NBA 2022-2023

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Dumb move for the Mavs. Losing their best defender in Finney Smith, and I don't think Kyrie and Doncic will work well with each other. Both are ball dominant and Doncic isn't a good spot up shooter so it's basically one of them will have the ball and try to create while the other will stand around. Plus both aren't good defenders.

Don't think it'll work for Mavs. Nets get a good scorer in Dimwiddie, who has had strong scoring nights when Doncic hasn't played, plus a great 3D player with multiple picks. One trade Nets will likely win after those terrible last few trades (Harden and then Simmons).

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Dumb move for the Mavs. Losing their best defender in Finney Smith, and I don't think Kyrie and Doncic will work well with each other. Both are ball dominant and Doncic isn't a good spot up shooter so it's basically one of them will have the ball and try to create while the other will stand around. Plus both aren't good defenders.

Don't think it'll work for Mavs. Nets get a good scorer in Dimwiddie, who has had strong scoring nights when Doncic hasn't played, plus a great 3D player with multiple picks. One trade Nets will likely win after those terrible last few trades (Harden and then Simmons).
Mavs roster is abysmal now. They don’t have a single reliable wing defender, they have no wings. They will need to line up with Kyrie, Doncic and Hardaway which will be abysmal defensively, and it’s not like they have much of interior defense with Wood. Also, almost no picks to trade.

And from Summer onwards it will be just Luka.

Last edited:

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Mavs roster is abysmal now. They don’t have a single reliable wing defender, they have no wings. They will need to line up with Kyrie, Doncic and Hardaway which will be abysmal defensively, and it’s not like they have much of interior defense with Wood. Also, almost no picks to trade.
Bullock is the only reliable defender they have now. They can have a line-up of Doncic, Irving, Bullock, Green, Powell/Wood.

SinNombre

Steph is out for multiple weeks again. Freak injury but the load on him at age 35 is just ridiculous because of the two timeline nonsense.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
I guess he found out he’s moving to New York from Shams :lol:

edcunited1878

So bizarre...a lopsided trade for Brooklyn. Dallas might not want to sign Kyrie to a new deal if this expensive test run doesn't work out. And you know Kyrie is going to test free agency just because.

Kazi

Not sure why the Mavs on getting hate for this.

Everyone has been saying Luka needs help. A top 10 player is available so if you can get him, get him. Of course it’s Kyrie so it’s a risk but it’s worth seeing this play out rather than another playoff run where you already know the ending.

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
Random and not NBA but I really fancy going to watch real Madrid play basketball, has anyone ever done that?
EuroLeague is hot and Real are good, so enjoy your game!

Sarni

Not sure why the Mavs on getting hate for this.

Everyone has been saying Luka needs help. A top 10 player is available so if you can get him, get him. Of course it’s Kyrie so it’s a risk but it’s worth seeing this play out rather than another playoff run where you already know the ending.
But it’s pretty much another playoff run where you already know the ending anyway (they are not winning anything), except the worst case scenario becomes much more grim with Kyrie likely to ditch them in June leaving team with Luka and literally nothing else, a completely empty cupboard and no tradeable assets whatsoever. It’s a terrible deal for Mavs and a huge, huge risk which could easily lead to Luka asking for a trade next year. It was not the time to make an all-in move and it’s a wrong one.

Also no way Kyrie is top 10.

Last edited:

Kazi

But it’s pretty much another playoff run where you already know the ending anyway (they are not winning anything), except the worst case scenario becomes much more grim with Kyrie likely to ditch them in June leaving team with Luka and literally nothing else, a completely empty cupboard and no tradeable assets whatsoever. It’s a terrible deal for Mavs and a huge, huge risk which could easily lead to Luka asking for a trade next year.

Also absolutely no way Kyrie is top 10.
I’m sure if you checked their championship odds this morning vs tomorrow morning, there’d be a shift.

Luka with his current squad (pre-Kyrie) vs Luka with an empty cupboard still results in the same outcome - no real hope for a championship. Luka was likely already heading towards asking for a trade which is one of the reasons why the Kyrie trade has happened.

Owners are more concerned about the upside and winning a championship rather than the worst case scenario - fortune favours the brave these days and is becoming more and more of a trend.

Kyrie is literally an All Star starter and is undoubtedly top 10 talent-wise.

Sarni

The only team that truly made sense here were Lakers but they obviously could not match Dallas offer. With Kyrie you are realistically looking at maybe 6-18 months where he is going to be bothered and give you his best and that is fine for the Lakers as they have a 38-year old LeBron and frequently injured AD, you could see how adding Kyrie to this team could get them somewhere near contention this season and would at least get them closer to the playoffs.

