NBA Thread 2013-2014

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
Kendall Marshall sure has had some impressive stat lines this season, I wonder if he'll become a starter next season when Nash leaves.

I also wonder if he can play defense.
I've given up no trying to define Marshall. His shot is ugly as hell and he's making 3s at a decent rate :lol:

JaffyJoe

Provides RedCafe with shit Twitter news
Lebron keeps bigging himself up in the press :boring::boring::boring:. This is why people don't like him, he is an attention whore. Keep your head down.

In other news: Durant has been amazing this season he seems to have taken another step, Griffin has been amazing too. Anthony Davis goes from strength to strength. John Wall has come on leaps and bounds (still can't shoot) Phoenix and Portland have been the surprise team of the season.

Who do we see as favourites now? OKC plus Westbrook.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Lebron keeps bigging himself up in the press :boring::boring::boring:. This is why people don't like him, he is an attention whore. Keep your head down.

In other news: Durant has been amazing this season he seems to have taken another step, Griffin has been amazing too. Anthony Davis goes from strength to strength. John Wall has come on leaps and bounds (still can't shoot) Phoenix and Portland have been the surprise team of the season.

Who do we see as favourites now? OKC plus Westbrook.
As long as Westbrook realises he's #2 to Durant and doesn't start taking a million shots a game, OKC are my favourites to finally go all the way and win. Durant has been a beast this year, he looks ready to win the title.

OKC-Clippers in the Western Conference finals & then OKC-Indiana in the finals would be 2 great series.

JaffyJoe

Provides RedCafe with shit Twitter news
As long as Westbrook realises he's #2 to Durant and doesn't start taking a million shots a game, OKC are my favourites to finally go all the way and win. Durant has been a beast this year, he looks ready to win the title.

OKC-Clippers in the Western Conference finals & then OKC-Indiana in the finals would be 2 great series.
I agree. baa and Durant have built up a great understanding, Brooks has improved as a coach. Westbrook just needs to come back and shoot between 42-47% from the field, he wastes a lot of possessions putting up bad shots. I think it's their time. The Heat look tired, they need Wade to win and I don't think he can deliver anymore. Indiana are deep, it would be a great finals between those two teams.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
In honor of the idiocy we often see in the decision making of management in all sports, I'd like to present you with a list of Big Nothings of the last 30 years.

Why can't NBA executives tell a Big Nothing from a future All-Star? I'm gonna stick to the top 3 pics, with a few notable exceptions. 30 stunning flops in the last 30 years.

#2 Steve Stipanovich (1983)
#2 Sam Bowie (1984) [taken ahead of Jordan, Barkley]
#3 Benoit Benjamin (1985)
#5 Jon Konak, #6 Joe Kliene (1985)
taken ahead of Chris Mullin, Detlef Schrempf, Charles Oakley, Karl Malone, AC Green & Terry Porter
#3 Chris Washburn (1986)
#1 Danny Manning (1988)
#3 Charles Smith (1988)
#1 Pervis Ellison (1989)
#2 Danny Ferry (1989) [what a useless lump he was]
#1 Derrick Coleman (1990)
#3 Christian Laettner (1992)
#2 Shawn Bradley (1993)
#1 Joe Smith (1995)
#2 Antonio McDyess (1995)
#6 Bryant "Big Country" Reeves (1987)
Grizzlies first ever pick, perhaps the worst center in history taken in first 6. Must have hurt to see Stackhouse, Rasheed Wallace and Garnett go just before, and the options at this point were admittedly average. Still, Bryant Reeves.
#2 Keith Van Horn (1997)
#1 Michael Olowokandi (1998)
#3 Raef LaFrentz (1998)
#5 Jonathan Bender (1999)
This is the Pacers highest draft pick since Rik Smits in 1988, utter and complete bust of epic proportions
#2 Stromile Swift (2000)
#1 Kwame Brown (2001)
#4 Eddie Curry (2001) [deep draft, highly rated]
#2 Darko Milicic (2003)
#2 Emeka Okafor (2004)
#1 Andrea Bargnani (2006)
#2 Hasheem Thabeet (2009)
#3 Derrick Favors (2010)
#2 Derrick Williams (2011)

Here are the guys they couldn't tell them from:
#1 Ralph Sampson (1983)
#1 Hakeem Olajuwon (1984)
#1 Patrick Ewing (1985)
#1 David Robinson (1987)
#2 Rik Smits (1988)
#1 Larry Jonhson (1991)
#4 Dikembe Mutumbo (1991)
#1 Shaquille O'Neal (1992)
#2 Alonzo Mourning (1992)
#1 Chris Webber (1993)
#5 Kevin Garnett (1995)
#4 Rasheed Wallace (1995)
#1 Tim Duncan (1997)
#1 Elton Brand (1999) [till injuries destroyed him]
#3 Pau Gasol (2001)
#2 Tyson Chandler (2001) [from bust to genius]
#1 Yao Ming (2002)
#4 Chris Bosh (2003)
#1 Dwight Howard (2004)
#1 Andrew Bogut (2005) [He was good before the injuries]
#2 LaMarcus Aldridge (2006)
#3 Al Horford (2007)
#5 Kevin Love (2008)
#1 Blake Griffin (2009)
#1 Anthony Davis (2012)

