NBA 2020-2021

peanuthead

This game shouldn't of been this close. AD, Bron and Dennis were awful for the most part, they only started playing in the second half. AD need to up his game for Sunday, The Suns are no joke.

SinNombre

Good game but a bit too influenced by the reffing in the final quarter. The non-stop complaining likely helped.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
Shite way to lose considering how well the Dubs played . Even on that play they played great defence and got hit by a desperation 3 after a travel by KCP . That Draymond moving screen ....

mav_9me

Shite way to lose considering how well the Dubs played . Even on that play they played great defence and got hit by a desperation 3 after a travel by KCP . That Draymond moving screen ....
That's just terrible refereeing. Sigh.

charlton66

Supports
Golden State
That was worse than getting blown out. I just hope they can get over such a tough loss before Friday. :(

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
There were so many bad calls that by the end the commentators even stopped talking about it. I mean they call JTA for a charge which Kerr manages to get reversed and of course stupid NBA rules mean you still lose your challenge. Two minutes later they call Wiggins for a bullshit charge on Wed Matthews

reelworld

The issue I have with executive of the year award is that teams are not built in the short term. Marks wouldn't be getting the award based purely on offseason moves but on where his team is compared to where they were 2-3 years ago which was basically complete shambles with no picks, no talent and no prospects for future.

I appreciate what Jones has done, especially picking up Payne and Craig and giving them a role, but Marks has come a longer way and had a tougher job. Also I still maintain Jones has blown two high picks in a row on Cam Johnson and Jalen Smith. Cam is not a bad player and he may have been the right fit but he was absolutely a reach at 11 and Suns should have got another asset by trading down. It's not a monumental mistake or anything and is more than offset by the fact that they traded down from 6 (Culver) and picked up Saric in the meantime in going for Johnson, and that the Zhaire + Miami pick for Bridges was a tremendous deal (it wasn't Jones though, or was it?).

ETOY is a pointless award anyway. This should be given with a clear mention 'look at the last x years' not just a season where you are virtually assessing these people based on 2-3 moves, it's not enough to assess anyone. Sometimes executives will literally get this because of one trade.
Suns 2 years ago had the worst record in the NBA, losing by double digits most nights. The team have no direction whatsoever before Jones came in. And I disagree with your assessment that Jones blew up his picks. I think he got exactly the player he wants and needs and that all should matter. You got to remember that before Jones came in, Suns were blowing top ten picks like there's no tomorrow. We wasted them on the likes on Josh Jackson and Dragan Bender, players who according to the draft experts should be perfect for the Suns and was selected with the right picks.
So thinking Cam Johnson would be available later is useless since we don't know what the other GMs think, and thinking a player worth to be picked later doesn't reflect the actual value of the player. Put it this way, if the Suns picks Domantas Sabonis with the 4th pick instead of Bender, and both players turns out exactly like they are now, would you actually think that Suns are reaching? Of course not.
And the Jalen Smith pick was done with the future in mind. It was clear that once Suns was going to be a contending team, he'll not going to get much minutes. Almost no contending team would give a rookie big minutes.
Marks job got way easier once Kyrie and Durant decided to go to the Nets once FA hits. This attract Harden to come and other veteran who're looking for a ring, willing to come and paid with vets minimum.
@charlton66 I wanted to include your post in as you also mentioned similar points but can't quote it

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
First NBA game I'm watching this season. Been good.

But can't help but thinking how it would be different if Klay was fit.
The game wouldn't be happening if Klay was fit.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Nervous game, glad we got it done in the end. Now rest up and focus on the Suns this weekend, gonna be a very interesting series.

Hope the Warriors overcome the Grizzlies on Friday although Morant in the playoffs wouldn't be bad either.