Also mind he’s going to be looking for a payday in a few months and if Mavs want to keep him, anywhere other than close to the max offer will probably feel like an insult in his eyes and will cause him to walk. Looking strictly at the prospect of having him next year it’s probably more convenient to NOT have him in your team in the first place when the free agency approaches.

Sarni

I’m sure if you checked their championship odds this morning vs tomorrow morning, there’d be a shift.

Luka with his current squad (pre-Kyrie) vs Luka with an empty cupboard still results in the same outcome - no real hope for a championship. Luka was likely already heading towards asking for a trade which is one of the reasons why the Kyrie trade has happened.

Owners are more concerned about the upside and winning a championship rather than the worst case scenario - fortune favours the brave these days and is becoming more and more of a trend.

Kyrie is literally an All Star starter and is undoubtedly top 10 talent-wise.
They still have basically zero chance of winning the championship. You can’t win the championship with not a single decent defender (not even talking about elite defenders which you actually need, but anyone who even remotely has a clue what to do on that end of the floor).

The lack of backcourt talent in the East made it easy for him to be a starter, he’d not make it as a starter in the West and would probably not make the All-Star team on merit in the West at all. He is a great player but he’s not worth the hassle.

Mavs really strangled themselves with Porzingis trade though it was the correct move at the time. It tied up their assets in that deal at the time and made them unable to make any significant moves for the last two seasons. I don’t really know the details of the pick they are giving up here but it’s probably 2025/26 one, meaning after this season ends they won’t be able to trade one until 2027. This is also a serious issue with this deal. If it was DFS and Dinwiddie I’d maybe be more OK with this risk but pick on top makes it too lopsided.

R'hllor

Looking on a side, looks like Dallas gave a lot a lot for someone like Kyrie as total package, miss me with whole talent thing, guy is fecking rot on so many levels, even if you ignore all outside basketball stuff, how can you count on him, only way if he is on some carrot string contract, which doubt he will ever accept.

This trade might be success for both sides, guess Nets will use picks now to chase some target to add to KD, on other side if Luka adapts a bit, they could work as duo, now team wise, when it comes to team defending now thats different topic.

charlton66

Supports
Golden State
Steph is out for multiple weeks again. Freak injury but the load on him at age 35 is just ridiculous because of the two timeline nonsense.
At least through the All Star break is what I heard.

Not looking good.

ExoduS

I just don't see how Luka and Irwing can work together. Gonna be a disaster. Irwing is also very unstable individual. Clearly struggles with some sort of mild mental illness.

SinNombre

Agree with Sarni

And Kyrie is not a top 10 player even on talent - Bron, Steph, KD, Giannis, Jokic, Doncic, Embiid, Tatum and fit Kawhi and AD are all clearly better.

Talent wise, he is more comparable to Ja, Booker, SGA, PG, Dame, Zion etc and a lot more unstable.

R'hllor

Sup with Ja crew pointing lasers, potentially guns through the window

Sarni

Agree with Sarni

And Kyrie is not a top 10 player even on talent - Bron, Steph, KD, Giannis, Jokic, Doncic, Embiid, Tatum and fit Kawhi and AD are all clearly better.

Talent wise, he is more comparable to Ja, Booker, SGA, PG, Dame, Zion etc and a lot more unstable.
Yeah and in a PG position alone I would much rather have about 6-7 players in the league, including the one he is going to be playing next to. I am probably even fooling myself it’s just 6-7 as when I start counting them, all things considered (defense, fit, most importantly reliability) I come down to a list of about 12-13.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Listening to the Hoop Collective podcast, they're saying Markieff Morris is also included in the deal. That would somewhat replace the 3D abilities of Dorian Finney Smith, though Morris seems to have barely played this season.

This definitely is a all or nothing trade by Dallas. If they don't win the chip and Kyrie leaves in the summer, you can imagine how angry Doncic will be because the squad will be completely gutted. They'll have some cap space but again it'll be a rebuild in a way.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Doncic needs to force his way to the Lakers once Lebron leaves. It's the only right thing to do.

Sarni

Listening to the Hoop Collective podcast, they're saying Markieff Morris is also included in the deal. That would somewhat replace the 3D abilities of Dorian Finney Smith, though Morris seems to have barely played this season.