Last edited:

Nanderson

I ♥ Neymar
He would have been much better than good. He was putting up ridiculous numbers considering the minutes he was playing and his age. I don't think it's fair to include guys whose careers were ruined solely by injuries. Oden would have been dominant and most likely a regular All-Star and an annual candidate for DPOY.

Not sure it's fair to call Favors a bust either.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
He would have been much better than good. He was putting up ridiculous numbers considering the minutes he was playing and his age. I don't think it's fair to include guys whose careers were ruined solely by injuries. Oden would have been dominant and most likely a regular All-Star and an annual candidate for DPOY.

Not sure it's fair to call Favors a bust either.
Fair enough, his stats are better than I remembered, I'll take him off.

Favors is having a decent season, he might turn it around, ala Tyson Chandler, who would have been on that list before his title with Dallas.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
About freaking time there are refs watching the tv feed!

By next season, the NBA is planning to create and use a centralized replay center to help referees and speed up games.

"What we're in the process of doing is we're going to create a central location where we'll have people there who will be watching every game," NBA president of basketball operations Rod Thorn said Friday. "When the referees go over to the side, in many instances the [central replay center] will already know what happened and they'll be able to tell the referee, which will hopefully take less time."

The project is one of new commissioner Adam Silver's initiatives. The NBA would be mimicking a system the NHL started in 2011, when it created what is known as the "situation room" in Toronto where all goals from all games can be reviewed with calls communicated to the officials on the ice.

That experiment has been successful in shortening the time replays take in addition to removing some pressure from the referees on site.

The NFL is also studying the effects of creating a centralized replay center.

"It's still a work in progress for exactly how it's [going to work]," Thorn said. "On the line calls, like whether it's a 3-pointer or 2-pointer, or in many occasions they'll be able to tell the referee the ball was definitely [out of bounds], whatever team. That should help."

Over the last several years, the NBA has significantly expanded what is reviewable, especially at the ends of games. In addition to out of bounds calls and 3-pointers, officials can now review goaltending and even block/charge calls in the final two minutes and overtime.

In all, there are 14 things officials can review.
ESPN

Danny1982

Sectarian Hipster
Indiana made a last minute trade. Evan Turner and Lavoy Allen (from Philadelphia) for Danny Granger..

Great deal for Indiana.

Miami on the other hand freed a spot by trading away Mason Jr.. Still not clear though what they're gonna use it for.. Only 9 days to go for new names to emerge.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
interesting. Turner is in his 4th season, so he's a free agent at the end of the year? I watched Turner play quite a few times for Ohio State, played all 5 positions in his 4 years.

Danny1982

Sectarian Hipster
interesting. Turner is in his 4th season, so he's a free agent at the end of the year? I watched Turner play quite a few times for Ohio State, played all 5 positions in his 4 years.
He has a player option for next year (for 8 million).

For me he's younger, more athletic and healthier than Granger. He's also a good rebounder for his position which fits it perfectly with them.

As we expected a while back, Granger had hard times trying to adjust to the new Pacers team, and the question was always would the Pacers be able to trade him for good value? IMO, they did.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
He has a player option for next year (for 8 million).

For me he's younger, more athletic and healthier than Granger. He's also a good rebounder for his position which fits it perfectly with them.

As we expected a while back, Granger had hard times trying to adjust to the new Pacers team, and the question was always would the Pacers be able to trade him for good value? IMO, they did.
Well, as long as it means we still get to keep Stephenson then I'm happy. But I'm not sure how we're going to be able to afford Turner taking that option if we resign Lance.

Danny1982

Sectarian Hipster
Well, as long as it means we still get to keep Stephenson then I'm happy. But I'm not sure how we're going to be able to afford Turner taking that option if we resign Lance.
He already played for Indiana for 3 years or more right? That qualifies him for the "Bird right exception" where he can be offered any kind of money the club wants without cap restrictions.

Indiana will be well over the salary cap though (over $75m + what Stephenson would sign for = more than what Miami is paying this year).

Danny1982

Sectarian Hipster
James goes out with what it looks like a broken nose. Such a shame, he's on a good run.

Last edited:

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes

There is no god.
:lol:

Indiana made a last minute trade. Evan Turner and Lavoy Allen (from Philadelphia) for Danny Granger..

Great deal for Indiana.

