Television Netflix is getting stupid password sharing guidelines

Sylar

Also more choices in theory, should be better for the consumer.
However the problem is exclusivity, meaning if you like quite a few things, you need to purchase the different platforms to see something you like.

It's like how they tried to promote that different broadcasters having the prem / cl matches is great for the fan. Until you break it down and realise you gotta pay extra for BT, sky, maybe Amazon and even then you still don't get every game.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
What does the cost of living crisis have to do with it?

Netflix and any other streaming platform are not essential things, lets call it what it is, it's stealing, just because something was allowed in the past does been it's allowed forever
Because it’s a reason people want to share accounts? It’s not rocket science. And it’s not pathetic.

Dunno what you’re on about with stealing? It’s literally been allowed and now it’s not possible, unless you’re planning on fiddling IP addresses. No stealing has occurred.

But considering this industry consistently ups costs while consistently making those involved extremely rich, I’d suggest any form of ‘stealing’ here isn’t the crime of the century.

GuyfromAustria

Just two streaming platforms takes you well in to the hundreds per year. This is on top of any sports we get ripped off for compared to other countries. You're looking at a grand a year for two platforms + most football games legitimately - not even all. So 'ludicrously cheap' quickly becomes pretty expensive, and that's before even looking at any other subscriptions.

They also promoted account sharing, which was no doubt their plan to build the userbase before doing this.

Not to mention pirating is better than ever with IPTV, Plex etc. The rise of value in legit streaming meant pirating was less prevalent but it's only going to drive people back to it with value getting worse and worse, because like everything and moreso than ever these days, the customer gets squeezed.

All this amidst a cost of living crisis makes your comment quite pathetic in itself. It's very obvious why people would share accounts.
You're not completely wrong of course, I understand all of that. An "unpopular opinion" has to be worded a bid confrontational. :D
But I've probably been spending a thousand bucks a year on DVDs and Blurays 10-15 years ago (with a much lower income than today), so I genuinly think we're spoiled cost-wise nowadays. A month of Netflix is cheaper than 2 beers on a night out and I won't even begin to compare it with some other costs of living.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
It used to be cheap when Netflix first started streaming, at launch it cost £5.99 and was the only one doing it.

Now I’m paying £15.99 for Netflix, and on top of that there’s Amazon Prime, Disney, Apple TV, and I’m probably forgetting more.

Where the hell does it cost $3?
It's like 13 per month for 4 user here in Indonesia.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
What new movies have come to Netflix recently? I'm at a point where they don't register on my radar because they never used to put anything decent on there. I wonder if I'm missing out...

Last edited:

lilcurt

What new movies have come to Netflix recently? I'm at a point where they don't register on my radar because they never used to put anything decent on there and I wonder if I'm missing out.
Cant think of any good originals recently. Obviously they have just released the Potterverse which is a big deal for many I guess...

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
It’s not meant to be for 4 users though, it’s for one household that’s the whole debate.
What's the difference? To my knowledge as long as you're within the fair usage policy it's all good.

I had netflix on my 2 PC (work and home) and 2-3 gadgets.

It's not like my account is shared with my mates in 5 different locations. Which is the thing that Netflix are trying to combat.

Oh and FUBAR is quite good, it got Arnold and Monica Barbaro

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
What's the difference? To my knowledge as long as you're within the fair usage policy it's all good.

I had netflix on my 2 PC (work and home) and 2-3 gadgets.

It's not like my account is shared with my mates in 5 different locations. Which is the thing that Netflix are trying to combat.

Oh and FUBAR is quite good, it got Arnold and Monica Barbaro
There’s no device restriction so it sounds like you’re a single user paying $13 per month just for yourself?

A lot of people who share split the cost so it’s $13 (or £16 or whatever) split between 3 or 4 friends but because they don’t live together it’s now being restricted.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
There’s no device restriction so it sounds like you’re a single user paying $13 per month just for yourself?

A lot of people who share split the cost so it’s $13 (or £16 or whatever) split between 3 or 4 friends but because they don’t live together it’s now being restricted.
It's a family package of 13 usd equivalent for 4 family member. Each with similar 3-4 gadgets of their own. I think each family member is counted as 1 user with no restriction on having to be on the same premises.

I could have been cheap and split my email to friends of mine but that's what this is all about. The family package is intended, sharing them to another 10 person more is not.

And it's cheaper in Indonesia. Netflix didnt use a standard 15 dollar everywhere i think.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
It's a family package of 13 usd equivalent for 4 family member. Each with similar 3-4 gadgets of their own. I think each family member is counted as 1 user with no restriction on having to be on the same premises.

And it's cheaper in Indonesia. Netflix didnt use a standard 15 dollar everywhere i think.
I think you may find you’re mistaken, this is the whole issue, the multiple profiles are meant to be for use within a single household.

It would be highly surprising if that was different in one single country when they’re making such a big deal about stopping it everywhere else.

