Nemanja Matic| BBC says deal agreed

Status
Not open for further replies.

LoneStar

This holier than thou approach when it comes to Mourino is starting to really fecking grate. No, we don't know what he's thinking. No we don't know more than him when it comes to players and tactics. This doesn't mean we cannot disagree with his choices on players and give an opinion that is different to his. He has been wrong before. It was not long ago he was desperate to spend big on a certain Wayne Rooney. An aging player in physical decline with his best years firmly behind him. Sound familiar?

You go on to give your opinion as to why you think Matic is being brought in and how he might be played, yet you have no idea what Mourinho is thinking remember.
You are still allowed to express your opinions on the matter, as are posters questioning whether Matic is the right player for us.
I'm all for bringing players the manager wants. Even at a slightly higher price. According to you, we should buy a player, who won't even be a starter, for £50m. Yeah that sounds great. £50m for a 28 year old Matic is just insane money. Unlike other people, I rate Matic, but we should not be paying anywhere close to £50m for him. I would be okay with 30/35m, but nothing more than that.

You realise that if we pay crazy money like that, every single club we'll deal with in the future will ask for proportionately crazy money right ?

If it's only between Dier and Matic for £50m , I'd pick Dier all day. He's young, has room to improve and can play multiple positions.

nazanto

If we're going a sign a 29 years old midfielder, I would expect that guy is one of best midfielder in the world, the linchpin of a very very good team and basically will slot onto any team in the world without anyone batting an eye. And that's without talking about the price.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
I don't question his ability or what he can bring to the squad. My biggest worry is his attitude, and his more recent history with José.

I'm sure if he is willing to join us then he must willing to put the past behind him and maybe a new challenge will help him.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Because it's complete bullshit. Morata was our "only option" for a striker before we signed Lukaku.
Then why does he complain that we don't sign players but on the other hand are not linked with any other midfielder? I understand why Chelsea or Spurs don't want to sell to a potential rival

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He will be a great platform to allow Pogba to play from plus in Europe or big games a midfield 3 of Pogba Herrera and Matic is more than capable. Would be a very good signing.

notcool

Supports
a
He's 29 this summer which means he's 30 next summer, 31 the summer after and 35 6 (SIX) summers from now. We might as well just stay with Carrick.

kirk buttercup

Age talk again ffs :lol:
I know I can't believe we are signing a 63 year old for 1 billion Dollars. But seriously rewind a year and we would be bitting chelsea's arm off to get him . I like Matic in a Jose System I don't like matic so much in a Conte System, so lucky for us Jose Manages United.

Reactions: KM

BringNaniBack

Leaves a bullshit trail behind him
Certainly wont be the most inspiring signing but Matic could definitely do a good job sitting behind Pogba and Herrera. No way should we be paying any more then 35m for him though, even in today's market.

Summit

"do the dead, spread your seed and get out"
From last season. Granted youtube vids make everyone look good, but if this was a player we were linked with that we didn't know much about I think people would have a much different opinion.

Gatti33

Why we can't move on seems to be one of the biggest mysteries of Jose. He seems to be stuck with his 2 targets hence the delay. But that doesn't stop him from saying publicly that our transfer activities have been low
Both targets are from Jose's ex clubs and IMO this has everything to do with his pride and getting one over them by all means possible. This stubbornness has been his down fall in the past and might once again be the same here at United. I'm all for the club backing the manager but Ed has every right to end the madness and say pick other players. £50m for matic is just as laughable as inter wanting money plus martial for perisic. Those clubs full well know about mourinho's stubbornness and are using it against us.

barmyarmy

Everyone knows how Jose's last season at chelsea ended even after that if he still wants Matic then there must be something which we all don't know.

AshRK

It seems jose is hell bent on winning the league the coming season. His preference for players playing in premier league shows that and that is why maybe he is not too keen on fabinho. Whatever we say about matic, the guy is proven in premier league and jas experience of doing it in big games. I wont be too sad if he comes.

R'hllor

Why dont you want him?
To many lunatics here on CAF, people calling him Shatic and such. If things go south regardless is it because of Matic or not, this place will turn in such a poison, not sure i would be able to tolerate it for long before reacting to it.

When it comes to football part. I think he is worse option in 4-2-3-1 then in proper 4-3-3.

Mihai

Both targets are from Jose's ex clubs and IMO this has everything to do with his pride and getting one over them by all means possible. This stubbornness has been his down fall in the past and might once again be the same here at United. I'm all for the club backing the manager but Ed has every right to end the madness and say pick other players. £50m for matic is just as laughable as inter wanting money plus martial for perisic. Those clubs full well know about mourinho's stubbornness and are using it against us.
Care to bring in some examples?

Mihai

To many lunatics here on CAF, people calling him Shatic and such. If things go south regardless is it because of Matic or not, this place will turn in such a poison, not sure i would be able to tolerate it for long before reacting to it.

