NBA 2020-2021

ThierryHenry

wishes he could watch Arsenal games with KM
Hawks vs. Bucks is going to be a really fun series. I think Bucks in 7, but the Bucks need four games where both of Middleton and Holiday are shooting right. Most of the play offs it’s been one or the other.

charlton66

Supports
Golden State
Trae for sure wants to be Steph... Well on the way it looks like
In the sense that he tries outrageous shots there is some similarity but for me that's where any comparison ends. I'd say he was lot more similar to James Harden. He draws fouls like Harden, his assists/game are closer to Harden and his shooting percentages are not dissimilar to James Harden. In truth it's actually really difficult to duplicate Steph because his off ball movement next to his shooting is possibly his most defining quality. Nobody in the league moves off ball like Steph - he is truly unique.

Still being the next James Harden makesTrae pretty damn good.

mav_9me

In the sense that he tries outrageous shots there is some similarity but for me that's where any comparison ends. I'd say he was lot more similar to James Harden. He draws fouls like Harden, his assists/game are closer to Harden and his shooting percentages are not dissimilar to James Harden. In truth it's actually really difficult to duplicate Steph because his off ball movement next to his shooting is possibly his most defining quality. Nobody in the league moves off ball like Steph - he is truly unique.

Still being the next James Harden makesTrae pretty damn good.
Very true. Agreed. All time best even maybe in that regard. Others would know better about that.

RooneyLegend

Hawks vs. Bucks is going to be a really fun series. I think Bucks in 7, but the Bucks need four games where both of Middleton and Holiday are shooting right. Most of the play offs it’s been one or the other.
The Bucks have to find a way to defend that pick and roll better or they're toast. Lucky for them I think if they play the Greek freak at the 5 they could limit the damage. Portis and Lopez are going to be of no use in this series.

RooneyLegend

Trae for sure wants to be Steph... Well on the way it looks like
Far better floor general and passer than Steph. Far better athlete and defender as well. Not as good a shooter and he really is ball dominant unlike Steph who moves around. Very different players.

ZDwyr

He's a better passer than Steph but Steph is 10x the defender that Young is. Young is outrageously bad on defence.

sport2793

He's a better passer than Steph but Steph is 10x the defender that Young is. Young is outrageously bad on defence.
I mean that's not saying much, Steph is not a great defender himself. He's shielded by having elite defenders around him in Draymond and Klay.

Scarecrow

Having a week off
Far better floor general and passer than Steph. Far better athlete and defender as well. Not as good a shooter and he really is ball dominant unlike Steph who moves around. Very different players.
Uhm what? Trae is nowhere near the athlete and defender Steph is.

Young is a great passer though. His lobs are probably the best I’ve ever seen.

ZDwyr

I mean that's not saying much, Steph is not a great defender himself. He's shielded by having elite defenders around him in Draymond and Klay.
Steph is a bad to below average defender. Young is arguably the worst defender in the league. The gap is pretty significant.

charlton66

Supports
Golden State
Thi stuff about Steph being a bad defender is just not true any more. When he first came into the league he was very slight and easily pushed around but he has bulked up tremendously in the last few years and this has helped his defense enormously. He will never be elite but he's probably better than the league average. He's led the league in steals twice, is in the top half a dozen PGs in rebounds (not padded) and unlike a lot of players he gives you 100% effort on that end of the floor.

Trae on the other hand is piss poor on the defensive end - another thing he has in common with Harden.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Bud actually for once took 3 quarters to react to something instead of 3 games...

It still didn't work, partly because Trae is a genius at drawing fouls even when he can't get into that floater range, and partly because he kept pulling giannis out of the paint, giving Capela and Collins the chance to dominate on the glass, which they did and won them the game

Still, it was obvious that trae and the hawks really couldn't get into their rythm once the bucks went small and started switching everything

Both teams were putrid from 3. Think the main issue for the bucks is offence - way too much iso in this game when any PnR with Giannis as the roller was unstoppable for the hawks, and more of that might force Capela out of the game, this reducing the biggest drawback from going small on D

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
Can't recall which show I saw it was on this week but there was a segment about how the Hawks management put complementary players around Trae to compliment his skillset and style whereas Dallas seemingly hasn't a clue how to do so for Luka.

charlton66

Supports
Golden State
Can't recall which show I saw it was on this week but there was a segment about how the Hawks management put complementary players around Trae to compliment his skillset and style whereas Dallas seemingly hasn't a clue how to do so for Luka.
Travis Sclenk. He was great at the Dubs, he's been great at the Hawks.

RooneyLegend

No way, Steph is a hopeless defender, weak and zero lateral quickness. Young is far from outrageously bad on defence, not recently anyways.

charlton66

Supports
Golden State
Trae is faster and stronger than Steph. How's that even up for debate?
I don't know where people get this idea that Curry is not athletic.

From Andre Iguodala.

"Steph's got something else..... He's good at everything...."

"I've seen him throw darts. I've seen him bowl like 250. Ping-pong. Golf, he could play pro in real life. He can throw a fastball 80 miles per hour, right down the middle (see below).

"He's got this hand-eye thing that's freakish."

As to strength. This is a quote from 2016 from the Warriors Director of Athletic Performance, Keke Lyles, and this was before Curry bulked up even more.

"He's probably 10 times stronger than what people think," Lyles said, pointing out that Curry can deadlift 400 pounds. "Steph's the second strongest on our team pulling that one. For his size, Steph is ridiculous strong."

Last edited:

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Yeah, no. Steph is an average to below average defender

Young is a genuinely bad defender

SinNombre

Agree with the comments above. Steph hasn't been a liability in defense since 2015 or 16.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Fun fact about this series: LAC are actually winning the Zubac vs Ayton minutes. In fact, they winning the Ayton minutes period. But they're getting eviscerated when the Suns go small

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Some of these role players are so fun to watch. Cam Johnson, Terrance Mann, Bridges, Bobby Portis(from yesterday)