Big Andy

Bloke
How does it work? Anyone know? My kids have it on a tablet at their mums (no doubt she’s got the password as well the scavving bitch). Will it just stop working on their tablet or will they just keep using it and I’ll get charged?
Ha, she had. Kids said that she asked them why if blocked Netflix access as it was “for the kids”. Told her to swivel, pay for it yourself then, you cnut.

This is the best thing Netflix has ever done. The kids can still watch it on their tablets as long as it connects to the home wifi once every so often

Yep, hence them and other platforms introducing advertising

I work in that field so obviously for my job sake, the more that happens the better for me.
But looking at it on the outside, they want profit by any means. Of course they are a business so I won't argue against that.
However there will be a point people think fck it.
They test all this stuff out in markets that don't matter before they roll it out to everybody. They will know where the limit is.

Bobade

This is a non story really, surely. It affects a lot of people, but they're only doing something they should never have been able to do in the first place. Yes, it's annoying (and does affect me also) , but essentially you've been able give someone free access to something they should have been paying for for potentially years. It was never sustainable once new subscriptions started to slow.

On the streaming model in general, I still think it's comparatively cheap. You can subscribe to a few for less than getting Sky, for example.

Withnail

Silly twats, I think this will end up biting them in the ass. I reckon they'll end up losing subscriptions rather than gaining them.

It's like the piracy thing. We're losing billions. No mate, there's no chance I'd have spent a few grand I didn't have on all those movies and albums :houllier:

Sylar

They test all this stuff out in markets that don't matter before they roll it out to everybody. They will know where the limit is.
Well different markets react differently, you hardly see one size fits all for things like this when changes are made.

This is a non story really, surely. It affects a lot of people, but they're only doing something they should never have been able to do in the first place. Yes, it's annoying (and does affect me also) , but essentially you've been able give someone free access to something they should have been paying for for potentially years. It was never sustainable once new subscriptions started to slow.

On the streaming model in general, I still think it's comparatively cheap. You can subscribe to a few for less than getting Sky, for example.
Well, the bolded is incorrect.
It's a change, of course they have every right to implement it, but it's not a case of this should only have ever been for one household, people found a way around it and now they're cracking down on it

Bobade

Well different markets react differently, you hardly see one size fits all for things like this when changes are made.

Well, the bolded is incorrect.
It's a change, of course they have every right to implement it, but it's not a case of this should only have ever been for one household, people found a way around it and now they're cracking down on it
Is that the case? I assumed it had always been in the small print, but it was so widespreadly ignored that even they were having a chuckle about it on their socials (in the days when their subscriptions were probably in high growth). If it wasn't a rule previously, most of my post can be ignored.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
Is that the case? I assumed it had always been in the small print, but it was so widespreadly ignored that even they were having a chuckle about it on their socials (in the days when their subscriptions were probably in high growth). If it wasn't a rule previously, most of my post can be ignored.
Netflix knew for years that people were sharing passwords but were ok with it. Reed Hastings even talked about it and stated that it wasn't an issue. The problem is that Wall Street demands exponential and continuous growth, which isn't a realistic proposition in virtually any developed sector of the market, which streaming now is.

Ultimately, Netflix has continually increased the prices in the US while offering less value to customers. Now that customers have other viable options, they have left. Netflix has tried to blame this on password sharing, but many of the people sharing passwords are sharing with people (their kids, parents, or other family) who never subscribed to begin with. I will be amused if Netflix ends up adding users but losing money by trading one $17/mo account for two $7/mo accounts, in addition to the people cancelling.

I cancelled mine today after 12.5 years of subscribing since my parents and friend got most of the use out of it. It's not remotely worth $17/mo to me as an individual.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Netflix knew for years that people were sharing passwords but were ok with it. Reed Hastings even talked about it and stated that it wasn't an issue. The problem is that Wall Street demands exponential and continuous growth, which isn't a realistic proposition in virtually any developed sector of the market, which streaming now is.

Ultimately, Netflix has continually increased the prices in the US while offering less value to customers. Now that customers have other viable options, they have left. Netflix has tried to blame this on password sharing, but many of the people sharing passwords are sharing with people (their kids, parents, or other family) who never subscribed to begin with. I will be amused if Netflix ends up adding users but losing money by trading one $17/mo account for two $7/mo accounts, in addition to the people cancelling.

I cancelled mine today after 12.5 years of subscribing since my parents and friend got most of the use out of it. It's not remotely worth $17/mo to me as an individual.
Most of the time it's the non paying one that are watching, not because they can't afford it but they're just... Careful about their money.

When you disconnect your Netflix... I hazzard a guess they'll frantically find a few mates and shares the family package, paying for the bare minimum to get the service.

We're consuming content at a monstrous pace no one streaming site can satisfy our hunger for new movies.

For me personally 20-30 usd per month for a total packet streaming services are an acceptable price of entertainment. We used to pay 5 dollars renting VHS. And i know pirating is an option but is what netflix are charging Outrageus? I think they charge about right.