Miami on the other hand freed a spot by trading away Mason Jr.. Still not clear though what they're gonna use it for.. Only 9 days to go for new names to emerge.
Sucks for Granger , this is the best Indiana team in years with a shot at winning a title. Glad for Turner.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
"Some stats" update:

5 hottest teams:
Miami (8-2)
Houston (8-2)
Oklahoma City (7-3)
Phoenix (7-3)
Memphis (7-3)

5 coldest teams:
Philly (1-9)
Milwaukee (2-8)
Lakers (2-8)
Magic (2-8)
Sacramento (3-7)

Best 8 Home Teams:
Indiana (26-3)
Oklahoma City (23-4)
Miami (20-4)
Clippers (23-5)
Houston (22-7)
Portland (19-7)
San Antonio (18-8)
Phoenix (18-9)

Best 8 Road Teams:
San Antonio (22-7)
Oklahoma City (20-9)
Miami (19-10)
Portland (17-11)
Indiana (15-10)
Houston (15-11)
Golden State (16-12)
Phoenix (14-12)

Best 8 Point Difference:
Indiana +7.8
Oklahoma City 6.9
San Antonio 6.3
Clippers 6.1
Miami 5.5
Golden State 4.7
Houston 4.4
Portland 4.0

Worst 5 Points Difference:
Philly -10.5
Milwaukee 9.3
Utah 5.9
Lakers 5.6
Orlando 5.4

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
It doesn't look like anyone can catch Milwaukee in the race to the bottom. I feel for the poor soul who they draft.

Milwaukee 10-44
Philly 15-40
Orlando 15-40
Sacramento 18-36
Lakers 18-36

Eboue

nasty little twerp with crazy bitter-man opinions
I'm typing this with my Glock 19 two feet from me
8 Worst Josh Smith Shooting Performances This Year

2 for 13
3 for 13
5 for 20
4 for 16
5 for 17
0 for 7
7 for 23
6 for 19
8 for 23

8 Worst Brandon Jennings Games This Year

29 minutes, 0 points, 0 for 7 shooting, 5 fouls
35 minutes, 8 points, 3 for 14 shooting, 4 fouls
43 minutes, 15 points, 5 for 23 shooting, 4 fouls
31 minutes, 5 points, 2 for 12 shooting, 3 fouls
35 minutes, 4 points, 2 for 14 shooting,
38 minutes, 8 points, 4 for 16 shooting, 5 turnovers, 4 fouls
32 minutes, 8 points, 2 for 11 shooting
33 minutes, 9 points, 3 for 14 shooting

10 Worst Moves By Joe Dumars Since The Darko Debacle

Trading Chauncey Billups for Allen Iverson
Giving Richard Hamilton A Huge Extension
Picking Kentavious Caldwell Pope ahead of Trey Burke
Signing Ben Gordon
Signing Charlie Villaneuva
Trading For Brandon Jennings
Signing Josh Smith
Trading Aaron Afflalo for nothing
Firing five coaches in five years
Rejecting a trade of Rondo and Allen for Prince, Stuckey and Hamilton

8 Most Depressing Pistons Games This Season

Losing by 24 to Washington
Shooting 37% against the Knicks
Blowing a late lead in Memphis because Josh Smith took 11 threes and only made 3 of them, while adding 5 turnovers for good measure
Losing by 21 at home to Utah where Trey Burke had 20 points and 12 assists while KCP had 5 points and 1 assist
Letting Golden State shoot 60% from the field for the entire game
Shooting 4 for 23 on threes against Cleveland and losing by 4
Losing by 28 at home to a team currently not in the playoffs (Memphis)
Losing by 27 at home to a team currently not in the playoffs (Minnesota)

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
Jennings is 7th in scoring among PGs, above Parker, Lowry and Teague.

Among the top 30 PGs in scoring, only one has a worse shooting % (Jennings 38% & Rubio 34%).

Jennings is tied for 10th in rebounding among PGs.

Jennings is 8th in made free-throws among PGs. But he's 24th in % among PGs.

Jennings is 6th in made 3s among PGs. But he's only making 34.8%.

Jennings is 6th in assists (overall and among PGs), but 17th among PGs in AST/TO ratio.

Jennings is 8th in steals among PGs, but also ranks 10th in TOs among PGs (10th highest TO per game rate).

At least he has the talent to make things happen, that gives him a chance at being a quality player, if he can become more efficient.

But yeah, horrific defense. Doesn't even have the decency to wave goodbye as his man goes past him.

Eboue

There are 57 guards that have averaged at least 25 minutes per game and played at least 45 games.

Jennings is 55th in FG%
43rd in 3 point %
52nd in eFG%
51st in TS%
45th in dRTG

These are his shot charts.

This is the same player he has always been. This is where his talent gets him. He's not going to get more efficient. He sucks.

Danny1982

Sectarian Hipster
Jennings' problem is not in all what you said. His stats aren't really as bad you make it..