This definitely is a all or nothing trade by Dallas. If they don't win the chip and Kyrie leaves in the summer, you can imagine how angry Doncic will be because the squad will be completely gutted. They'll have some cap space but again it'll be a rebuild in a way.
You can pretty much guarantee that they won't win the chip this year and even if Kyrie stays, he will still ditch them soon after. He has already caused trouble for three different franchises and I don't think there's anything specific about Dallas that would make him less likely to replicate that pattern of behavior there.

Looking at their cap space, they will probably need to use their other first round picks (as the one in this deal seems to be 2029 only) to shed Bertans and Hardaway's salaries so they could add some free agents around Luka. There's maybe a way to build a half decent team over there through acquiring of free agents but it's such an uncertain and complex way to fill your roster that I would not even contemplate it for now.

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
I was reading Dallas were trying to get Rozier, who would have been a smarter addition imho, at least in terms of team dynamics as the Doncic’s side hero in the backcourt? Anyway, that’s it, Doncic asking for a trade next!

Sarni

I was reading Dallas were trying to get Rozier, who would have been a smarter addition imho, at least in terms of team dynamics as the Doncic’s side hero in the backcourt? Anyway, that’s it, Doncic asking for a trade next!
Rozier would not have moved the needle but would in a way fill the void left by Brunson's departure. He'd have obviously been much cheaper to get as well, though I don't see him as an upgrade over Dinwiddie.

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
Rozier would not have moved the needle but would in a way fill the void left by Brunson's departure. He'd have obviously been much cheaper to get as well, though I don't see him as an upgrade over Dinwiddie.
He is/was more energetic and a hot-streak scoring machine, though? Anyway, three days to go and a few blockbusters in the making imho, with Miami, Brooklyn and Phila looking for upgrades to contend in the East.

Sarni

He is/was more energetic and a hot-streak scoring machine, though? Anyway, three days to go and a few blockbusters in the making imho, with Miami, Brooklyn and Phila looking for upgrades to contend in the East.
I don’t think there are going to be any truly major moves. The teams you mentioned barely have any significant assets to execute big deals. I think Suns will be very active as they need to trade Crowder and they are usually happy to part with their picks so could be a good trade partner for Raptors, who in turn seem to be the biggest sellers. Fully expecting both OG and FVV to move before deadline, my bet would be on OG to Pelicans and FVV to Nets or Suns. Then a few smaller moves like Conley to the Clippers and possibly some deals involving Lowry, Russell and some of the other Utah guys (Vanderbilt, Olynyk), and very minor tinkering around the edges moves like Richardson, Hart, LeVert. Of course the few tanking teams will probably be looking to trade their expiring assets but that’s just guys like Plumlee, Oubre etc so nothing crucial. I actually think Pistons may decide to keep Bogdanovic though it would be the correct move to trade him. Maybe Atlanta will try to do something with Collins but not sure they will find the right offer.

charlton66

Supports
Golden State
It's now being reported that Curry has a high ankle sprain and could be out anywhere from 4-6 weeks. If it's 4 its 12 games out, if 6 its 20.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
It's now being reported that Curry has a high ankle sprain and could be out anywhere from 4-6 weeks. If it's 4 its 12 games out, if 6 its 20.
Really? Where has that been reported? Based on everything I've seen (including the below official account) it's a knee injury:

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Sup with Ja crew pointing lasers, potentially guns through the window
This team is infuriating to support at times. And a lot of older heads in the league have said it. We haven't won shit yet. We've not even cracked the WCF which the last great Grizzlies team did. We are in the headlines too much for a team that goes on stupid losing streaks relative to our talent. Fights in LA, nonsense with entourages, Dillon acting like Big Billy Bollocks while being the most inefficient starter on the team...

How do you have this loud chip on your shoulder when you haven't won shit yet, and haven't got close to winning shit yet? Shut the feck up till you do.

Rant over

charlton66

Supports
Golden State
Really? Where has that been reported? Based on everything I've seen (including the below official account) it's a knee injury:

Below is a partial article from Sean Keane at Golden State of Mind.
Warriors release confusing Steph Curry injury update
Golden State offered an update on Steph Curry’s injury, but one that you might need a medical degree to understand. We attempt to explain.
  • By Sean Keane
  • on February 6, 2023 6:57 am

There were two updates on the health of Steph Curry, who exited the Golden State Warriors’ win over the Dallas Mavericks after future Brooklyn Net Dorian Finney-Smith bumped into his left knee. Curry’s left knee was already sore from a collision Thursday night, but this contact exacerbated the injury. Shams Charania released a low-information, straightforward update.
Then, the Warriors released a highly-specific injury update about the results of Curry’s MRI.
The takeaway is that Curry actually injured his lower leg, not his knee as many observers thought. Let’s break down what these anatomical terms mean:

Superior tibiofibular ligaments
Anatomically, “superior” means “upper”, not dominant. Look, Steph Curry excels at a wide range of things, but historically, the ligaments in his ankle have not been stellar. These ligaments are located at the top of the foot, where the tibia and fibula bones meet the talus bone and form the ankle joint.

