g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

NBA 2022-2023

Andrade

Rebuilding Expert
The debate will son begin on where Joker is in the All time list of centers. There are some that he obviously can't catch but a few great ones will become debatable

SinNombre

The debate will son begin on where Joker is in the All time list of centers. There are some that he obviously can't catch but a few great ones will become debatable
If the Nuggets go and win 3 Championships in a row, he can catch all of them.

Steph, who is the only comparable offensive juggernaut, was considered as a potential all-time top-5 until they lost from 3-1 to Lebron Cavs, and needed the 2022 win to get back into a top-10 shout.

SinNombre

@charlton66 what about Chris Paul? The fanbase is going to hate it but if we can get him on a min and have him run the second unit and trade Poole+assets for OG, that puts us back in contention.

Of course, he likely goes join Lebron.

Andrade

Rebuilding Expert
If the Nuggets go and win 3 Championships in a row, he can catch all of them.

Steph, who is the only comparable offensive juggernaut, was considered as a potential all-time top-5 until they lost from 3-1 to Lebron Cavs, and needed the 2022 win to get back into a top-10 shout.
Nah, disagree. Joker is not getting anywhere near Kareem (for example) if he wins 3 championships.

And I don't know who thought Steph was top 5 after one title, some MVPs and no defense but that's an outrageous opinion.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
That observation brings an interesting point. Media and fans of eastern teams have largely claimed that the East was better than the West while the reality may be that the west was deeper with a better top seed on top of it.
It’s why people should never believe the hype about teams in the East. They just don’t match up well against the teams in the West apart from the Bucks because the ref would allow Giannis to travel and give him free throw practice all game.

charlton66

Supports
Golden State
@charlton66 what about Chris Paul? The fanbase is going to hate it but if we can get him on a min and have him run the second unit and trade Poole+assets for OG, that puts us back in contention.

Of course, he likely goes join Lebron.
Not sure how much he's got left to be honest and even if he has something left he's still extremely prone to injury. Having said all that if we can get him on a veteran's minimum it's a no brainer for me.

Revan

Assumptionman
Shaq and Hakeem might be catchable (although not a very easy feat), Kareem probably not (never saw Russell and Wilt playing).

I do not think he can make top 10 of all time, but 2 years ago no one though that he can make top 20 and now he has a very real chance of doing so.

Andrade

Rebuilding Expert
Shaq and Hakeem might be catchable (although not a very easy feat), Kareem probably not (never saw Russell and Wilt playing).

I do not think he can make top 10 of all time, but 2 years ago no one though that he can make top 20 and now he has a very real chance of doing so.
Lot of work to do to catch Shaq and Hakeem. The issue with Joker v someone like Hakeem or say a David Robinson is that they were excellent defenders as well as being great offensive players. Someone related Joker to Curry above and it's an apt comparison because both of them are trying to make their assault on the elite all time list without being exceptional defensive players. So half of their resume is going to be missing (defensive player of the year, all defense teams etc., these are all things that Hakeem and Robinson got in addition to All NBA honours, MVPs, titles and so on). The difference is that Curry is small, so it is harder for him to be great defensively.

So the question is whether you think the unique abilities Joker has (big man playmaking and passing) cancel out the things that he is missing (elite defense). If he stacks chips and MVPs then not having defense on his resume will become less important obviously

Ladron de redcafe

Nah, disagree. Joker is not getting anywhere near Kareem (for example) if he wins 3 championships.

And I don't know who thought Steph was top 5 after one title, some MVPs and no defense but that's an outrageous opinion.

I agree. The Duncan and Shaq comparisons are one thing. Kareem is in a different tier. It'll be difficult to challenge his standing.

R'hllor

I dont think there is much point in comparing centers from different eras, specially on defense, Curry made sure of that, on top rules being so bent in favor of ball handlers today, its not even funny.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
You just know Miami are going to win tonight with everyone already claiming Nuggets are NBA champions.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
You just know Miami are going to win tonight with everyone already claiming Nuggets are NBA champions.
Nah, think they are cooked. With Boston it was different because even the Celtics players acted like they won it after going 3-3 while Spoelstra and Jimmy were all yelling they can't wait to play game 7.

Don't think the Nuggets will lower their guard and Malone looks like he has a firm hold of that team. In the end, and most importantly, the Nuggets are simply much better team and the Heat now knows it.

Mind you, I wouldn't mind an extra game to watch, so from that perspective a surprise Heat win would be fine.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Nah, think they are cooked. With Boston it was different because even the Celtics players acted like they won it after going 3-3 while Spoelstra and Jimmy were all yelling they can't wait to play game 7.

Don't think the Nuggets will lower their guard and Malone looks like he has a firm hold of that team. In the end, and most importantly, the Nuggets are simply much better team and the Heat now knows it.

Mind you, I wouldn't mind an extra game to watch, so from that perspective a surprise Heat win would be fine.
Nah I don't want a game 6 :lol: Get this done as quick as possible so Joker can get his championship

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea

I mean, considering the circumstances that the Celtics won game 6 in, hard to fault them for being amped up? Don't think anyone was expected them to shoot even worse in game 7 than they had done in game 6, which was their worst performance of the season to that point. Also the Celtics' best player got hurt on literally the first possession of the game, so yeah - wouldn't dispute that the Nuggets are mentally tougher than Boston but I don't think it's fair to argue the Celtics were complacent, if anything it felt like they were trying too hard and were frazzled after losing Tatum.

