NBA 2021-2022

edcunited1878

KD is so insecure about his Warriors' stint :lol:
KD has a new episode on Netflix show called My Next Guest Needs No Introduction, with David Letterman....he's a little bit of an oddball, and does love his Twitter! He comes across as someone who tries a little too hard and doesn't like ceding much influence or control if he can.

cafecillos

Well, the Warriors may very well have won those championships without him, which is something you probably can't say about any other "superstar" in the history of the league. If you're even slightly egotistical and/or insecure, that's got to bother you a bit.

SinNombre

I am obviously supporting the Warriors, as long as they play Steph/Kerr-ball. Got me back into watching the NBA after the iso era.

Big next few days for my sporting teams/players legacies with Rafa having beaten Novak and now needs to win FO and every championship run counts for Steph here.

charlton66

Supports
Golden State
I am obviously supporting the Warriors, as long as they play Steph/Kerr-ball. Got me back into watching the NBA after the iso era.

Big next few days for my sporting teams/players legacies with Rafa having beaten Novak and now needs to win FO and every championship run counts for Steph here.
I get that you're SUPPORTING the Dubs, but who is your pick to win?

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
If you count out all the times teams have beaten us, no one has ever beaten us!

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea

Think there is something to this, personally. The Celtics will be by far the best defense Golden State has played in the playoffs - and the closest archetype in Memphis gave them genuine problems.

charlton66

Supports
Golden State

Think there is something to this, personally. The Celtics will be by far the best defense Golden State has played in the playoffs - and the closest archetype in Memphis gave them genuine problems.
There might be something to it if the Celtics core remained somewhat unchanged during that time period. However, back in 2014, Jason Tatum, Robert Williams, Jaylen Brown and even Grant Williams, their first guy off the bench, were all still in high school.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
There might be something to it if the Celtics core remained somewhat unchanged during that time period. However, back in 2014, Jason Tatum, Robert Williams, Jaylen Brown and even Grant Williams, their first guy off the bench, were all still in high school.
Yeah definitely fair - but the majority has featured the Smart/Tatum/Brown/Horford core.

Just out of my own curiosity, I went back to see whether 14/15 was some sort of arbitrary cutoff:

14/15: GS+3
15/16: BOS+3
16/17: BOS+13
17/18: GS+4
18/19: BOS+33
19/20: BOS+5
20/21: BOS+4
21/22: BOS+22

Definitely some fluky results in there that are irrelevant - Gordon Hayward ain't walking through the door to inspire a 33 point lead these finals. Also that graphic would be far better if adjusted for games played to account for Eastern vs. Western teams.

That said, given the extent to which the Warriors routinely destroy opponents on their floor I do think the success Boston has had there is notable. Also worth pointing out that the Celtics have been a historically good road team this year.

edcunited1878

Memphis had Ja, but also Bane and arguably, better perimeter shooting, yet still won in 6. This is an interesting, interesting matchup because both teams can defend to a very high level, but one team has extreme shooters/scorers, and an experience advantage.

I think whoever wins, it'll be in 6 or 7. Warriors haven't been in this position for a few years, and Curry mentioned how it took them at least a game or two for them to really feel the intensity, pressure, and urgency for game situations they missed for a couple of years. Boston's core group of Smart, Brown, Tatum, Horford have not been here before at all. Still think Warriors will squeak this out, but Boston is going to be prepared and battle and win at least one or two games. Their issue is going to be how well they shoot the ball and who can step up for them in the clutch when they don't have a lead to protect. The way Boston played in Game 7 with Tatum dribbling with less than 10 to shoot, getting doubled, and passing for an open shot probably isn't going to work against the other best defense in the league.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Memphis had Ja, but also Bane and arguably, better perimeter shooting, yet still won in 6. This is an interesting, interesting matchup because both teams can defend to a very high level, but one team has extreme shooters/scorers, and an experience advantage.

I think whoever wins, it'll be in 6 or 7. Warriors haven't been in this position for a few years, and Curry mentioned how it took them at least a game or two for them to really feel the intensity, pressure, and urgency for game situations they missed for a couple of years. Boston's core group of Smart, Brown, Tatum, Horford have not been here before at all. Still think Warriors will squeak this out, but Boston is going to be prepared and battle and win at least one or two games. Their issue is going to be how well they shoot the ball and who can step up for them in the clutch when they don't have a lead to protect. The way Boston played in Game 7 with Tatum dribbling with less than 10 to shoot, getting doubled, and passing for an open shot probably isn't going to work against the other best defense in the league.
Great post and a lot to think about! I'll just give some scattershot responses as I think of them - hope you don't mind as this might be a bit incoherent!

