Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I'm struggling to understand why people still think this guy is currently better than Pereira or Garner. How can a player who is ball watching better than players who at least wants to follow their man? To me the impact Matic has in the team will be equally as bad as Pereira has been for us in the last 2 games. He will not make any difference but slowing us down, the last time we saw both Matic & Fred played together was when we lost 4-0 against Everton, midfield was bullied.

We lost McTominay, a player who can actually win the ball, play quick press & quick pass to his attackers for counter. Neither players have the ability to do those tasks.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Incredibly cool that he has barely seen any minutes at all, even through our injury crisis. I guess him giving Ole an ultimatum or whatever he did hasn't worked out. Hard to blame Ole either way as this guy probably would have been horrible if played. Better to give the game time to some youngsters this season than to waste it on him for just maybe a slightly better position higher up the table.

Is Matic actually injured or just been taken out of the first team squad by OGS? Can’t see him going to spurs, but surely a jan exit is very likely?

unplayable

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Our squad is paper thin, especially in CM. We can't let him leave in January.

I fully expect that to his last game for us before he moves to a slower league. His 10 yard pass out for a throw sums it all up.

keener

I"ve been begging to see the last of Matic for 6 months. Glad he's finally on the outside of our 11 looking in. Other than a nice touch for a big man, he offers nothing. Imagine if Fellaini had his touch...

He should leave in January.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
Once we sored and got on top he hit 2 or 3 nice passes, but overall he was a liability.
Yep, certainly showed his lack of athleticism, but to be fair some of his passing was good (some obviously not), but realistically I think a move in January would suit all parties.

Devil may care

Yep, certainly showed his lack of athleticism, but to be fair some of his passing was good (some obviously not), but realistically I think a move in January would suit all parties.
I'd definitely move him on in January if we can get a CM in, which means he'll almost certainly be here until the end of the season.

roseguy64

Has to go in January.
Only if we can actually get a CM in. Garner isn't ready to take his place in the squad and Pereira has shown he's not a CM. That leaves us with just Pogba, Fred and McTominay. Not enough to last and it showed when we had Fred and Pereira as a CM pairing after a couple injuries.

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
He did fine the other night. He's still, despite the hyperbolic ravings of some of ye, a much better option than Garner. We'd be mental to let him go without having a replacement lined up.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
He did fine the other night. He's still, despite the hyperbolic ravings of some of ye, a much better option than Garner. We'd be mental to let him go without having a replacement lined up.
But he isn't. This desperation to paint him as someone who can still be an asset needs to stop. It isn't just the cafe that think he's shot, I remember seeing an article written after the Alkmaar game about how crap he was.

He repeatedly dawdled on the ball, gave it away, slowed our attacks to a halt, and was terrible defensively. When the game was dead and buried and he dropped deeper he did alright. Nothing more. Garner hasn't pulled up any trees during his limited senior games but he isn't a complete liability any time the ball is close to him.

Last edited:

Oldyella

But he isn't. This desperation to paint him as someone who can still be an asset needs to stop. It isn't just the cafe that think he's shot, I remember seeing an article written after the Alkmaar game about how crap he was.

He repeatedly dawdled on the ball, gave it away, slowed our attacks to a halt, and was terrible defensively. When the game was dead and buried and he dropped deeper he did alright. Nothing more. Garner hasn't pulled up any trees during his limited senior games but he isn't a complete liability any time the ball is close to him.
Garner hasn't been great, but at least he has room to improve. Matic is only going to go one way, and given how bad he is right now, what's the point in keeping him of someone is interested.

Still ill

We have the thinnest squad in the premier league. We hardly have a senior professional left. If we have a replacement, great. If we don't, he shouldn't be sold.

ivaldo

We have the thinnest squad in the premier league. We hardly have a senior professional left. If we have a replacement, great. If we don't, he shouldn't be sold.
Our squad is wafer thin. That doesn't make Matic any better than any number of youngsters. No amount of experience will make up for his utter lack of mobility. Every single time he plays for us, without question, opposition players will have a field day playing in the space behind him.

M Bison

Supports
York City
Our squad is wafer thin. That doesn't make Matic any better than any number of youngsters. No amount of experience will make up for his utter lack of mobility. Every single time he plays for us, without question, opposition players will have a field day playing in the space behind him.
That’s exactly how I feel. Would we really be that worse off by playing one of the youngsters instead of Matic? For me we wouldn’t so we’ve nothing to lose.

R'hllor

We should get rid of him regardless of us getting replacement or not and he isnt the only one in the same category.

Johan07

Garner hasn't been great, but at least he has room to improve. Matic is only going to go one way, and given how bad he is right now, what's the point in keeping him of someone is interested.
I had hoped that Garner would take a step this year. The opportunities have been there for him due to the injuries we have had. He has not grasped those opportunities though. He needs to go out on loan next season or in January even.
Gomes and Chong has not stepped up either even if they play in different positions. Also need to go on loans or not even be resigned (Gomes).
We are looking at having to procure 2 world class midfielders this summer, 3 if Pogba leaves. It will be a tall order that and not a sign of great planning.

Still ill

Well grand, I just feel that's too much weight on the shoulders of Garner. A couple of injuries, Garner plays because he has to, he has a couple of poor games, people are on his back, his confidence is knocked.....that's not how young players should be introduced. We need a squad.

ivaldo

Well grand, I just feel that's too much weight on the shoulders of Garner. A couple of injuries, Garner plays because he has to, he has a couple of poor games, people are on his back, his confidence is knocked.....that's not how young players should be introduced. We need a squad.
And what effect would having Matic in that team for those games have on the rest of the squad? Having a midfielder who is physically shot, a defensive liability, slowing down our attacks every time he receives the ball. I would genuinely prefer to see one of our centre backs given time there over him. His complete and utter lack of mobility should not be understated here. Besides, with Pogba returning we would be in no worse situation as we have been for the last 4 months if he went without a replacement.

Camilo

Tremendous today. Like a real professional midfielder. Fancy that.

el3mel

Pretty decent game. Think we have been treating him very harshly tbh. Sure he's past his peak and not suited for every game but still a good option to have on the bench for various games in the season.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Very Solid performance from him. Perfect game for him, imposed himself and protected the ball well, as well as moving it on smartly.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
He played like he does when he's in top form. Unfortunately he doesn't do that often anymore

KeanoMagicHat

United much better defensively when he plays. If he's fit, he should play a few more games, he will have his worth in away games like these. He won't be the solution to the midfield, but he is useful.

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
Played really well, fair play to him. I think that opposition suits him though, slow and lumbering. But you can only play what you’re up against and he did well.

DRM

Don't shoot me but I think he's better than Mctominay. Matic is very composed on the ball, rarely losses possession and is a decent passer. I feel Mctom is too rash sometimes, matic is a better partner to Fred.

Status
Not open for further replies.