NBA 2022-2023

SinNombre

This season is going to be record breaking for recent decades in terms of points. Faster pace and rule changes helping make this happen.

charlton66

Supports
Golden State
What a shot from Donte to save the game! What a performance from Klay! What a never say die finish from Loon to end the game.

What a fecking win!

Woohoo!

ZDwyr

Really fun game. Warriors seem to be doing well without Steph.

For Atlanta, Trae Young is such a black hole on defense. He was awful on the final possession in regulation. I think there's a firm ceiling on that team if they build around him.

charlton66

Supports
Golden State
Really fun game. Warriors seem to be doing well without Steph.

For Atlanta, Trae Young is such a black hole on defense. He was awful on the final possession in regulation. I think there's a firm ceiling on that team if they build around him.
Steph being injured has definitely been a blessing in disguise. First of all, he gets a long break so less mileage on the body, but more importantly the younger players and the vets who are new to the team get real game time to figure out what's needed to actually succeed in the Warrior's system. It could have all gone to hell, but instead it seems to have worked out for the best.

SinNombre

Giannis with 55.

5 Thunder players score more than 20 in their blowout win against the Celtics.

Scoring in the NBA is out of control right now.

Bobski

Giannis with 55.

5 Thunder players score more than 20 in their blowout win against the Celtics.

Scoring in the NBA is out of control right now.
It is ridiculous. The most enjoyable regular season NBA in recent years (for me) was the first month last season when they were actually letting players defend, now it is impossible again, between foul calls for looking aggressively at a ball handler, moving screens, refs blatantly ignoring egregious carrying and traveling violations and skill levels and shooting being at an all time high. The carrying/traveling is mad right now, yes, fun to watch players pull off crazy moves but the NBA are clearly allowing all this as a way to push individual stats higher and sell the league through individuals.

R'hllor

This season is going to be record breaking for recent decades in terms of points. Faster pace and rule changes helping make this happen.
Also ignoring rules helps, players with perimeter defence as their main ability should be paid double, how the hell you can defend someone if you count they dont have anymore steps to progress and yet they make extra one, two without being called out, travelling, ball carry left right center.

Edit: Think there is shift in requirement, ability to shoot is pushed on top of that list more than before i believe.

SinNombre

Lost to the Pistons again. Terrible from Poole in the clutch again as he has done for the past 3 games.

Or not, Klay with another crazy 3 to take this game to a tie with 1s left :lol: . This Steph injury has been really great for Klay's comeback.

And then Bey with a 3 to win for the Pistons. Terrible loss but you can only laugh :lol:

charlton66

Supports
Golden State
Very disappointing loss. I've got to say though that the Pistons deserved it. The Warriors spent most of the game playing catch up but the Pistons always seemed to hit the big shot when it was needed. Nothing bigger than the last one.

Oh well!

R'hllor

Hope Denver starts missing, didnt stay awake to watch what ever this is atm.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
It won’t happen because most of the fan base as well as front office seem to believe the goal is to get Dame the championship in Portland, so we are more likely to trade our young players for average veterans than we are to do the opposite, but based on the last month of basketball I believe Blazers should be looking at blowing it up. Trade Dame, Grant, Hart and Nurkic for whatever you can get now, go into a full time tank mode this season and build around Simons, Sharpe and maybe Little. I was optimistic after strong start of season but it seems to be the same old team that is never going to win against anyone remotely good in the playoffs. The ceiling is winning a play-in series and then maybe winning a game in the playoffs, no matter who is on the other side.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Sounds like the writing is on the wall for Stephen Silas. Not sure he'll see the season out as the Rockets coach. Seems a bit unfair to hire him to coach Harden and Russ, then they leave that same summer and the Rockets blow it all up and enter a rebuild phase and then not at least let him see the rebuild through. There are questions marks of the development (or the lack of) of the young players on the team.

charlton66

Supports
Golden State
That 3rd quarter was so poor I think I'm going to call it quits for the night and go to bed.

SinNombre

That 3rd quarter was so poor I think I'm going to call it quits for the night and go to bed.
Two terrible defeats - Steph can’t come back soon enough. And he still needs support.

It is not a popular opinion amongst the Dubs community but the Warriors have massively overpaid for Poole.

sidsutton

Sounds like the writing is on the wall for Stephen Silas. Not sure he'll see the season out as the Rockets coach. Seems a bit unfair to hire him to coach Harden and Russ, then they leave that same summer and the Rockets blow it all up and enter a rebuild phase and then not at least let him see the rebuild through. There are questions marks of the development (or the lack of) of the young players on the team.
Massive questions. I think he’s a hack, good riddance.

Sarni

Two terrible defeats - Steph can’t come back soon enough. And he still needs support.