Disagree with Memphis' shooting being better - both teams were more or less the same this year (Boston 12th in 3P% at 35.7%; Memphis 17th at 35.4%).

I agree that this'll likely be a long series. Also you're completely correct that the Celtics' crunchtime offense has been terrible generally - when they try to play isoball it's generally a disaster. Think you're onto something with the general level of inexperience - some of their clutch decision-making has been god-awful (thinking specifically of the Jaylen offensive foul with like 18-20 seconds on the shot clock vs Miami in game 7).

I guess I just think Boston has a potentially historically great half-court defense (obviously era-adjusted). Thus far in the playoffs they've held their opponents to something like 7 points per 100 possessions fewer than they averaged in the regular season in half-court sets, which is pretty stark. Boston also has the best perimeter defense in the NBA in terms of opponent 3P% - 33.5%. Golden State's defense has also been great as you say, but they have struggled at rebounding and personally I'd argue that the Celtics' guards defensively against the Warriors' stand a better chance of stopping them than the Warriors' wings do against those of Boston (and I think Boston could potentially have a huge edge in terms of offensive rebounding which could go some ways towards negating the potential difference in offensive efficiency).

Your point that the Warriors can grow into the series is a great one. I totally agree that adjustments will be key, as I don't think there's an overwhelming talent gap either way. Obviously I'm biased but I personally think that of the 4 basic units, Boston's defense is the best and deepest as a whole, so on that (probably flimsy) basis - Boston in 6!!

edcunited1878

Great post and a lot to think about! I'll just give some scattershot responses as I think of them - hope you don't mind as this might be a bit incoherent!

Disagree with Memphis' shooting being better - both teams were more or less the same this year (Boston 12th in 3P% at 35.7%; Memphis 17th at 35.4%).

I agree that this'll likely be a long series. Also you're completely correct that the Celtics' crunchtime offense has been terrible generally - when they try to play isoball it's generally a disaster. Think you're onto something with the general level of inexperience - some of their clutch decision-making has been god-awful (thinking specifically of the Jaylen offensive foul with like 18-20 seconds on the shot clock vs Miami in game 7).

I guess I just think Boston has a potentially historically great half-court defense (obviously era-adjusted). Thus far in the playoffs they've held their opponents to something like 7 points per 100 possessions fewer than they averaged in the regular season in half-court sets, which is pretty stark. Boston also has the best perimeter defense in the NBA in terms of opponent 3P% - 33.5%. Golden State's defense has also been great as you say, but they have struggled at rebounding and personally I'd argue that the Celtics' guards defensively against the Warriors' stand a better chance of stopping them than the Warriors' wings do against those of Boston (and I think Boston could potentially have a huge edge in terms of offensive rebounding which could go some ways towards negating the potential difference in offensive efficiency).

Your point that the Warriors can grow into the series is a great one. I totally agree that adjustments will be key, as I don't think there's an overwhelming talent gap either way. Obviously I'm biased but I personally think that of the 4 basic units, Boston's defense is the best and deepest as a whole, so on that (probably flimsy) basis - Boston in 6!!
All good! Celtics defense is very good and just depends on how they scheme...do they switch, which they can, or do they fight through screens. And it goes for the Warriors too, because if you switch, there's going to be a mismatch or advantage, just if you can create off that more times than not.

The rebounding is a good point and Warriors might address it more. The more Draymond plays, the better for the Warriors because he's so important defensively and helping to move the ball on offense. If Boston can hunker down on defense and make the Warriors go too fast and put the ball movement off rhythm, then Boston can get transition moments and give themselves a better chance. Warriors have the tendency to be turnover prone and with good defense comes less offensive attempts.

One or two non-core/star players have to make themselves present. For Warriors, it will continue to be Poole and Wiggins. For Boston, it's Williams and White...but for Boston, this is the first chance for Tatum to elevate his game on the biggest stage. However he takes it to the next level, defense, shooting, passing, whatever, he has to take charge and will his team to compete and then win in this series.

Curry versus Smart is going to be an awesome matchup...or Brown versus Curry. The defensive trio, of what you pointed out, in the half court in Brown, Tatum, and Smart are very comfortable guarding 1 through 4, inside and out. Fun thing is that both teams enjoy the physical, defensive play, but can get out and run on transition.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
All good! Celtics defense is very good and just depends on how they scheme...do they switch, which they can, or do they fight through screens. And it goes for the Warriors too, because if you switch, there's going to be a mismatch or advantage, just if you can create off that more times than not.