EDIT: just seen the time for the first Lakers game. 9:30pm over here :drool:

Last edited:

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Suns 2 years ago had the worst record in the NBA, losing by double digits most nights. The team have no direction whatsoever before Jones came in. And I disagree with your assessment that Jones blew up his picks. I think he got exactly the player he wants and needs and that all should matter. You got to remember that before Jones came in, Suns were blowing top ten picks like there's no tomorrow. We wasted them on the likes on Josh Jackson and Dragan Bender, players who according to the draft experts should be perfect for the Suns and was selected with the right picks.
So thinking Cam Johnson would be available later is useless since we don't know what the other GMs think, and thinking a player worth to be picked later doesn't reflect the actual value of the player. Put it this way, if the Suns picks Domantas Sabonis with the 4th pick instead of Bender, and both players turns out exactly like they are now, would you actually think that Suns are reaching? Of course not.
And the Jalen Smith pick was done with the future in mind. It was clear that once Suns was going to be a contending team, he'll not going to get much minutes. Almost no contending team would give a rookie big minutes.
Marks job got way easier once Kyrie and Durant decided to go to the Nets once FA hits. This attract Harden to come and other veteran who're looking for a ring, willing to come and paid with vets minimum.
@charlton66 I wanted to include your post in as you also mentioned similar points but can't quote it
I don't really want to discredit Jones, he's done an amazing job and the turnaround was amazing. I think though the foundation at Suns was slightly better because of how many top picks they got, and also Booker who was a building block that did not exist at Nets at the time when Marks took over. To be honest both did great and both deserve a lot of credit. I wouldn't have a problem with either of them winning it.

For the bolded, his work was part of the reason why they got there in the first place though. They were nailed on to go to Knicks but the culture and foundation he had built at Nets swayed that.

ZDwyr

Lakers will need to improve before playing the Suns. I think the Warriors will handle Memphis unless Curry has an off-night, which seems unlikely to happen.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
I think it's not out of the realm of possibilities that the Jazz and Suns both get knocked out in the first round. At least as good a chance as any in the last decade or so for the #7 and #8 seeds in the West.

charlton66

Supports
Golden State
Its already started, The talking heads and media in general have started blathering on about "the shot" and how James' achievements last night are already the best in play-in history. In a fairly average performance he threw up a prayer with the shot clock winding down and it went in. Lebron was not great, he was outplayed by Steph most of the night. But no, according to the fanbois (looking at you Nick Wright) it was better than Jayson Tatum's 50 for the Celtics and of course Steph's 37. For years, I've had to listen to media suck ups tell me how James was carrying teams against monumental odds. It was always Lebron against the Warriors. Now with the tables having been turned and he having far and away the better team its still somehow all about him. It gets old.

Last edited:

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
Tbf James played really well in the second half specially considering how little he has played recently

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
Its already started, The talking heads and media in general have started blathering on about "the shot" and how James' achievements last night are already the best in play-in history. In a fairly average performance he threw up a prayer with the shot clock winding down and it went in. Lebron was not great, he was outplayed by Steph most of the night. But no, according to the fanbois (looking at you Nick Wright) it was better than Jayson Tatum's 50 for the Celtics and of course Steph's 37. For years, I've had to listen to media suck ups tell me how James was carrying teams against monumental odds. It was always Lebron against the Warriors. Now with the tables having been turned and he having far and away the better team its still somehow all about him. It gets old.
He contributed to his team winning against his opponent and that's the only thing that matters in a play-in game imo. Couldn't care less if he was outplayed by Curry for 48 minutes or not.

And make no mistake, Curry has probably been praised a thousand times more than James for throwing up prayers which go in when the shot-clock is winding down.

charlton66

Supports
Golden State
Tbf James played really well in the second half specially considering how little he has played recently
He did ok. Like you say, he was much improved second half, however, he scored 22 points for the game on 7-17 shooting. That's not bad, but nothing to write home about. Wright was almost giddy in his praise for Lebron. I don't know why I watched to be honest. I suppose I expected some even handed reporting with the Dubs getting a scintilla of praise. Didn't happen.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
He did ok. Like you say, he was much improved second half, however, he scored 22 points for the game on 7-17 shooting. That's not bad, but nothing to write home about. Wright was almost giddy in his praise for Lebron. I don't know why I watched to be honest. I suppose I expected some even handed reporting with the Dubs getting a scintilla of praise. Didn't happen.
That's one way to put it. You could also say he got a triple double and scored a very clutch 3 which sealed the W, I guess.

Seems like you're just a bit frustrated that the narrative is all about James even though your team went toe to toe with the Lakers. You deserve some praise as well though you're right about that, and I really hope you win tomorrow night.

charlton66

Supports
Golden State
He contributed to his team winning against his opponent and that's the only thing that matters in a play-in game imo. Couldn't care less if he was outplayed by Curry for 48 minutes or not.