It is not a popular opinion amongst the Dubs community but the Warriors have massively overpaid for Poole.
If Warriors hadn’t paid that, one of the teams with cap space (eg Magic) would have probably given him a similar offer sheet. He got a similar contract to Herro and he’s a similar type and level of a player. Simons got a bit less at Blazers and I was actually quite happy with that deal at the time, and still am.

SinNombre

If Warriors hadn’t paid that, one of the teams with cap space (eg Magic) would have probably given him a similar offer sheet. He got a similar contract to Herro and he’s a similar type and level of a player. Simons got a bit less at Blazers and I was actually quite happy with that deal at the timoe, and still am.
Herro 120+10 over 4 years (EPM +1.9, rank 59)
Simons 100 over 4 years (EPM +1.0, rank 88)
Poole 123+17 over 4 years (EPM -1.0, rank 199)
Maxey ? (EPM -0.1, rank 137)

Haliburton who is the best of the lot, has EPM of +5.3 and rank 12. Hali is not the same year so not sure why I am including him haha.

You could argue Poole would look better on advanced stats when he gets to share a court with Steph, as almost everyone does, but paying him more than Simons never made sense outside of Draymond punching Poole. I would argue the level of this group clubbed together is Herro > Simons/Poole/Maxey but they are all a couple of tiers below Hali who deserves a 140/4 contract.

Last edited:

Sarni

Haliburton who is the best of the lot, has EPM of +5.3 and rank 12. Hali is not the same year so not sure why I am including him haha.

You could argue Poole would look better on advanced stats when he gets to share a court with Steph, as almost everyone does, but paying him more than Simons never made sense outside of Draymond punching Poole. I would argue the level of this group clubbed together is Herro > Simons/Poole/Maxey but they are all a couple of tiers below Hali who deserves a 140/4 contract.
Yeah Haliburton is on another level to all of them, he’s one of the best point guards in the league already.

I’d actually have Maxey level with Herro (as a worse scorer but superior playmaker and defender), both of whom are slightly above Simons and Poole IMO. Poole’s upside is probably the lowest of them though,

Revan

Assumptionman
KD getting injured sucks. Nets were in course of getting the first seed in the East. Now they will fall down in the table and lose the momentum.

Still, if KD, Irving and Simmons are fit for playoffs, they will be one of the main favorites.

Sarni

KD getting injured sucks. Nets were in course of getting the first seed in the East. Now they will fall down in the table and lose the momentum.

Still, if KD, Irving and Simmons are fit for playoffs, they will be one of the main favorites.
They won't. What exactly changed in a year to propel them from the mess they were in the playoffs to favorites? Literally the same team minus Simmons, who hasn't even been that good (not sure him being there is much of an upgrade vs Bruce Brown in the playoffs last year, for example), lost 4-0 to Celtics in the first round last year (when you had them down as favorites too). They seem to be playing better under the new coach but their roster construction is still not good.

They were on a decent run prior to this injury but they are still barely .500 (or not even that) against teams with a winning record. When you look closely at their 16-1 run they only had to win 3 games against teams over .500, and one was against second string Warriors so it doesn't really count. They basically won 14 games against vastly inferior teams, which of course is still impressive but does not at all put them at the same level as Celtics, Nuggets etc. who have actually shown they can beat good teams consistently.

At very best they will be third favorites in the East alone, behind Celtics and Bucks, though I'd probably have them firmly behind Philadelphia as well. In the West I'd have at least Warriors, Nuggets and Grizzlies well ahead of them.

Last edited:

Revan

Assumptionman
They won't. What exactly changed in a year to propel them from the mess they were in the playoffs to favorites? Literally the same team minus Simmons, who hasn't even been that good (not sure him being there is much of an upgrade vs Bruce Brown in the playoffs last year, for example), lost 4-0 to Celtics in the first round last year (when you had them down as favorites too). They seem to be playing better under the new coach but their roster construction is still not good.

They were on a decent run prior to this injury but they are still barely .500 (or not even that) against teams with a winning record. When you look closely at their 16-1 run they only had to win 3 games against teams over .500, and one was against second string Warriors so it doesn't really count. They basically won 14 games against vastly inferior teams, which of course is still impressive but does not at all put them at the same level as Celtics, Nuggets etc. who have actually shown they can beat good teams consistently.