AaronRedDevil

Cancelled mine today after 10 years. It was a good run. It sucks, but I won't give them money with that disgraceful Household plan.

Gums

It's like the piracy thing. We're losing billions. No mate, there's no chance I'd have spent a few grand I didn't have on all those movies and albums :houllier:
This is it. Being an adult with enough income I don’t mind paying. But don’t pretend you missed out when I ripped your music and games as a pennyless student. There wasn’t any money to be made in a large majority of cases. Just accept it as the cost of doing business and recognise it as being part of youth culture.

Sylar

Most of the time it's the non paying one that are watching, not because they can't afford it but they're just... Careful about their money.

When you disconnect your Netflix... I hazzard a guess they'll frantically find a few mates and shares the family package, paying for the bare minimum to get the service.

We're consuming content at a monstrous pace no one streaming site can satisfy our hunger for new movies.

For me personally 20-30 usd per month for a total packet streaming services are an acceptable price of entertainment. We used to pay 5 dollars renting VHS. And i know pirating is an option but is what netflix are charging Outrageus? I think they charge about right.
I'm not saying I disagree or agree with the bolded, but what is there to suggest this would be the case?

Netflix is good in terms of finding some shows you wouldn't usually watch. But then even with it being the content holder, there's no guarantee that it will get further seasons (if it's ongoing)

Netflix doesn't seem at the stage right now where it's must have and people will actively look to try get subscriptions if they suddenly don't have it anymore (after a period of not paying for it)

Regardless the numbers will certainly be interesting

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
I'm not saying I disagree or agree with the bolded, but what is there to suggest this would be the case?

Netflix is good in terms of finding some shows you wouldn't usually watch. But then even with it being the content holder, there's no guarantee that it will get further seasons (if it's ongoing)

Netflix doesn't seem at the stage right now where it's must have and people will actively look to try get subscriptions if they suddenly don't have it anymore (after a period of not paying for it)

Regardless the numbers will certainly be interesting
I guess we shall see. Off course it will vary but statistic wise. We'll see

Because at the end of the day Netflix is still one if the cheapest entertainment there is.

It doesnt have to be the must have, but just enough to not be the first to cut.

I'd guess you have subscribed to Disneyplus or Hbo or prime or others as substitute for Netflix

Port Vale Devil

Supports
Port Vale
They have cracked on stopping various households using the same subscription as had 2 relatives saying they have been kicked off and what they can do :)

Big Andy

Bloke
They have cracked on stopping various households using the same subscription as had 2 relatives saying they have been kicked off and what they can do :)
My sister has logged in with her computer the sneaky bitch. She’s re setup her profile. Surely that won’t be active for long, being as it’s not on my wifi?

Port Vale Devil

Supports
Port Vale
My sister has logged in with her computer the sneaky bitch. She’s re setup her profile. Surely that won’t be active for long, being as it’s not on my wifi?
Go online to your account and log her out/remove device or similar and blame on crackdown :)

Port Vale Devil

Supports
Port Vale
When they log in it says something about not being the main household/or would you like to register this device as the main household. Extra household on account will be £4.99 I think.

One family member set their own Netflix account up and other member just left it.

Looks like it's working. Subscribers and revenue up massively in the first earnings published since the change.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Have Netflix ended the password share limitation? Seems like it from where I'm sitting.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
If you could pay one fee for most/all services I'd happily pay it, but I'd need to pay individually for 3+ streaming services for movies/tv and 2 or 3 more for PL, CL and FA Cup football. Which would be well north of $100 per month. So I won't pay for any.

AjaxNL

Currently, I'm still sharing netflix with a friend who lives on the other side of town. Didn't think it would still work. At some point she had to confirm our login as 'hers' and after that all was good

Bert_

I got a message earlier saying I'm not part of the household and asking me to create a new account. It's my fecking account :lol:

Obviously don't use it as much as my friends and siblings do the fecking freeloaders!

Big Andy

Bloke
I see the robbing bastards are putting up the price AGAIN. Up to £17.99 for the premium package now.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Does everyone subscribe to Netflix and just stay subscribed?

I cycle between services, I might Netflix for 3 months, Disney for 3 months and so on. I don't see the need as an individual to have all these services all the time. Netflix will have a few good series then nothing for 3-4 months.

Big Andy

Bloke

I cycle between services, I might Netflix for 3 months, Disney for 3 months and so on. I don't see the need as an individual to have all these services all the time. Netflix will have a few good series then nothing for 3-4 months.
I have Netflix as my kids watch it a lot, I cycle the rest like Disney+ whenever there's something I want to watch, I'm currently on a 3 months for £1,99 a month with Disney, after which I'll sack it off again.

Mrs has amazon prime for the millions of daily deliveries she seems to get, so that pays for itself with free deliveries, I've only ever had Paramount+ when it's free.

Pretty much. Partly because my subscription is still linked to when i lived in a country that charged about a fiver for the top package. We're stuck with it, I watch it from time to time but mostly its used for Paw Patrol these days.