Nemanja Matic| BBC says deal agreed

Status
Not open for further replies.

TrueRed79

I will be very happy with Matic. The only thing i would add is, that i hope we sign another younger DM to keep him and Carrick on their toes throughout the season.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
You're examples are totally different circumstances.

Why would they want to sell Matic?
Doesn't Suit Conte's system as well as Mourinho's?

Who knows. Good signing as far as I'm concerned.

AndyJ1985

My Chelsea supporting mate has been slating him since he was signed, so I am not sure whether he is the right choice for our midfield. Would rather see Dendoncker or Fabinho, but still, Jose knows the best.
Looks like this is done, have to say i fancied dendoncker but this will make a for a good midfield, if only for a couple years
Ah, suddenly Dendoncker, a player no one has mentioned all summer, is now the right man for us.

prtk0811

But thats the whole point, he hasnt had these type of monster contributions for a good couple of seasons now.
It would be the equivalent of Everton fans playing older Rooney video's to convince themself what he could offer now.
Anyway, I hope he still can be useful as a sitting DM with Pogba & Herrera doing the running for him. Sounds promising anyway.
He'll play in mid 3

Gopher Brown

My Chelsea supporting mate has been slating him since he was signed, so I am not sure whether he is the right choice for our midfield. Would rather see Dendoncker or Fabinho, but still, Jose knows the best.
What does he say about him?

prtk0811

Fully behind this signing. Jose will know how to get the best out of him.

If the Fellaini departure rumours are true, I'd like for us to get Dendoncker too. But a winger is a bigger priority.
I think there is nothing to fellani story. A ploy by his agent to get him an extension at United.

el3mel

First I think Fabinho isn't really for sale this summer and it's clear Monaco has closed the door from what they are doing with Arsenal trying to sign Lemar. Dier is dead and won't happen so Matic is the best option available.

Overall he's not my best choice for the position but at the same, he's experienced and will perform instantly without waiting to adapt. His movement is gone long ago but Herrera will cover this well. He's an upgrade on Carrick definitely and I think he'll balance our midfield well.

He's only a stop gap, though so we'll be again for a DMF next summer. Hopefully Fabinho will be more open to a transfer at next summer when Monaco gets a replacement for him. At the main time Matic seems the most reasonable available option, experienced, EPL proven, winner proven, knows Jose quite well. He should perform the first second he puts his leg on the pitch with our shirt.

At least we'll now be able to concentrate on the fourth signing.

Litch

Solid proven PL quality signing. Onto the fourth one hopefully

el3mel

Surprised to find out he's only ever missed 3 games due to injury.
Watch him breaking this record here. Zlatan has only missed 46 games due to injury in hia career then came here and had his ACL got torn. :lol:

PoTMS

He's been poor for a couple of seasons now but at this point, I'll take anything. Hopefully, Mourinho can reinvigorate his form but I wouldn't count on it. I still don't understand why we were not in for Fabinho instead who is younger, more versatile and a better player. The only thing Matic has on him is being PL proven but if we were to go with that logic, why did we not get Keane ahead of Lindelof?

Canagel

I want to see us scoring more from corners next season. There are no excuses now. We have Pogba, Smalling, Fellaini, Lindelof, Lukaku, and soon Matic as well. Even Zlatan when he returns as well. Last season they were awful.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
Will be an excellent signing. Defensively good as well as being quite good on the ball.

Varun

Staff
Your mate is a tad clueless I'm afraid. Matic has been fantastic for Chelsea. The concerns some here have is more about whether he's on the decline, give anyone the Matic of this Chelsea stint for the next few years and they'll bite your hands off.

AndyJ1985

I want to see us scoring more from corners next season. There are no excuses now. We have Pogba, Smalling, Fellaini, Lindelof, Lukaku, and soon Matic as well. Last season they were awful.
First we'd need to find a player who can actually take a decent corner.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Your mate is a tad clueless I'm afraid. Matic has been fantastic for Chelsea. The concerns some here have is more about whether he's on the decline, give anyone the Matic of this Chelsea stint for the next few years and they'll bite your hands off.
Agree

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
Matic is better than Fabinho and proven in a better league. Don't get the obsession with Fabinho at all.

Infestissumam

Di Marzio is a Sky Italia journalist. Nothing wrong here tbh.
ah, cheers. Always thought he just runs his own website, didn't know he works for Sky too.

Anyways, good to see that there's movement. It's obvious Mourinho rates Matic, so the quicker they get the deal over the line, the better. Hope he can provide the necessary cover behind/next to Pogba and Herrera.

RonaldoVII

Regardless of the fact he's about to turn 29, we need someone in that position and he should give us at least a good few years and less pressure to find someone for the long term in the next couple of windows.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
How is Matic a Chelsea cast off? He's been a prominent starter for them ever since he joined.
Except that he's due to be replaced by bakayoko.

I'm all for giving Matic a chance but this just doesn't excite me. Hope he can regain his form of 2 years ago or this will look like a huge mistake.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
He has been on the decline @Varun

Still a declining Matic is still way better than Fellaini but think people will be disappointed by him. He had a very good season for Chelsea when Jose resigned him and then two average ones.

van der star

newprawn warrior
Scout
Chelsea lack of resistance towards this deal seems a tad concerning. I hope Matic doesn't get a case of the BFSs here.

Canagel

First we'd need to find a player who can actually take a decent corner.
I heard Perisic has a good cross on him but that deal is looking unlikely at the moment. Actually I think our business might end with Matic but we'll wait and see.

Duafc

Village Lemon
Proven quality.

Not going to set the world on fire but I hope we'll all be pleasantly surprised. I have the say I'm pleased with our approach to actually solving problems in our team and not just going for big names and 'stars'.

I myself would have preferred Fabinho or Dendoncker as I always love to see youth in a United side but they would bring a risk. Just happy we're getting an out and out DM, sorely needed!

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Except that he's due to be replaced by bakayoko.

I'm all for giving Matic a chance but this just doesn't excite me. Hope he can regain his form of 2 years ago or this will look like a huge mistake.
No one really knows how much his place will be reduced by Bakayoko's arrival tbh. They needed more bodies because of more competitions and Bakayoko is uninspiring himself. The notion of replacing Matic with Bakayoko is quite bizzare.

As for form, I genuinely didn't find him a poor performer last season. He was standout in season 1, poor in 2 (as was the entire squad) and decent enough in season 3. We need a player like him to compliment Herrera and give Pogba the freedom to venture forward more often. Bakayoko is a player who lacks the same defensive discipline and I think Chelsea would have made an error in that regard.

Kag

He's the least exciting signing we've made in a long time (not that I care), but probably a very sensible one, too.

If he can sit behind Pogba and Herrera and break up play then we're more or less sorted.

van der star

newprawn warrior
Scout
Wait, doesn't this deal leave Chelsea with only Kante, Fabregas and Bakayoko as their midfield options?! This deal seems even stranger considering they're willing to part with him and rotate 3 players for the 2 CM spots.

PoTMS

Spoken like a man who hasn't watched him for the last couple of seasons, whereas Chelsea fans have.

Status
Not open for further replies.