The rebounding is a good point and Warriors might address it more. The more Draymond plays, the better for the Warriors because he's so important defensively and helping to move the ball on offense. If Boston can hunker down on defense and make the Warriors go too fast and put the ball movement off rhythm, then Boston can get transition moments and give themselves a better chance. Warriors have the tendency to be turnover prone and with good defense comes less offensive attempts.

One or two non-core/star players have to make themselves present. For Warriors, it will continue to be Poole and Wiggins. For Boston, it's Williams and White...but for Boston, this is the first chance for Tatum to elevate his game on the biggest stage. However he takes it to the next level, defense, shooting, passing, whatever, he has to take charge and will his team to compete and then win in this series.

Curry versus Smart is going to be an awesome matchup...or Brown versus Curry. The defensive trio, of what you pointed out, in the half court in Brown, Tatum, and Smart are very comfortable guarding 1 through 4, inside and out. Fun thing is that both teams enjoy the physical, defensive play, but can get out and run on transition.
Great points and I agree with almost everything. I think an underrated key might be when and where Boston feels they can get away with drop coverage in the pick and roll (certainly not when Steph is the ball handler obviously), but getting the likes of Horford into passing lanes might be a boon offensively and defensively.

I actually think Pritchard might be a sneaky shout for a key x-factor this series - he's weak defensively because he can be hunted, but his off-ball defense and screen navigation are generally pretty good all things considered. Generally I think the series might be decided on how effective the small line-ups are; so if the Mitten can come back to provide some oomph on the perimeter, if the Smart / White lineups with Smart on Draymond can be successful, or if we even see some Tatum at the 5 - all intriguing options.

Genuinely though I think this is the most interesting finals in years. For sure I am biased but I find this matchup to be really compelling - perhaps in large part because both teams seem more or less even from a raw talent perspective for the first time in a while (maybe since those Spurs / Heat finals?)

charlton66

Supports
Golden State
Just a general thought as far as the Dubs rebounding is concerned. The Grizzlies were the number one ranked team in the NBA in the regular season in rebounds. The Dubs out rebounded them in 5 of the 6 games. In fact the Warriors have an almost 50 rebound edge over their opponents in these playoffs, out rebounding them in 11 out of the 16 games.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Just a general thought as far as the Dubs rebounding is concerned. The Grizzlies were the number one ranked team in the NBA in the regular season in rebounds. The Dubs out rebounded them in 5 of the 6 games. In fact the Warriors have an almost 50 rebound edge over their opponents in these playoffs, out rebounding them in 11 out of the 16 games.
Yep fair point - but at the same time Adams barely played that series and JJJ is a terrible rebounder for his size all things considered. Memphis doesn't have the same size as Boston does - especially when you consider crunch time lineups.

charlton66

Supports
Golden State
Yep fair point - but at the same time Adams barely played that series and JJJ is a terrible rebounder for his size all things considered. Memphis doesn't have the same size as Boston does - especially when you consider crunch time lineups.
Adams played in 4 of the 6 games and started in 3 of them, playing over 20 minutes per game.

Looney has been exceptional for the Dubs on the boards in these playoffs.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Adams played in 4 of the 6 games and started in 3 of them, playing over 20 minutes per game.

Looney has been exceptional for the Dubs on the boards in these playoffs.
I mean, let's be real here - he played 5 and a half minutes in one of those games and 27, 21, and 28 minutes in the last 3 games. I don't think "barely" is too far off the mark - he played ~28% of the available minutes in the series. His impact on team rebounding has been pretty well documented - I think my point stands that the Grizzlies rebounding rate during the season was artificially high compared to the playoffs.

I agree that Looney has been excellent but he's also been rebounding against the likes of Kleber and Powell. Horford and Timelord are both far far better rebounders.

charlton66

Supports
Golden State
I mean, let's be real here - he played 5 and a half minutes in one of those games and 27, 21, and 28 minutes in the last 3 games. I don't think "barely" is too far off the mark - he played ~28% of the available minutes in the series. His impact on team rebounding has been pretty well documented - I think my point stands that the Grizzlies rebounding rate during the season was artificially high compared to the playoffs.

I agree that Looney has been excellent but he's also been rebounding against the likes of Kleber and Powell. Horford and Timelord are both far far better rebounders.
Alright let's say he only played in 3 out of the 6 games but he played pretty good minutes in those 3 and they still got out rebounded by the Dubs in 2 of them.

