NBA 2022-2023

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Still debating whether to set my alarm for tonight or not. Gonna be annoying to get up, not see him break it and then get up again on Thursday night.

36 points is feasible but don't think he'll get it.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
Imagine paying $75k for a courtside seat only to not see him break the record tonight :lol:

HTG

Supports
Bayern
Imagine paying $75k for a courtside seat only to not see him break the record tonight :lol:
Imagine paying that money for a courtside seat at all. It’s just a dumb waste of money anyway.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
Imagine paying that money for a courtside seat at all. It’s just a dumb waste of money anyway.
If I had an income where $75k was the equivalent of what $75 currently is to me, then I'd also pay it to witness history front-row.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
They are not really going for that though. There are some listed for $70k but similar tickets are also listed for $10k and less which is not terrible money for an arena that is in LA. And you can get tickets for upper levels for as little as $120 which is very affordable.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
They are not really going for that though. There are some listed for $70k but similar tickets are also listed for $10k and less which is not terrible money for an arena that is in LA. And you can get tickets for upper levels for as little as $120 which is very affordable.
Yeah fair enough. If you can spunk $10k on a seat it probably doesn't matter to you whether it's 10 or 75 either way. You just wanna see him break the record at your own game.

And if you're really that rich and wanna witness it, you simply buy tickets to both games.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
@Sarni let me pick your mind. Do you extend Naz Reid for 10m? Apparently that's what he wants while the market indicates that he is worth 7-8m. Now my biased self thinks that he is worth more than 10m and expected him to ask for around 15m.

So I would extend him in a heartbeat at that price but I don't know if it's a sound idea.

Sarni

Yeah fair enough. If you can spunk $10k on a seat it probably doesn't matter to you whether it's 10 or 75 either way. You just wanna see him break the record at your own game.

And if you're really that rich and wanna witness it, you simply buy tickets to both games.
Nah, $10k and $70k is a huge difference. I’m by no means a rich person but there are once in a lifetime experiences where I could see myself spending $10k, but no way would I ever fork out $70k on any short lasting experience.

Sarni

@Sarni let me pick your mind. Do you extend Naz Reid for 10m? Apparently that's what he wants while the market indicates that he is worth 7-8m. Now my biased self thinks that he is worth more than 10m and expected him to ask for around 15m.

So I would extend him in a heartbeat at that price but I don't know if it's a sound idea.
Cap is supposed to go up significantly this year and over the next couple of season so I don’t see $2m a year extra will be much of an issue. I’m also surprised by $10m, thought his value would be slightly higher. The only problem is you’d be spending like $100m on three centers and would need to extend Edwards soon but then again $10m on a backup center is not the main issue here anyway.

Sarni

Toronto and Brooklyn blowing up it seems!?
Does not look like it. Toronto seem to be waiting on possible KD availability in the Summer while Nets still hope to build around KD (and probably have enough assets to at least try to surround him with sufficient talent).

Sarni

Portland seem to be main suitors for Vanderbilt with price being quoted at a relatively low level apparently. I guess if we could get this done by trading Hart to a third team for some pieces and then rerouting that plus a couple of second round picks to Utah, it would be worth it. I do rate Vanderbilt as a defender and he seems to have got slightly better offensively this season, even knocking down a few shots. We badly need size on defense which he will most definitely provide.

SinNombre

Cam Thomas with a 3rd successive 40+ game - we have a successor to Westbrook

ExoduS

Jokic with a triple double at a halftime. Embid gonna have to work hard for that MVP.

Sarni

Cam Thomas with a 3rd successive 40+ game - we have a successor to Westbrook
I’m pretty sure he has made some history here. He was already the second youngest player to have 2 consecutive 40+ points games after last night, so probably will be the youngest to have 3… also I don’t imagine there are too many players to even have 3 in a row in the first place. Curious to see what records he’s beaten, which will be fully known by morning (I am sure there will be some of the ‘the first player ever named Cameron shorter than 6’6” to xxx’ sort).

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness

The difference between 10k and 75k is a lot. I’m far from being rich but I would spend 10k for example to get a retroactive seat at the 99 CL final, but I wouldn’t spend 75k. If you’re a multimillionaire, yeah I can see it not being a massive issue but if you’re just someone who makes a decent six figure salary, one is doable the other has impacts for your retirement.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Kinda nuts to just stop the game for a ceremony. LeBron one of the greatest of all time. I have him second now, ahead of Jordan but behind Kareem.

Real Name

Great record but is stopping the game for that a new thing in NBA cause I find it a bit ridiculous.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
Nah, $10k and $70k is a huge difference. I’m by no means a rich person but there are once in a lifetime experiences where I could see myself spending $10k, but no way would I ever fork out $70k on any short lasting experience.
The difference between 10k and 75k is a lot. I’m far from being rich but I would spend 10k for example to get a retroactive seat at the 99 CL final, but I wouldn’t spend 75k. If you’re a multimillionaire, yeah I can see it not being a massive issue but if you’re just someone who makes a decent six figure salary, one is doable the other has impacts for your retirement.
Aight fair enough guys! I'm so far off those figures that luckily I don't have to worry about stuff like that :lol:

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
Fair to say that this record will at least stand for approximately 20 years? I don't see anyone in the NBA currently as a threat, and James isn't going anywhere soon either. So if he eclipses 40k, you'd need to be in the NBA for at least ~20 years.

