craig off the bench. He's been phenomenal and should be clear winner of EOTY
Here's the deal. James Jones could quite possibly win EOTY. He would not be my choice. Yes, he did convince Chris Paul to come to the Suns and Chris Paul has done very well. I have him 1st team all NBA. Everything else is a little bit "smoke and mirrors." The Suns are not the second best team in the Western Conference they just have the second best record. Utah and both LA teams are better (ask the bookies) and if Jamal Murray hadn't have got hurt they would probably fall to 5th. Monty William's has had a great year. I would have picked him 2nd for COTY but even after this year I would be surprised if many picked him as one of the top 10 coaches in the NBA. Long term it could turn out to be a great hire, as of now (for me) the jury is out.

Sean Marks on the other hand in the last 12 months has traded for Bruce Brown and Landry Shamet who have both provided good starter and back up minutes, brought in Blake Griffin via buyout who has done the same and probably would have worked out something similar with LaMarcus Aldridge if not for his unfortunate medical condition. As to the James Harden trade. Sure he wanted to go to the Nets (amongst others) but that was only because Marks pulled off a massive coup the previous year of getting Kyrie and KD to NJ and even then it took a 4 team trade to get it done for Harden. Then there's Steve Nash. KD wanted him as head coach presumably due to the relationship they had built at the Dubs. I have no idea whether this will turn out to be a good long term hire or not but bringing in Mike D'Antoni as an assistant to help ease his transition into that head coaching position I believe was a masterstroke especially since I believe Harden was also looking at the Sixers (with Daryl Morey) and the D'Antoni hire tipped the scales for the Nets.

Anyway, those are my thoughts. I wasn't trying to denigrate what James Jones has done for the Suns (I have him 2nd). It's just that Sean Marks would be my pick

Last edited:

JPRouve

Scout
Todays drama is amazing. Kwame Brown has been roasting Matt Barnes for a few days. :lol:

Rooney1987

Wouldn't it be better to face the Lakers now injured players just getting, still needing to click and playing the play in games. You catch in conference finals that means they're clicking.

ZDwyr

Pretty anti-climactic play-in games in the East in terms of the closeness of games. Monster performance by Tatum though.

peanuthead

Very surprised by the results tonight. I expected both the Hornets and Wizards to win. Westbrook left midway through the 4th injured, hope its not serious so he can go Thursday vs Pacers. On a another note I just hope Lebron doesn't dick around tomorrow with that shitty Warriors team. Put the game to bed early.

Sandyman

So the East draw is Sixers, Pacers/Wizards, Hawks and Knicks on one side and Nets, Celtics, Bucks, Heat on the other side :lol:

The stars are aligning for Sixers :drool::drool:

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
So the East draw is Sixers, Pacers/Wizards, Hawks and Knicks on one side and Nets, Celtics, Bucks, Heat on the other side :lol:

The stars are aligning for Sixers :drool::drool:
Meh, maybe to get to the Conference Finals but can't see them getting past the team who comes out of the other side of the bracket and the West champion tbh.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
Monty announced as COTY

Edit: apparently the one he won was voted by the coaches in the league and it's not the official COTY which is voted by the media.

Last edited:

Sandyman

Meh, maybe to get to the Conference Finals but can't see them getting past the team who comes out of the other side of the bracket and the West champion tbh.
Still a better chance to make it than if they were on the other side though.

Sarni

The issue I have with executive of the year award is that teams are not built in the short term. Marks wouldn't be getting the award based purely on offseason moves but on where his team is compared to where they were 2-3 years ago which was basically complete shambles with no picks, no talent and no prospects for future.

I appreciate what Jones has done, especially picking up Payne and Craig and giving them a role, but Marks has come a longer way and had a tougher job. Also I still maintain Jones has blown two high picks in a row on Cam Johnson and Jalen Smith. Cam is not a bad player and he may have been the right fit but he was absolutely a reach at 11 and Suns should have got another asset by trading down. It's not a monumental mistake or anything and is more than offset by the fact that they traded down from 6 (Culver) and picked up Saric in the meantime in going for Johnson, and that the Zhaire + Miami pick for Bridges was a tremendous deal (it wasn't Jones though, or was it?).

ETOY is a pointless award anyway. This should be given with a clear mention 'look at the last x years' not just a season where you are virtually assessing these people based on 2-3 moves, it's not enough to assess anyone. Sometimes executives will literally get this because of one trade.

SinNombre

Intense first half; Draymond and Wiggins have been immense and double-teamed Curry finally got going in the second period.

This Warriors team will be a contender if Klay returns as well as KD has.

mav_9me

First NBA game I'm watching this season. Been good.

But can't help but thinking how it would be different if Klay was fit.