Let's make a quick comparison between him and a guy you admire, Trey Burke.

Trey Burke this season (per game):
Assists: 5.6
Rebounds: 3.0
Steals: 0.6
FG%: 37.1%
3FG%: 33.5%

Brandon Jennings 1st season:
Assists: 5.7
Rebounds: 3.4
Steals: 1.3
3FG%: 37.4%

Brandon Jennings this season:
Assists: 8.0
Rebounds: 3.3
Steals: 1.6
FG%: 38.0%
3FG%: 34.8%

Last season he shot 40% from the field, and 37.5% from 3-point range.. The problem is not with Jennings, but with the team that can't use him properly. Surround him with good shooters/players, and ask him to run the point, but not to jack up ridiculous shots, and you'll see that he's still a good player who can contribute.

Rondo also looks like an inefficient player when he doesn't have Pierce and Garnett around him (not saying Jennings is as good as Rondo by the way), but put the right players around him, and his talent will shine.

However, Jennings' problem doesn't lie in the numbers, it lies in his personality. He should stop thinking that he's better than he is actually, and realize what his points of strength are (and play to them) and what his points of weakness are (and avoid them). With the right team and the right coach, I think he can improve a lot, and help the team much more.

Josh Smith is beyond repair though.

Eboue

Jennings' problem is not in all what you said. His stats aren't really as bad you make it..

Let's make a quick comparison between him and a guy you admire, Trey Burke.

Trey Burke this season (per game):
Assists: 5.6
Rebounds: 3.0
Steals: 0.6
3FG%: 33.5%

Brandon Jennings 1st season:
Assists: 5.7
Rebounds: 3.4
Steals: 1.3
3FG%: 37.4%

Brandon Jennings this season:
Assists: 8.0
Rebounds: 3.3
Steals: 1.6
FG%: 38.0%
3FG%: 34.8%

Last season he shot 40% from the field, and 37.5% from 3-point range.. The problem is not with Jennings, but with the team that can't use him properly. Surround him with good shooters/players, and ask him to run the point, but not to jack up ridiculous shots, and you'll see that he's still a good player who can contribute.

Rondo also looks like an inefficient player when he doesn't have Pierce and Garnett around him (not saying Jennings is as good as Rondo by the way), but put the right players around him, and his talent will shine.

However, Jennings' problem doesn't lie in the numbers, it lies in his personality. He should stop thinking that he's better than he is actually, and realize what his points of strength are (and play to them) and what his points of weakness are (and avoid them). With the right team and the right coach, I think he can improve a lot, and help the team much more.

Josh Smith is beyond repair though.

Trey Burke is not having a good year at all. They are both among the worst point guards in the league. Difference is, 1) Trey Burke is a great teammate and Brandon Jennings is a cancer 2) Trey Burke is a rookie who has dealt with injuries on an awful team while Brandon Jennings is in his 5th year for two different teams with interesting pieces.

If Trey Burke is still shooting 37% in year 5, he shouldn't be starting in this league. If you give any decent point guard a team full of good shooters, they will contribute. Just look at Mario Chalmers. Fact is, Jennings can't finish at the rim, can't shoot threes, can't use his off hand, makes horrible decisions and has shown no signs of changing in five years. He fecking sucks.

Danny1982

Sectarian Hipster
By the way gooDevil, my mistake. Turner doesn't have a player option for 8 millions next year. Actually he's a restricted free agent with an 8 million qualifying offer. So Indiana can rid turner to sign Stephenson next year, however they can't sign both and stay below the luxury tax.

whatagoodname

Supports
Liverpool
Jennings is 7th in scoring among PGs, above Parker, Lowry and Teague.

Among the top 30 PGs in scoring, only one has a worse shooting % (Jennings 38% & Rubio 34%).

Jennings is tied for 10th in rebounding among PGs.

Jennings is 8th in made free-throws among PGs. But he's 24th in % among PGs.

Jennings is 6th in made 3s among PGs. But he's only making 34.8%.

Jennings is 6th in assists (overall and among PGs), but 17th among PGs in AST/TO ratio.

Jennings is 8th in steals among PGs, but also ranks 10th in TOs among PGs (10th highest TO per game rate).

At least he has the talent to make things happen, that gives him a chance at being a quality player, if he can become more efficient.

But yeah, horrific defense. Doesn't even have the decency to wave goodbye as his man goes past him.
I'm a pistons fan. he's infuriating. Watching Smoove and Jennings in the same team is just excruciating. I deserve better.

whatagoodname

Supports
Liverpool
By the way gooDevil, my mistake. Turner doesn't have a player option for 8 millions next year. Actually he's a restricted free agent with an 8 million qualifying offer. So Indiana can rid turner to sign Stephenson next year, however they can't sign both and stay below the luxury tax.
Am i the only one who thinks Evan turner is a distinctly average NBA player?