You'd need to be incredibly gifted and have the longevity and drive without any injuries. Even with talents like Wembanyama, I'm inclined to think "a LOT of things need to go his way in order to even come close".

If Durant didn't have all his injuries during his career he might've been close, like 2-5k points away. And he's still only 34.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
I just understood that this record only accounts for the regular season and that he broke the overall points record including playoffs a while ago. Why isn't that a bigger deal? Surely you should include playoff points when thinking of most points by a player ever.

I suppose you play more games in playoffs currently than previous generations but 82 games a season has been consistent for generations now. So it's a more even measure to just look at regular season.

Sarni

Fair to say that this record will at least stand for approximately 20 years? I don't see anyone in the NBA currently as a threat, and James isn't going anywhere soon either. So if he eclipses 40k, you'd need to be in the NBA for at least ~20 years.

You'd need to be incredibly gifted and have the longevity and drive without any injuries. Even with talents like Wembanyama, I'm inclined to think "a LOT of things need to go his way in order to even come close".

If Durant didn't have all his injuries during his career he might've been close, like 2-5k points away. And he's still only 34.
I don’t think it will ever be broken in our lifetimes. Sure enough in 200 years when humanity has found a way to keep body in shape beyond 50 or reach for immortality it will go but assuming no significant changes in aging process of humans, I don’t see anyone having the same consistency over such a long period of time. LeBron will easily play for 3 more seasons after this too and I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s still in the league at like 44-45… maybe not scoring 28-30 ppg anymore but still grabbing 20 on the night. If Carter could contribute to an NBA team until 43 then I don’t see LeBron retiring anytime soon.

Even with points inflation that we are currently witnessing it is hard to see anyone having the same longevity, consistency and especially durability (he’s hardly ever injured).

Sarni

I just understood that this record only accounts for the regular season and that he broke the overall points record including playoffs a while ago. Why isn't that a bigger deal? Surely you should include playoff points when thinking of most points by a player ever.

I suppose you play more games in playoffs currently than previous generations but 82 games a season has been consistent for generations now. So it's a more even measure to just look at regular season.
NBA tend to separate regular season from the playoffs so majority of record being talked about are purely regular season oriented. With the success LeBron has had in the playoffs where outside of the last couple of years he was basically consistently getting far from his early days, his total record is going to be even more impossible to break.

Sarni

Great record but is stopping the game for that a new thing in NBA cause I find it a bit ridiculous.
It’s kind of a big deal though. A 10-minute break in the game to celebrate is fine.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool

This is so sad.

Also AD's reaction to the record-breaking basket was weird. I wonder if he's getting traded (not sure if that's a possibility at all, mind).

Sarni

This is so sad.

Also AD's reaction to the record-breaking basket was weird. I wonder if he's getting traded (not sure if that's a possibility at all, mind).
No chance. Technically possible as he is eligible to be traded but I don’t see Lakers doing that.

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
Jokes aside, hats off to the greatest player of this generation and a top 3 all times for sure. Well done, LBJ!

SinNombre

Rightly so I’d say. It’s disrespectful towards the opponent. Plenty of time to celebrate once the game is over.
Most NBA players don’t take half court shots at the end of quarters to protect their stats.

If there is a sport where this makes sense, it is the NBA

HTG

Supports
Bayern
Most NBA players don’t take half court shots at the end of quarters to protect their stats.

If there is a sport where this makes sense, it is the NBA
It really is fitting. But rubs me the wrong way.

ExoduS

Lebron has to be the most uninspiring all time great. Has a generic strong/big game with very little imagination and flair.

Nice archivement, great longevity, but not my goat. Not even close.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
Lebron has to be the most uninspiring all time great. Has a generic strong/big game with very little imagination and flair.
We must be watching a different player if you really believe that. He can score in all kind of ways, he's one of the best passers of the ball ever, he's a phsyical specimen.

The fact that this record which was previously deemend unbreakable has been broken by a player with a pass-first mentality, a SF/PF who's 4th on the all-time assist rankings as well, is beyond crazy.

No imagination...

Stacks

We must be watching a different player if you really believe that. He can score in all kind of ways, he's one of the best passers of the ball ever, he's a phsyical specimen.

The fact that this record which was previously deemend unbreakable has been broken by a player with a pass-first mentality, a SF/PF who's 4th on the all-time assist rankings as well, is beyond crazy.

No imagination...
He's really not pass first though. That's cap. He's a scorer. He will never not try and get his 25 and has averaged like 1.5 assists per game more than MJ who is not pass first apparently

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
He's really not pass first though. That's cap. He's a scorer. He will never not try and get his 25 and has averaged like 1.5 assists per game more than MJ who is not pass first apparently
He's basically been criticized the majority of his career for wanting to make the best basketball play instead of getting a shot off himself now suddenly he's a scorer, nah.

He's been scoring 25+ on average because he's a dominant force, simple as. Durant, Harden, Trae are pure scorers imo. The likes of LeBron and Doncic are definitely not even though they average near 30 points a game these days.

Also Jordan averaged 5.3 assists in the regular season, James is on 7.3 according to StatMuse.

Sarni

Just over 24 hours to go for trades to happen and the market is still seemingly very quiet. I never quite fully grasped the idea of literally every single trade bar a couple happening within the last hour before deadline.

I get the argument for maximizing trade value and some teams tend to get more desperate as time goes by but surely there will be cases when you are actively trying to move your assets and their value will have diminished for a host of reasons. Also many teams could probably salvage their season by making moves early.