At very best they will be third favorites in the East alone, behind Celtics and Bucks, though I'd probably have them firmly behind Philadelphia as well. In the West I'd have at least Warriors, Nuggets and Grizzlies well ahead of them.
I don’t disagree that Bucks and Celtics are favorites to be fair. However,

a) calling their run a decent run is a bit selling them short. They are 18-2 in the last 20 games, by far the most in form team in the league.

b) as many have said before, it was the closest swept in many years. They lost in average by 4.5 points and were winning 3 matches by double digit points.

c) they have changed the coach who was never able to get the best of Irving. Also, Irving is not going stupid this year.

d) Celtics did the best job a team has ever done at stopping KD. I would be very surprised if they can repeat that.

e) Simmons is one of the best defenders in the league and Nets main weakness was defense. He can help them in defense a lot, while also being a very good playmaker (though he now shoots even worse than for Philly).

I would be surprised if GSW will be in game for the title, Denver and Memphis has not shown anything in playoffs and Denver’s best player is a total liability in defense. I think whoever wins the East will win the playoffs, and I do not think there is much between Bucks, Celtics and Nets if everyone is healthy, with Bucks being probably the best out of them all.

charlton66

Supports
Golden State

I think you are doing Poole a bit of a disservice. At times, both this year and last he has had to carry a Championship team on the offensive end of the court, both when Steph was out and Klay was struggling with his form. No other player that you mention has even remotely been asked to carry such a burden. Because of this he has definitely pushed too hard and very often tried to do too much. This has affected both his form, efficiency and stats. He will never be good enough to be that number 1 guy on a Championship team and he is not being paid like that, but he could easily be a solid number 2 on a good team or a number 3 offensive player on a Championship team which is about where he's at. I would definitely take him over Herro and Simons I like Maxey for his overall game so that is a push.

Sarni

I don’t disagree that Bucks and Celtics are favorites to be fair. However,

a) calling their run a decent run is a bit selling them short. They are 18-2 in the last 20 games, by far the most in form team in the league.

b) as many have said before, it was the closest swept in many years. They lost in average by 4.5 points and were winning 3 matches by double digit points.

c) they have changed the coach who was never able to get the best of Irving. Also, Irving is not going stupid this year.

d) Celtics did the best job a team has ever done at stopping KD. I would be very surprised if they can repeat that.

e) Simmons is one of the best defenders in the league and Nets main weakness was defense. He can help them in defense a lot, while also being a very good playmaker (though he now shoots even worse than for Philly).

I would be surprised if GSW will be in game for the title, Denver and Memphis has not shown anything in playoffs and Denver’s best player is a total liability in defense. I think whoever wins the East will win the playoffs, and I do not think there is much between Bucks, Celtics and Nets if everyone is healthy, with Bucks being probably the best out of them all.
Like I said, their run was mostly against team with sub .500 record. While impressive, it has to be taken into consideration when you assess it. If I am counting correctly, they are 7-10 against team with winning record, and they will face teams strictly with over .500 record in the playoffs.

Philadelphia are 12-3 over their last 15 games, and they've actually won more games against winning teams (6) during that run, and some of the wins were without Embiid. I also reckon their roster build is better though obviously with Doc they will find a way to mess it up against someone obscure anyway.

Simmons will help on defense. Their best performer in last years playoffs was actually Bruce Brown, at his best Simmons will be an improvement over him on defense but will actually make them worse on the other end of the floor at the same time. Funny that in 2023 it's actually a debate whether you'd rather have Bruce Brown or Simmons, who'd have thought.

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
Halfway this regular season and it just seems a looooong warm up, much more than in the recent past.

charlton66

Supports
Golden State
Half way through the 3rd and Dubs look totally out of sync.. Suns not even playing that well yet up by a bunch.

charlton66

Supports
Golden State
Made it a little interesting at the end when it got down to 6, but that was about it.

Charlie Foley

What a hell was that viewing experience in GSW vs Spurs, holy shit :lol:
I thought it was really odd. The seating set up around the court was weird and it looked like the views behind it were shite. I don’t know what they could have done to fix it (people have said some stuff about a march madness set up online but not sure what that set up is) but it was terrible. Factor in it was a blow out and even the noise potential was lost.

how was the georgia dome in 98? The clips and photos of it look less goofy at least.

the claustrophobia of an NBA arena is quite important I guess

R'hllor

I thought it was really odd. The seating set up around the court was weird and it looked like the views behind it were shite. I don’t know what they could have done to fix it (people have said some stuff about a march madness set up online but not sure what that set up is) but it was terrible. Factor in it was a blow out and even the noise potential was lost.

how was the georgia dome in 98? The clips and photos of it look less goofy at least.

the claustrophobia of an NBA arena is quite important I guess
Dunno just saw some photos and really hope those tickets didnt cost more than 5 bucks.

charlton66

Supports
Golden State
Dunno just saw some photos and really hope those tickets didnt cost more than 5 bucks.
According to ESPN, cheapest were $10 which was the same price as when the first game was played there back in 1993 coincidentaly also against the Dubs.