Nelson Semedo

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Hopefully the reports are true and he'll sign in the summer. Valencia is a beast for now but with his age we'll have to look at phasing him out soon, so someone like semedo can replace him perfectly with his pace and attacking ability while also not relying on him right away, and geadually bringing him in/valencia out. Plus with other big clubs like Bayern and Barca allegedly interested, its a good sign getting him (and lindelof). If shaw gets his shit together thats our back 4 sorted for the next while and hopefully they all develop well!

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
I'd like to hear something concrete before getting too excited, my friend from Uni is a fan of Benfica and he said he'd be furious if they let Semedo go. Not sure if he's just very biased but when I asked him how good he was he said he was a very good talent and that he's already really good and says he thinks he'll be up there with the best in a few years.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
Hopefully the reports are true and he'll sign in the summer. Valencia is a beast for now but with his age we'll have to look at phasing him out soon, so someone like semedo can replace him perfectly with his pace and attacking ability while also not relying on him right away, and geadually bringing him in/valencia out. Plus with other big clubs like Bayern and Barca allegedly interested, its a good sign getting him (and lindelof). If shaw gets his shit together thats our back 4 sorted for the next while and hopefully they all develop well!
Remember;

Rafael - Smalling - Jones - Fabio

Not saying it won't happen but it very rarely works out like that unfortunately.

Gianni

Benfica fan here. Although the Lindelof deal is being reported as practically done here in Portugal, it would come as a big surprise if Semedo also left the club in Jan. The fans would be devastated because of a relevant lack of options for RB.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Benfica fan here. Although the Lindelof deal is being reported as practically done here in Portugal, it would come as a big surprise if Semedo also left the club in Jan. The fans would be devastated because of a relevant lack of options for RB.
It sounds like this will be a deal for the summer though, a January move for Semedo doesn't seem necessary for us at the minute.

Red_toad

Val is probably good for another good 3 years plus. So we buy someone now to replace him in 3 years? Very fit bloke who looks after himself very well.
In my opinion you don't phase out probably your most consistent player, who is numerous years away from being a spent force. You'd think he was 35 the way you're going on.

bosnian_red

Remember;

Rafael - Smalling - Jones - Fabio

Not saying it won't happen but it very rarely works out like that unfortunately.
True. But if semedo and lindelof work out, bailly looks class already especially with Mourinhos ability to make any defence look good, I'm pretty confident. With all those above their problem and ultimate downfall was injuries (apart from smalling who fixed that part but lacked on the ball ability). For us, shaw is the only one with injury problems I think and generally would be more worried about him (provided these 2 prove to be good signings).

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Val is probably good for another good 3 years plus. So we buy someone now to replace him in 3 years? Very fit bloke who looks after himself very well.
In my opinion you don't phase out probably your most consistent player, who is numerous years away from being a spent force. You'd think he was 35 the way you're going on.
If we buy this guy you can bet that Mourinho has made the assessment that he wants more pace, technical flair and attacking threat out of the position. I'd say Valencia will gradually transition out of the position and into a back up role beginning next year.

Bwuk

Valencia has been one of our best players this year, and arguably the best right back in the league.

Think those thinking he will immediately dislodge Valencia may be mistaken.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Valencia is already not as quick as he once was and the pace is the first thing that seems to go when you're on the wrong side of 30's. He has enough experience to deal with it to an extent but I wouldn't expect him to still be on top of his game at 33-34

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Valencia is already not as quick as he once was and the pace is the first thing that seems to go when you're on the wrong side of 30's. He has enough experience to deal with it to an extent but I wouldn't expect him to still be on top of his game at 33-34
Agreed. The argument that he is playing well now and is one of our most consistent players may hold true in the present, but that could quickly unwind given that he will be 32 and rapidly approaching an age where his pace will decline. I'm sure Mourinho and staff are looking at it in those terms. No guarantees that his replacement will take over immediately. He may well take a year or so to gradually settle into the position with increasing sub appearances until Tony loses a step.

Z_Wolf

I know Valencia works like a machine and has been solid, but he doesn't offer enough to our attacking play. A club of our standard should have a full back capable of putting in good crosses. Valencia is excellent at driving the ball up the field but only to smash against whoever is in front of him.

NinjaFletch

I also think Valencia is unusually reliant on it for a defender (well it's not that unusual given that he started as a winger) and often relies on his acceleration and speed to bail him out of situations he gets himself into through bad positioning. Thats fine whilst he's got the pace, but I imagine it will lead to a dramatic drop off.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
The only reason to purchase a right back is if Mourinho and our scouts believe they have identified someone truly special. And Semedo actually looks quite special.

bosnian_red

Valencia has been one of our best players this year, and arguably the best right back in the league.

Of course he wont, valencia is class. But next season could be when they rotate with each other while semedo develops a bit and adapts to the premier league. Probably first half of the season we wont see him much and then he'll bed in more in the second half, and then the season after to potentially have a bigger role. We are a bit reliant on Valencia at the moment so it is an important signing to make.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
This makes sense and it is the kind of replacement signing Mourinho likes to make. Have Valencia and Semedo sharing game time next year and if Semedo is good enough, he'll start in the season after next.