Jim Beam

I mean, considering the circumstances that the Celtics won game 6 in, hard to fault them for being amped up? Don't think anyone was expected them to shoot even worse in game 7 than they had done in game 6, which was their worst performance of the season to that point. Also the Celtics' best player got hurt on literally the first possession of the game, so yeah - wouldn't dispute that the Nuggets are mentally tougher than Boston but I don't think it's fair to argue the Celtics were complacent, if anything it felt like they were trying too hard and were frazzled after losing Tatum.
There is sense in what you are saying and part of what I did say is hindsight, but imo with Tatum injury or not it is still inexcusable to lose deciding game 7 at home by 20 points with your offense scoring 84 points overall and shooting 20% for 3 points not slowing down on shots and trying something different, but racking them until they were out of the game.

I stand by what I thought of the Celtics behavior after game 6. Yes, it was an extraordinary win, but they weren't amped in a sense ok, now we will finish the job at home. They acted like the series is over (and everyone around them tbf). I think, with their "Jekyll and Hyde" style, they lose that game even if nothing happens to Tatum, but we will never know that obviously.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
There is sense in what you are saying and part of what I did say is hindsight, but imo with Tatum injury or not it is still inexcusable to lose deciding game 7 at home by 20 points with your offense scoring 84 points overall and shooting 20% for 3 points not slowing down on shots and trying something different, but racking them until they were out of the game.

I stand by what I thought of the Celtics behavior after game 6. Yes, it was an extraordinary win, but they weren't amped in a sense ok, now we will finish the job at home. They acted like the series is over (and everyone around them tbf). I think, with their "Jekyll and Hyde" style, they lose that game even if nothing happens to Tatum, but we will never know that obviously.
Fair enough - but I think it's also fair to say that given the dysfunctional offense the Celtics displayed at the best of times, losing Tatum disproportionately affected them.

I definitely got more of that "series is over" vibe from fans more so than the actual team - Jaylen Brown, for instance, said that game 6 didn't matter if they laid an egg at home in game 7. And then he went full chicken all over the court - so maybe he didn't believe it himself :rolleyes:

Jim Beam

I definitely got more of that "series is over" vibe from fans more so than the actual team - Jaylen Brown, for instance, said that game 6 didn't matter if they laid an egg at home in game 7. And then he went full chicken all over the court - so maybe he didn't believe it himself :rolleyes:
The Celtics are definitely one strange team, almost impossible to know which version will come out. Imo, a more experienced and better coach also prepares them better for that game 7. Tbf, some credit has to go to the Heat as well. From the way they handled the game 6 (Spoelstra said something in a sense "I just wish we can start playing game 7 immediately" while Butler was saying he is certain they will win it)… And, in the end, how they imposed themselves in that last game.

Don't see any of that now which is the reason why I think the finals end tonight.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
The Celtics are definitely one strange team, almost impossible to know which version will come out. Imo, a more experienced and better coach also prepares them better for that game 7. Tbf, some credit has to go to the Heat as well. From the way they handled the game 6 (Spoelstra said something in a sense "I just wish we can start playing game 7 immediately" while Butler was saying he is certain they will win it)… And, in the end, how they imposed themselves in that last game.

Don't see any of that now which is the reason why I think the finals end tonight.
Yeah agreed - and apologies if I've derailed the thread!

Definitely think the Celtics suffered from having zero experience on the bench whatsoever, especially after Damon Stoudamire departed partway through the season - hiring Sam Cassell and Charles Lee makes a ton of sense. As you say though - huge huge credit to the Heat; probably the most mentally tough team in professional sports right now. Spo is without a doubt the best coach in the league too.

Jim Beam

Yeah agreed - and apologies if I've derailed the thread!
It's "NBA 2022-2023" thread, we're good. :)

As you say though - huge huge credit to the Heat; probably the most mentally tough team in professional sports right now. Spo is without a doubt the best coach in the league too.
Absolutely. At times he even found the way to compete at the highest level these playoffs when Jimmy was struggling. So, hats off however it ends.

Last edited:

Wittmann45

Man, Jimmy is the reason they are in the finals but it has been such an up and down quarter. After two made threes to get them the lead he has really made some bad decisions in the last two or three possessions

ExoduS

Denver champions!!! JOKIC THE KING! Nuggs (except Jokic) wanted to choke so badly tonight but the king didn't let it happen!!! Man... this Miami is either really, really tough or other teams just don't know how to play them... Talent wise I was thinking Denver was going to sweep them with 10-15 point lead in each game but boy o boy did they make me sweat!!!

R'hllor

How they kept that foul on Buttler after challenge, i have no idea, he kicks Gordon in the nuts and somehow its... actually wild decision.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
How they kept that foul on Buttler after challenge, i have no idea, he kicks Gordon in the nuts and somehow its... actually wild decision.
Crazy isn't it ? The only thing I can think of is that they somehow thought Gordon was gonna impede his landing zone ? And it still wouldn't make any sense.
One of the worst calls of this season and fortunately in the end, it didn't cost them

R'hllor

Crazy isn't it ? The only thing I can think of is that they somehow thought Gordon was gonna impede his landing zone ? And it still wouldn't make any sense.
One of the worst calls of this season and fortunately in the end, it didn't cost them
Mental, it really was.