I think he is worse option in 4-2-3-1 then in proper 4-3-3.
He was a key player in 4231 at Chelsea and he will be even more effective in a midfield of 3 with Herrera and Pogba.

Android1974

Incredibly anal about player positions in lineups
Looking forward for this long legged spider imposing in our midfield.

izec

When it comes to football part. I think he is worse option in 4-2-3-1 then in proper 4-3-3.
Shatic? :D

Never read that here.

Peanut Butter

There's some proper whining little fannies in the transfer forum. Having an opinion that differs to the manager is fine, but unfortunately too many people state their opinion as fact and then cry like sulking children because Jose isn't buying the shiny toy they want.
This.

Too many fans who think they're scouting/transfer market experts on here and Twitter Utd fans who spout the same nonsense.

Every summer there is the player that hardly anyone has watched for any period of time and yet he is 'must have.' This year it's Fabinho.

People lose their heads over transfers - it's laughable and it's why we get labelled as spoilt, whingy kids by the fans of smaller clubs.

Matic is coming - suck it up.

iluvoursolskjær

Searching for life's white text in London
I do rate Matic, but he's a fairly limited player whos lacked consistency over the past few years. 50Mill is just absolutely mental, you want a bit more than someone suitable for specific circumstances at soon-to-be 29 years old. Would rather look within our own ranks than that, which then begs the question. . .

Why the feck is Mou so fixated on this? Yeah we're looking in from the outside, but you don't need to be an itk to see that surely, feck in surely, there's different - if not better options out there as an overall package all things considered (attributes, expected contribution, age, future trajectory at club, price etc)???

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
I hope we at least add a young dm to learn from him

R'hllor

Shatic? :D

Never read that here.
Yea think it was something like. Maybe it got removed because i tried to make a parody and be funny, so went to Fabinho thread and called him Shitinho or something, after some time i got warning from the mods.

R'hllor

He was a key player in 4231 at Chelsea and he will be even more effective in a midfield of 3 with Herrera and Pogba.
He looked great in 2nd half of the season when he rejoined Chelsea and then kept going strong in first part of next season ( under JM ), then they lost vs Tottenham and JM made a switch in formation, went 4-2-3-1, started running players into the ground to secure title, with that poor pre season after, Matic dropped completely and think he never recovered.

Mihai

He looked great in 2nd half of the season when he rejoined Chelsea and then kept going strong in first part of next season ( under JM ), then they lost vs Tottenham and JM made a switch in formation, went 4-2-3-1, started running players into the ground to secure title, with that poor pre season after, Matic dropped completely and think he never recovered.
I think the change in formation didn't help either. Chelsea are playing with 2 b2b in the 343 formation. They need different qualities than Matic.

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
It's clear that Inter don't want to sell unless we give them ridiculous amounts of money. How many times can they make that clear? We've been negotiating as you would, but it's not working as they are not budging. To keep going back like this in my eyes is humiliating - they are saying , pay our fecking price or feck off.
If you don't like my description then fair enough. But don't give me shit for it, that's the way I personally see it.
Maybe we are looking at other players or close to a deal?

Tiber

If we pay 50m for a 28 year old Matic we really have lost the plot

Brophs

The One and Only
Matic makes perfect sense in a lot of ways. He's good defensively, he passes the ball pretty well, he's a big strong lad, which is important under this manager and he's willing to follow Mourinho's tactical plan, which he probably knows inside and out. In theory, he'll give us a few years breathing room in that position. It's one less unknown for Mourinho to deal with.

Personally I think there are better players out there, but they may not even want to join us. He's certainly more than good enough to improve what we have at the moment.
I said this a while ago and I'd add one other thing to it. I don't think the window has gone how Mourinho would have wanted a few months ago, so while it might be true that he has a preference for Dier, buying Matic is the safe - and achievable - play. Buying him basically reduces one variable that Mourinho could be facing this season. He knows exactly what he can get from him, so if he does maybe have to sign a second or third choice in other positions, he can take a bit more of a risk there, knowing he has a solid base in midfield. It doesn't matter to me personally, but for the club the fee looks very heavy, given there's essentially no resale value. But if he gives Mourinho a solid 2-3 years and helps the team be succesful, I reckon we'd take that now.

barmyarmy

Every Manager has a certain style of playing or setting up a team to win titles. Matic fits the bill as Jose no.6 & could turn out to be a very important signing. As for overpaying is concerned if we can win the title this season or make Semis in CL then our marketing value can get bigger and we can attract more investors so overpaying for immediate success isn't a bad option as later once we start to win titles we can restrict our spending which entirely possible with all the scouts we have signed in last couple of years.

Mihai

I don't question his ability or what he can bring to the squad. My biggest worry is his attitude, and his more recent history with José.

I'm sure if he is willing to join us then he must willing to put the past behind him and maybe a new challenge will help him.
Jose won't bring a player that doesn't have the right attitude. Especially, one whom he worked with previously.

I am pretty sure they spoke about it and it's all in the past.

Status
Not open for further replies.