Gentleman Jim

It's absolutely amazing! Perfect even.
Supports
city

Doubt many non-Reds would argue his superiority over Bellerin.

Gentleman Jim

Supports
city
To be fair there isn't really a great RB in the league.
You may well be right but Bellerin is the nearest we have and he has potential for further improvement unlike Valencia who surely has already peaked?

gza the genius

You may well be right but Bellerin is the nearest we have and he has potential for further improvement unlike Valencia who surely has already peaked?
Bellerin has been injured a lot of this season hasn't he? I do think he's better than Valencia if he's playing and in form but you can't really say he's been better this season if he hasn't played all that much.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
The only reason to purchase a right back is if Mourinho and our scouts believe they have identified someone truly special. And Semedo actually looks quite special.
why? Valencia is not getting younger and Darmian is crap

Gentleman Jim

Supports
city
Bellerin has been injured a lot of this season hasn't he? I do think he's better than Valencia if he's playing and in form but you can't really say he's been better this season if he hasn't played all that much.
???
Missed a month with an ankle injury that could have happened to anyone.
He's a better player than Valencia (no offence to him, he's just not as good as the other poster suggested) and as he's only 21 is likely to improve further.

ravi2

It sounds like this will be a deal for the summer though, a January move for Semedo doesn't seem necessary for us at the minute.
Yes it doesn't make sense unless someone's leaving.
I don't think we need semedo now anyways. Valencia, Bailey and darmian can hold down the RB for the rest of the season.
Jose is building an immense side that will be capable of challenging on multiple fronts next season.

IrishRedDevil

???
Missed a month with an ankle injury that could have happened to anyone.
He's a better player than Valencia (no offence to him, he's just not as good as the other poster suggested) and as he's only 21 is likely to improve further.
Better player based on what exactly? And the age comment is pointless, as we are comparing players in the here and now, not based on future potential.

Valencia has been one of Uniteds best players this season and he maintains a very high level throughout. I would say he never gives any less that a 7/10 performance. This season in particular he is proving beastly and his speed is proving very difficult for attackers to compete against. That strength and pace combo along with his improved defensive positioning (thanks to Jose?) has been great to watch. All that while bombing up and down the right flank.

A quick side by side Squawka comparison of the two players shows that Valencia has the better stats this season also (I don't normally use stats but thought I'd check as I've missed a few Arsenal games).

Bellerin is a very good player but to say he is better is a bit short sighted imo.

Reactions: Burrow

Rossa

Has Valencia really lost pace? Also,not all players lose their physicality after 30 like Rooney did. Valencia is a physical specimen. Also,he is not just about pace. His technique is sublime.

Considering the comparison with Bellerin, I've often seen Bellerin outpaced by the likes of Sterling and even Depay. I've yet to see that with Valencia. It seems to me that his defensive anticipation is better.

ti vu

If the plan is to buy him in the summer, why not do the ole buy but loan back to Benefica for the rest of the season
You don't usually pay for your pricey player to play for another club. What if Benfica overuses him between now and the end of the season and he's burnt out by next season. If he's still Benfica player and potential a big money transfer, Benfica would pay extra care with his condition. Not so much if a luxurious loanee.

Last edited:

OohAahMartial

Think Mourinho isn't planning for a 3 year contract but a 10 year dynasty. Imagine Semedo Bailly Lindalof Shaw as a stable back four for a decade.

OzKangarooney

You don't usually pay for your pricey player to play for another club. What if Benfica overuses him between now and the end of the season and he's burnt out by next season. If he's still Benfica player and potential a big money transfer, Benfica would pay extra care with his condition. Not so much if a luxurious loanee.
I don't think you can really wear a player out for the next season if he has no post season tournaments to play in, also if he is one of the best players for Benifica the rest of the season, and it's already known we are interested, they will only raise their price and attract more attention to him from other clubs

ti vu

I don't think you can really wear a player out for the next season if he has no post season tournaments to play in, also if he is one of the best players for Benifica the rest of the season, and it's already known we are interested, they will only raise their price and attract more attention to him from other clubs
It works both way. The player may show the flaw in his game with the more games he plays, or worse get injured. So it's a gamble for Benfica too. It's worse gamble for the buying club if they pay pricey and loan him back. That's what I see why these big back loan back transfer is not too common.

Players at this level can drastically regress with being mismanaged so there is a risk.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
Looks suspiciously brilliant. If I was a youtube scout, I'd have signed him already. Never seen him live, so have to suspect that there's something inherently wrong. Like he can't defend, or he's afraid of the dark or something.

OzKangarooney

It works both way. The player may show the flaw in his game with the more games he plays, or worse get injured. So it's a gamble for Benfica too..
Yeah actually just having a look to see how many games he has actually played for Benifica, him being 23 i thought he would probably have been more involved over the last season or two but turns out he has only played 27 games for their first team so there is definately a higher chance of finding flaws in his game than what i would have thought if he had played a full season in 15/16 (12 games played, 15 so far this season - according to wiki)

bosnian_red

Semedo is a keyplayer for Benfica anyway this season so it won't really change how they play him