And make no mistake, Curry has probably been praised a thousand times more than James for throwing up prayers which go in when the shot-clock is winding down.
That's in a nutshell. He contributed. You'd never know there was anybody else on his team. For years the Warriors achievements have been minimized because Lebron supposedly was playing against these tremendous odds, but the minute the shoe is on the other foot, the other team hardly gets a mention and as I said, it's still somehow all about him. I'm tired of it.

.....and I'm a bad loser. ;)

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
That's in a nutshell. He contributed. You'd never know there was anybody else on his team. For years the Warriors achievements have been minimized because Lebron supposedly was playing against these tremendous odds, but the minute the shoe is on the other foot, the other team hardly gets a mention and as I said, it's still somehow all about him. I'm tired of it.

.....and I'm a bad loser. ;)
Are you US based? Back here we don't get any NBA coverage unless you're actively following up yourself so I guess that's why I don't "get" these problems. Same goes for when Utd fans on here are disgruntled about the apparent Liverpool media love-in, no issues whatsoever with that over here :lol:

charlton66

Supports
Golden State
Are you US based? Back here we don't get any NBA coverage unless you're actively following up yourself so I guess that's why I don't "get" these problems. Same goes for when Utd fans on here are disgruntled about the apparent Liverpool media love-in, no issues whatsoever with that over here :lol:
Yes, I'm US based. Lived here for almost 40 years. What I don't get is that you seem like an OK lad. I can forgive being a Lakers fan but Liverpool? Where you dropped on your head as a child? ;)

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
Yes, I'm US based. Lived here for almost 40 years. What I don't get is that you seem like an OK lad. I can forgive being a Lakers fan but Liverpool? Where you dropped on your head as a child? ;)
The Lakers had their 3-peat when I was a child, had to choose Liverpool instead of Utd if I didn't wanna be considered a total gloryhunter back in the days :p

Sandyman

There's lot of praise for Steph and the Warriors as well. Steph was the best player on court yesterday and the narrative is that this was a missed opportunity for the Warriors. Lakers scraped past/survived that game.

But that was a ridiculous basket and it was the last basket of the game. LBJ made that 3, and whether it was a fluke or a desperation heave that fell in or if he was seeing 3 or 5 rims, it was that basket that won them the game. It was a ridiculous shot so of course people are going to talk about it.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
The Heat are going to beat the 76ers in the second round. I just think they’re a better side, and I don’t believe the 76ers have the ball handlers to win a close play-off series. Butler and Bam are better than Simmons and Embiid too.
Think it was on First Take this week when it was mentioned what if the Sixers had drafted Tatum over Fultz.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
He was, but now he's not and it's still the same old story. He gets the credit as an underdog, he gets the credit when he has the better team.

I'm glad somebody sympathizes with me
Just interesting you said "supposedly" which helps build the idea that he wasn't.

Re. Last night, it was a great, dramatic game and any great game won with a late 3 like that will be talked about.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
LeBron sold that Draymond hit on him like the WWE fan he is.

Gotta love how he was rolling on the floor clutching his groin and complaining he's seeing 3 rims :lol:

ThierryHenry

wishes he could watch Arsenal games with KM
I am only one year into my basketball watching life, and feel like that could have been the best game I’ve seen yet. Maybe just from the atmosphere, but LeBron flopping, Draymond’s defensive masterclass, Curry going off, AD’s dunks, the Caru-show, fans making noise(!), Drake, it felt like it had it all. Gutted for the Warriors though, I hope Booker destroys the Lakers next.

ThierryHenry

wishes he could watch Arsenal games with KM
Also, why did the Lakers sign so many centers if the plan was always going to be AD at the 5?

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
Wow, this is a haterific post :lol:

Nick Wright is a fanboy though, that much is true……

SinNombre

It was definitely a very good game and super intense for the last 3 quarters.

Just a bit disappointing that reffing and complaining/play acting is as important as it is in football.

Bittersweet for the Warriors though. They have shown that they can compete enough to force full games out of James and AD, and have Davis play as the 5 which he doesn’t prefer. Which is promising with Klay and the Wolves draft pick for next year.

At the same time, they should have won this even with the bad refereeing and might find it hard to give as much for Friday.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool

The feck is wrong with the NBA sometimes...