Forget Memphis though. Look at the regular season as a whole where we've got a much larger sample size. For the season Boston were 4th in rpg at 46.2 and the Dubs were 7th at 45.5.

People assume because Golden State are a smaller team they get massively out rebounded by everyone. It's just not true. Coincidentally in these playoffs the Dubs are 4th at 44.8 rpg and the Celtics are 7th at 42.8 rpg.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Update

Warriors: @edcunited1878 @ZDwyr @charlton66 @SirAnderson @Beans @frostbite @Lay @HTG @Andy_Cole @Moby @elmo @RobinLFC

Celtics: @Jim Beam @Skåre Willoch @De Selby @P-Nut @WeePat @Bepi @TheMagicFoolBus

If you're rooting for one team but have not made a pick, I'm classifying you as on the fence.

Fence: @kouroux @Desert Eagle @Šjor Bepo @SinNombre
Count me in as a Boston bandwagoner :wenger: I was rooting for Dallas even though they had no chance vs the Warriors, does that make me a Golden State hater then :eek: ?

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Draymond Green has more playoff 3-pointers than Dirk Nowitzki, arguably the best shooting big guy ever, in less games. There's a stat I didn't expect today.

Honestly impressive what the Warriors have done to be honest, attracted players who suited their style, and are now back in the Finals once again for 6th time in 8 years, with the same big 3 they all drafted themselves. I think this is a big one for Curry - if he wins this (and hopefully gets Finals MVP), he establishes himself as the second best PG ever and imo a top 10 player all-time.

charlton66

Supports
Golden State
Count me in as a Boston bandwagoner :wenger: I was rooting for Dallas even though they had no chance vs the Warriors, does that make me a Golden State hater then :eek: ?
If you pulled for Cleveland in any of the finals vs Dubs I'd have to say yes. If not I'll give you a pass. ;)

I'll stick you down as a Boston lover.
I believe in Boston as well
Another one for the dark side.

charlton66

Supports
Golden State
I think this is a big one for Curry - if he wins this (and hopefully gets Finals MVP), he establishes himself as the second best PG ever and imo a top 10 player all-time.
No matter what accolades Steph gets between now and the end of his career, Magic will always be a better PG than he is.

On the other side of the coin, if you asked me who is the best player to have ever played point guard, I think Steph wins that one already.

mav_9me

Boston is the only team in the league with a winning record against Golden State since Kerr took over - the Warriors have struggled against Boston's elite wing depth and size advantage at pretty much every position.

Feels like a very even series on paper, but the Warriors having a big rest advantage and home court might tip it in their favor. Still think this is going at least 6 games.
That's where Wiggins might make a huge difference.

No doubt abt 6 games. At least.

mav_9me

My take as a casual fan:

Both excellent defenses. GS offense better than Celtics'.

Key for Cs: get Green in foul trouble
Key for GS: limit turnovers and if Klay gets going. If Klay is on fire forget it.

If Cs win it will be in 7.

Final answer: GS in 6.

Love watching the Warriors play. But I mostly want an exciting 7 game series going to last minute.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
No matter what accolades Steph gets between now and the end of his career, Magic will always be a better PG than he is.
Yeah agreed. Dude won the Lakers a ring at center, forward and guard in his rookie season, and had 9 Finals appearances in 12 seasons in the league.

Beans

Supports
Neutral

On the other side of the coin, if you asked me who is the best player to have ever played point guard, I think Steph wins that one already.
Would have loved to see Steve Nash in this era, he likely would have scored a lot more as PGs are no longer passers first. Both among the best shooters ever, both shot .428 from 3 for their career (so far), 90.4 (Nash) and 90.8 from the line, that's #1 and #2 all time. Nash with more assists but less points per game average. Less success as well.

charlton66

Supports
Golden State
Yeah agreed. Dude won the Lakers a ring at center, forward and guard in his rookie season, and had 9 Finals appearances in 12 seasons in the league.
Thing is about Magic, he is by far and away the best passer to have ever played the game. Hence best PG ever. However, I think he went to the "James Harden school of defense" because a lot of the time he just didn't put in the effort. (I was going to say didn't give a shit, but let's be nice). On offense, he was pretty good when called upon but that just wasn't Magic's game. Hence I go with Steph as the better overall player.

However, in all time rankings (legacy) I still have Magic ranked higher.

charlton66

Supports
Golden State

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
I want a 7 game series. I'm surrounded in New England by slightly overbearing Celtics fans so put me ever gently in the Warriors camp despite Draymond's best efforts ;)