Nemanja Vidić Exclusive: How I Signed For Man Utd

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Aah they finally got him on? I'll check it out later

RoyKeaneReborn

I still remember the day when he and Patrice were unveiled together. Good times. 2 legends.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
One of the greatest I’ve seen. Loved him so much my email Id was named after him for the longest time :lol:

Blackbeard

Supports
Bristol City
It always seemed that he was the brawn to Rios brains but it worked both ways.

ScholesyTheWise

They fit so well together also as people- going off this panel- that the 2 interviewers seem rather redundant.

I wonder how many of today's players stay at their training grounds and keep training after the formal session is over- to an almost obsessive level- like these guys did.

You'd think that there are far fewer players like that now.

Dazzmondo

Has somehow become incredibly underrated including by the actual hosts of Vibe with Five. I'll always take Vida over Rio, don't care (love both obviously).

ExoduS

Exceptional player. Great defender and great captain. That tackle on Messi is so legendary but too bad we lost the game. Had we won it, it would have been an iconic play.

To this day I don't understand how he couldn't adapt to Italian league. Maybe he was just physically done at that point.

criticalanalysis

People say one man defence but I truly believed he deserved that accolade at times during his Utd career.

Sublime defender and yes one I 'rated' over Rio due to his actual impact and influence.

kidbob

I wish for the days again when we can make this sort of signing. Obviously harder in modern days but we seemed to be quite good at finding 'cheaper' options who could flourish. Boy did he flourish! Absolutely incredible defender in basically every facet, quite quick from what I remember, a decent footballer and an absolute savage in attacking set pieces. A real proper hardman too. I remember loving how he didn't playact when Drogba slapped him in the CL final, even though his reaction may have helped Drogba stay on the pitch in the days before VAR. His and Ferdinand's relationship reminded me of the centre half version of Yorke and Cole for me. 2 different personalities who seemed to get on great off the pitch and whose games complimented each other perfectly on the pitch.

Red Rash

Rio and Vidic is the best CB partnership in PL history. No one can convince me otherwise

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
Terry and Carvalho were great but Rio and Vida are well ahead. I’d say there’s a big distance between those pairings.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Interestingly I saw our favourite current United defender picked him as one of his top 6 United players. Was the only defender in there.

Number 1 Liam Miller
Number 2 Djemba Djemba
Number 3 Dion Dublin
Number 4 Poborksy
Number 5 Tiaibi
Number 6 damn I’d better name someone good..hmmm.. defender… hmmm… Vidic!

Josh 76

And Edwin in goal. Went 14 games in a row without conceding. Inconceivable nowadays.
I remember the game we conceded. It was against Blackburn. We won the game, but I was deflated about letting a goal in.

The standards were set so high in them days. I’m just so glad I lived my “only football matters” days through that era!

Hound Dog

Supports
Whoever I bet on
I always rated him a class below Ferdinand but his abysmal national team career could be clouding my judgement.

ExoduS

I always rated him a class below Ferdinand but his abysmal national team career could be clouding my judgement.
Well... Few unlucky penalties. Few he missed and few he caused. He was a part of top defense during 2006 campaign in which Serbia (and Montenegro) had the best defense (only 1 goal conceded during qualifying). Then he got hurt and missed the World Cup and Serbia conceded 10 goals in 3 games. 6 from Argentina alone :/
While his overall grade might be B- at national team, he had plenty of A+ games.

Should have done better in 2010 World Cup.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
I remember the game we conceded. It was against Blackburn. We won the game, but I was deflated about letting a goal in.

The standards were set so high in them days. I’m just so glad I lived my “only football matters” days through that era!
It’s because PIG started and not Edwin. Late Ronaldo freekick still won it - I was also there.

Licha-Vidic

Last Man Standing 2 finalist 2023/24
Exceptional player. Great defender and great captain. That tackle on Messi is so legendary but too bad we lost the game. Had we won it, it would have been an iconic play.

To this day I don't understand how he couldn't adapt to Italian league. Maybe he was just physically done at that point.
Do you remember his header against Drogba in Moscow final, minute 55. That to me was Vidic at his absolute peak. That was a free header for Drogba.

He neutralized Drogba in that final, till Drogba had to slap our him.

fanutd

Absolute legend! Felt like his departure from the club was under really difficult circumstances and at the time felt like him abandoning the ship mid season but it doesn't take away from what a player he was for our team.

SER19

What a player. So tough in the tackle and up for a battle that people forget he was very quick and also good on the ball. A brilliant defender

Ghostrider318

I wish for the days again when we can make this sort of signing. Obviously harder in modern days but we seemed to be quite good at finding 'cheaper' options who could flourish. Boy did he flourish! Absolutely incredible defender in basically every facet, quite quick from what I remember, a decent footballer and an absolute savage in attacking set pieces. A real proper hardman too. I remember loving how he didn't playact when Drogba slapped him in the CL final, even though his reaction may have helped Drogba stay on the pitch in the days before VAR. His and Ferdinand's relationship reminded me of the centre half version of Yorke and Cole for me. 2 different personalities who seemed to get on great off the pitch and whose games complimented each other perfectly on the pitch.
Such deals are still out there but requires a competent and functioning backroom staff. According to reports we scouted the likes of Ceicedo and Enzo but dint move forward . Less than 2 seasons later both are ( were ) hot transfer targets