Interosseous membrane
“Interosseous” means “between bones.” The interosseous membrane is located between, you guessed it, the tibia and the fibula. It’s also known as the “middle tibiofibular ligament.”
So what does this mean? The X-rays were negative, which means Curry didn’t break a bone in his ankle. From what we can parse, this means that Steph Curry tore ligaments at the top of his ankle, which is colloquially known as a high ankle sprain.

SinNombre

Realistically Steph is out at least all of Feb.

Warriors should trade but they won't.

Charlie Foley

Huge win. Klay really stepped up and Poole with 21 points, 12 assists, 5-10 from 3. A few TO when he forced things to Klay but a really good team performance. Wiggins looked great on SGA and JMG looked healthy and athletic, bullying guys in the paint

Charlie Foley

This team is infuriating to support at times. And a lot of older heads in the league have said it. We haven't won shit yet. We've not even cracked the WCF which the last great Grizzlies team did. We are in the headlines too much for a team that goes on stupid losing streaks relative to our talent. Fights in LA, nonsense with entourages, Dillon acting like Big Billy Bollocks while being the most inefficient starter on the team...

How do you have this loud chip on your shoulder when you haven't won shit yet, and haven't got close to winning shit yet? Shut the feck up till you do.

Rant over
No keep going.

he stepped over Mike Conley of all people!
Acting like a right shower of bellends

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Below is a partial article from Sean Keane at Golden State of Mind.
Warriors release confusing Steph Curry injury update
Golden State offered an update on Steph Curry’s injury, but one that you might need a medical degree to understand. We attempt to explain.
  • By Sean Keane
  • on February 6, 2023 6:57 am

There were two updates on the health of Steph Curry, who exited the Golden State Warriors’ win over the Dallas Mavericks after future Brooklyn Net Dorian Finney-Smith bumped into his left knee. Curry’s left knee was already sore from a collision Thursday night, but this contact exacerbated the injury. Shams Charania released a low-information, straightforward update.
Then, the Warriors released a highly-specific injury update about the results of Curry’s MRI.
The takeaway is that Curry actually injured his lower leg, not his knee as many observers thought. Let’s break down what these anatomical terms mean:

Superior tibiofibular ligaments
Anatomically, “superior” means “upper”, not dominant. Look, Steph Curry excels at a wide range of things, but historically, the ligaments in his ankle have not been stellar. These ligaments are located at the top of the foot, where the tibia and fibula bones meet the talus bone and form the ankle joint.

Interosseous membrane
“Interosseous” means “between bones.” The interosseous membrane is located between, you guessed it, the tibia and the fibula. It’s also known as the “middle tibiofibular ligament.”
So what does this mean? The X-rays were negative, which means Curry didn’t break a bone in his ankle. From what we can parse, this means that Steph Curry tore ligaments at the top of his ankle, which is colloquially known as a high ankle sprain.
Hrm? The superior tibiofibular ligaments are at the top of where the tibia and fibula come together - this is the knee, not the ankle. The interosseous membrane is basically what keeps the bones of the forearm and lower leg correctly positioned.

It sounds like he had a high velocity lateral impact just below the actual knee joint - fortunately it wasn't a bit higher or there's a greater chance of an ACL injury. This is definitely not his ankle though.

charlton66

Supports
Golden State
Hrm? The superior tibiofibular ligaments are at the top of where the tibia and fibula come together - this is the knee, not the ankle. The interosseous membrane is basically what keeps the bones of the forearm and lower leg correctly positioned.

It sounds like he had a high velocity lateral impact just below the actual knee joint - fortunately it wasn't a bit higher or there's a greater chance of an ACL injury. This is definitely not his ankle though.
I'm not a doctor, so OK.

Don't suppose it matters in the big scheme of things. He's going to be out for a while.

Sarni

It seems that Raptors are going to be happy to keep OG and Siakam, and might only be willing to deal FVV at a very high price. Magic are interested though not really sure why when they could get him through free agency in the Summer without sacrificing anything.